• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Developers Conference 2006 Thread (Part II)

TwIsTeD

granted we all already own a box that can deliver the classic gaming experiences, but now its 100% legal........ and costs $$$$$$$ :-(

jj984jj said:
But really their GDC conferences were about the same, Sony has given us more information about the PS3 because of last week obivously, but their GDC showing was about equal to Nintendo's.

Considering Sony actually showed demos and trailers for their next gen games how is Nintendo even close to their showing when they showed nothing about the Rev?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
SolidSnakex said:
Considering Sony actually showed demos and trailers for their next gen games how is Nintendo even close to their showing when they showed nothing about the Rev?
Zelda game >>>> demo trailers.

methodman

Banned
norinrad21 said:
Zelda looks amazing, I had no idea this was even capable on the DS, holyshittttt

And people wonder why nintendo games sell the best on their own consoles...

edit: of course i mean from 3rd party games/ nintendo games :)

500MB would easily hold a couple dozen N64 games and a couple hundred Genesis games and still have a ton of space left over. If N64 games are $10, and Genesis games are $5, at this point you've spent $1,240 on games and are still on that original 500MB of flash.

snatches

Mrbob said:
Yeah but when you go up against heavy hitter games, the best games of the 16 bit era, your sales will be affected. XBLA will be fine. An announcement isn't ownz0ring anything. MS has been more aggressive at securing indie games.

How do you know MS has been more aggressive at securing indie games? I;m not saying XBLA will curl up and die. But if both companies want to be prividing the "itunes of the games industry"; with this announcement, Nintendo is 5000% closer to that goal. You can admit this at least.

Snow

This thread has me a bit lost, so can anyone tell me if this has been discussed already?

From the press release:
The new forms of innovative software that can be created by any size developer will be made available for download via Revolution's Virtual Console service.
Original content will be made available through Virtual Console, apparently. Am I reading this right?

My preview of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass Images after the text.

Article by Chris Playo

To the delight of countless gaming enthusiasts, Nintendo has finally shown the first Legend of Zelda title for the Nintendo DS. Known as Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, forthcoming DS game will feature a cell-shaded graphical style similar to that found in The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker on the Nintendo GameCube.

The entirely three-dimensional offering from Nintendo incorporates a viewpoint similar to the one found in Animal Crossing DS. Like the previously released DS title, Phantom Hourglass has an automatically panning camera that is enabled whenever Link talks with people in the game. While the game's art style resembles the "cartoony" theme of Wind Waker, the field of vision and character perspective is more closely related to Animal Crossing.

In what can be described as a greatly improved Wind Waker for the N64, the upcoming Zelda title for the DS is bound to be one of the most visually impressive game's available for the system. Asides from the obvious aesthetic value present within the title, it appears that Nintendo is planning to pack the game full of traditional Zelda-esque content as well as a variety of new features.

The video shown during Satoru Iwata's keynote address shows the stylus of the Nintendo DS being used to draw various symbols as well as a required aspect of solving various puzzles within the game's adventure mode. The touch screen of the device also serves to incorporate another nifty feature, as the stylus can be used to mark the path of Link's bomerang, enabling him to easily and effectively attack enemies.

Nintendo has also taken a page out of the immensely popular Super Nintendo release of A Link To the Past, as Phantom Hourglass contains nostalgia evoking Crystal Switches. Further drawing from the series past, the upcoming DS title features a sailboat that is fairly comparable to the one found in Wind Waker.

Those who have played the GCN release will be glad to know that Nintendo has heeded your words and is providing a much more simplified way to cross the seas and travel the game's large overworld. Users can simply pull up a map showcasing a variety of different selectable coordinates. This is certainly welcome news as sailing in Wind Waker ultimately proved to be time consuming and frustrating.

The demo shown today at the Game Developers Conference did not showcase a variety of different enemies, however an intriguing boss battle was shown pitting everyones favorite hero against a foe riding a mysterious looking whirlwind in an arena like dungeon.

We'll have more on Zelda for the Nintendo DS as we will have an updated Media section straight from GDC uploaded soon. Stay tuned

Sorry for the overly high-res DS shots, I didn't take them, and I have a feeling that if they are downsized they will look like arse.

zeldahourglasss_004.jpg
zeldahourglasss_003.jpg
zeldahourglasss_002.jpg

zeldahourglasss_001.jpg

Mrbob

snatches said:
How do you know MS has been more aggressive at securing indie games? I;m not saying XBLA will curl up and die. But if both companies want to be prividing the "itunes of the games industry"; with this announcement, Nintendo is 5000% closer to that goal. You can admit this at least.

Nintendo is 5000% closer? Really? They have a deal with one of the biggest indie games publisher developer to develop indie games on their platform like MS and X360?

http://www.garagegames.com/solutions/games/

PopCap is already onboard with the X360 too. So there you go, the biggest indie publishers already have stuff available *now* on XBLA.

Also, how many games you gonna fit in the 512MB flash memory? SD card isn't the best solution, as they are overpiced compared to the 20gig hdd. Will there be free playable demos for every Virtual Console game? Who is working with them besides the big boys? There is much to be determined.

All I see is PR fluff at the moment.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
SolidSnakex said:
I think the point they are trying to get accross for ages now is that you should play their future games and not just see them to get an idea what they are all about. I'm sure we'll see plenty of playable stuff at E3. This is a developers conference anyways and at a keynote, announcements of middleware platforms is much more useful than showing of game demos. The details are for lectures and panels.

Juice

There seems to be some confusion about the genesis. There won't be 1000 games available, there will be a "best of" of the Genesis's 1000 games available.

that means 14-20 sega-published games.

Draft

snatches said:
you are going to have to pass the doobie first so we can all wrap our heads around concepts like being "5000% closer" to something. Then perhaps we can all admit that, at least.

Sysgen

GDC: Sony Q&A raises PS3 HDD, controller questions

Affable on stage, Harrison grew testy at the questions directed at him. After repeating Sony's previous assertions that all PlayStation 3 games would require the hard drive to run, he rebuffed questions on whether PlayStation 3 would ship with it. "I'm head of software studios, not hardware," said a vexed Harrison. His remarks appeared to contradict recent European press reports that said Sony had confirmed that the next-gen console would come bundled with a 60GB HDD.

snatches said:

I'd say the company that has implemented and deliver something is closer at this point. Who the hell knows what is going to happen in this battle. Indie games will definitely be a key component, I know some wives who have gotten into the casual gaming thing and they are lot more interested in the next Zuma or Bejewled than playing Sonic or Mario.

teiresias

demo trailers are 5000% better than Zelda DS

. . . see how fun this is . . . wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

In any case, unless Nintendo gave them a big wad of cash I don't see why the Genesis and/or Turbographix stuff would necessarily be exclusive to Rev if MS or Sony had an interest in providing such content over their systems. Obviously, they don't have the Nintendo library though, but I'm still wondering about the pricepoint these things will be - they can't be wanting to completely canabilize the ever-present handheld re-releases of this stuff that Nintendo likes to put out.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wax Free Vanilla said:
Latest PS3 devkit:

ps3devkit3pl.jpg

ps3devkit28ie.jpg

Nice, thank you. The form factor is getting there. Pity there is nothing to compare the size to, but it certainly looks smaller than the older kits.

Can't believe they're using the AV-multi-out instead of the HDMI-out :lol

Also, MTV had a nice wrap-up of Sony's conference, including word that Harrison was spotted privately talking to Tetsuya Miziguchi about making games for PS3's downloadable games service..

http://www.mtv.com/games/video_games/news/story.jhtml?id=1526859

This might have been posted a few pages ago but seeing how it's taking me 5 minutes to load every page I didn't run a check...

Three demos have proven to be key points for Microsoft and its publishing partners: Project Gotham Racing 3, Fight Night Round 3, and The Outfit. PGR3 received more than 100,000 downloads, even though it was actually posted on Marketplace well after the game's release. Fight Night Round 3 played a big part of CES this year and was the first downloadable demo prior to a game's release. It received 200,000 downloads in two weeks. Microsoft originally attributed this success to the fact that Bill Gates and Steve Balmer played the game at CES and hyped it. But the download of The Outfit, which hit Xbox Live about two weeks ago, proved that notion wrong. The Outfit was downloaded 200,000 times in the first week and was the first downloadable demo to release prior to the full retail release with online play. Microsoft's conclusion? Downloadable games are rapidly growing in popularity and the easy process of downloading is a big reason why.

Demos ftw

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/697/697895p1.html

Rocked

Nintendo is likely to get more Japanese support on their service.

Do you need a subscription to download Xbox arcade games?

----

Banned
How the hell is Nintendo 5000% closer to doing something that only Microsoft has been doing on consoles for over a year (XBLA)?

It always amazes me how on this forum Xbox Live is constantly being defeated by Sony and Nintendo products and networks which have yet to even materialize.

Mrbob said:
Yeah but when you go up against heavy hitter games, the best games of the 16 bit era, your sales will be affected.
People still buy plenty of new games even when there are great games of the same and previous generation available for less than half the price. I assume people will have some interest in small Revolution games versus 5-25 year old games. Though certainly if at launch the lineup is 200 legacy games and 10 original, I'd expect the legacy games to have an edge.

Mrbob

Rocked said:
Nintendo is likely to get more Japanese support on their service.

Do you need a subscription to download Xbox arcade games?

Just Xbox Live Silver, which is free.

How the hell is Nintendo 5000% closer to doing something that only Microsoft has been doing on consoles for over a year (XBLA)?

It always amazes me how on this forum Xbox Live is constantly being defeated by Sony and Nintendo products and networks which have yet to even materialize

Hahaha, so true.

fresquito

Wow, Zelda looks ace for the DS. Some parts were incredible knowing the hardware it´s running on. Others not that much.

About the Keynote itself, the biggest news for me is the fact that indie developed games will be available to download. It´s great. I think the whole concept and people the console it´s aimed to, will make use of this feature more intensively than XBLA ever has been used. People getting a Revolution want to try something new, even if it´s less powerfull. It makes great oportunities for indie developers, at least in principle alone.

gofreak said:
Also, MTV had a nice wrap-up of Sony's conference, including word that Harrison was spotted privately talking to Tetsuya Miziguchi about making games for PS3's downloadable games service..

Getting an online version of Lumines on that service would be awesome.

snatches

Draft said:
you are going to have to pass the doobie first so we can all wrap our heads around concepts like being "5000% closer" to something. Then perhaps we can all admit that, at least.

*passes the dutchie to da left hand side*

seriously though. 90% of XBLA content is bad IMO. Geometry Wars is currently the only thing worth playing. The difference and preferences developed in this race to downloadable content profit will be in the selection of product available. And right now, Nintendo seems poised to have a big lead in this category, and the lowest priced point of entry (low priced console).

And yes, Mr. Bob, no doubt we have to see the original games first to make a call, and MS is doing a good job with Garage Games and Popcap. But surely those were easy deals that we are bound to see replicated on Sony and Nintendo's machine. The differentiator looks to be the quality of Legacy content available (nintendo wins) and the quality of unique content (undetermined at this point). The Revmote sure is promising for delivering unique, inexpensive downloadable games, though.

---- said:

It always amazes me how on this forum Xbox Live is constantly being defeated by Sony and Nintendo products and networks which have yet to even materialize.

Umm...

Mrbob

snatches said:
*passes the dutchie to da left hand side*

seriously though. 90% of XBLA content is bad IMO. Geometry Wars is currently the only thing worth playing. The difference and preferences developed in this race to downloadable content profit will be in the selection of product available. And right now, Nintendo seems poised to have a big lead in this category, and the lowest priced point of entry (low priced console).

And yes, Mr. Bob, no doubt we have to see the original games first to make a call, and MS is doing a good job with Garage Games and Popcap. But surely those were easy deals that we are bound to see replicated on Sony and Nintendo's machine. The differentiator looks to be the quality of Legacy content available (nintendo wins) and the quality of unique content (undetermined at this point). The Revmote sure is promising for delivering unique, inexpensive downloadable games, though.

Of course Virtual Console is going to have huge sales. The back catalog for NES, SNES, and N64 games alone will guarantee this.

And there is the rub.

Nintendo systems sell mostly Nintendo games. There isn't much room for others. Don't know how you can see Indie games will flourish on the Virtual Console when more than likely the opposite will be true. Most indie games will be ignored because everyone will be buying all the greatest back catalogue of NES, SNES, and N64 games. We haven't even touched Genesis or, to a lesser extent, T16 yet.

shuri

Banned
I hope that the oldschool games will be modified to add multiplayer support like on xbox live arcade. Other than that, I won't bother

snatches

Mrbob said:
Of course Virtual Console is going to have huge sales. The back catalog for NES, SNES, and N64 games alone will guarantee this.

And there is the rub.

Nintendo systems sell mostly Nintendo games. There isn't much room for others.

But what if the indie games use this? You have yet to respond to this point......

rev_controller-747295.jpg

Mrbob

snatches said:
But what if the indie games use this? You have yet to respond to this point......

rev_controller-747295.jpg

So what about the Revmote?

Some may use it. I'm not against indie games on the virtual console. I hope the Rev indie games do support it. Doesn't mean that it'll become the standard to which every developer will aspire to use. I'm arguing aginst your absurd viewpoint that XBLA is already crushed.

Especially when XBLA games have already proven themselves to be extremely successful:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/697/697895p1.html

Xbox Live Arcade games have also been ridiculously successful. There are 20 games on Live Arcade to date, more than 3 million downloads to date, and more than 60% of 360 owners on Live have downloaded Xbox Live Arcade games. To date, the top five worldwide downloads, in descending order, are: Geometry Wars, Marble Blast Ultra, Gauntlet, Smash TV, and Zuma. Interested parties can submit games and ideas to arcade@microsoft.com. Marble Blast Ultra's success is especially note-worthy as it's only been available for about one month.

GhaleonEB

I thought Iwata's speech was oddly disjointed.

He talked about the need for disruption and non-games, then talked about old games for an hour. Then he revealed the very traditional new Zelda game (arguably the most dependable GAME franchise out there) and that was the big deal - which undercut his point about disruptive non-games I thought. (And for those who keept saying, "This isn't E3" - why did he announce Zelda then? To have something to announce, of course.)

After all the talk of amazing new features on the Revolution and the controller it's revealed that - we'll get to play lots of really old games on it (for a fee)! I'm all for emulation (the Live Arcade stuff has me excited, but part of that excitement is because the games have online play and voice communication added to old games like Smash TV.) Again, the talk about revolutionary features followed up by old games just undercut his message.

Seemed like a mis-mash of topics wihout a central message, and the messages conveyed contradicted each other. Not impressed.

Raw64life

Leonsito said:
What about Will Wright guys, any news?

He played Brain Training. He lost.

Also, I think it's interesting to note how all the DS stuff was still being shown on the regular DS (even the Zelda DS footage). Even they're getting ready for a surprise launch or it's still a ways off.

Top Bottom