• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Yay, most of the TNG main cast is going to be at Megacon 2013 in Orlando. Only ones missing will be Wheaton and Mcfadden, though they are trying to get them booked apparently. Q will be there as well.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yay, most of the TNG main cast is going to be at Megacon 2013 in Orlando. Only ones missing will be Wheaton and Mcfadden, though they are trying to get them booked apparently. Q will be there as well.

de Lanice did a brony convention this weekend due to his work on the show. It was very obvious that he's never seen the show, even the episodes he did voice for, and is just really fascinated by the fandom behind it for some reason.

Guy is an expert at working a crowd.

Well, if they really want them, they should go the extra mile and abduct Doug Wert to truly complete the family.

Cheerilee

de Lanice did a brony convention this weekend due to his work on the show. It was very obvious that he's never seen the show, even the episodes he did voice for, and is just really fascinated by the fandom behind it for some reason.

Guy is an expert at working a crowd.

If anyone wants to soak up 45 minutes of John de Lancie, here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBfz2-CKYTI

You really don't need to be a brony to watch it. Just be aware that he did an episode of My Little Pony (and can't even remember doing it), and he thinks bronies are interesting, and he's currently doing a documentary about trying to explain them (in part because Trek actors asked him "what the heck's up with bronies?", and because he hates Fox News). He spends more time talking about theater than he does MLP.

You'll probably want to close the window when you get to the final question though. The crowd sings the theme song for him, and there's nothing else beyond that (chronologically, I mean).

Cypher

http://www.cinemark.com/movie-detail.aspx?node_id=70164

star-trek-tng-screening-poster.jpg

Total Run Time: 150 mins.

Still deciding if I want to do this on July 23rd. Two episodes: "Where No One Has Gone Before" and "Datalore".

The stuff that intrigues me is the 30 min. behind-the-scenes stuff, interviews, and material on the restoration process of Season 1 moving to HD.

Worth paying $12.50 a ticket?

An-Det

I would totally try to do it if they had done better episodes.

Same. They did a teaser for the showing when I went to the theater a week or two ago, and we said we'd go if they did something like the Best of Both Worlds or All Good Things, basically any combo that works well in such form. Those two episodes make sense (they're from the set that is already remastered, and they have relevance to the characters), but still not enough to justify the trip.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If you're going to put TNG episodes on the big screen, why those?

Just do The Best of Both Worlds and be done with it.

Walshicus

Saw a bit of The Captains yesterday. Thought it was pretty funny when Shatner was walking along the (English) country road, "bumps into" Patrick Stewart and says what a surprise it is to see him there... while Patrick just replies "William, you invited me here."

teiresias

Saw a bit of The Captains yesterday. Thought it was pretty funny when Shatner was walking along the (English) country road, "bumps into" Patrick Stewart and says what a surprise it is to see him there... while Patrick just replies "William, you invited me here."

If you haven't gotten to the Avery Brooks bits yet, then you haven't actually seen the best
(weirdest)
parts of The Captains.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yeah the Avery Brooks parts are equal parts awesome, insane, and uncomfortable.

Shatner and Stewart have some good chemistry though, it's a shame they didn't get more time to act on it in Generations.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Awesome. :p

You know, of all the actors who played Captains... Brooks is the one that fell off the map pretty quickly. Heck, I even still see Mulgrew once in a while.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Awesome. :p

You know, of all the actors who played Captains... Brooks is the one that fell off the map pretty quickly. Heck, I even still see Mulgrew once in a while.

Brooks wanted to go back to Theater and other stuff, and he's reportedly not huge fan of the fandom and doesn't do a ton of conventions.

TheFatOne

Ok so I finished The Original Series, TNG, DS9, and Voyager. I have not seen any of the movies, and I wanted to know what order I should watch them in. Also should I even bother with Enterprise? Since I'm almost done with Trek. Can anyone else recommend me some good sci fi series?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Brooks wanted to go back to Theater and other stuff, and he's reportedly not huge fan of the fandom and doesn't do a ton of conventions.
So he gave up on Hollywood and not the other way around?

Ok so I finished The Original Series, TNG, DS9, and Voyager. I have not seen any of the movies, and I wanted to know what order I should watch them in. Also should I even bother with Enterprise? Since I'm almost done with Trek. Can anyone else recommend me some good sci fi series?
Just watch the movies in release order. If you want to skip movies, you could probably skip 1, 5, 9, and 10.

If you haven't seen it already, you should watch Galaxy Quest, since it's basically an unofficial Star Trek movie.

As for what show you should check out... I would say Stargate SG-1 comes closest to the Star Trek formula/feel, even if the first season is pretty rough. I've heard good things about Farscape, but I haven ever seen it.

People might suggest the new Battlestar Galactica, but given how it all played out, I'm really not sure if it's worth watching anymore. For me anyway, it showed me that Ron Moore works best with someone like Braga, Berman or Behr to rein him in. If anything, Moore and Braga should just stick to running shows together to balance out each other's worse tendencies.

As for Enterprise... it's basically just more Voyager. There's a stupid metaplot that goes nowhere (which is classic Braga and Berman - think Year of Hell but spread out across three seasons and having even less consequences) and the prequel concept quickly doesn't matter beyond fanservice episodes. People seem to like the Manny Coto season (season 4), but I remember being turned off by the constant references to the lore. It went from fanservice to fan-fiction at times.

maharg

idspispopd
People might suggest the new Battlestar Galactica, but given how it all played out, I'm really not sure if it's worth watching anymore. For me anyway, it showed me that Ron Moore works best with someone like Braga, Berman or Behr to rein him in. If anything, Moore and Braga should just stick to running shows together to balance out each other's worse tendencies.

Kinda think DS9's ending is a little preview of what was in store for BSG. Not sure he was reined in enough. But I'm the heretic who doesn't think DS9 was all that fantastic.

Manny Coto's season of Enterprise might have been pretty fanish, but it was still really nice to get someone who gave a shit back in the big chair. If nothing else Trek is better when someone who cares about Trek is running it. Roddenberry had faults, but his passion and earnestness for futurism shone through. Coto's love of that vision shone through as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kinda think DS9's ending is a little preview of what was in store for BSG. Not sure he was reined in enough. But I'm the heretic who doesn't think DS9 was all that fantastic.
In the Companion, Moore and Behr talk about Berman over-riding some of their bigger ideas for the show (the most famous one would be Behr's idea to end the show with Benny Russell).

Although funny enough, I'm not sure I quite like DS9 as much as I used to. At the very least, I do feel like rewatching TNG at some point. I don't really have the same desire with DS9 (or any other Trek series).

I will say, where DS9 ended up - despite the silliness of the last season with Dukat and Sisko - is still better than where BSG ended up!

TheFatOne

So he gave up on Hollywood and not the other way around?

Just watch the movies in release order. If you want to skip movies, you could probably skip 1, 5, 9, and 10.

If you haven't seen it already, you should watch Galaxy Quest, since it's basically an unofficial Star Trek movie.

As for what show you should check out... I would say Stargate SG-1 comes closest to the Star Trek formula/feel, even if the first season is pretty rough. I've heard good things about Farscape, but I haven ever seen it.

As for Enterprise... it's basically just more Voyager. There's a stupid metaplot that goes nowhere (which is classic Braga and Berman - think Year of Hell but spread out across three seasons and having even less consequences) and the prequel concept quickly doesn't matter beyond fanservice episodes. People seem to like the Manny Coto season (season 4), but I remember being turned off by the constant references to the lore. It went from fanservice to fan-fiction at times.

I'm on season 4 of Battlestar Galactica. I have liked what I have seen so far, and I already read about the ending/season 4 so I won't be disappointed now that I know what to expect. I didn't think Voyager was too bad so I may check out Enterprise. I think Stargate will be the next series I watch.

In the Companion, Moore and Behr talk about Berman over-riding some of their bigger ideas for the show (the most famous one would be Behr's idea to end the show with Benny Russell).

Although funny enough, I'm not sure I quite like DS9 as much as I used to. At the very least, I do feel like rewatching TNG at some point. I don't really have the same desire with DS9 (or any other Trek series).

I will say, where DS9 ended up - despite the silliness of the last season with Dukat and Sisko - is still better than where BSG ended up!

I just ignore this, and pretend it didn't happen. Such a shame what they did to Dukat.

Edit:This is off topic, but whoever came up with frack as a substitute for fuck in Battlestar Galactica should have been fired.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm on season 4 of Battlestar Galactica. I have liked what I have seen so far, and I already read about the ending/season 4 so I won't be disappointed now that I know what to expect. I didn't think Voyager was too bad so I may check out Enterprise. I think Stargate will be the next series I watch.
If you enjoyed Voyager, you'll probably have no problem with Enterprise for the most part.

If you like TNG, I think you're in for a treat with the first 6 seasons of Stargate. 7 and 8 are okay too, but the prime of Stargate was some of the most fun I've ever had watching science fiction television. It was a perfect mix between episodic and serialized and felt like the perfect antidote to ST at the time (which swung one way or the other).

Edit:This is off topic, but whoever came up with frack as a substitute for fuck in Battlestar Galactica should have been fired.
Heh, that was from he original series. They could have changed it, but then they wouldn't be allowed to "swear" at all.

Watch them in the order they came out. I don't think it makes sense to skip any, even 5 and Nemesis have their moments, and Insurrection is basically just a two-part TNG episode.

Enteprise is worth watching if you have seen Voyager already. The first two seasons are kind of boring, there aren't many really weak episodes, but then there's nothing really impressive either. Season 3 has the quite interesting season long plot, that is as good as the long DS9 plots. Could be better, but Trek has never been about the long plot lines.... Season 4 is the fan service season, and in my opinion it's the closest thing to classic TOS/TNG spisodes we ever got. Well worth seeing.

After these I'd recommend watching:

Babylon 5 (5 season long story arc, scifi&fantasy themes, very well done space battles during the first 3 seasons, great music, interesting characters)
Farscape (very intereseting scifi universe, great characters, interesting plots for the most part. Also funny)
Battlestar Galactica (starts great even though get's a bit Lost later.)
Stargate SG-1 is good fun, but it goes on a bit too long, and Atlantis and Universe spin off series are too similar the the original.

maharg

idspispopd
Please note with B5: You have to tough out a pretty rough first season before you get to the good stuff (it's the middle three that are really good, not the first three) but it's entirely worth it. TBH I'd kind of recommend starting with S2's opening episode and then backfilling S1 as you feel able. S1 sets up a lot of stuff but it kills a lot of people trying to get into the show.

It is easily the tightest multi-season arc television has ever had, imo.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh god, I totally forgot B5.

Now there's a show that's a puzzle. Do you start with the TNT prequel movie, which spoils everything but provides context for the first couple of seasons, or do you start with The Gathering, which sets the pieces but has nearly an entirely different cast, or what? lol

But there's a show with probably the greatest payoff for a serialized SF TV series that I've seen. It's not just lip-service like it is in BSG or Lost.

maharg

idspispopd
Starting with In The Beginning would be a terrible terrible mistake.

Also, watch it like Londo and G'Kar are the main characters. It doesn't look like it on the surface, but that's where the richest storytelling is.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Starting with In The Beginning would be a terrible terrible mistake.
Hah, yeah. Although iirc, its original intent was to serve as a gentle introduction to the original series.

Also, watch it like Londo and G'Kar are the main characters. It doesn't look like it on the surface, but that's where the richest storytelling is.
Oh god yes, where they begin and where they end up are amazing.

maharg

idspispopd
Hah, yeah. Although iirc, its original intent was to serve as a gentle introduction to the original series.

Fortunately, we as viewers have the option of ignoring the author when they say something stupid. ;)

Seriously, though. I was showing someone B5 recently and made the mistake of showing them In The Beginning before season 5 and it spoiled something *even then*. Not worth it. Should be the last thing you watch. And then never watch any of the other movies or spinoffs because they're all terrible.

Oh god yes, where they begin and where they end up are amazing.

I think it's the best character arc in SF television, no exaggeration.

Oh god, I totally forgot B5.

Now there's a show that's a puzzle. Do you start with the TNT prequel movie, which spoils everything but provides context for the first couple of seasons, or do you start with The Gathering, which sets the pieces but has nearly an entirely different cast, or what? lol

But there's a show with probably the greatest payoff for a serialized SF TV series that I've seen. It's not just lip-service like it is in BSG or Lost.

In my opinion In The Beginning should not be watched first. It spoils several plot lines, and may be best watched after season 3 or 4. It's not that good either, so you're not missing much in any case. The Gathering, which was the real pilot movie, is not that good either, but at least it introduces the station better.

And I do prefer the first 3 seasons when it comes to space battles. They looked more realistic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fortunately, we as viewers have the option of ignoring the author when they say something stupid. ;)

Seriously, though. I was showing someone B5 recently and made the mistake of showing them In The Beginning before season 5 and it spoiled something *even then*. Not worth it. Should be the last thing you watch. And then never watch any of the other movies or spinoffs because they're all terrible.
Hah, yeah, I imagine. Although I do remember it having some very beautiful moments at least.

I don't really remember the other movies, but I thought the Crusade movie and what we got of the series was okay. Even the Rangers movie is worth watching if only because G'Kar is in it. I don't remember much about the direct-to-DVD movie other than it happened though.

I think it's the best character arc in SF television, no exaggeration.
There's no contest. It's probably one of the best arcs in television period.

In my opinion In The Beginning should not be watched first. It spoils several plot lines, and may be best watched after season 3 or 4. It's not that good either, so you're not missing much in any case. The Gathering, which was the real pilot movie, is not that good either, but at least it introduces the station better.

And I do prefer the first 3 seasons when it comes to space battles. They looked more realistic.

Well, the one thing that The Gathering gives you, beyond introducing all the characters, is the infamous
"There is a hole in your mind"
line that basically forms the basis for the first two seasons.

Heh, Crusade wasn't all that bad :) It didn't really have time to go anywhere before getting cancelled, but it had some potential.

The Lost Tales had some intereseting bits, but I should really watch it again. I don't remember it that well any longer... A Call to Arms is also pretty good.

Never watch The Legend of the Rangers.

I'll reiterate the recommendations for Bablyon 5 and Stargate - SG1 is good fun for the most part, the first season is weak and the show drags on a few seasons too long, but I found the universe, the stories and the characters all fairly entertaining and compelling throughout. As for B5, I actually watched this for the first time a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it for the most part - it hasn't aged too well and a lot of the dialogue is super cheesy, but the story, especially across seasons 2-4, is expertly told.

Regarding Enterprise, if you enjoyed Voyager I see no reason why you couldn't enjoy Enterprise - the pilot is actually pretty great by ST pilot standards, but the first season, and much of the second season, is generally very week. However, the pay-off comes in season 3 and the first two thirds of season 4, which showed a marked improvement. But, season 4 takes a dip in the last third as they knew the show would be cancelled and rushed towards the arc's end.

Also, you know what show no one ever mentions?

Space: Above and Beyond.

I loved the hell out of this show, and while it only got one season, if I remember correctly it is thankfully largely self-contained. The dark atmosphere, the setting, the budget and some excellent sci-fi story-lines really set it apart, imo.

Can anyone back me up on this, or is nostalgia clouding my judgement?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Reading this thread has gotten me interested in watching the entirety of DS9. I'd prefer to wait for a Blu-ray edition like TNG is getting, but my guess is I'd be waiting a very long time for its release.

As for Stargate: I think I watched the first seven or eight seasons of SG-1. Really enjoyed it, but I lost track of it during the later seasons.

maharg

idspispopd

Probably a bit. I don't think it's held up too well, but it probably is an important milestone in the evolution of SF television and so is worth taking a look at if you're interested in that in general. The pilot is pretty weak in particular.

My nostalgia show is Earth 2. I watched some of it more recently and it is so terribly bad, but man it had me hooked when it first aired. So pissed it ended on a cliffhanger. On the other hand, it has some great Tim Curry villainry.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Also, you know what show no one ever mentions?

Space: Above and Beyond.

I loved the hell out of this show, and while it only got one season, if I remember correctly it is thankfully largely self-contained. The dark atmosphere, the setting, the budget and some excellent sci-fi story-lines really set it apart, imo.

I really liked the show, to the point where I followed the newsgroup and followed the immediate aftermath of the show's cancellation and whatnot. I even bought it on disc when Fox finally pooped that set out a few years ago.

I probably can't judge it objectively either, but it gets cheesy at several points and relies almost too heavily on WW2 for inspiration. Nearly all of its war stories come from either WW2 events or apocrypha (like the "whore of death" episode). If you can get past that (or don't mind that), it's perfectly serviceable for what it is. At the very least, if you're an X-files fan, it might be worth watching because of Morgan and Wong.

It does have one of my favourite scores though. It was by Shirley Walker, of Batman: The Animated Series fame, and I used the theme as my ringtone for years. lol

SAAB reminds me of the original Battlestar Galactica for some reason... (and Wing Commander). The original BSG is pretty good actually, in its own way, and may be worth watching even if you have already seen the new series.

An-Det

Another set of recommendations for SG1 (and SGA if you end up liking the formula) and B5 (just finished it myself, fantastic show). Enterprise isn't bad, and Season 4 is actually pretty good, but it's certainly the weakest show thanks to B&B shitting over the series (and that's saying something given how bad TOS can be).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Another set of recommendations for SG1 (and SGA if you end up liking the formula) and B5 (just finished it myself, fantastic show). Enterprise isn't bad, and Season 4 is actually pretty good, but it's certainly the weakest show thanks to B&B shitting over the series (and that's saying something given how bad TOS can be).

I might start over on SG1, I've run out of current things to watch.

SGA is always watchable, but mostly for McKay and the hotness that is Jewel Staite (eventually)

Cheerilee

Heh, that was from he original series. They could have changed it, but then they wouldn't be allowed to "swear" at all.

The original series had a couple of different words, and you weren't really supposed to know what they just said, you were just supposed to understand that they said something bad.

Moore changed "frack" to "frak" and made it a 1:1 replacement for "fuck" so he could throw the f-bomb around with zero subtlety whatsoever.

They're maybe not really sci-fi (or are they?), but thinking of BSG, I'll toss out that you should probably watch LOST (you'll know by the fourth episode if it's for you) and then Fringe (similar to X-Files from the makers of LOST). Oh and, the original X-Files might be a good idea.

And Firefly, from Joss Whedon. It was great while it lasted (one season). Followed by it's movie, Serenity.

And it's fantasy, not sci-fi, but the current show with the cultural impact of BSG or LOST seems to be Game of Thrones.

Maybe I'm a crazy asshole, but I would have liked that a lot. Maybe not end it on him, but wrap up his little story right before the closing shot. A lot of people would think that it invalidates all of Star Trek, but I don't really see why it would; each fiction is as real as the other. Benny's just as real as Star Trek is, in my opinion.

The original series had a couple of different words, and you weren't really supposed to know what they just said, you were just supposed to understand that they said something bad.

Moore changed "frack" to "frak" and made it a 1:1 replacement for "fuck" so he could throw the f-bomb around with zero subtlety whatsoever.

They're maybe not really sci-fi (or are they?), but thinking of BSG, I'll toss out that you should probably watch LOST (you'll know by the fourth episode if it's for you) and then Fringe (similar to X-Files from the makers of LOST). Oh and, the original X-Files might be a good idea.

And Firefly, from Joss Whedon. It was great while it lasted (one season). Followed by it's movie, Serenity.

And it's fantasy, not sci-fi, but the current show with the cultural impact of BSG or LOST seems to be Game of Thrones.
Fixed

Also I would add Farscape to the list.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Reading this thread has gotten me interested in watching the entirety of DS9. I'd prefer to wait for a Blu-ray edition like TNG is getting, but my guess is I'd be waiting a very long time for its release.

As for Stargate: I think I watched the first seven or eight seasons of SG-1. Really enjoyed it, but I lost track of it during the later seasons.

I did the same with Stargate, pretty much was always there for an episode till season 7-10 where I lost track.
Unlike Star Trek though they never end the story during the series and did it with a follow up movie which was a wee iffy, and then they never finish off the Atlantis or Universe endings too which was highly annoying.

But having just watched the whole of Deep Space Nine in about 4 weeks while I was ill, it was good fun, though I kinda mis watching those characters now, I guess the advantage of watching on TV is the week and years break, weeks of non stop watching kinda leaves you left with nothing, lol.

TheYanger

Throwing my hat in for B5. It's such a good show, and it sucks that it's so hard to get people into, the first season is PAINFULLY bad, yet trying to play catch-up with all of the subtle building it does is too much of a loss as well imo. It's obvious why JMS wrote basically the entire show after that, S1 is just your standard star trek alien of the week type show, with B or even C plots that are moving the meta plot along without you even realizing it until near the end of the season...makes for a very frustrating viewing experience at times (and I don't necessarily blame all of the writers, you can't just plant JMS' vision into your head writing an episode, so they hit the story beats that they need to and then the rest is a mishmash of bad and really bad). I don't see how S1 can be considered for 'good battles' though. it barely has any and the CG is REALLY rough in the first season. S4 has some great ones imo, though obviously S3 is best in that regard.

Also, Crusade isn't THAT bad, you just have to acceptthat it never got off the ground, for only a few establishing episodes it grows on you. The theme song was total trash though (music part was good. The "WHERE ARE YOU GOING" bullshit at the start is so corny and amateurishly awful though).

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
People keep talking about how rough B5 S1 is. I handled S1 of TNG pretty darn well; would that mean I could handle the former alright?

Top Bottom