• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Good Life from SWERY (D4, Deadly Premonition) Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

You really think he just walked straight out of AG without poaching any of the skilled/trustworthy people who created his previous games with him?

I'd hope not, but how do we know? I just think there's good cause to be skeptical instead of going 'omg swery' and throwing money at the screen.

Dinjoralo

I'd hope not, but how do we know? I just think there's good cause to be skeptical instead of going 'omg swery' and throwing money at the screen.
Well, the fig page does answer your questions, though I can understand that isn't available for everyone yet. It's being made in tandem with White Owl, Camoflaj, and Grounding Inc.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
The premise reminds me of an episode of 80s Twilight Zone. A Casanova who turns into a cat during the day seduces a boring pharmacist. She finds out he is cheating and gets him neutered the next day.

Thanks for the backstage access. I am in!

Sad that they didn't include any real rewards and disappointed by the model they are using for release. In this day and age with 3 mature platforms it doesn't make sense to be exclusive on one console vs another.

I am however optimistic and curious to see what he has up his sleeve. I'm thinking not all is what it seems to be when it comes to Swery.

Kashiwaba

Swery + Cats that's like a wet dream for me, but crowd funding is kinda disappointing i lost faith in crowd funded games after Mighty #9 I'm still trying to forget the bad taste it left.

Karish

Swery + Cats that's like a wet dream for me, but crowd funding is kinda disappointing i lost faith in crowd funded games after Mighty #9 I'm still trying to forget the bad taste it left.
You think a publisher would back a Swery + Cats pitch?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Crowd-funding is like any other sort of investment, it's not some singular entity it depends on the people behind it and a case by case basis.

I think the problem with Kickstarter/crowd-funding platforms from the start is people don't realize it's an investment and not a promise, and think of it like a way to pre-order games or something. As anyone in the investment scene can tell you, not all investments will pay out, you need to weigh if it's an investment you want to make. The investment here is to see a product become a reality rather than having a share in it (thouuuughh FIG does have a way to invest into the products profits and take a share of it for a higher price, so this is more like a regular investment).

For me there's no question here as I do love Swery's games and he has a tenacity to see them through to the end. Spy Fiction and Deadly Premonition were both low budget, small team games in development hell for years that did see the light of day eventually and I think turned out rather fantastic. I enjoy them, I like the game idea, I trust SWERY, so I'm investing in that idea to see it come to light.

You also have to realize there aren't many alternatives to people who want to do more than a small project working on no more than what one can afford out of their own pocket but has an idea maybe too ambitious/weird for a studio to fund deeper pockets for. Deadly Premonition and D4 both have cult audiences, but it's not like they set the world on fire for most publishers to notice or care. I would say in SWERY's position the smartest decision is to try to do it independently with crowd-funding and see if that works out, he does have fans who'd be willing to support him and will let him have creative control over the project without having to please a publisher, even assuming one would even pick up this idea in the first place.

Pledged. First time I crowd-funded a game, so I hope it'll end up being a good experience (and that the game itself will be great). I like how this has a Ghost Trick/Layton vibe to it, and people seem to like Swery very much, so why not!

Also thanks for the preview code! :)

eXistor

Heavy Layton vibes from that art and premise. Interested to see what the game's gonna be like. Persoanlly D4 was disappointing to me, I thought it was quirky for the sake of being quirky, but DP is one of my favorite games of all-time. Hopefully he's onto a winner with this one.

Rymuth

Curious why people are just now coming to terms with D4's demise. 🤔
SWERY literally said the game is dead on his twitter account.

In for the early bird. I have no problem giving Swery $25 to help get this game made. It seems very Swery, but a little more lighthearted than D4 or DP which is neat. Hopefully they get the funding amount they're looking for, and more, after it officially launches.

Karish

You also have to realize there aren't many alternatives to people who want to do more than a small project working on no more than what one can afford out of their own pocket but has an idea maybe too ambitious/weird for a studio to fund deeper pockets for. Deadly Premonition and D4 both have cult audiences, but it's not like they set the world on fire for most publishers to notice or care. I would say in SWERY's position the smartest decision is to try to do it independently with crowd-funding and see if that works out, he does have fans who'd be willing to support him and will let him have creative control over the project without having to please a publisher, even assuming one would even pick up this idea in the first place.

QFT

Gbraga

I wonder if Swery could just write a novelization for the conclusion of D4. I just want an ending.

What if it's a TV show you can watch in The Good Life?

theheels

Neo Member
Thanks for the backstage access. I am in!

Sad that they didn't include any real rewards and disappointed by the model they are using for release. In this day and age with 3 mature platforms it doesn't make sense to be exclusive on one console vs another.

I am however optimistic and curious to see what he has up his sleeve. I'm thinking not all is what it seems to be when it comes to Swery.

We do Backstage Pass so we can collect feedback before the campaign goes public, so please feel free to let us know what rewards you'd like to see. Also, Swery mentioned in a tweet that Xbox is not completely ruled out.

theheels

Neo Member
Pledged. First time I crowd-funded a game, so I hope it'll end up being a good experience (and that the game itself will be great). I like how this has a Ghost Trick/Layton vibe to it, and people seem to like Swery very much, so why not!

Also thanks for the preview code! :)

Awesome! Please don't hesitate to give us at Fig some feedback on your first experience. :)

atomsk

Party Pooper
put my money where my mouth is, #395

the only other time I've done crowdfunding is to support localizations (because the core games were already done), but Swery is one of my all time favorite directors, so this project needs to happen

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL

Swery is cool. Cats are cool. I'm in. But I'm gonna withhold my pledge until the proper launch day. Feels more ceremonially official.

I'm a bit pooped by there not being any physical items. Getting an actual thing is cool.
But I suppose this means more of the budget goes straight to development/the goal is lower.

Mr_L

This will be the first Swery game that I'm dead set on obtaining as soon as possible. It looks and sounds so charming!

We do Backstage Pass so we can collect feedback before the campaign goes public, so please feel free to let us know what rewards you'd like to see. Also, Swery mentioned in a tweet that Xbox is not completely ruled out.
I'd tremendously appreciate if you possibly offer a physical retail copy tier in the near future. Deadly Premonition ranks highly among my favorite video games of all time and I'd really like to have another tangible, preserved copy of Swery's work sitting on my shelf for the lifetime of the disc. 505 Games handled the reward tier for Bloodstained back when it launched two years ago which additionally offers the chance of the game heading to actual retail stores based on their past experience with distributing formerly digital exclusive games. PQube, a UK publisher, were willing to do the honors for the faulty Project Rap Rabbit back when it took a failed run at crowdfunding. Fangamer are taking their first stab at a physical release with the newly ported Undertale on PS4/Vita on top of their merchandising expertise. Limited Run Games might be an option as well, but they've mostly stuck with primarily completed Kickstarter campaigns that just needed the extra coin to make it across the finish line. Plenty of options to consider and I hope we'll see something pretty soon as I'd like to fund the project once such a tier can be offered. Preferring to wait and avoid the hassle of sending e-mails to get reward tier switched in case it happens.

Okay, I was unsure I if I could say anything because the page said to keep it secret, but I will voice my concern that some of those tiers are rather steep for being strictly digital. It's more that I'm worried people won't bite for the the higher tiers because they are relatively pricey compared to how a lot of gaming Kickstarters do digital tiers.

After batting 1 for 14 on getting even decent games from kickstarters I thought I wouldn't ever bite again.

But Swery gave me deadly premonition so he can just have some extra cash for that.

This game clearly takes place in a bizarro-England where there are both out of pocket expenses for emergency medical fees and a climate suitable for growing tea on a large scale.

BTA

Yeah. For it to get 50k two weeks before the real launch of the campaign, and it being available only to a "select" amount of people, means that it can do a lot better.

I mean, it's an encouraging number but it's also only 3% and if that's (in theory) with some of the more passionate fans backing... that's a little worrying.

I repeat that I really hope that they lower the price of the digital tiers and add more physical tiers. As they are now I don't think this will succeed, because there's nothing there that justifies paying more for and I hate thinking that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom