• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Giant Bomb Quick Look Thread 2

Goldmund

No. They did that already.

cwtbQ4w.jpg

wait there are vita capture kits around? where ya get one.

The only ones I have ever seen have been supplied by Sony to developers and publishers and even then there is a waiting list. There's actually a trailer or two of off-screen Vita footage, which probably made everyone feel stupid.

Though there may be amateur solutions now, I haven't checked in a few months.

Just gonna repost what I said in the Injustice thread about the same problem that comes up whenever a fighting game is released.

Most fighting games cannot be declared balanced or unbalanced within the first month (hell, even longer realistically). It's just people that aren't used to getting around zoning, which happens upon every fighting game release. People still don't know how to get around fireballs after all these years and just mindlessly jump around. Do these same people play Frogger by just heading into the traffic? You've got to have smart movement.

Not to mock anyone's skills at all because I realize learning the fundamentals of a fighting game is hard (especially when they don't have any tutorials to actually teach you that stuff in-game), but I see the "spam" complaint time and time again when a new fighter comes out and people panic.

It sucks that something like League or Dota gets a pass for their barrier to entry because it's understood that you can't just mindlessly do whatever you want, but if you can't just mash buttons in a fighting game and auto-avoid projectile zoning then it's decried as spammy and unbalanced.

Whoa that camera bug!

This I can agree with as I've experienced it myself. Almost lost me a match too when I dropped a combo. Hope they fix it quick.

Jintor

Man, I wish this didn't have this pseudo-serious look. I guess they gotta differentiate from MvC, but it's still so... meh.

Way prefer Marvel's goofiness.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Man, I wish this didn't have this pseudo-serious look. I guess they gotta differentiate from MvC, but it's still so... meh.

It's kind of getting to be the way DC does all their adapted stuff. Their movies, games, etc don't seem to be as lighthearted or "fun" in tone as the Marvel stuff.

Jintor

It fits for Bats, but when I see flash or hal jordan win a match, I don't want to see them scowl like hard-ass motherfuckers, cos they ain't.

Jintor

Yeah... that was a four-season series finale that earned that badassery.

I was just thinking that during the QL... this climactic, amazing, absolutely iconic flash moment got turned into a LVL 1 super you can pull outta your ass at any time. Ah well, that's videogames for you.

I didn't love MK9, but the further I get in this QL the more interested I am in Injustice. Part of it is just the characters, but the fighting system is kind of cool too. I just don't like the movement of the characters (which is exactly like MK9). If its as dial-a-combo-y I'll get bored of it pretty quickly.

Jintor

Even then though Flash doesn't scowl like a hard-ass after he wrecks Luthor. He flips out over how rad he is and then vanishes.

Goddamn man the DCAU is so awesome

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I actually really like the win animations in Injustice, even if I see where you're coming from. I'm also pretty surprised they got away with some of them for a T rating, stuff like Ares' pelting them with swords and Joker lighting people on fire are pretty fucked up.

Jintor

I do still kinda want to play it though.

I just think a fighting game isn't the kind of thing you turn drop-dead serious for... especially one with superheroes. It's just an inherently goofy concept and you might as well embrace its goofiness. But that's Capcom's style, not Neverrealms I guess. So whatevs

I was just thinking that during the QL... this climactic, amazing, absolutely iconic flash moment got turned into a LVL 1 super you can pull outta your ass at any time. Ah well, that's videogames for you.

To be fair, is not like the first time where Flash run across the Earth to do "LVL 1 Super" equivalent of attack.

I do still kinda want to play it though.

I just think a fighting game isn't the kind of thing you turn drop-dead serious for... especially one with superheroes. It's just an inherently goofy concept and you might as well embrace its goofiness. But that's Capcom's style, not Neverrealms I guess. So whatevs

I can't really explain it, but I can assure you that NRS doesn't see itself or its games super seriously. Not that they don't care about making it good, but what I mean is that they have a weird sense of humor in their games that most people don't like, which is fine. Like seriously, if you can't see how Noob Saibot's wishbone Fatality isn't stupidly funny with the guy still screaming as he's being torn apart then I don't know what else to tell you. The best comparison I've had to relate it to others is that NRS makes games in the tone of the old Evil Dead movies. Think of it like that and see if it clicks.

Jintor

Well, I know MK and NR are goofy - like, some of those scene transitions are pretty funny - but they're not the over-the-top comic-book styling goofy I think would fit better.

TentPole

To be fair, is not like the first time where Flash run across the Earth to do "LVL 1 Super" equivalent of attack.

To be even fairer it is also his most powerful attack in the game and more of a LVL 3 or LVL 5 equivalent.

The best comparison I've had to relate it to others is that NRS makes games in the tone of the old Evil Dead movies. Think of it like that and see if it clicks.

A horror B movie themed fighting game following up on the Freddy Kruger thing is kinda my dream NR game. Ash vs. Kruger, Jason vs. Hellraiser. I'd love it, and like you said, it would be a better fit for there sense of dark humor.

I am pretty sure that they want to get out of fighting games though.

Well, I know MK and NR are goofy - like, some of those scene transitions are pretty funny - but they're not the over-the-top comic-book styling goofy I think would fit better.

That's the thing about comic book superheros. They've been around so long that everyone has their own favorite era, sensibilities and tone that they think are the perfect fit for their chosen team or character. It's all up to personal preference though, and NRS went with a tone that fit their previous MK games, which makes sense. But I see your point and hey, at least umvc3 is around to give people that flavor of goofy.

Aaron

Patrick is pretty bad at Dishonored

also playing it with a gamepad seems like a nightmare
Agree with both points. I stopped watching after he just let that guy go without trying to kill him or knock him out. Of course he would come back. Why would you not take care of him?

Salsa

Agree with both points. I stopped watching after he just let that guy go without trying to kill him or knock him out. Of course he would come back. Why would you not take care of him?

the fact that he called the jump + blink something of a high-skill when it's pretty much a must for me left me wondering how much of a pain in the ass would be to pull that off with a gamepad

game is seriously tailor made for kb + mouse. You are constantly doing super fast turns and movements

I know he loves the game so I hope he tries that now that he has a PC

Aaron

Much like Mirror's Edge, I think people who voluntarily play the game with a gamepad are crazy. That said, jump + blink should be pretty easy on gamepad.

Salsa

Much like Mirror's Edge, I think people who voluntarily play the game with a gamepad are crazy. That said, jump + blink should be pretty easy on gamepad.

I guess it depends. Sometimes if I feel like playing fast (played through the main game 3 times) I just take a leap of faith and blink myself into something that catches my eye as I fall. Doing that kinda thing would be super frustrating

I remember Vinny saying he abandoned the game because he wasnt able to pull off the stuff he wanted and felt like a "clumsy assassin". I bet he was using the TV + gamepad setup.

It's reminescent of Max Payne 3 as well. They all complained about the constant use of cover and I never used cover ONCE on the hardest difficulty with a mouse and keyboard because I could bullet-dodge and pull off headshots before I touched the ground easily. I think assuming the gamepad is always the prefered input is still crazy.

Aaron

Vinny is also obsessed with not breaking stealth though. Dishonored is best played with stretches of stealth between bursts of violence. Though not having all your tools on the number keys and instead having to fumble with the selection wheel on a pad probably doesn't help.

When Patrick finally switches to kb/mouse like a real man, he should try out the trials. They're actually good.

Gamepad makes sense in some games. Like Sleepy Dawgs and Dark Souls, but they're not good enough for any FPS. Even Halo is better with a keyboard/mouse.

Salsa

Vinny is also obsessed with not breaking stealth though. Dishonored is best played with stretches of stealth between bursts of violence. Though not having all your tools on the number keys and instead having to fumble with the selection wheel on a pad probably doesn't help.

When Patrick finally switches to kb/mouse like a real man, he should try out the trials. They're actually good.

middle mouse + yanking the mouse in the direction you want for weapon select works so well. Game controls just fantastic on PC.

and yeah I agree. Constantly quickloading when you get caught is doable but you're gonna get bored. Dishonored is about pulling off crazy awesome stunts fast, not really about worrying when you break your stealth.

That's how I played at first, leaving these for a second time around:

iOzeaJglQtSUb.PNG

ijjrxYcUKWZBF.PNG

wich, mind you, was still a ton of fun. Remains my 2012 GOTY.

really enjoying this DLC btw

Aaron

I'm trying to clear out my backlog before jumping into the Dishonored DLC. The game is still a bit fresh in my mind. I want to wait until I'm eager to play through the main game as well.

I'm sure I wouldn't perform nearly as well as a mouse-and-keyboard player in the time trials, but I had a great time with the controller and loved fluidly blinking and jumping all over the place. On the other hand, I watched a friend struggle for hours to grasp the controller controls and even after hours of playing he was still accidentally blinking too far, into walls, etc.

Top Bottom