• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The future of NPD info on NeoGAF (Update)

andthebeatgoeson

Sweet, I only really care about hardware. I'm sure there will be other type of threads OR people who keep track of LTD for software who can keep us up to dates in other LIMITED fashions. Do we really need to know how much Bug's Life sold 4 months after release? No. At the end of the day, we just need rough estimates. Yes or no, GOW sold over 500K or 750K or 1000K. Top 20 in software is more than enough.

Crom

Do you guys think they wil give the top ten for each console?

I mainly care about new releases.

R&R

Not even a very avid follower of sales-age but great deal...congratulations to all of those who made this happen.

mj1108

Wow, what a way to handle this by NPD. Kudos to them. They certainly didn't have to do this by any stretch. Really awesome of them to do this for us.

Gio_CoD

Banned
This is surprisingly generous of NPD. To be honest, I always kind of thought GAF would be sued out of existence by them one of these days.

GhaleonEB

EviLore said:
Hi folks. So I've been in contact with the NPD Group.

As you all know they've asked us to not post the full NPD data, so we won't be doing that anymore (it's their intellectual property after all). This isn't the end of NPD info on GAF directly, however; upon request, each month (on the day the data gets dropped) NPD will provide me with:

Yeah, so that sort of stuff shows up on other sites too. But that's not the end of it:

So there you have it. Not a bad situation, eh?
A very, very pleasant surprise to wake up to. They don't have to do this, so really anthing is what I'd consider above and beyond. Their willingness to share that much data, plus answer questions, is downright generous. Long live NPD

koam

Can we stick to a specific format each month?

For example, can they provide us with only the following info each month:

1 - Hardware totals for each console/handheld
2 - Top 30 sales across the board
3 - New releases sales

Bonus: Top 10 sales per platform.

explodet

NPD said:
a synopsis of the market, which includes the Top 20 with unit sales, install base LTD and monthly for each platform
So a top 20 for each platform? Sounds good to me, kudos.
I don't suppose we could have - if they already haven't been posted - the Top 20s for November 2006? :D

Gio_CoD

Banned
I think you guys might be expecting a little bit too much out of this. If I had to guess, I think NPD is going to offer the hardware sales, the top 20 software sales across all platforms, and probably 5 or so special requests each month. And I think that's being REALLY generous. The people asking for the top 20 on each platform are really kind of stretching it.

scarybore

Haleon said:
I think you guys might be expecting a little bit too much out of this. If I had to guess, I think NPD is going to offer the hardware sales, the top 20 software sales across all platforms, and probably 5 or so special requests each month. And I think that's being REALLY generous. The people asking for the top 20 on each platform are really kind of stretching it.

That's better than nothing, which is what the NPD could have given us. No doubt they were swayed by our courteous mods and admins. :D Nice of them to do this anyways.

Pud

Banned
NPD respect +100
EvilLore respect +100

Way to work it out! And early Christmas present for this forum :)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Haleon said:
This is surprisingly generous of NPD. To be honest, I always kind of thought GAF would be sued out of existence by them one of these days.
:lol :lol

I mean :( if it actually happened

but :lol :lol because he has a point. making the trailer and putting neogaf in there was bad enough.. putting it on youtube was a slap in their face.

Folks:

If there is one thing you all need to learn is this: don't throw a shit fit and be courteous at all times. NPD took the time out to contact us, we wrote back, and now they've decided to work directly with us. Having the top 20 is valuable, but even more valuable is establishing DIALOGUE between NPD and you all.

birdchili

i didn't really realize that i cared much about these numbers until the threat of not seeing them arose:)

big respect to the relevant gaf mods and the decidedly reasonable NPD on this front.

(although i will miss the whole "leaked" aspect of things... this seems so... legit now:)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
WasabiKing said:
Folks:

If there is one thing you all need to learn is this: don't throw a shit fit and be courteous at all times. NPD took the time out to contact us, we wrote back, and now they've decided to work directly with us. Having the top 20 is valuable, but even more valuable is establishing DIALOGUE between NPD and you all.

So this means I can get them to inflate Viva Pinata numbers? ;)

GhaleonEB

WasabiKing said:
Folks:

I couldn't agree more. honestly, that's what is so pleasantly surprising about the entire situation. NPD could have easily dropped a C&D an demanded an end to it. As it is, both sides are being more than reasonable: NPD provides a limited set of data directly to us, and GAF enforces the rules that we don't tolorate leaks going forward. It's great for us, and actually helps NPD as it builds their reputation while plugging leaks at the same time. It's the definition of a win-win, for them and GAF.

One question: has it been worked out how and when the communication will happen? I guess as a member here as we get closer to NPD time next month I'd like to have my expectations set for who will be receiving and posting NPD data, and if possible when that happens. (same day as usual? later on in that day? etc.)

Brannon

Hell, I don't even participate in the NPD threads, but I do love seeing everybody else get excited/angry/beffudled at the magical numbers.

Carry on!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I totally respect this. They've got good people working over there to recogonize both the value of their name (NPD) and the value of their data.

And does that put GAF up there with "elite media outlets?"

:lol

Anyway, good work EvilLore.

GhaleonEB

Haleon said:
That's more than we got this month and it was plenty to stimulate lots of discussion. As it is we got ~5 of the top games and some but not all of the hardware. And considering NPD does not have to give us anything, I don't think we're in a situation to complain. They're bein unusually generous.

And really, the vast majority of the data leaked never got much discussion anyways, it was just a data dump for the curious. The big titles and hardware sales always dominate the discussion. As they should.

Gio_CoD

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
That's more than we got this month and it was plenty to stimulate lots of discussion. As it is we got ~5 of the top games and some but not all of the hardware. And considering NPD does not have to give us anything, I don't think we're in a situation to complain. They're bein unusually generous.

And really, the vast majority of the data leaked never got much discussion anyways, it was just a data dump for the curious. The bit titles and hardware sales always dominate the discussion. As they should.
You guys know I wasn't saying that was a bad thing, right? I said right in that post that I thought it was "REALLY generous". I'm just telling the people asking for top 20s for each individual platform that they might want to set their bar a little lower.

GhaleonEB

Haleon said:
You guys know I wasn't saying that was a bad thing, right? I said right in that post that I thought it was "REALLY generous". I'm just telling the people asking for top 20s for each individual platform that they might want to set their bar a little lower.
Oh, I understand. I was less responding directly to you than adding to your comments. My point being, more data is nice but absolutely not needed for the bulk of the discussion that happens each month, and this month is a good example. That's all.

RumFore

Banned
Bah there should be no info at all. Some people take the data way to seriously to the point it looks like they get a hard on when there hear the DS sells 3X more than the PSP or the 360 sells less than a quarter million. Way over the top.

Gio_CoD

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Oh, I understand. I was less responding directly to you than adding to your comments. My point being, more data is nice but absolutely not needed for the bulk of the discussion that happens each month, and this month is a good example. That's all.
I agree. We only ever talk about hardware numbers and the top ten list. Sometimes we ask for sales numbers on shit titles so we can laugh at how poorly they sold, and hell, we can still do that even.

GhaleonEB

Just one other thought - I like that NPD is treating GAF as a media outlet, rather than some random message board. I think they understand that GAF is different, that it has a pretty good place in the industry with lots of visibility. They took us seriously, and saw an opportunity there. I think a great deal of credit goes to the GAF staff for helping the community to grow into that position.

Drakken

GhaleonEB said:
Just one other thought - I like that NPD is treating GAF as a media outlet, rather than some random message board. I think they understand that GAF is different, that it has a pretty good place in the industry with lots of visibility. They took us seriously, and saw an opportunity there. I think a great deal of credit goes to the GAF staff for helping the community to grow into that position.

Yeah, that's pretty cool. Thanks, NPD and Neo GAF staff!

heidern

Crom said:
Do you guys think they wil give the top ten for each console?

Not a chance. But I think even a top 3 for the main platforms would be enough. With a top 20 you'll probably find ps2/360/DS dominate in the short term with the Wii/psp/ps3 fighting to get one or two spots. With the prediction that 23 games were over 100K this month we might even find the ps3 fails to register any games in the top 20. A top 3(or hey maybe a top 4 or 5) would at least give a good idea how each platform is doing.

Even so, a top 20 is more than we sometimes used to get, and well, the drip feeding of numbers that sometimes used to happen was a bit tedious. Hopefully we also get all the hardware numbers too and don't have those months where psp numbers disappeared or Nintendo handheld numbers were all combined.

If there is one thing you all need to learn is this: don't throw a shit fit and be courteous at all times.

Yeah but this is GAF, over reaction is to be expected no? Although to be fair, I think there was a massive build up over this NPD month and the expectation for top 200, the trailer and everything else. The disappointment wasn't so much over the fact that NPD clamped down, just that they had to clamp down at this particular time.

But props to the NPD. Tolerating the wholesale abuse of their numbers was beyond cool but maybe it was going a bit far(it was fun while it lasted though), and this resolution at least is in some ways better than what we used to get.

ethelred

duckroll said:
I was expecting a total banhammer on NPD sales data considering how much we've been abusing subscription information freely here. That's really surprisingly nice of them to compromise with us so we can continue to discuss the market without having to infringe on their bread and butter. Good news all around. :D

Late to the thread, but... yeah, what he said. Surprisingly enough, I have to give major props to NPD.

Ikael

GAF definitely isn't a piece of major gaming media the way that, say, IGN is

I beg to disagree. GAF is one of the best sources of videogaming information on the web. I have linked it from my website many times, as well as another videogame outlets, even if they decide to omit the source.

This place is awesome for getting obscure information, not only on sales but also import gaming impressions and industry inside knowdegle, we all know that there are Microsoft & Hudson employees, for example. I am damn sure that GAF is the most important videogaming forum on the web. Heck, even other forums imitates it (half of the GAF topics appears reflected on www.elotrolado.net, another huge Spanish videogaming forums).

Ikael said:
I beg to disagree. GAF is one of the best sources of videogaming information on the web.

Quality != importance. GAF is a great news aggregator because of how many people with access to different sources pop in here to report things, but it doesn't get the eyeballs I'd say officially determine a "major" outlet.

Though your post pretty much agrees in description with what I was trying to say -- GAF is a good nexus for industry info, so discussing the NPD numbers here pretty much increases their "value" by giving them added credibility and bringing them to more people's attention.

While it disappoints me that I will no longer be able to get the handheld and console software LTDs that are DIRE to TEVS [TEVS no am mores? :( ], I am glad they didn't cut us out comepletely.

Now the money question: How are we all goign to agree on what the tidbits should be outside of Top 20 LTDs?

Ds has a LOT of interesting titles to get numbers for: Animal Crossing, NSMB, Metroid, Brain Training, Nintendogs, Super Princess Peach, and various license titles to find out whether it's hit mainstream yet.

This month alone should see a DRASTIC increase in DS software, so what is a poor Nintendo fan to do in regards to trackign those?

We need a compromise or topic

Top Bottom