• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTA 5 Trailer Talk Thread

cjelly said:
I forgot how ugly last gens GTA games were. Horrendous.

R* dont get enough credit for their technical work. What they were able to pull off with Renderware with GTA 3 then eventually with San Andreas was amazing. GTA 4 and RDR are both the best looking sandbox games around today when you consider the detail in the games.

DarkChild

Banned
I H8 Memes said:
R* dont get enough credit for their technical work. What they were able to pull off with Renderware with GTA 3 then eventually with San Andreas was amazing. GTA 4 and RDR are both the best looking sandbox games around today when you consider the detail in the games.
This men speaks the truth.

cjelly said:
I forgot how ugly last gens GTA games were. Horrendous.

It's all about atmosphere. I have started playing San Andreas again on the 360 and have arrived at Whetstone - night fell and the fog crept in, and it oozed atmosphere. Felt just as good now as it did the first time I saw it.

Dries

All this talking about GTA V got me wanting to play SA again. And that became a whole lot more since this video, check it out:

http://t.co/gL9BxPH3

Awesome ENB dudes are awesome. Has anyone tried this mod?

Xanadu

Banned
Dries said:
All this talking about GTA V got me wanting to play SA again. And that became a whole lot more since this video, check it out:

http://t.co/gL9BxPH3

Awesome ENB dudes are awesome. Has anyone tried this mod?
yea i used to use it a few years back, it was laggy as hell for me then but shouldnt be too bad now lol

Seeing as how Red Dead Redemption GOTY editon has a hardcore mode, I wonder what a GTA V hardcore mode would be like. It's hard to fully say because we don't know if things like regenerating health have been added. I imagine money would be tighter, either things would be more expensive or missions would give less money, maybe both. Maybe laws in general have to be more strictly followed (get seen running a red light get 1 star) and if you're busted it's more costly depending on the crime.

X26

Banned
VistraNorrez said:
Seeing as how Red Dead Redemption GOTY editon has a hardcore mode, I wonder what a GTA V hardcore mode would be like. It's hard to fully say because we don't know if things like regenerating health have been added. I imagine money would be tighter, either things would be more expensive or missions would give less money, maybe both. Maybe laws in general have to be more strictly followed (get seen running a red light get 1 star) and if you're busted it's more costly depending on the crime.

Gas
2 weapon limit
Have to manually shift gears
No HUD

Oni Jazar

WrikaWrek said:
You can really see the generational leap.
Let's wait and see how big the map is in GTA5. San Andreas may not have been the best looking game but it was a huge seamless world with tons of variety.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
VistraNorrez said:
Seeing as how Red Dead Redemption GOTY editon has a hardcore mode
What what what?
Do you have more infos for this? All I see when I search for it is the hardcore multiplayer stuff that was in the normal game.

RDR hardcore mode info

Aiming is permanently set to Expert.
Maximum health is reduced by half.
Health regenerates more slowly and begins refilling after a longer delay.
Dead-eye does not automatically fill over time. It must be earned by killing enemies or using items.
Horses do not regenerate. If killed, you must purchase, steal, mount, or break another horse and then hitch it to a post to earn the right to call it by whistling. Note that horse deeds are still available and unlimited, but twice as expensive.
Store items cost more. Sell values are lowered.
Reward/drops/looting amounts are lowered (ammunition and money).
Pardon letters are more rare.
Fame and Honor gains are reduced.
Mini-game buy-ins are lowered to match the scarcity of money.
Warhorse deed must be purchased for $10,000 (available in any General Store).
Deadly Assassin outfit increases the amount of Deadeye gained from kills, rather than over-time regeneration.
Note that Hardcore is only available in the normal Red Dead Redemption campaign -- Undead Nightmare is unaffected.
Other Tips

As with the original Single Player campaign, health regeneration in cover is higher than out of cover. Use this to your advantage!
Master Treasure Hunter increases the maximum stack size for all items from 5 to 10. You can now carry twice as many dead eye items at once.
Master Survivalist allows you to loot an additional type of dead eye regeneration item from plants, increasing the number of dead eye items you can carry.

T Primex

Neo Member
So am I the only one who enjoyed GTA IV? It's so weird to me the sales were through the roof and yet everyone hated it. A lot of my friends loved it as much as I did. Casual gamers who you'd think would be more interested in over the top things. I understand people like Ballad of Gay Tony better with the bigger guns and faster cars. I'm cool with that but I like the realism route. I really dug the first Saints Row game. But then when GTA IV came out I felt Saints Row didn't hold a light to it.

I think GTA and Saints Row are trying two different things now and it's weird that people are wanting them the same. The story and characters in Saints Row has always been cringe worthy and as GTA sacrifices "fun" for narrative Saints Row does the opposite. Especially after seeing the Saints Row 3 video that had fart gas and dildos in it. That's something that's too much for me. People want a game where you work for a mobster who tells you to take out a yacht with using only a pogo stick and a cross bow. Maybe I guess. But at a point it starts to feel like a twelve year old wrote it. Saints Row games are cool. I own both and I'll probably cop the third but what's the point of two games doing the same shit? You already have that with every FPS already.

Since this is bumped...

I get the impression Rockstar is trolling us with this trailer.
There's hints of many "new" features, i.e.: piercing, tattoos, property management what have you.

I have a feeling that most of not all that stuff will be formally announced in the Game Informer spread with only small tidbits about story. Then Trailer #2 will shed more light on that.

They're tipping their hand a bit which leads me to believe there's some radical change in there. I don't think we knew about parachuting until Trailer #3 in SA, for example (although this was cut from Vice City with some other badass stuff like Tommy escaping from a burning building).

Anyway, gets me geeked for what's to come. I think we're gonna get everything we want and wayyyyy more.

Goldrusher said:
Someone remade the trailer with San Andreas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS-DMvkH664

Splitscreen with the original (GTAV):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftk3f_0WZww

That is amazing.

I love it how there's all sorts of drunk driving and accidents in the background
lol.gif

T Primex said:
So am I the only one who enjoyed GTA IV? It's so weird to me the sales

There's been a a very vocal group of IV lovers in this thread and the previous. The game sold very well and it's been persistent on the Xbox LIVE charts. It's clearly a well liked game.

T Primex said:
So am I the only one who enjoyed GTA IV? It's so weird to me the sales were through the roof and yet everyone hated it. A lot of my friends loved it as much as I did. Casual gamers who you'd think would be more interested in over the top things. I understand people like Ballad of Gay Tony better with the bigger guns and faster cars. I'm cool with that but I like the realism route. I really dug the first Saints Row game. But then when GTA IV came out I felt Saints Row didn't hold a light to it.

I think GTA and Saints Row are trying two different things now and it's weird that people are wanting them the same. The story and characters in Saints Row has always been cringe worthy and as GTA sacrifices "fun" for narrative Saints Row does the opposite. Especially after seeing the Saints Row 3 video that had fart gas and dildos in it. That's something that's too much for me. People want a game where you work for a mobster who tells you to take out a yacht with using only a pogo stick and a cross bow. Maybe I guess. But at a point it starts to feel like a twelve year old wrote it. Saints Row games are cool. I own both and I'll probably cop the third but what's the point of two games doing the same shit? You already have that with every FPS already.
I loved GTA IV, but at the same time it was a bit of a letdown. There was hardly any post game content (outside of the crappy dating stuff), the game took itself way too seriously, and seemed to try to be much too real. The story in GTA IV is not good enough to warrant leaving out actually fun gameplay opportunities. If you really think about the story in IV, specifically the characters, specifically Niko himself, it sort of falls apart.

Anyways, I did enjoy IV but it seems empty when I go back and play it. Also, the controls are much more janky than I remember. Hopefully R* will build on RDR's less janky controls for V.

Also, R* doesn't have that great of art direction, so yeah their games don't age all that well.

Dabanton

T Primex said:

Nope plenty of us on the forum like the game. The people who didn't like it are just more vocal. The game has sold near enough 22 million copies, is still in the weekly top 10 charts for Xbox Live don't think it's been out of the top ten since it's release back in 2008 think how many big games have come out since then that are nowhere to be seen in that chart. I would imagine it's the same on PS3.

This week has again proven just how popular the franchise is, again not many if any other game i know that is big enough to trend on twitter and have articles talking about it's trailer flashed around the world.

The game has always been one of my favourites this gen. The online options more than added more fun than any of the older GTA games the characters were also more interesting i don't get the complaints of it being "too serious" maybe the dry humour was a bit too slight for most gamers?! . If it came down to driving an ice cream truck doing lame collecthons VS racing 15 other players around Liberty City or having street battles both sides fighting to hold own a corner while cars of gangs of other players steam into an area i know what i will take every time.

As for SR i won't say to much as this is not the place but from the second game onwards they've been trying a little too hard to be 'wacky' wacky lasts for a week before you begin to look for depth.. SR2 lost a little too much of the soul and community feel of the first game imo..

salromano

This video just went up on YouTube today, claims to be in-game footage from Mount Chilliad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ-uybsDePE

There's some text over the video. It says:

Not Sure If Real GTA V Video said:
_Grand theft auto five*
Beta: 2.23.0008456PS3

Mount Chilliad teast:00.46.36:21
Indirect lighting processing failure 94.3.72 graphic mode in.
CO.936.54.85646RD54.01
Err. 453.4 inverted polyg.
_23/10/2011

Hard to judge its legitimacy. The navigation looks too... colorful.

Tr4nce

I must say I enjoyed GTA4 very much. But the problem was that I hyped myself up so much, prior to the release of GTA4, that by the time I was playing it, I felt let down in certain things. It's a beautiful game though, but I hated the whole friendship side thing, and the tedious scripted missions. Like the one where it was only possible to shoot that biker, after having chased him for a couple of minutes. So very annoying. I was blown away by the graphics though, and I ultimately think that GTA4 doesn't deserve the hate it receives here sometimes. It's a very ambitious game, it just has some major flaws.

T Primex

Neo Member
CoffeeJanitor said:
I loved GTA IV, but at the same time it was a bit of a letdown. There was hardly any post game content (outside of the crappy dating stuff), the game took itself way too seriously, and seemed to try to be much too real. The story in GTA IV is not good enough to warrant leaving out actually fun gameplay opportunities. If you really think about the story in IV, specifically the characters, specifically Niko himself, it sort of falls apart.

Anyways, I did enjoy IV but it seems empty when I go back and play it. Also, the controls are much more janky than I remember. Hopefully R* will build on RDR's less janky controls for V.

Also, R* doesn't have that great of art direction, so yeah their games don't age all that well.
I thought Niko was a great character. GTA IV was probably the best GTA IV game that I really got into the characters and story. The previous games I loved but more just for the freedom of messing around. I understand the problem where people hate running errands for people who keep promising to help the main character but never do. But in reality Niko ended up in a strange country with no money and ended up doing what he has for the past few years and became a gun for hire. Not too strange. The only asshole he really works for in exchange for a favour was Ray Boccino and eventually Ray delivered. The story really isn't as out there as people think it is in my opinion.

Dabanton

salromano said:
This video just went up on YouTube today, claims to be in-game footage from Mount Chilliad.

You've got to love the Mount Chilliad sign such attention to detail.

Nice touch by whoever made it. LOL

AiTM

Banned
how to handle money has always been a big issue for us. on the one hand, you want to reward progress, on the other hand you don't want to make the little things redundant. we think we've handled this in a much more clever and useful way this time, there was one bit of the trailer that illustrates this that no-one seems to have picked up on.

If this is indeed true, I bet it is pointing to the foreclosed sign on the house. Meaning this time you will have to pay bills in game every so often, and no doing so you can lose your things. Would be annoying but give a use for having money.

Radogol

Kermit The Frog said:
Is it some sort of fundamental law of the universe that all 'leaks' have to be extremely blurry (even if they're direct feed screenshots like this one)?

That's motion blur, the video is clear(ly fake).

Mik2121

mysticwhip said:
The driving in that video seemed a lot like GTA IV so it could be real.
But it isn't. That's not in-game content. It's not even a very good fake at all, either. Oh, and the environment kinda SUCKS.

Dabanton

From that 4chan R* developer chat

in talks with MS now for DLC exclusivity, they seem to have more money than sony when it comes to deals like this. most likely Xbox, sorry PS3 users, you will get full support obviously. we don't handle PC in-house unfortunately, so i'll refrain from talking about that. it most probably wont be a simultaneous release.

Hmmm don't R* Toronto deal with wii and PC ports surely they are 'in house' and surely someone who actually works at R* would know that?

Top Bottom