• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTA 5 Trailer Talk Thread

Beaulieu

Buckethead said:
To their credit, IV had the same godawful motion blur.

But clearly fake; that HUD looks like it was designed by a 2-year old.

looks like a game in devloppement with placeholder hud.
theres as much chances of being real than it being fake.
you guys thinks all of the world looks like what weve seen in the trailer already ??

Aaaanyways : Is it just me or the trailer didnt look entirely in-game ? Some scenes really had a cgi feel no?

AiTM

Banned
AiTM said:
If this is indeed true, I bet it is pointing to the foreclosed sign on the house. Meaning this time you will have to pay bills in game every so often, and no doing so you can lose your things. Would be annoying but give a use for having money.

Here it is again

we've addressed money concerns, and hinted at one of our "solutions" in the trailer.\
I bet you they make you have to pay bills or you can lose your house.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
AiTM said:
A guy asks why they didnt include San Fierro or Las Venturras.

If this guy is legit, I called it.
Without saying anything of the legitimacy of the OP in those chan posts, there is an imposter who is just copying the trip code or whatever into his username, and I think that DLC comment was one of his.

INTERNET said:
Without saying anything of the legitimacy of the OP in those chan posts, there is an imposter who is just copying the trip code or whatever into his username, and I think that DLC comment was one of his.
Yeah, the imposters name has the !!QTSx/YJzjY7 part bold.

painey

looking forward to better money management. always hated in gta games you start out with no money and cant buy anything, then 10 missions in you are rich as fuck and can buy almost anything you need

offshore

Bonus Round talk about GTA V for those interested

The discussion about dialing stuff back was interesting. They didn't dicuss it, but could V be dialed back to fit on one 360 disc? You can't have a GTA game on multiple discs, that wouldn't work. Maybe that's why MS worked to free up extra disc space. There's always installing, but then there's a load of Arcade's out there with no HDD. It's an interesting discussion though, as Sony would like nothing more than to have V be the game to take full advantage of Blu-Ray.

I'm sure this is old and it's probably fake, but here's some info,

Hi all, I am new to this forum and what I am writing here is not to spam/troll, etc. I work for a Playstation magazine in the UK ( I will not be disclosing any further details....) and a select few of our team have seen via video links with Rockstar in Scotland 30 minutes of in-game footage. I have not, personally, been privy to this unfortunately but I will relay to you what I have heard so far and I promise you that none of this is BS but that is down to the lot of you fans to judge. Ok, here goes:

1: The game world is absolutely massive and will push both xbox and PS3 to the very limit in terms of what it has accomplished. Yes, the main city is simply Los Santos however is it AT LEAST 4 times bigger than Liberty City in GTA 4 and that is just Los Santos. The surrounding country side, beaches, etc are massive. For instance, we saw the main character ( an African/American, early 30's) travel by car from the center of Los Santos into the wildnerness and it took over 15 minutes. The views were incredible from farmhouses with cattle, huge wind farms, an oil refinery which appeared to be living and breathing with nearly 100 NPCs working on machinery, operating vehicles, lifting and loaded, etc, unlike the gas works in GTA 4 which seemed to only house a few NPC at a time. The forests are more beautiful than those in RDR and featured people camping, young NPC drinking and dancing around campfires, people riding dirt bikes and jumping over logs, streams, etc. The water effects, forna, plants, trees all looked beautiful.

2: The shooting mechanics have been greatly improved with animations for diving, climbing, rolling and crawling all added for better realism. The re-loading animations for new ammo also look cooler, less static.

3: There is much more climbable elements in the world such as ladders, overhand climbing, etc.

4: There are animals in the game from dogs to cattle but at this time it is not confirmed if you will be able to harm the animals. Rockstar were able to get away with it in RDR as it was a true depiction of the world in which the game was set. Allowing dogs/cattle to die in a game sent in current times may cause headaches with PETA. Its unclear if Rockstar were joking here.

5: There are planes to pilot and they can be crashed into buildings if you choose to do so....

6: Rockstar have included many, many more interior locations such as a shopping mall, college campus, police station, a huge hospital and there is also a vast underground sewer network which one mission later in the game involves a jet ski chase that culminates in a Fugitive-esque waterfall jump ( there are nods to the ridiculous but awesome Ballad Of Gay Tony missions)

7: The city is full of NPCs jogging, weight-lifting, hitting on women, being chased on foot by cops, shopping, washing cars, fixing fences, moving home, filling up their cars, etc.

REAL JUICY INFO:

1: Cars can be upgraded/repaired and it has been considered to have a car have fuel forcing the player to fill her up.

2: The dating aspect of the game is gone. You still have a cell-phone but only people you will meet in the game will call you to ask you to do a mission or to ask you to do something else before the mission.

3: Weapons include the usual arsenal you'd aspect but the flamethrowers, remote mines, laxer trip mines and claymores are included. It is possible now to pick up random objects in a street/buidling to use as a weapon. There is also a museam where it is possible to steal old age swords, axes, etc.

4: it is possible to rupture a fuel line and if you shot at the trail of gasoline it will lead straight back to the car blowing it up.

5: mini games such as bowling, darts, etc have all gone. You can play basketball, weight train, arm wrestle, gamble and cage fight, enter triatholons, water races, cannoing, ab-saling, rock climbing, base jumping, ski diving. More to be confirmed.

6: Character customisation is back but only in terms of clothing, body weight, etc. The player you start off which, much like CJ, can't be altered by race, age, height, etc.

7: Rockstar said burglary missions may return but only as part of missions and not on neigbourhood houses.

8: No children NPC at all. Ever.

9: There is now an ability to grab people and use as sheilds or in "hostage" situations.

10: The cops are much, much, much more realistic. If you kill somebody when you know there are no cops around you will not run the risk of a one star as often as you would in GTA4. The cops will use smoke and tear gas, dogs, riot gear and rams to knock down the doors of buildings you are hiding in.

11: You can enter some buildings and lock doors, push objects in the way to barricade.

12: You become better at things as the game progresses. If you only ride motorbikes then you will increase your skills, same as individual weapons.

13: Certain weapons can be customisable and some even home-made.

14: One mission involves breaking out a very familiar GTA icon from a previous game...

15: Torrential rain fall and sunshine and even tremors will appear in the game.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=490646&st=1200&#

Mechanical Snowman said:
You're putting way too much faith in this 4chan shit.

It's bizarre how this always works, and for each iteration of a new GTA it seems. You have a trailer released, within 24 hours there is suddenly a leak - more often than not to a well traversed but moderately obscure web site forum. The details 'revealed' are always related to the content from the trailer, and always cryptic. Yet each time people line up and think it's legitimate.

bonesmccoy said:
It's bizarre how this always works, and for each iteration of a new GTA it seems. You have a trailer released, within 24 hours there is suddenly a leak - more often than not to a well traversed but moderately obscure web site forum. The details 'revealed' are always related to the content from the trailer, and always cryptic. Yet each time people line up and think it's legitimate.
The 4Chan guy posted BEFORE the trailer came out which is why I'm more inclined to pay attention (though still remaining sceptical, of course). He not only got the location right (and he specified it was Los Santos only), but he said that there would be evidence of animals in the trailer (a dog), a heavy emphasis on the recession, interaction between homeless people and a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot showing a bike.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
InaudibleWhispa said:
The 4Chan guy posted BEFORE the trailer came out which is why I'm more inclined to pay attention (though still remaining sceptical, of course). He not only got the location right (and he specified it was Los Santos only), but he said that there would be evidence of animals in the trailer (a dog), a heavy emphasis on the recession, interaction between homeless people and a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot showing a bike.
He's far from the only person stating that Los Santos would be in the sequel. Why wouldn't you? Liberty City was in 4 as the sequel to 3. They didn't include Staten Island or the other, so it's common logic that 5 is either Vice City or San Andreas and that it would only include a much more detailed singular city. Of course there would be animals, they put them in Red Dead, so it's incredibly likely they use the technology in GTA. It deals with the recession? Well yeah. GTA is kind of all about 'ripped straight from the headlines'. I mean, GTA 3 had a whole radio thing about kids playing violent video games being evil.

zoner said:
He's far from the only person stating that Los Santos would be in the sequel. Why wouldn't you? Liberty City was in 4 as the sequel to 3. They didn't include Staten Island or the other, so it's common logic that 5 is either Vice City or San Andreas and that it would only include a much more detailed singular city. Of course there would be animals, they put them in Red Dead, so it's incredibly likely they use the technology in GTA. It deals with the recession? Well yeah. GTA is kind of all about 'ripped straight from the headlines'. I mean, GTA 3 had a whole radio thing about kids playing violent video games being evil.
Los Santos was far from being the most popular prediction. But there's no doubt that his predictions weren't particularly obscure, it's the fact that he nailed them all without any failures which is pretty good going. How about you try and list 4 or 5 things that'll be in the next trailer and we'll see how well you do.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
InaudibleWhispa said:
Los Santos was far from being the most popular prediction. But there's no doubt that his predictions weren't particularly obscure, it's the fact that he nailed them all without any failures which is pretty good going. How about you try and list 4 or 5 things that'll be in the next trailer and we'll see how well you do.
There's no reason to be so passive aggressive.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
InaudibleWhispa said:
That all just comes off as vague as a person with "psychic" powers, especially the first two. The other two sound random as hell and hardly even worth nothing.

InaudibleWhispa said:
Which thread are we talking about? I thought there were a few errors including the length of the video.

That's another problem, even if there's a legitimate R* employee thread, there are going to be a lot more fake threads where the OP just makes vague general guesses which turn out to me more or less correct. It then makes it pretty hard to filter the bullshit from what is potentially legit.

That's why I don't think there's much point in giving any weight to 'leaked info' on 4chan or other sites when there is very rarely anything completely solid to prove it correct.

Mechanical Snowman said:
Which thread are we talking about? I thought there were a few errors including the length of the video.

That's another problem, even if there's a legitimate R* employee thread, there are going to be a lot more fake threads where the OP just makes vague general guesses which turn out to me more or less correct. It then makes it pretty hard to filter the bullshit from what is potentially legit.

That's why I don't think there's much point in giving any weight to 'leaked info' on 4chan or other sites when there is very rarely anything completely solid to prove it correct.
Nah that was a different guy. I can't find the link to the original thread, but someone screencapped all of his posts and made this.

You're right though, there is no reason to give his predictions weight. He could have easily just been very lucky, I just find it fun to read and speculate.

Dabanton

Every GTA game these 'insiders' suddenly appear where were they weeks ago? Also he gives a good line in blabbing but this just exposes him as someone who is good about the general chat but lacking in the actual knowledge and detail.

screenshot2011-11-06ase7u1.png

Oh really?

screenshot2011-11-06ajnvlp.png

Surprised not one of those guys called him out on that little mistake.

InaudibleWhispa said:

I don't know much about the 4chan guy. What day did he post? What did he say?

edit, found it and read it here.

This is a hard one. He gets a few odd things wrong - PC development and the first frame comment - but on the whole seems in fact to know a few things. And he posted several hours before the trailer launch. Again, still oddly cryptic.

Fjordson

offshore said:
Bonus Round talk about GTA V for those interested

The discussion about dialing stuff back was interesting. They didn't dicuss it, but could V be dialed back to fit on one 360 disc? You can't have a GTA game on multiple discs, that wouldn't work. Maybe that's why MS worked to free up extra disc space. There's always installing, but then there's a load of Arcade's out there with no HDD. It's an interesting discussion though, as Sony would like nothing more than to have V be the game to take full advantage of Blu-Ray.
Eh, makes no sense. Rockstar's one of the smarter companies out there. If they thought that they couldn't fully realize their goal for GTA V on the platforms they're targeting then they wouldn't be doing it.

And lol @ Shane Satterfield.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Dabanton said:
Every GTA game these 'insiders' suddenly appear where were they weeks ago? Also he gives a good line in blabbing but this just exposes him as someone who is good about the general chat but lacking in the actual knowledge and detail.

Oh really?

Doesn't mean that they are making the PC port of this game in-house. It happens, sometimes the studios are too busy to make a PC port so they outsource it. Nothing new.

Dabanton

Ether_Snake said:
Doesn't mean that they are making the PC port of this game in-house. It happens, sometimes the studios are too busy to make a PC port so they outsource it. Nothing new.

Do R* usually do such things though? My understand is that Toronto is specifically meant and has been this gen for PC port work. Knowing how paranoid R* are about something as harmless as people filming videos of their games at trade shows them getting outside outsourced help seems highly unlike them as the chance for a major leak becomes more likely.

Megasoum

Banned
Dabanton said:

Oh really?

Really depends on what's your definition of "in house"... If the guy is working at Rockstar North, his "house" is that studio specifically... For him a studio halfway across the globe is not necessarly considered "in house" even if it's part of the same group.

It's sad that we are even discussing these supposed leaks. I know we don't really have much to discuss at this point, but these are all so transparently bullshit they don't deserve the time of day. If there were a leak that was even remotely legitimate, there would be no need to question the validity because there would no need to be needlessly cryptic.

DarkChild said:
Mexico? Doubtful.

The article contradicts itself and fails to "decode" obvious things about the financial meltdown and impending economic downturn.

Game is in the greater LA area only (and countryside, beaches, etc.) and will focus exclusively on the financial theme.

Juggling the Mexican drug war within that framework would be way, way too complex, time consuming, and more importantly financially exhausting to develop.

Buckethead said:
Game is in the greater LA area only (and countryside, beaches, etc.) and will focus exclusively on the financial theme.
Yeah, he just seems to be disappointed that it appears to be one city and he's looking for evidence for more that isn't really there. I'm not sure why such an emphasis is being placed on the number of cities in the game. Every 3D GTA bar one has had one city, and GTAV can't be compared so directly to San Andreas when its city will undoubtedly be much larger in both size and detail than anything found last generation. I always found the vast scale of the countryside and desert in San Andreas to be more memorable and fun than what either of the other two cities offered anyway.

The quality of the game isn't dictated by the number of cities, and more cities isn't necessarily "the right direction". What IV was begging for was simply a bigger variety of environments and gameplay, and I'm pretty certain that the one thing GTAV won't be lacking is enough city to play around in. Personally I really see the appeal of one large city with several smaller towns dotted around the countryside, each with their own distinct personality and atmosphere.

Fjordson

Yeah, a bit stunned personally at this worry that Rockstar's world will underwhelming in scope. After the jump that was IV's Liberty City and Red Dead's massive world, I'd say it's a safe bet that Rockstar's "largest and most ambitious game yet" will deliver in that aspect.

X26

Banned
Buckethead said:
I'd love to have to pay rent and fill up your gas tank.

(Please add dumping bodies on hits & trunk storage!)

usable trunk would be awesome, let the player mod it into a weapon cache, use it when robbing stores (like the first saint's row), whatever

X26

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Why are people concerned with modding cars and stuff? Cars are like tissues in GTA games.

Gives you something to spend money on and it's fun

I would often grab a random car in los santos, mod it, then drive it to SF or LV

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Dabanton said:
Do R* usually do such things though? My understand is that Toronto is specifically meant and has been this gen for PC port work. Knowing how paranoid R* are about something as harmless as people filming videos of their games at trade shows them getting outside outsourced help seems highly unlike them as the chance for a major leak becomes more likely.

I doubt it's a problem to outsource over such concerns, I'm sure a lot of their testing is outsourced too. The Wikipedia article seems rather outdated. A lot has changed in recent years, games like Mass Effect, Dead Space, Tomb Raider, etc., are made in more than one studio at the same time.

edit: And yeah, what Megasoum said.

edit2: that stupid van footage is fucking fake lol

Megasoum said:
Really depends on what's your definition of "in house"... If the guy is working at Rockstar North, his "house" is that studio specifically... For him a studio halfway across the globe is not necessarly considered "in house" even if it's part of the same group.

Wow, you're certainly going to magnificent lengths to justify this kooks lies. I think it's pretty unambiguous -- "in-house" = Rockstar, "not in-house" = somebody other than Rockstar. The geography of the studio handling the port is irrelevant.

The idea that Rockstar would outsource a port of their flagship franchise sounds so preposterous.

The Lamp

5: There are planes to pilot and they can be crashed into buildings if you choose to do so....

This destroys the credibility. Rockstar is absolutely terrified of being associated with 9/11, that's why they delayed GTA3 and don't have any missions where you crash planes in any of the GTA games.

This game reminds me...where the hell is Agent??

Le-mo

The Lamp said:
This destroys the credibility. Rockstar is absolutely terrified of being associated with 9/11, that's why they delayed GTA3 and don't have any missions where you crash planes in any of the GTA games.

This game reminds me...where the hell is Agent??
Currently undercover.

Megasoum

Banned
Para bailar La Bomba said:
Wow, you're certainly going to magnificent lengths to justify this kooks lies. I think it's pretty unambiguous -- "in-house" = Rockstar, "not in-house" = somebody other than Rockstar. The geography of the studio handling the port is irrelevant.

The idea that Rockstar would outsource a port of their flagship franchise sounds so preposterous.

Lol...I'm not trying to justify anything (and for the record I think the 4chan dude is pure bullshit)... I'm just saying that, by experience, something done halfway around the world is not always considered "in house" even if both studios are part of the same publisher. It's all a matter of perspective. For somebody high up at Take 2 it's certainly "in house" but for a random low level dude working at Rockstar North, Rockstar Toronto is probably not considered a "in house" studio.

Anyway, I work for a game studio part of a big publisher and that's how we see things for games developped and ported by different studios in our group...

Top Bottom