• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onikaan

Watched it for the 2nd time last night. Such a great adaptation.

So they needed a chaser, a threat for the company throughout the first film. They fulfilled that need with Azog. But why Azog? It seems to me Bolg would have played that part, considering he's at the end of the book and Azog was killed in the Battle of Azanulbizar.

Any thoughts?

Loxley

Watched it for the 2nd time last night. Such a great adaptation.

So they needed a chaser, a threat for the company throughout the first film. They fulfilled that need with Azog. But why Azog? It seems to me Bolg would have played that part, considering he's at the end of the book and Azog was killed in the Battle of Azanulbizar.

Any thoughts?

Using Azog gave Thorin a far more personal connection to the antagonist, given that Azog killed Thrór.

Also, there are a couple of theories that Azog still being alive will be explained in one of the next two films.

Oh dear, I hope everyone doesn't mind me showing off again! I sent my NZ friend some Portland swag last month, and her return care package finally arrived this week--

ngsiSlu.jpg

--and these are the Hobbity things she sent! <3 The keychain went on my backpack, but I'm utterly terrified of using the pin because I'm afraid of losing it. It'll live with my other Hobbit memorabilia for now :)

Needless to say this has not helped my crippling desire to visit New Zealand.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Oh dear, I hope everyone doesn't mind me showing off again! I sent my NZ friend some Portland swag last month, and her return care package finally arrived this week--

--and these are the Hobbity things she sent! <3 The keychain went on my backpack, but I'm utterly terrified of using the pin because I'm afraid of losing it. It'll live with my other Hobbit memorabilia for now :)

Needless to say this has not helped my crippling desire to visit New Zealand.
Lovely stuff.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
John Boorman discusses his discarded LOTR film

The interview starts a few minutes in.

http://www.empireonline.com/podcast/

Lest we forget some of his ideas:
After the destruction of the Ringwraiths at the Fords of Bruinen, Frodo is carried into the sparkling palace of Rivendell, where in a vast amphitheatre full of chanting elves he is laid naked on a crystal table and covered with green leaves. A thirteen-year-old Arwen surgically removes the Morgul-blade fragment from his shoulder with a red-hot knife under the threatening axe of Gimli, while Gandalf dares Boromir to try to take the Ring.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
What's interesting about the analysis of the three scripts noted above is that Janet Brennan Croft is the Tolkien scholar for The Hobbit trilogy.

She has this to say in conclusion to her analysis:
What is the solution to the problem of writing the perfect adaptation of Tolkien?  Would a twenty-hour miniseries be long enough to cover all the nuances of his work, or would readers still be disappointed? Readers may dream about the day when a filmmaker will be daring enough to stick to Tolkien's unusual structure, dialogue, and original story, yet creative enough to add the touches that make a great movie more than just a literal transcription from page to screen. But it may be impossible, and perhaps even undesirable. Tolkien may have been right in saying that a film can never capture all the nuances of a work of fiction. The film playing in the reader's mind, after all, is the one that reader really wants to see.

I think we can see her influence on An Unexpected Journey's script shining through at times in the film.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
My favorite part from the Boorman stuff noted above (thanks again, this stuff is gold):

The analysis of the treatments continues:
I noticed that one too. One can only imagine how traumatizing that scene would be to younger viewers and fans of Dwarves.

Gandalf doesn't come across very well in Boorman's script. With a friend like that who needs enemies.

Unfortunately I don't have time this morning to craft a proper reply about those scrips, but wow. The things that have been highlighted in this thread? Kinda make me sick to my stomach, honestly. How brutal :( And the comments in the article about the roles of the already sparse women were either greatly reduced, or changed in a sexualized manner? (Though they mention Arwen being a "warrior princess" in PJ's adaptation, the only time I see her as such is when she brings Frodo back to Rivendell) It sounds like I would have passed on watching these movies at all.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Unfortunately I don't have time this morning to craft a proper reply about those scrips, but wow. The things that have been highlighted in this thread? Kinda make me sick to my stomach, honestly. How brutal :( And the comments in the article about the roles of the already sparse women were either greatly reduced, or changed in a sexualized manner? (Though they mention Arwen being a "warrior princess" in PJ's adaptation, the only time I see her as such is when she brings Frodo back to Rivendell) It sounds like I would have passed on watching these movies at all.
Many would share your sentiment. These scripts should be held up as examples of how not to adapt a novel.
This one from the above summary is hard to fathom:

Oh riiiiight....A "Live action version".

...And to exactly no one's surprise, there was no further correspondence between the author and the young film maker.

Might just fire up Excalibur again as I haven't seen it for awhile. This definitely adds some new colour to it and thanks again for posting the article.
You're welcome. You should check out Loxley's all encompassing Tolkien thread if you haven't already. The One thread to rule them all.

Edmond Dantès;53588889 said:

This just puts such a highlight on how they did such a fabulous job casting everyone. Everything about him is so good. His voice, posture, attitude, expressions... yep. And here I thought wizards couldn't get more cuddly than Gandalf ;)

That being said, if PJ crams just one
ultra-depressing character related incident
into his adaptation that isn't already in the book, I swear. I'm already bracing myself for There And Back Again, I don't need... well, not need, but want. I don't want to be surprised by extra unpleasentries. Which is, of course, just me setting myself up for a bad time.

Loxley

This just puts such a highlight on how they did such a fabulous job casting everyone. Everything about him is so good. His voice, posture, attitude, expressions... yep. And here I thought wizards couldn't get more cuddly than Gandalf ;)

That being said, if PJ crams just one
ultra-depressing character related incident
into his adaptation that isn't already in the book,
I swear. I'm already bracing myself for There And Back Again, I don't need... well, not need, but want. I don't want to be surprised by extra unpleasentries. Which is, of course, just me setting myself up for a bad time.

Sebastian :(

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;53865177 said:
Viggo Mortensen still Hopeful for a return as Aragorn in The Hobbit trilogy

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=77542

Bugger off Viggo, Aragorn has no place in The Hobbit.

Hmmm.

If they expand on Gollum's story they can have him in Movie 3.

I suppose, but that would still be a serious stretch. Honestly I feel like it would come as just kind of a lame excuse to make another connection to the LotR trilogy and needlessly bring another character back.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Hmmm.

I suppose, but that would still be a serious stretch. Honestly I feel like it would come as just kind of a lame excuse to make another connection to the LotR trilogy and needlessly bring another character back.
Indeed.

I would have been okay with a reference to Estel in Rivendell while the party were there, but Viggo's Aragorn makes no sense considering the time period.

Which doesn't help my idea of getting a sword, probably Theoden's. Speaking of which, I'm assuming that there's plenty of cheap copies. Where do I get one of proper quality that doesn't kill my wallet at the same time?

Out of all the swords in the movies Theodens is easily the most recognizable. Was it ever named in the books, I can't remember.

Orcrist of course might rival it just with its distinct look.

Loxley

Which doesn't help my idea of getting a sword, probably Theoden's. Speaking of which, I'm assuming that there's plenty of cheap copies. Where do I get one of proper quality that doesn't kill my wallet at the same time?

Replica Dungeon sells it for $179.99. For comparison, my officially licensed replica of Orcrist was $199.99.

Out of all the swords in the movies Theodens is easily the most recognizable. Was it ever named in the books, I can't remember.

Orcrist of course might rival it just with its distinct look.

His sword was named Herugrim, which was never mentioned in the films.

I'd say Sting is more recognizable. But that might be because it has the most shots solely of it, in order to bring attention to its blue.

Personally I think Glamdring is a pretty sexy piece of hardware, myself

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Speaking of weapons; the two greatest named weapons, excluding Rings of Power.

fingolfin.jpg

Grond: The Hammer of the Underworld and
Ringil, the sword of Fingolfin.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Edmond Dantès;53924430 said:
Speaking of weapons; the two greatest named weapons, excluding Rings of Power.

fingolfin.jpg

Grond: The Hammer of the Underworld and
Ringil, the sword of Fingolfin.

That looks slightly miss-matched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom