• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Developers Conference 2006 Thread (Part II)

I did not know about XBLA on XBox. I guess I didn't know MS wanted me to pay them for a disc that would allow me to use it.

GhaleonEB said:
I thought Iwata's speech was oddly disjointed.

He talked about the need for disruption and non-games, then talked about old games for an hour. Then he revealed the very traditional new Zelda game (arguably the most dependable GAME franchise out there) and that was the big deal - which undercut his point about disruptive non-games I thought. (And for those who keept saying, "This isn't E3" - why did he announce Zelda then? To have something to announce, of course.)

After all the talk of amazing new features on the Revolution and the controller it's revealed that - we'll get to play lots of really old games on it (for a fee)! I'm all for emulation (the Live Arcade stuff has me excited, but part of that excitement is because the games have online play and voice communication added to old games like Smash TV.) Again, the talk about revolutionary features followed up by old games just undercut his message.

Seemed like a mis-mash of topics wihout a central message, and the messages conveyed contradicted each other. Not impressed.

Zelda uses touchscreen control. It's not a traditional entry in the series. I'm quite burnt out on Zelda, and I'm pumped about the possibilities.

he connected VC with his non-gamer philosophy by saying how they would be new expeirences to the younger generations of gamers, and to those who've never played games before.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
sorryaboutdresden said:
zeldahourglasss_003.jpg

lol ds sucks

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
shantyman said:
Am I the only one who could care less about old f'n Genesis and Turbografx games?
Don't forget Castlevania:Rhondo of Blood was only released on TG16 in Japan. Given that Sin & Punishment was Japan only and it's already confirmed for Revolution VC, there may be a chance we'll see it. The only reason I could see them not including it would be because it was a CD game, not a cartridge game. One CD game could take up the entire 512MB of flash memory. Maybe there's a way they can compress the file or recode the music to midi though. I'd hate to see the music in MIDI format, but if that's what it takes to get the game, so be it. It's not out of the question though, some of the music from Rhondo was in Circle of the Moon, so it's possible it could work.

I liked iwatas speech, Nintendo has a Bright Future with Rev IMO
the download content is AMAZING to say the least and I for one is very exited for REV

And Zelda DS looks sweet!
that game alone is going to make me have to buy a DS

how much is the DS lite in USA?

GDC is just a tiny thing compared to E3 and so many awesome news have come out of GDC this year.
Just Imagine when sony,nintendo brings out their BIG guns at E3 this year

OVERLOAD

its going to be amazing

MGS4
new Mario
REV playable
PS3 playable

and tons of other new games for REV and PS3

Prine

Banned
So thats it? Zelda on DS? Thats Nintendo's bomb?

I was hoping for Rev demo's at least, what a dissapointing event. Sony carried the whole damn show

snatches

Mrbob said:
So what about the Revmote?

Some may use it. I'm not against indie games on the virtual console. I hope the Rev indie games do support it. Doesn't mean that it'll become the standard to which every developer will aspire to use. I'm arguing aginst your absurd viewpoint that XBLA is already crushed.

Especially when XBLA games have already proven themselves to be extremely successful:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/697/697895p1.html

I'm saying that independant games that use the Revmote in imaginative ways gives the average Rev owner a reason to look past Nintendo legacy software. Do you agree or disagree?

And I never said XBLA was crushed, and I even posted that I don't believe XBLA will die or go away a few posts ago. As a gamer, I find Nintendo's plan for the Virtual Console service much more compelling. And this is only an opinion.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Here's another perspective on the new PS3 kits, which may give a better idea of relative size:

expo066qo.jpg

Definitely seems much smaller than the older ones..I wonder if it's quieter ;)

I wish someone would ask Wright what he thought about the Revolution, and if we could see Spore on it. AMN interviewed him and he confirmed it would be coming to the PSP and DS.

Come on insiders! Pretty please with a cherry on top?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Just a thought that I had (and most likely other's have had as well) is the downloading feature for Nintendo's "Virtual Console".

Why pay a fee? Why not a loyalty thing, whereby the products you are buying, i.e. games, are then turned into credit for whatever classic game you want to purchase. They've been kinda pushing for the whole Nintendo Club thing in Japan so it might not be too surprising if they do the same thing for the Virtual Console.

Again, who knows what will happen. Reason why I propped up the theory is because this is Nintendo we're talking about and their stance has always been "as long as it is accessible for everyone". Credit cards aren't very viable to one of their biggest audiences, according to many critics and analysts, children.. therefore the purchasing of said classics seems a bit hard to do for them. Heck, even I don't own a credit card.

jarosh

i think it's safe to say that most of the game (zelda) will be controlled with the stylus. i've just watched the hi-res version of the trailer and it's very clear that you move the fairy and then link follows her.

Hero

Jeez, Zelda DS looks amazing. I love the part where the player drew the path for the boomerang. Can't wait to play it.

Also, Genesis and TG16 on VC = hot.

Opens up possibilities for NiGHTs and Panzer Dragoon. Hoping some more old school arcade support too.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
jarosh said:
i think it's safe to say that most of the game (zelda) will be controlled with the stylus. i've just watched the hi-res version of the trailer and it's very clear that you move the fairy and then link follows her.

lol again

Mrbob

snatches said:
I'm saying that independant games that use the Revmote in imaginative ways gives the average Rev owner a reason to look past Nintendo legacy software. Do you agree or disagree?

Disagree. The Rev gamer is mainly going to look at Nintendo games and not give 3rd party games much of a shot.

snatches said:
And I never said XBLA was crushed, and I even posted that I don't believe XBLA will die or go away a few posts ago. As a gamer, I find Nintendo's plan for the Virtual Console service much more compelling. And this is only an opinion.

I guess I misinterpreted this then:

snatches said:
Virtual Console will own XBLA: There is no denying it now. Having a third party lineup of over 1000 downloadable games for the genesis + turbografx, plus all of the legacy Nintendo stuff from the NES, SNES, and N64, is absolutely massive news. Also announcing that they are welcoming third parties to create new games downloadable through their service that could take advantage of the Revmote is huge as well. If I was creating a simple, low cost game, I would rather be experimenting with an awesome new control scheme than just creating an HD Pop games type of stuff we are seeing on XBLA. Nintendo just fucking owned XBLA. Simple as that.

With no basis besides PR fluff. Whereas I showed you concrete examples of MS working with Indie games developers/publishers. Oh well this is the same shit as with Sonys supposed equal to Xbox Live online service talk. All talk, no substance. Yet somehow MS is already ownz0redz.

Turbographix 16 is a big coup IMO.

That's one console I never played. Bonk's Adventure was the shit when I first saw it in motion. Also want to try out some of the arcade shooters. Splatterhouse? MAKE IT HAPPEN NAMCO.

genesis and turbographix are pretty cool systems, but once the nostalgia wears off most of the games are terrible and probably wont get played for more than a few minutes at a time

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Mrbob said:
With no basis besides PR fluff. Whereas I showed you concrete examples of MS working with Indie games developers/publishers. Oh well this is the same shit as with Sonys supposed equal to Xbox Live online service talk. All talk, no substance. Yet somehow MS is already ownz0redz.
Probably because Microsoft have an actual console that is out on the market to work with? As far as your comments go about people hyping up features based upon PR, conferences, or whatever the norm is.. practically the same thing happens with every new console - regardless of what stance or whoever's side you bat for.

Hell, I am actually glad about this whole downloading classic thing. It's made companies work that extra hard bit more to gain more $$$. Who is happier? Personally I am because I have a choice to grab all 3 consoles and take my pick as to what I want.

xaosslug

snatches said:
*passes the dutchie to da left hand side*

seriously though. 90% of XBLA content is bad IMO. Geometry Wars is currently the only thing worth playing. The difference and preferences developed in this race to downloadable content profit will be in the selection of product available. And right now, Nintendo seems poised to have a big lead in this category, and the lowest priced point of entry (low priced console).

And yes, Mr. Bob, no doubt we have to see the original games first to make a call, and MS is doing a good job with Garage Games and Popcap. But surely those were easy deals that we are bound to see replicated on Sony and Nintendo's machine. The differentiator looks to be the quality of Legacy content available (nintendo wins) and the quality of unique content (undetermined at this point). The Revmote sure is promising for delivering unique, inexpensive downloadable games, though.

hmmm, but what about all Sony's PSOne stuff, I thought they had some kind of downloadable PSOne Legacy content in the works?

maybe, I'm confuslded....

snatches said:
But what if the indie games use this? You have yet to respond to this point......

rev_controller-747295.jpg

a mouse could answer that pretty good, i think.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Since I've been away from a PC all day, is there a video of Iwata's full keynote? I already saw the Zelda video. Thanks.

gofreak said:
Here's another perspective on the new PS3 kits, which may give a better idea of relative size:

expo066qo.jpg

Definitely seems much smaller than the older ones..I wonder if it's quieter ;)

It looks like it might be longer than the old dev kits but alot thinner.

speedpop said:
It's a "best of" Joe. So you can practically expect all the good first-party games to hit initially.

Fixed.

Do we know what Genesis rightsholders other than Sega are on board yet?

I'm not trolling, I'd really like to know.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
speedpop said:
Just a thought that I had (and most likely other's have had as well) is the downloading feature for Nintendo's "Virtual Console".

Why pay a fee? Why not a loyalty thing, whereby the products you are buying, i.e. games, are then turned into credit for whatever classic game you want to purchase. They've been kinda pushing for the whole Nintendo Club thing in Japan so it might not be too surprising if they do the same thing for the Virtual Console.

Again, who knows what will happen. Reason why I propped up the theory is because this is Nintendo we're talking about and their stance has always been "as long as it is accessible for everyone". Credit cards aren't very viable to one of their biggest audiences, according to many critics and analysts, children.. therefore the purchasing of said classics seems a bit hard to do for them. Heck, even I don't own a credit card.

Nintendo said something similar to a gift card could be purchased in brick and mortar stores and then used to download gaes for Revolution. It would be cool if your club Nintendo points could be used for free downloads though.

snatches

Mrbob said:
Disagree. The Rev gamer is mainly going to look at Nintendo games and not give 3rd party games much of a shot.

I guess I misinterpreted this then:

Well, look at my post history, we have been on the same side of a lot of debates. Today's announcements about Virtual Console tell me Nintendo is well on their way to a more successful service than XBLA, even if it is only because of Nintendo Legacy titles.

But why would a Rev owner ignore inexpensive third party downloads that show how cool their new Revmote is?

Ideas:

A day at the Lake : Fishing simulator, 2 player online co-op. $9.99

Real Swordplay : A basic swordfighting game, with multiplayer. $9.99

Duck Hunt Revolution : Speaks for itself. $9.99

It's all speculation, but it's more compelling than anything possible with arcade, by virtue of the interface alone.

I could give numerous other examples, but many have already been quoted on this and other forums.

snatches

xaosslug said:
hmmm, but what about all Sony's PSOne stuff, I thought they had some kind of downloadable PSOne Legacy content in the works?

maybe, I'm confuslded....

a mouse could answer that pretty good, i think.

NES, SNES, and N64 library >>>>>>> PSone library

and as for your mouse comparison, NO, IT COULDN'T

Kato

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Konami, Working Designs, Treasure...

Yeah man, I know, there are a lot of fun games on the Genny besides first party titles..Those were just the ones that came to mind while having my second glass of Scotch :)

SuperPac

GhaleonEB said:
I thought Iwata's speech was oddly disjointed.

Obviously, there's a shit-ton of Rev information that we don't have. Nintendo keeps stuff like this close to their chest. The place to make the majority of those announcements for the biggest impact is E3. That's when the press and the public will get their first crack at the machine, and if Iwata is right that you have to experience it to understand it then that's the perfect place to demonstrate it.

The message of this talk was that you don't have to devote millions of dollars, a huge team and years of development to get a hit. (Brain Training - 90 days, $100,000 and a tiny team.) And the idea for such a hit doesn't have to come from traditional game designers.

Unfortunately, this message is falling on deaf ears because those that make the decisions in the US want licenses, graphical powerhouses, etc. It's a difference in focus. The US concentrates on the hardcore audience, while in Japan, the hardcore market has shrunk considerably over the past few years and now the vast majority of hits are created for the casual audience.

That said, his other message was delivering new experiences using tried and true franchise characters, and the example of that is the new DS Zelda. Which is familiar but played in a vastly different way to previous installments in the series. Compare that to most game sequels of today that play nearly the same from game to game.

D3VI0US

Horrible keynote IMO. Brain Training is old news and they've drive the blue ocean disruptive tech spiel into the ground. No Rev presence at all? What are they thinking, show off the controller, show the tech demos at least, let us see it in action. No details about WiFi or VC for Rev as far as interfaces or mock ups go sucks too. I'm glad in all their delaying of TP they had time to work on PH for DS, it just legitamizes my claims of Nintendo's inability to support both their handhelds and consoles adaquately, their off balance even leading up to Rev launch. I mean what was the point of a keynote if it wasn't developer focused, it wasn't new info, but rather the same old broken record we've been hearing from Nintendo since last E3. I guess we got a couple more months of them regurgitating the same crap, but they better deliver big at E3.

The only good thing that came of this is support for old school TG16 and Sega games, that's huge cause that's the largest back log of quality old school software. It's sweet that Nintendo is offering older games but if all we get is older games it's bullshit, I expect more. For me the only appeal of older games is adding content, achievements, scoreboards, leagues, or multiplayer. Sure there are some classics I'd buy again but really I already have all these games, it just doesn't seem worth it. Not to mention we don't know pricing structures for games, or if it's a subscription model, or if Nintendo is gonna dick us around by making only certain games available. Not to mention releasing a glut of games means everyone is scrambling for a piece of the same pie, competition and too many choice can overwhlem customers and alienate 3rd parties. Also 512 doesn't cut it If once the game is purchased if we need to back it up, I want to be able to download an unlimitied amount of times. Not to mention companies are sure to price their indie content competitively meaning if there are downloadable games available on multiple consoles they'll probably cost the same to remain competitive. Still if XBLA games are sold at a reasonable premium for added features they'll still be the better buy than their VC alternatives.

xaosslug

i thought Zelda Wind Waker was widely regarded as a travesty to/blight on the Zelda franchise? has the sarcasm in this thread gone over my head, or is this what settling is like? :lol

snatches

xaosslug said:
i thought Zelda Wind Waker was widely regarded as a travesty to/blight on the Zelda franchise? has the sarcasm in this thread gone over my head, or is this what settling is like? :lol

Zelda WW was not only an absolutely excellent entry for the franchise, but it was technically and artistically one of the most impressive achievements in gaming of the last five years.

Peru

Zelda was not considered a travesty by any sane person, but it had some dull downtime and a few flaws. Otherwise it was great, and it was the most beautiful Zelda ever made.

Top Bottom