• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The head of Playstation studios uses his PS5 upside down

SegaManAU

Gold Member
What is going on here...? lol

Hermen Hulst, who is the head of PlayStation Studios (formerly the Head of Guerrila Games) Tweeted out a questionable image of his PS5 last night before quickly deleting it.

The picture had his PS5 upside down on his entertainment unit (and a cat scratching at his TV screen which we wouldn’t recommend either). It’s a bit of a weird one, and I’d genuinely love to know the reason why it’s upside down.

EpHQxVTXUAMG7pY

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Even Playstation guys doesn't know what's the right orientation to place the PS5.

AmuroChan

What he actually has is the prototype PS5 Pro, where the disc drive will be at the top. 3 years from now it'll be revealed that we've been trolled all along.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Trimesh

Banned
Reminded me of when I was a kid and my PS1 stopped reading discs. I turned it upside and it started working properly again. lol

Yeah, they were terrible for that - I think the failure rate on the early units with the KSM-440AAM pickup module was basically 100%. This was especially fun since the debug consoles you used for testing builds were based on the same hardware and the testers often had to run those upside down too.

AlexxKidd

If he's playing digital games, which is what I suspect, it doesn't matter if he has it upside down, sideways or inside out.

Though oddly enough, it actually looks just as correct upside down as it does right-side up. I wonder if the stand supports playing that way. Entirely too lazy to check.

If he's playing digital games, which is what I suspect, it doesn't matter if he has it upside down, sideways or inside out.

Though oddly enough, it actually looks just as correct upside down as it does right-side up. I wonder if the stand supports playing that way. Entirely too lazy to check.
It works even with the disc like that right? just have to put the disc in upside down.

Iorv3th

Not really, PS4 is the reason for the confusion
All Playstations have always had the disc drive facing left, same with PS5

PS2-Versions.jpg

PS3-Consoles-Set.jpg

960x0.jpg

But the PS4, disc facing right
PS4+Model+numbers+US.jpg

All the other systems had the disc drive on the high side of the console though. Where the disc would go in facing the meatier part of the console if that makes sense.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
All the other systems had the disc drive on the high side of the console though. Where the disc would go in facing the meatier part of the console if that makes sense.
Yeah that's the different thing about the PS5, but a lot of people have been putting the disc in upside down, which probably the reason why.
I always thought it odd with the PS4 but PS5 I'm ok with

I don't understand the placement either. The discs even go in backwards of what you would think.

When placed vertically I see this for sure. I definitely put the disc in shiny side facing in the first couple times and wondered what the odd whirring noise the console was making was. I believe unless I'm extremely geometrically challenged that in the correct horizonal position, the discs would go shiny side down, as they always have?

The Shift

Banned
It's a tribute.

Anyone who owned an original Playstation back in the day knows what's up 💽

Edit: posts above mine check out

Last edited:

I have a disc version but I don't use discs since I buy all digital. I had my PS5 like this for two weeks now because I didn't bother to set up the base lol. I tried to set the base yesterday and that's when I realized it was upside down.

Playstation 5 is going to get a major redesign. I think it's inevitable. The systems always get slight revisions and I think this one will get a bigger visual overhaul.

Top Bottom