• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

PhiLonius

Damn, it being piloted by Jesus Yamato doesn't help either. I love Athrun's suits, but not Kira's.

Has nothing to do with the pilot. The SF is just excess. It comes across as the designer having a ton of ideas, new and old, and not knowing where to stop when putting the suit together. The Destiny nearly suffers from the same thing but manages to not go overboard.

Gundam the Origin volume X - Solomon
Amazing volume (but then again every volume is amazing). This truly is the definitive version of the One Year War story. So many great iconic scenes were wonderfully captured. Some great changes and elaborations were handled as well.

Of Note
- Regarding Kycelia:
It is fascinating that she herself now has a role in engineering Degwin's demise, manuvering him to the Geldova line to meet with Revil, and then informing Gihren. In the end, Degin was betrayed by both his eldest children.
- Regarding Degwin:
I'm pretty fully convinced that, at least in the Origin version, Degwin didn't have anything to do with Zeon Deikun's death. Volume Five pretty much portrayed him as over-worked and over-stressed. He probably just died of a heart attack. Degwin seems pretty loyal to Deikun, wanting to make sure his ideals live on and remain uncorrupted by Gihren. So I guess in that regard, Char's revenge plot is perhaps unwarrented?
- Regarding Char:
Char is top notch in this volume. His scene with Amuro was just great, especially with Amuro callin him out. They certainly changed his motivations a bit from the show.

Has nothing to do with the pilot. The SF is just excess. It comes across as the designer having a ton of ideas, new and old, and not knowing where to stop when putting the suit together. The Destiny nearly suffers from the same thing but manages to not go overboard.
Ok, this makes sense. I always saw Destiny as like a greatest hits gundam with all of the special moves it inherited.

cntr

Banned
Are there any Gundam shows set around the solar system? Like, everything I've seen is Earth + Moon + space colonies. Aren't there any shows about, say, colonies on Mars or Venus or Titan?

Are there any Gundam shows set around the solar system? Like, everything I've seen is Earth + Moon + space colonies. Aren't there any shows about, say, colonies on Mars or Venus or Titan?

Not a show, but the manga Gundam Crossbones dealt a little bit with what is going on around Jupiter in UC 00133. Tomino, the director of the original Gundam series

The Light novel sequel to Gundam Wing, Frozen Teardrop, takes place on Mars.

Actually, now that I think about it, don't they go to a colony near Venus in Reconguista in G? I mean the place was called Venus Globe... but they never showed the planet itself so I was never entirely sure.

Yup AGE extends to Mars as it's major plot point.
Jupiter is mentioned in multiple stories of the original U.C. storyline. As well as 00 kinda, but it's more a cliff note for these rather than an actual setting for most of them. And... F91/Crossbone if I remember right?

Other than that Gundam is pretty exclusive to Earth, Moon, and surrounding extended colonies.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
SEED takes up way too much room.

w1sSn8wh.jpg

yami4ct

Is the problem with Strike Freedom the fact that it's a busy over complicated design with random pieces of gaudy gold strewn all over it or is it something else?

There's so much wrong with the SF, it's hard to know where to start.

First of all, you hit the nail on the head with the thrown around gold. It's terribly used. You can have gaudy gold mobile suits, but you have to commit to it. Hyaku-Shiki and Akatsuki are great designs because they lean into that over the top crazy coloring. Strike Freedom just throws it in there with no real thought to how it breaks up the color scheme. As it stands, it just gives the suit random splotches of shiny that ruin it color wise.

Then there is the backpack. Again, they just went with the "cool" factor and put funnels on there. That wouldn't have been too bad, but the way they're distributed makes it undeniably worse than the Freedom's backpack. It's just these huge spikes that give a vaguely winged look. It's even worse with the funnels deployed.

Then there's the chest. They added a huge ass gun in the middle for no apparent reason. It destroys the clean lines of the chest and makes it look terrible.

Finally, they tried to make the design way more aggressive and angular. It's way pointier in the head and legs. This again ruins the clean lines of the Freedom designs, ultimately making it significantly worse.

Strike Freedom is a bad design all on its own, but it's made so much worse by the fact it ruined the amazing original. Everything was made over the top and "edgy" and it completely lost what made the original cool.

Shun

Yeah they changed the head and it just looks weird and not as sleek anymore.

I wouldn't mind Strike Freedom's Dragoons to be honest and the beam shield so long as the gem was like a navy blue instead of red.

I don't know which railguns I like more but I think Freedom could be a little sleeker with some of Strike Freedom's armaments.

Strike Freedom's chest beam and the gold throughout the body as well as it's try hard, wannabe sports utility design is why it's bad compared to Freedom.

The Strike Freedom isn't completely bad if you change up some of the colors and mix and match parts with Freedom.

I never understand why Justice isn't as fast as Freedom when it's a melee suit and Freedom is basically guns and lasers everywhere.

So I'm on episode 10 of Gundam AGE and I'm really liking this! Like, the art style is really kid-friendly, but the story seems pretty neat and most of the mech designs are RAD. (G-Exes, you're too pure for this world.)
Hell, I'm even thinking about getting the Mega Size AGE-2 just because it looks so good.

Why is it that this is just the worst show, again?

Another question: I've occasionally daydreamed about a G Gundam sequel, but then I realized something...is G Gundam even popular in Japan? I know it is in the West, but I don't know what Japan regards it as.
From what I remember, it had really terrible ratings because it wasn't "traditional Gundam".

cntr

Banned
Hmm, okay @ Shun & Megalosaro.

Another question: I've occasionally daydreamed about a G Gundam sequel, but then I realized something...is G Gundam even popular in Japan? I know it is in the West, but I don't know what Japan regards it as.

Wubby

I usually skip most MG releases. But I really like the Rinascita. Also found out that the new action base that's included with the kit was designed by the Japanese modeler Shunneige!

Shun

So I'm on episode 10 of Gundam AGE and I'm really liking this! Like, the art style is really kid-friendly, but the story seems pretty neat and most of the mech designs are RAD. (G-Exes, you're too pure for this world.)
Hell, I'm even thinking about getting the Mega Size AGE-2 just because it looks so good.

From what I remember, it had really terrible ratings because it wasn't "traditional Gundam".

I used to dislike AGE a bit but I recently gave it a second try and it's really warmed up to me. I actually like it a lot and the mech design as well.

The biggest problem in the series comes later down in the later arc which is the last 10-15 episodes. The pacing gets really off and to really enjoy it you'd probably need to watch the OVA as well after finishing AGE.

RangerBAD

It's not as bad as ravens say.

Not a show, but the manga Gundam Crossbones dealt a little bit with what is going on around Jupiter in UC 00133. Tomino, the director of the original Gundam series

The Light novel sequel to Gundam Wing, Frozen Teardrop, takes place on Mars.

Actually, now that I think about it, don't they go to a colony near Venus in Reconguista in G? I mean the place was called Venus Globe... but they never showed the planet itself so I was never entirely sure.
Yeah, Venus Globe is near Venus.

In the Gundam F90 manga, Feddies go to Mars and face off against Zeon remnants there as well.

I usually skip most MG releases. But I really like the Rinascita. Also found out that the new action base that's included with the kit was designed by the Japanese modeler Shunneige!

Be sure to post pics when its done. This is the first Wing suit I've considered buying seriously, thing looks awesome from the preview pics.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
Now that my mobile data speeds are back to normal, I can post a pic of my previously mentioned MG I was dealing with.

Hard to believe I've had it since 2007.

IIgadew.jpg

Shun

IMG_0375.jpg

For those still considering the MG Strike Rouge Ootori, here it is next to my WIP MG Full Armor Unicorn.

As you can see from the pure white Unicorn, the Strike Rouge's pink-white is pretty subtle and it really does add to the charm. Panel lining grey or a light color rather than black is recommended to bring out the lines without being too harsh.

I'm basically done with my Strike Rouge, just adding more metallic paint onto the frame and inverting the black shield so that it's more red.

Other than that it's adding on the decals and sealing it up for a final picture.

Then off to my next set of Gunpla.

Renewed

Finished assembly for Hi-Nu Vrabe but I'm definitely going to give this to someone. The amount of work I see myself doing to make it more bearable won't be worth it when I could move onto something else like the MG Astray Red Frame Kai I've been sitting on for too long.

Finished assembly for Hi-Nu Vrabe but I'm definitely going to give this to someone. The amount of work I see myself doing to make it more bearable won't be worth it when I could move onto something else like the MG Astray Red Frame Kai I've been sitting on for too long.
Yeah, the Hi-Nu requires a TON of extra work. I'm not looking forward to it either. :/

Gundam AGE Episode 1- 15:
This show, in 14 episodes, has managed to build a character, develop the supporting cast, provide actually decent variants on the suit designs, and introduce one hell of a plot.
Flit Asuno might be my favorite character in the whole Gundam franchise in terms of character development pacing for the first few episodes.
He goes from a kid with hopes for the future to a young man with a taste for vengeance. This isn't even 20 episodes in! Like, he doesn't give a single fuck about the Veigans' issues and what not. All he sees are monsters.
Good shit. Gooooooooooood shit.

Edit: ALSO THAT INTRO IS SO GOOD.

Yeah, the Hi-Nu requires a TON of extra work. I'm not looking forward to it either. :/

This show, in 14 episodes, has managed to build a character, develop the supporting cast, provide actually decent variants on the suit designs, and introduce one hell of a plot.
Flit Asuno might be my favorite character in the whole Gundam franchise in terms of character development pacing for the first few episodes.
He goes from a kid with hopes for the future to a young man with a taste for vengeance. This isn't even 20 episodes in! Like, he doesn't give a single fuck about the Veigans' issues and what not. All he sees are monsters.
Good shit. Gooooooooooood shit.

The intro is very good, love it to bits. Sadly... just wait for it, the reasons people talk bad about AGE are coming. The second arc is good imo, but yeah it falls flat on its face in a lot of aspects when all is said and done.

And bah to another arcade card game. They look fun but man... they never leave the arcades.

Shun

Flit Asuno might be my favorite character in the whole Gundam franchise

It's done by Galileo Galilei, one of my favorite bands from near my hometown. In terms of sound, they're like the Two Door Cinema Club or WALK THE MOON of Japan. The first OP is ace and so is the second. But it sorta goes downhill at the 3rd arc.

Also watch further and you'll see more of Flit, for better or worse...

To be honest I think I like the 2nd arc best because I like AGE-2 (minus Dark Hound), the most and I think Asemu as a character and his relationships throughout the arc hold more impact and meaning. Flit and Asemu's development go pretty well to the 3rd arc as well but the pacing just isn't good once it hits near the end of the 2nd arc and throughout all of the 3rd arc.

I'm glad you enjoy the series so far. I regret being so down on it my first run. Had they paced the series better by splitting it up, it would have been more of a commercial success in my opinion. AGE has probably the best grunt unit design in the franchise and there is so much lost potential in the story when Level-5 and Sunrise decided to rush through it rather than give it more time to marinate.

Once you finish I'd recommend going through the Memory of Eden OVA. If possible, check out the PSP game if you have access to it. It's a pretty good game and it's FULL of great Gundam AGE mech design that never really made it into the anime.

I had to share my despair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QNJOZsPdRc
Stop making games I can't play
Watch them port Card Battle to iOS in a year.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
I always tell people the best part (or arguably the only good part) of the 4th arc of AGE is the opening. "AURORA" by Aoi Eir I believe.

Gundam Age 16 - 24:
These episodes are the perfect example of how to ruin a character in record time.
I'm assuming this is why we don't get many generation-style shows. It's too easy for the writers to make the main character from the first part a massive twat.

Asemu is a neat new character that grows at a decent pace. He's very different compared to his dad, which is a great way to keep the show from getting stale. With a bigger cast of supporting characters, the show has taken a "group work" approach to fighting, which works well. The mobile suit design just keeps getting better, from the new Char-like character's rounded suit to contrast Asemu's Zeta-Gundam-like beast. Just great designs for all the characters, whether they be new to old. I feel like this series shines due to the visual style it has as a "new take on the UC".

Still into the show, but Flit's morality change could have been done in a much better way when shifting to the second part of the show. Huge bummer.

Also, the new intro isn't doing anything for me. :/

NEO0MJ

Yay! Just got my Dahack kit!

18745162874_ff7d6643ef_b.jpg

I'm really glad Bandai decided to make a kit of this suit. It's probably my favorite design to come out of that show and their current release schedule shows how much they've given up on the series. Kit looks simple enough, but I won't start working on it until I finish my Z-Knight kit, pictured with its main body complete. On to the shoulders and arms.

yami4ct

Really glad to see most of the rest of the major Gundam stuff finally get releases over here. I'm still pining for Turn A blu-rays and I sure hope Zeta will get a blu-ray set. They definitely have my money for Zeta and X, though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wing on Blu-Ray would be interesting. It's literally the one series that they could actually make a ton of money bringing over to the US.

Paltheos

There's so much wrong with the SF, it's hard to know where to start.

First of all, you hit the nail on the head with the thrown around gold. It's terribly used. You can have gaudy gold mobile suits, but you have to commit to it. Hyaku-Shiki and Akatsuki are great designs because they lean into that over the top crazy coloring. Strike Freedom just throws it in there with no real thought to how it breaks up the color scheme. As it stands, it just gives the suit random splotches of shiny that ruin it color wise.

Then there is the backpack. Again, they just went with the "cool" factor and put funnels on there. That wouldn't have been too bad, but the way they're distributed makes it undeniably worse than the Freedom's backpack. It's just these huge spikes that give a vaguely winged look. It's even worse with the funnels deployed.

Then there's the chest. They added a huge ass gun in the middle for no apparent reason. It destroys the clean lines of the chest and makes it look terrible.

Finally, they tried to make the design way more aggressive and angular. It's way pointier in the head and legs. This again ruins the clean lines of the Freedom designs, ultimately making it significantly worse.

Strike Freedom is a bad design all on its own, but it's made so much worse by the fact it ruined the amazing original. Everything was made over the top and "edgy" and it completely lost what made the original cool.

All that, and I'm glad to find more people that hate this design. Strike Freedom's popularity always baffled me. The kits seem to sell well too, and allot of people proudly post pics of their SF kits. More power to 'em. I don't see the appeal.

I'd add to what you said - I don't understand the beam rifles. Why do they combine? A more concentrated beam, I guess? It already has the plasma cannon on the chest though. And they look duct taped together. Holstering them on the skirts is ok, although now that I think about it, wouldn't it make more sense to have them latch onto the back directly so that the rail guns aren't unusable when you don't have the rifles out?

Much like the rest of the SF design, combining the rifles seems like another "because this idea is cool" without respect to anything else. Buster, for instance, has really cool combining rifles. They look different in each mode, and intimidating, and they both serve different purposes, distinct of using them on their own or in the other mode of combination.

Also the SF's rail guns are kinda dumb looking. They're stumps, and I think the decision for them had most to do with, "Well, we've got all this other stuff on our new design. We should keep old stuff from the Freedom and also make it a little different if possible. We can't keep those old guns on the waists - They're too long compared to the rest of the weapons. Just make 'em shorter."

Edit: Gundam X in NA. Yesssss!

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
All that, and I'm glad to find more people that hate this design. Strike Freedom's popularity always baffled me. The kits seem to sell well too, and allot of people proudly post pics of their SF kits. More power to 'em. I don't see the appeal.

xfrJxx6h.jpg

>_>

EDIT: Better lighting. Damn I miss my old apartment.

2f96fUUh.jpg

NEO0MJ

83121.gif

Just kidding :p

Might be a strange opinion but I think one of the worst upgrades was from Tallgeese to Tallgese III. It just didn't click with me. Felt they ruined the elegant simplicity of the original.

yami4ct

I think you just proved his point. Just look at all that awful thrown about gold. Also, wings of light hide how terrible the backpack looks. Even if I admit the fact the Wings of Light are cool (because the always are), Destiny's are a billion times more awesome so it still loses.

Oh so this is the Gunpla thread...I was just gonna say that Gundam The Origin is one of the best Gundam related things I have ever seen....ok I will see my way out now

yami4ct

Oh so this is the Gunpla thread...I was just gonna say that Gundam The Origin is one of the best Gundam related things I have ever seen....ok I will see my way out now

Well, it's Gunpla, anime and all other things Gundam. You should check out The Origin manga. It's like the OVA but even better. It's so good.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
I think you just proved his point. Just look at all that awful thrown about gold. Also, wings of light hide how terrible the backpack looks. Even if I admit the fact the Wings of Light are cool (because the always are), Destiny's are a billion times more awesome so it still loses.

I was being facetious, but I agree with you.

EDIT: Speaking of kits and SEED DESTINY, RG Infinite Justice when? I love that suit. *unpopular opinion*

paolo11

Strike Freedom is available for preorder FYI at Bigbadtoystore. Got mine preordered.

I got Amatsu Mina Gold Frame and Strike Freedom preordered.

yami4ct

I was being facetious, but I agree with you.

EDIT: Speaking of kits and SEED DESTINY, RG Infinite Justice when? I love that suit. *unpopular opinion*

My internet sarcasm meter is broken, haha. I actually like IJ quite a bit. Aside from the silly head crest it's a nice design and the way it uses a metallic frame shows Strike Freedom how it's done.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
My internet sarcasm mete is broken, haha. I actually like IJ quite a bit. Aside from the silly head crest it's a nice design and the way it uses a metallic frame shows Strike Freedom how it's done.

Indeed so. Plus my personal preference is silver > gold so that helps.

Feels like just yesterday the first scans came out, back when it was called Knight Justice. And you had Super Freedom rather than Strike Freedom. Times were simpler back in those days.

And it seems my inner old man is showing.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit I was really really into SEED way back then. Hell I posted my Gundam DVD collection before with those huge boxes. Plus DESTINY was the first ever anime I watched subbed as it was airing, rather than dubbed on Toonami/Adult Swim/DVD, so it has that distinction.

NEO0MJ

Well, there hasn't been a new gundam show in some time and we pretty much discussed them all to death so yeah not much more than gunpla talk now.

Top Bottom