• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Okay the $19 Gunpla I bought (reppin Build Strike) needs $90 in tools, guess I'm in for at least another kit if I finish this one, fml.

I'm waffling on doing topcoat, but I guess I'm pot committed at this point.

lonely

So on the international Gundam page on Facebook they posted they are going to live stream the new series announcement with English subtitles.

RangerBAD

Like you said they just ended! And we only got one episode from that OVA.

An OVA running during a TV series is pretty normal. It is pretty quick for a mainline TV series if that's what it is. Watch it be SD Gundam or short form anime. Unless the new trend is 26 episodes for a TV series now.

NEO0MJ

An OVA running during a TV series is pretty normal. It is pretty quick for a mainline TV series if that's what it is. Watch it be SD Gundam or short form anime. Unless the new trend is 26 episodes for a TV series now.

My point as more that there wasn't much new for us to discuss. Unfortunately we burned out most potential anime conversations and discussions with the last thread.

Gundam AGE 1-49:
This show had potential.

Gundam AGE is generation-based tale of the Asuno family centered around aspirations of heroism, proving your worth, and changing for the greater good. The three main characters represent these traits through each of their respective "seasons", growing while following in the footsteps of those in the past.

The way the first season was written is the perfect way to introduce this type of story. A charismatic main character dreaming to become a hero for all of those who couldn't fight for themselves, a varied and decently-developed supporting cast that brought back memories of the original series' group, and an unknown threat looming in the distance. Great stuff.

The second season followed about 20 years after the first, with the main character being the protagonist's son. With the constant reminder of his father's accomplishments against the enemy, the new protagonist feels pressured to become worthy of his own name.
It felt like real growth to see him struggle against his own feelings just to prove himself. It works really well as a follow-up to the first season. Plus, the Age-2 is AWESOME.

Then comes the third/fourth season and shifts in a completely different direction, rushing through the story to get to the ending where the first main character redeems himself as a hero. Sadly, to get there, a character with a decent build-up is wasted. This character is the main character's grandson and pilot of the AGE-3/AGE-FX. I actually really liked this character, but it just feels like he was used to make the plot flow and nothing else. Even though he was the only one that saw the true nature of the enemy group and got a really neat two-episode story around this, it just felt empty when we get to the last episodes.

And that's where this show fails. In the final episodes, we see what can only be described as "rushed development". New characters are introduced, old characters are given backstories or are introduced again for 3-4 minutes, decisions don't match the characters's personality, and a ridiculous "do the right thing" segment comes off as laughable rather than touching.

This show had potential. Sadly, the Level-5 style, the FANTASTIC suit designs, and the great characters for the first two seasons were wasted to give us "a real savior".
What a shame.

Also, fuck the AGE-FX/Burst. A terrible choice for a final Gundam version.

Pretty much my summation of AGE as well. It's definitely not all bad but the bad parts are pretty damn glaring.

Hated the third arc so much, not because of the main character, though like you said he was just there to make the plot move and not really "his own" character to the universe. So much was just blasted through in a oh crap we got how many episodes left kinda way. Introducing enemies out of nowhere and talking about how much of a big deal they were to only go down as nothing in seconds.

Acid08

Banned
Finally finished my first RG!

gQ10RzG.jpg

Comparison shot with the 1/144 WZC from like....2000 or something. I was 9 when I built that and found it in a box in the garage a few weeks ago.

I was super impressed during the entire build. The amount of detail packed into such a small package is pretty astonishing. The only complaints I have are: the frame pieces were sometimes a bit stiff and required a lot of effort to get into the right position for assembling and the head on the kit is incredibly loose. It'll just swing back and forth with no effort at all and can barely stay up.

I really, really wish there were more RG kits of suits I care about. I won't buy stuff from 00 or SEED and I already have what I want from 0079 in MG form. Bring on an F91 or God RG please.

I played the demo for Gundam Breaker 2 on vita. It is fun, but pretty ugly. Regardless, it is a shame Bamco never localized any of them.

Wubby

I decided to build the old and new Guncannons back to back. I've never built the old guncannon so was curious to see how much of a step up the new one would be.

The old one isn't so bad. It definitely feels old compared to the new but it still looks the part. I prefer the smaller head and proportions of the new kit. Details and articulation are better of course on the new kit as well. Considering how cheap the new kit is if you want to have one HG Guncannon on the shelf it's the one I'd go with.

Speaking of new kits my long awaited DOM R35 is finally coming out next week and the Lighting Zeta is following a week after that. Revive RX-78-2 will be out later in the month as well. Still undecided if I'll pick up the Kabakali or not..

Also! Every single GBF HG kit (not including all HG Build Custom kits sadly) is going back into production this month. Including Miss Sazabi though I don't know why... those things are still sitting on the shelves from the initial release. The one GBF kit that just won't sell.

Wubby

(crosspost from the Tekku thread in case that one dies)

Sunrise apparently confirmed at Anime Expo that it is indeed a new series.

I like the bulkiness of whatever the suit is in that image. Can't wait for the new kits to come out. Hope they will all be good.

Here's a fans take on what that shadowy image could possibly be:

*FAN image not official
SmsUayUTP4xqyMxOgrUNQ-TsLQlnGd8-agvwkLF1bqHl=w1015-h881-no

RangerBAD

I like the bulkiness of whatever the suit is in that image. Can't wait for the new kits to come out. Hope they will all be good.

*FAN image not official

Gundam Geass. I guess that could be a pack and not a cockpit. That's what this take on it reminds me of. I think its head is at the top of the figure.

Jake.

can someone recommend a good beginner model for someone with zero model building experience (apart from warhammer 15+ years ago) and no knowledge of the anime/manga series? looking to spend less than $40 ideally and i live in australia.

edit: should mention that i'd rather have a kit that doesn't require paint or glue, but glue isn't a huge deal breaker.

NEO0MJ

can someone recommend a good beginner model for someone with zero model building experience (apart from warhammer 15+ years ago) and no knowledge of the anime/manga series? looking to spend less than $40 ideally and i live in australia.

edit: should mention that i'd rather have a kit that doesn't require paint or glue, but glue isn't a huge deal breaker.

You're in luck. Almost no modern gundam model requires glue and most are even complete without the need to paint them. Kits from the last couple of years would be my suggestion. Check out kits in these two pages and tell us what you'll like and we'll tell you if it's a good beginner kit.

http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/hg_cata_e.htm

http://www.dalong.net/review/bf.htm

Jake.

You're in luck. Almost no modern gundam model requires glue and most are even complete without the need to paint them. Kits from the last couple of years would be my suggestion. Check out kits in these two pages and tell us what you'll like and we'll tell you if it's a good beginner kit.

http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/hg_cata_e.htm

http://www.dalong.net/review/bf.htm

thanks! based purely on looks, i like these:

http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/h17/h17_p.htm
http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/h59/h59_p.htm
http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/h70/h70_p.htm
http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/h151/h151_p.htm

*FAN image not official
This looks like a gundam had sex with Eva Unit 1, procreated and it's offspring is going to start third impact. I hope the show is good.

Gundam AGE 1-49:
This show had potential.

Gundam AGE is generation-based tale of the Asuno family centered around aspirations of heroism, proving your worth, and changing for the greater good. The three main characters represent these traits through each of their respective "seasons", growing while following in the footsteps of those in the past.

The way the first season was written is the perfect way to introduce this type of story. A charismatic main character dreaming to become a hero for all of those who couldn't fight for themselves, a varied and decently-developed supporting cast that brought back memories of the original series' group, and an unknown threat looming in the distance. Great stuff.

The second season followed about 20 years after the first, with the main character being the protagonist's son. With the constant reminder of his father's accomplishments against the enemy, the new protagonist feels pressured to become worthy of his own name.
It felt like real growth to see him struggle against his own feelings just to prove himself. It works really well as a follow-up to the first season. Plus, the Age-2 is AWESOME.

Then comes the third/fourth season and shifts in a completely different direction, rushing through the story to get to the ending where the first main character redeems himself as a hero. Sadly, to get there, a character with a decent build-up is wasted. This character is the main character's grandson and pilot of the AGE-3/AGE-FX. I actually really liked this character, but it just feels like he was used to make the plot flow and nothing else. Even though he was the only one that saw the true nature of the enemy group and got a really neat two-episode story around this, it just felt empty when we get to the last episodes.

And that's where this show fails. In the final episodes, we see what can only be described as "rushed development". New characters are introduced, old characters are given backstories or are introduced again for 3-4 minutes, decisions don't match the characters's personality, and a ridiculous "do the right thing" segment comes off as laughable rather than touching.

This show had potential. Sadly, the Level-5 style, the FANTASTIC suit designs, and the great characters for the first two seasons were wasted to give us "a real savior".
What a shame.

Also, fuck the AGE-FX/Burst. A terrible choice for a final Gundam version.

Stop, AGE FX/ Burst is one of the best designs in Gundam.

Oh and I agree, Age 2 was great. It even had the best theme.

FX/Burst seems to have the same color scheme as 00 Quant...ugh, it's boring looking. Nowhere near as cool or iconic as the Zeta Gundam.

Wubby

I like your taste in kits!

The old Dom isn't such a bad kit... but there's a newer Dom coming out this week! I haven't built it yet but I'd recommend this one:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN996732/Gun

Also the newer version of the Zaku you linked:

http://www.hlj.com/product/ban996696

One of those two would be good. I built that Zaku (and the red Char version) and they are really good kits! Best HG Zaku's . Here's what they look like without any of the stickers or anything applied. No glue needed:

So... After going through the disappointment that was AGE, what series should I watch next?

So far, I've watched:
Mobile Suit Gundam (Good)
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (Great)
Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam (Good)
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (Yes)
Gundam Wing (Bad)
G Gundam (YES)
Gundam AGE (Eh)
Gundam Build Fighters (YES)
Gundam Build Fighters Try (Bad)

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
So... After going through the disappointment that was AGE, what series should I watch next?

So far, I've watched:
Mobile Suit Gundam (Good)
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (Great)
Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam (Good)
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (Yes)
Gundam Wing (Bad)
G Gundam (YES)
Gundam AGE (Eh)
Gundam Build Fighters (YES)
Gundam Build Fighters Try (Bad)

You did see Char's Counterattack, right? If not, watch that before starting another series. Same with Endless Waltz, since you've seen Wing.

And I'm gonna be that guy and say watch Turn A last. Or at least watch Victory and X beforehand.

glaurung

Guys, with G-Tekketsu approaching at the speed of light, where are all the Reconguista Master Grade gunpla models?

I mean, even from AGE we got a few MG models, but with Reconguista, there have been none. Has Bandai said anything about this?

Or he could watch something good.....like Turn A!
He should watch Victory before Turn A. Turn A is such a change of pace yet so good that it should be the last one people watch. Victory has its moments though, just warning that dude now that Victory has so many women destined to occupy a refrigerator it's not even funny. Equally balanced out by a female villain so batshit insane and evil that Tomino doesn't even bother to kill her.

Jake.

I recommend going with the Zaku. You should know that there is actually an updated version of the one you posted. Amiami is probably one of the cheaper places to get it.

I like your taste in kits!

The old Dom isn't such a bad kit... but there's a newer Dom coming out this week! I haven't built it yet but I'd recommend this one:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN996732/Gun

Also the newer version of the Zaku you linked:

http://www.hlj.com/product/ban996696

One of those two would be good. I built that Zaku (and the red Char version) and they are really good kits! Best HG Zaku's . Here's what they look like without any of the stickers or anything applied. No glue needed:

thanks to both of you for your help!

considering i live in australia, which would be the best place to order the zaku with the sniper rifle from? will it be relatively simple to put together? i actually like the look of it without the stickers which is probably a good thing considering how fiddly i imagine them to be haha.

NEO0MJ

It should be pretty easy to build. The stores we linked to are your best options price wise. Just choose SAL shipping to save money.

Coppanuva

Anyone built the Transient Gundam model kit? I kinda wanna pick one up and give it a Tekkaman Blade paintjob (it has the general feel for it already), just curious how the kit is.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member

It just feels strange that he saw MSG, Z, ZZ, and Unicorn without seeing CCA (if his list is accurate). It's like skipping a book in a series. Especially when alot of info from CCA is extremely important and relevant in Unicorn.

Acid08

Banned
It just feels strange that he saw MSG, Z, ZZ, and Unicorn without seeing CCA (if his list is accurate). It's like skipping a book in a series. Especially when alot of info from CCA is extremely important and relevant in Unicorn.

Unless I'm not remembering something, there's only one thing that happens in CCA that you'd really need to know. And 2 seconds on a wiki can save you from having to watch that crap fest.

He won by avoiding Quess, Gyunei and Hathaway's bullshit, fuck those guys...especially Quess and Hathaway. He finished UC by not witnessing the massive bitch fest about Lalah that was the end of CCA.

You did see Char's Counterattack, right? If not, watch that before starting another series. Same with Endless Waltz, since you've seen Wing.

And I'm gonna be that guy and say watch Turn A last. Or at least watch Victory and X beforehand.

He should watch Victory before Turn A. Turn A is such a change of pace yet so good that it should be the last one people watch. Victory has its moments though, just warning that dude now that Victory has so many women destined to occupy a refrigerator it's not even funny. Equally balanced out by a female villain so batshit insane and evil that Tomino doesn't even bother to kill her.
Yeah, I totally watched Char's Counterattack. Forgot to add it to the list because of how much of a drag it is except for the last 6+ minutes.
I have too many issues with it to list at this point. :/

Well, I saw the new Victory V2 HG today, so might as well jump in on Victory so I know what the hell I'm buying. >.>

Yeah, I totally watched Char's Counterattack. Forgot to add it to the list because of how much of a drag it is except for the last 6+ minutes.
I have too many issues with it to list at this point. :/

Well, I saw the new Victory V2 HG today, so might as well jump in on Victory so I know what the hell I'm buying. >.>
Warning you now that Victory is fucking crazy. If you watch it under the assumption that the Zanscare Empire went insane due to years of inbreeding then some of their decisions will make sense. Not to mention the mobile suit design in Victory is just flat out weird. Be prepared for wheels.

yami4ct

Someone asked me why I hated CCA so much in another Gundam thread and now I can't stop thinking about how big a piece of shit it is. I don't think it's possible to make a Gundam show worse than that thing.

To slightly lessen my anger, that G-Tekketsu silhouette with lessened shadows looks awesome. Very super robot feel. Love how different it looks from the sort of standard slight, fast, close ranged focused suit we've been getting from protagonists lately (sans G-Reco). Can't wait to see it in full and how it fights. Looks like a real bruiser.

PhiLonius

I don't know if there are manga/novels out there for this, but I always felt like CCA would have been way better had there been something that came between it and Zeta/ZZ.

Going from the latter into CCA is way too jarring knowing the history, especially who and where Amuro and Char were at the end of Z.

yami4ct

I don't know if there are manga/novels out there for this, but I always felt like CCA would have been way better had there been something that came between it and Zeta/ZZ.

Going from the latter into CCA is way too jarring knowing the history, especially who and where Amuro and Char were at the end of Z.

Yep. The single biggest problem with CCA and what makes it really offensively bad to me is how much it changes Char as a character. If they did some more to develop him from where he was at the end of Zeta to the cold leader of CCA, the movie would be bad, but less bad. Beltorchika's Children (or what I've read of it) goes quite a ways to help explain this, but it doesn't go quite far enough.

Wubby

Anyone built the Transient Gundam model kit? I kinda wanna pick one up and give it a Tekkaman Blade paintjob (it has the general feel for it already), just curious how the kit is.

I've put together the Transient. It's a great kit. All new nothing from the old Exia in its construction.

Guys, with G-Tekketsu approaching at the speed of light, where are all the Reconguista Master Grade gunpla models?

I mean, even from AGE we got a few MG models, but with Reconguista, there have been none. Has Bandai said anything about this?

I'm going to laugh when we end up getting MG kits from Tekketsu before a G-Reco MG kit ever happens. Although I do wonder if they've held off on the G-Self kit because it's going to end up being a Ver.Ka release? Eventually we'll get the G-self and it will probably be the only MG ever released for that series.

considering i live in australia, which would be the best place to order the zaku with the sniper rifle from? will it be relatively simple to put together? i actually like the look of it without the stickers which is probably a good thing considering how fiddly i imagine them to be haha.

I'm partial to HLJ myself. Even though I live in Japan I still order from them from time to time. Only place I can find some foreign kits/supplies here.

yami4ct

I cannot wait to get a MG of the Tekketsu if it looks like the silhouette suggests. When we get a MG of G-Self I hope it's at least the perfect pack version, but if it's just the atmosphere pack that's fine I guess. As long as it has a core fighter feature, I'm cool.

Acid08

Banned
Someone asked me why I hated CCA so much in another Gundam thread and now I can't stop thinking about how big a piece of shit it is. I don't think it's possible to make a Gundam show worse than that thing.

00 and CCA tongue kiss each other at the bottom of the Gundam franchise's collective toilet.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Was Char's Counterattack really bad?

Also what happened to the Build Fighter OVA or something?

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
00 and CCA tongue kiss each other at the bottom of the Gundam franchise's collective toilet.

This is exactly why I decided a long time ago to not be so critical about my entertainment. If I was like you guys I'd never enjoy anything I watched, or played, or read, ect.

Sorry but that reads like a post I'd see on /m/, guess that set me off after a bad day.

Acid08

Banned
This is exactly why I decided a long time ago to not be so critical about my entertainment. If I was like you guys I'd never enjoy anything I watched, or played, or read, ect.

wuh? I love tons of things. Those two particular things are just plain terrible to me though. It's unfortunate that you think not liking particular things=not liking anything.

yami4ct

I like tons of things, even things that have problems. I love the first season of 00 and think it sort of elevates the show out of shit tier (an unpopular opinion). I think there are redeeming parts to Victory. I think Gundam X is awesome. I'm critical of CCA because I think it's bad. You're free to think otherwise. To dismiss us as being "too critical to enjoy things" seems like a bad way to defend things you like and we don't.

And to even further prove I'm capable of liking things and not some criticism robot as you so claim, I love The Origin manga about as much as I hate CCA. I think it is perhaps one of the best pieces of science fiction I have ever read. I seriously am not kidding.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
I like tons of things, even things that have problems. I love the first season of 00 and think it sort of elevates the show out of shit tier (an unpopular opinion). I think there are redeeming parts to Victory. I think Gundam X is awesome. I'm critical of CCA because I think it's bad. You're free to think otherwise. To dismiss us as being "too critical to enjoy things" seems like a bad way to defend things you like and we don't.

I don't dismiss your opinions, just posts that over-dramatize how bad something is. No offense meant.

yami4ct

I don't dismiss your opinions, just posts that over-dramatize how bad something is. No offense meant.

I'm not being dramatic when I say I think CCA is the worst gundam thing ever made. I literally think it's that bad. If you want to go into a discussion about reasons, we can do that. I'll even go and rewatch it for like the sixth time (I think I'm at that number) to freshen up.

I don't mean this to sound hostile if it's coming out as such. There's legitimately interesting discussions to be had about the merits (or lack of) of CCA.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
I'm not being dramatic when I say I think CCA is the worst gundam thing ever made. I literally think it's that bad. If you want to go into a discussion about reasons, we can do that. I'll even go and rewatch it for like the sixth time (I think I'm at that number) to freshen up.

I suppose my opinion was worded confrontationally, I apologize. Shouldn't let bad days affect GAF etiquette.

Top Bottom