• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Giant Bomb Quick Look Thread 2

LiK

I think it's because he's so upbeat. it's a very positive dirtiness. The feel good vibe of his filth always catches me by surprise.
Not to mention all the other GB dudes try to pretend they're not pervs on camera. Vinny is proud and we all love it.

LuchaShaq

Banned
FF13-2 looks so awful. As someone who played 20 or so hours of FF13 I'm not sure you could pay me to play this. Hate basically every single aspect except the technical quality of the cutscenes.

Can't understand how people think this battle system is not a steaming pile of shit. Pick the correct roles and smash A. Brad even admits picking specfic techniques/spells is a waste of time. Yeah it's basically RPG meets Dynasty Warriors, make a correct strategy and then mass the button like a monkey.

serah is really the main character in XIII-2?

never gonna play this game now.

Lightning is in all the adverts.... Lighting is on the box.

Lightning was the only character worth a damn in the first game.

:(

Wasnt she just in XIII for the weird creeper crowd.

I mean with having the big main male character in a relationship with the young pre teen looking girl. (but it says she is 18 in the instruction manual so it was ok and not creepy)

Its not exactly a character I would make the focus of a follow up.

DaBuddaDa

serah is really the main character in XIII-2?

never gonna play this game now.

Lightning is in all the adverts.... Lighting is on the box.

Lightning was the only character worth a damn in the first game.

:(

Lets briefly look at a couple other Final Fantasy main characters in comparison:

Lightning - Military trained fighter who
is tasked with eternally defending the world in Valhalla

Terra - A half-Esper, half-human schizophrenic who leads a group of rebels.

Cecil - A disgraced Dark Knight-turned-Paladin orphan born from Moon People.

Serah - A 21 year old girl who acts like she's 15 and misses her sister.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So what's the funniest/most entertaining Quick Look ever? Really bored right now.

Orgun

XIII-2 looks so bad. Sold XIII after 25 hours of tutorial and was hoping this version might pull me back into the FF series - nope. Maybe Versus.

Kusagari

It's not the funniest overall, but that celebrity poker pc game has the funniest moment I've ever seen in a quick look.

least hated.
yeah.... thats probably it.

Her and Sazh where ok IMO.

They had pretty clear and probably cliche characters.

Light being the tough military brat and Sazh just a father who will do anything to get his son back.

everyone else was basically just the worst JRPG characters with poorly written characters and VO.

You know I would totally buy XIII-2 if it was a Sazh game.

if at the end of XIII he
didnt find his son and instead found some clue where to find him .... I would play that game.

Haunted

Quick Look: Final Fantasy XIII-2
36 minutes with Brad and Patrick
wow, and people were so positive about it in the leadup to this game and even the OT.

FF fanbase has a bit of a Sonic cycle going on there this generation. They always think the next one is going to be THE ONE and it turns out to be a pos. Three in a row now. XIII, XIV and XII-2.

Small wonder there's so much clamoring for a FFVII remake. Fans want to get back to the (perceived) glory days of the franchise.

megalowho

I find myself weirdly curious about FF13-2. I kind of want to buy it.

I don't know why.

I kind of feel the same way. I'd really like for a pure JRPG to click with me again, specifically one with that classic Square vibe, and they're always on my radar. But that QL did absolutely nothing for me, and I've slowly come to accept that this generation's crop of JRPG's just aren't where my gaming tastes are at nowadays.

Eternia

Quick Look: Final Fantasy XIII-2
36 minutes with Brad and Patrick
That looked horrific. I didn't pay much attention to any media of the game other than the basic premise and screenshots but wow. Confined areas, awkward area selection interface, random puzzles, awful talking moogles, monster companion system... I didn't realize they could actually manage to make a game that could look worse than FFXIII. Not off to a good start.

So what's the funniest/most entertaining Quick Look ever? Really bored right now.
Another two, Rogue Warrior and Farming Simulator 2011

DaBuddaDa

Soul Calibur is in a tough spot with Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter IV and Marvel vs Capcom dominating the genre.

Soul Calibur games have historically sold more or as well than any of those franchises (besides SF in its heyday, which nothing even comes close to touching) and is one of the highest selling fighting game franchises period. They're absolutely fine, they're just not the enthusiast press's current affinity. As far as quality is concerned, different strokes.

Haunted

Soul Calibur games have historically sold more or as well than any of those franchises (besides SF in its heyday, which nothing even comes close to touching) and is one of the highest selling fighting game franchises period. They're absolutely fine, they're just not the enthusiast press's current affinity. As far as quality is concerned, different strokes.
Oh it does? I totally didn't know that. Interesting. Looks like they're good to go financially, then!

I had "scene" in my post before changing it to "genre", which I guess is closer to what I really meant. Although Soul Calibur was never that big in the competitive scene in the first place... oh well.

DaBuddaDa

Oh it does? I totally didn't know that. Interesting. Looks like they're good to go financially, then!

I had "scene" in my post before changing it to "genre", which I guess is closer to what I really meant. Although Soul Calibur was never that big in the competitive scene in the first place... oh well.

To compare: the new Mortal Kombat is widely considered to be a rousing success and a big seller. Last known numbers according to Wikipedia point to "almost 3 million" sold. Soulcalibur 4, a less popular entry in the series released without much fanfare has sold 2 1/2 million. There is definitely a trend away from 3D fighting games, punctuated by the fact that the competitive scene doesn't play them much, but they still sell surprisingly well and shouldn't be so quickly dismissed or need to undergo a massive transformation to keep up.

I'm of the mind that the 2D fighting resurgence is a small bubble that's going to slowly deflate. Street Fighter X Tekken will be the start of it.

Kusagari

To compare: the new Mortal Kombat is widely considered to be a rousing success and a big seller. Last known numbers according to Wikipedia point to "almost 3 million" sold. Soulcalibur 4, a less popular entry in the series released without much fanfare has sold 2 1/2 million. There is definitely a trend away from 3D fighting games, punctuated by the fact that the competitive scene doesn't play them much, but they still sell surprisingly well and shouldn't be so quickly dismissed or need to undergo a massive transformation to keep up.

To be fair though, I fully expect this game to sell even less than 4. Soulcalibur's on a downward spiral.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Was really hoping SC5 had a robust story/single player, have been hoping the amazing single player campaign in MK9 would inspire others :(

Top Bottom