• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GBA was basically SNES2 and the pinnacle of 2D game design - change my mind

jts

...hate me...
Shit wasnt even backlit. Easily my least favorite portable of all time.
Many people had the SP, and that one was. As well as the GB micro (which is a GBA - terrible branding there).

But I looooove the original GBA look and form factor. Just hate that the GBA was designed with only 2 face buttons. That ruined it.

Drell

Are you sure? It kinda looks like it’s popping between sprites to me.

Well in that case they created a shit ton of sprites just for this part. The video I linked doesn't do the game justice, it isn't 60 fps. Playing the game on an emulator and going frame by frame, you can see that there's a size for every distance possible for both sprite and on each angle. Wouldn't it take too much ROM size on an SNES cart?

One of the system's very first games, F-Zero didn't use an enhancement chip either. :messenger_winking:

F-Zero doesn't scale any sprite. each vehicles have a set of different size and the game will use them according to the distance from the camera.
Here's the spritesheet for the Blue Falcon for example: https://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/fzero/sheet/13325/ you can clearly see that there 7 different sets of sprites and that the smaller the sprites are, the less animation frames there will be or in that case, it's more an orientation depending of the position compared to the camera.

Lower resolution and way worse audio hardware than SNES had.

I see this kind of comment a lot.

The SNES may have a better resolution, but you also have to take into account that it's a 8:7 aspect ratio, meaning that EVERY SINGLE GAME on the SNES displayed on a TV will suffer from being stretched. The GBA may have an inferior resolution but at least the pixels were perfectly square and thus, there was no stretching of the image since it was directly displayed on it's own screen.

On the audio hardware topic, while it's true that the SNES sounds better in quality (I mean, even the DS sounds worse in pure audio output quality), you should not forget it was also heavily limited by the SPC700's tiny 64KB for the whole audio ram. Everything had to fit inside of this so the audio engine, the effects such as reverb or echo and the samples had to share this tiny space. That means that the samples had to be heavily downgraded from their sources. The GBA did not have these limit since everything was done on the CPU and everything was stored on the main RAM. I'm not sure you can have this one a stock SNES:

(And no MSU1 doesn't count)

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Many people had the SP, and that one was. As well as the GB micro (which is a GBA - terrible branding there).

But I looooove the original GBA look and form factor. Just hate that the GBA was designed with only 2 face buttons. That ruined it.

The original GBA in sunlight looked waaaay better and richer than the SP's weird side-lights anyhow. And I'd even say it looked better than the "brighter" model with the true backlight. Something very cool about the reflective screen's feel, despite the annoyance if you aren't in a bright spot when playing.

Reactions: jts

MMaRsu

Banned
Shit wasnt even backlit. Easily my least favorite portable of all time.

Thats easily fixed these days

20200219-232647.jpg

Drell

Is there any SNES to GBA port that doesn't feel like a huge downgrade?

Isn't Link to the Past the only game where they didn't fuck up the OST by changing the whole soundfont? I only remember the voice samples of young link from oot replacing the sword slash sound being annoying but I guess like every GBA ports, they also changed the color palette

Just to hammer the point, the GBA had strange limitations on how it used colors (probably for ROM size issues) here is MK3 on the Genesis (64 colors) vs the GBA version, scaled to the same size.

The bilinear filtering is a choice, neither version is meant to be seen this close or this big.

Mighty GBA Mortal Kombat advance:

2meXlux.png

Genesis Mortal Kombat 3

CW4FS3K.png

Obviously this is not always the case, the GBA can do a lot of things that 16-bit consoles weren't able to do, not even close... but the higher resolution they offered allowed for more information to be displayed on the screen).

stranno

I've been playing Day of Thunder on 3DS and it looks quite amazing.

It uses like a weird mixture of voxel terrain (without heights) + polygonal buildings/enemies + on-rails progression.

Levels are painfully long and it is ridiculously easy tho.

Last edited:
Sprite scaling was possible on SNES without any extra chip but it was very limited:

Chrono Trigger does it the Bike Chase Sequence. Chrono's and Johnny's sprites are scale smootly depending of their distance to the camera on top of the mode 7 layer.

I'm sure there's some other examples.

Man, I loved Chrono Trigger on the DS.

EDMIX

chrono trigger looked amazing on the DS aye

Facts, but I think it would look good too on GBA tbh.

GB is basically portable NES
GBA is basically portable SNES
DS is basically portable N64
PSP is basically portable PS2
PSVita is basically portable mini PS3
3DS is basically portable Wii

Switch comes out...... runs Wii U games and other ports.

"BUT HOW COULD THEY MAKE A PORTABLE WITH THE QUALITY OF A CONSOLE FROM DA PAST, THIS HERE IS REVOLUTIONARY BRO" /s

40f.png

I think the most basic thing for anyone to assume is that a portable will run games that released on systems past gen and a few stand outs this gen.

The gba came out at a weird time for me I grew up with a new/snes and had a gameboy but I was around 23 when that came out so I thought it was simply a kiddy console

looking at it now it had quite a few kickass games and it wasn’t marketed as another game boy I would of probably bitten as I bought a ds years later

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The gba came out at a weird time for me I grew up with a new/snes and had a gameboy but I was around 23 when that came out so I thought it was simply a kiddy console

looking at it now it had quite a few kickass games and it wasn’t marketed as another game boy I would of probably bitten as I bought a ds years later
you missed out aye

Romulus

I've been playing lots of GBA games on my modded xbox using different combos of filters. Compared to snes, onscreen GBA just looks bad with the lower resolution.

kingbean

I've been playing lots of GBA games on my modded xbox using different combos of filters. Compared to snes, onscreen GBA just looks bad with the lower resolution.

The games are certainly chunkier looking. Games like Astro Boy and Gunstar super heroes look really bad blown up.

Top Bottom