• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

danwarb

That sounds neat, but as I recall the people of Kataan died 1000 years before Picard lived the memories, before their star went nova. I'm curious how they'll address that.

If they can build a probe like that to last 1000 years I'm sure a few could've escaped their star.

What did they mean "they don't do episode sequels?" They did them all the time.

Over the coarse of its run they would have changed their stance on things a lot, he probably pinched it at the wrong time.

The odd thing to me is why he didn't try to make it as a novel, very little cost, he would have his foot in the door,ST has a steady stream of novels.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
No they probably thought his idea was stupid and wanted to let him off gently. That plot sounds idiotic.
Most TV writers are notoriously hit or miss. It's common for someone to write a really great episode and never come close to that level of quality again. Usually it's a matter of finding a good concept on the right show (with the right cast) that the full-time writing team can develop into something presentable. Success is never contingent on just a single writer and his/her idea. In fact, their scripts usually undergo heavy rewriting before being filmed.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I'm watching "To Kill A Mockingbrid" and I feel silly that I never recognized Brock Peters in DS9. I'd recognize all the Star Trek roles he played but I guess I never saw the name pop up in the credits.

JdFoX187

Banned
I love TOS to death because of the dynamic between the three main characters. But damn the more I read about and remember some of the highlight shows of TNG, the more I want to go back and rewatch the whole series. Inner Light was such an awesome episode.

maharg

idspispopd
Maybe they did some science for once and discovered relativistic time dilation.

Haha time dilation in Star Trek, that's a good one.

Though I think there's a fairly good reason it doesn't tend to come up: Warp (in the ST universe) is an easier technical achievement than accelerating to relativistic speeds. So, if the people in Inner Light hadn't yet discovered warp they probably couldn't get a ship going fast enough to have time dilation affect their frame of reference enough to make it anywhere in one lifetime (or, at least, couldn't stop it if they did).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well from a tech point of view "The Inner Light" had some loopholes. This society can supposedly not leave their solar system, yet can create a mind probe with technology to pass through shields of a far more advanced civilization.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
stv92-strip.jpg

In 1998 Star Trek: The Experience opened at the Las Vegas Hilton, but did you know it was actually the "Plan B" after a much more ambitious vision was considered in 1992. This "The Starship Enterprise" attraction would have built a full-scale Enterprise ship in Downtown Las Vegas. Now the company behind the pitch has revealed details and artists sketches of this Trek attraction that never was. Details below.

Full Article and more pictures.
http://trekmovie.com/2012/04/07/fin...t-saw-a-full-scale-uss-enterprise-attraction/

Cheerilee

Well from a tech point of view "The Inner Light" had some loopholes. This society can supposedly not leave their solar system, yet can create a mind probe with technology to pass through shields of a far more advanced civilization.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Psionic_resonator

Shields are useless compared to this sort of mind-based ancient technological weapon.

Stands to reason that another society could develop a similar mind-based technology that wasn't used as a weapon.

I just found some animated Star Trek episodes from the 70's on cable VoD. It's pretty good.

In its time, it was considered pretty groundbreaking compared to other cartoons, which were usually much more kiddified and often less coherent in storytelling. It has its downers (when the computer gets a sense of humour, a big low pointin Trek), but there were a wad of stories written by good SF authors in there, and they could draw things that they wouldn't've been able to feature in a live action show (like the new helmsman, a much more alien alien!).

Shouta

SF Debris will have his review of "The Visitor" up tomorrow. I can't wait; I've been wanting him to review it for some time now.

I recall him doing it before, he just finally put it up again after having to take it down form youtube.

An-Det

I'm finally done, just catching up on the last Memory Alpha episode pages. 28 seasons, 704 episodes, more than 500 hours total, all watched consecutively (aside from that week I took off to watch all 4 seasons of Breaking Bad, after finishing DS9 before starting ENT). It's a strange feeling to finally be done with it all after 9-ish months. I was burnt out by the time I started season 26 (TOS S1), so Kirk's adventures took much longer to finish, but it was worth it overall.

An-Det

TNG
VOY
DS9
(Breaking Bad)
ENT
TOS

TNG and VOY were easy, since I knew I liked both. I did DS9 next to keep with the same timeframe, then ENT since I was familiar with it. TOS was last so I could end where it began. I had already seen all the movies, but I'll be going through them again as well. Seeing the TOS ones now that I'm actually familiar with the characters will be nice.

danwarb

I've been watching season 3 of Star Trek TNG on CBS. This is still fantastic. I'll have to get them all now.

So many great episodes in that season.

I loved the first Department of Temporal Investigations book (Watching the Clock) and gushed about it some last year, so of course I had the new one (Forgotten History) preordered. It's more straightforward than the first, partially because it doesn't try to spend as much time teaching you about the DTI itself of the rules of time travel. Still, quite good. While it's got a "modern" post-TNG era framing story set in 2383, the bulk of it covers the accidental and following not-accidental time travels of Kirk's Enterprise crew in the late 2260s and early 2270s. Small spoiler as an example of how it integrates old material into the larger narrative:
The TOS episode where they travel to the 1960s for historical research treats it pretty matter of factly, which in retrospect is pretty unusual. In this book, since the Enterprise had already been involved in accidental time travel to the 1960s on a previous episode it was determined that for early time travel experimentation it was best to go with a ship, crew, and destination that there was already some experience with, and wouldn't involve bringing more people in the circle of secrecy.

isny

napkin dispenser
No idea what season one of TNG on Blu Ray is going to cost when it's eventually released, but Amazon.co.uk has it for $60 shipped. (Region free)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007Q1GK0A/

They charge when they ship, just like Amazon.com, so preorder now and if it ends up being cheaper somewhere else just cancel =)

dalin80

Banned
Been re-watching TNG lately or at least had it on in the background while hitting my head on a brickwall of a project and came to a odd thought.

One character survived all of TNG with 0 starfleet training
survived two different starship crashes
made riker his bitch
had half the command staff cowering in fear

Spot_Force_of_nature.jpg

Volimar

Been re-watching TNG lately or at least had it on in the background while hitting my head on a brickwall of a project and came to a odd thought.

One character survived all of TNG with 0 starfleet training
survived two different starship crashes
made riker his bitch
had half the command staff cowering in fear

Spot_Force_of_nature.jpg

Didn't Spot start off as a more exotic cat?

Edit - or I was thinking of this (from Memory Alpha):

Spot first appeared in "Data's Day" as a male, long-haired Somali cat, played by Monster. In subsequent appearances, Spot was seen as a more common American short-hair orange tabby, but still as a male. It was only in the seventh season episode "Force of Nature" that Spot was first referred to as she. In "Genesis", she even gave birth. The Star Trek Encyclopedia jokingly suggests that Spot may be a shapeshifter or the victim of a transporter malfunction.

tuffy

Spot first appeared in "Data's Day" as a male, long-haired Somali cat, played by Monster. In subsequent appearances, Spot was seen as a more common American short-hair orange tabby, but still as a male. It was only in the seventh season episode "Force of Nature" that Spot was first referred to as she. In "Genesis", she even gave birth. The Star Trek Encyclopedia jokingly suggests that Spot may be a shapeshifter or the victim of a transporter malfunction.

"Personal log, Lieutenant Commander Data. Have reprogrammed feline subroutines to apply 87.6% less force when handling cats. Will have replacement Spot sent up from the domestic livestock department first thing in the morning."

Slayven

I loved the first Department of Temporal Investigations book (Watching the Clock) and gushed about it some last year, so of course I had the new one (Forgotten History) preordered. It's more straightforward than the first, partially because it doesn't try to spend as much time teaching you about the DTI itself of the rules of time travel. Still, quite good. While it's got a "modern" post-TNG era framing story set in 2383, the bulk of it covers the accidental and following not-accidental time travels of Kirk's Enterprise crew in the late 2260s and early 2270s. Small spoiler as an example of how it integrates old material into the larger narrative:
The TOS episode where they travel to the 1960s for historical research treats it pretty matter of factly, which in retrospect is pretty unusual. In this book, since the Enterprise had already been involved in accidental time travel to the 1960s on a previous episode it was determined that for early time travel experimentation it was best to go with a ship, crew, and destination that there was already some experience with, and wouldn't involve bringing more people in the circle of secrecy.
Haha I thought I was the only one that read that book. I loved it, especially when Janeway made dude nut up and start drinking.

An-Det

After finishing the series' last Sunday, I finished the movies tonight. I marathoned them a few years back so I was familiar with them, but coming off of the full watch really made me appreciate the characters more than before. Particularly the TOS films, they were much better this time around, being familiar with the people. The expanded roles of the TOS background characters was great. This was also the first time I've actually been able to finish Nemesis in years, so much potential in it wasted.

Yeah that's how I'd recommend it to someone. Particularly TNG>DS9>VOY as there is reference to changing political landscape in the universe.

In retrospect that is how I should have done it, but aside from a few Dominion mentions later on, Voyager was mostly it's own beast. Plus it didn't do shit with the Maquis characters, so not knowing what they were wasn't much of a problem.

Top Bottom