• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

StuBurns said:
Probably, but they certainly could do it that way.
You could, but if it looks like shit what would be the point ;-)

Although the way the article states it as a measure of 'future proofing' the film does certainly imply there will be 24fps versions at the very least at cinemas. I think separating 2D and 3D is simple enough for consumers, but when you start dabbling with framerates people are going to get confused, I could see them wanting a more consumer friendly response than you have to buy a new TV.
Certainly there will be 24Hz versions available for theaters. The producers would wouldn't release it if something this high-budget couldn't have large-scale release.

As to being consumer friendly, if you want a new feature and it can't reasonably be stuffed into current tech ... then you need to get new equipment. That's how it's always been, and I'm not sure people love the idea of getting a new media player either.

Regardless, I can guarantee however it's implemented ... any BD player or TV would support both. ie 3D and 48Hz 2D (unless they say fuck it and update both so 48Hz 3D is possible). You wouldn't see someone release a 48Hz BD or TV that doesn't support 3D as well.

StuBurns

Banned
Raistlin said:
You could, but if it looks like shit what would be the point ;-)
I don't believe it would look like shit. Can we test it right now? Get some 48fps footage and play it on a console. Games certainly look massively better at mid forty framerates than thirty.

Raistlin

Willy105 said:
No. You are getting 48fps for both eyes.

Why would it be half? This ain't 3D TV.
Just to clarify ... 3D TV does not drop the framerate in half for 24Hz material.

If you were implying current tech wouldn't be able to handle 48Hz 3D, yes that's correct ... but I think some might think you're stating 3D TV's actually drop framerates on content made for it (TV broadcasts, games, BD 3D). They do not.

Zabka

Raistlin said:
He's doing both ... at least in theaters.

You'll probably be waiting for a while if you literally mean inputting 48Hz. That isn't part of any exist spec. You'd first need a new HDMI spec, and then an entirely new BD spec.
Yep. I will be waiting a while.
If your TV is really display at 48Hz, and you think it looks just fine, I question how useful native 48Hz would be to you. If you don't note flicker you aren't particularly sensitive to framerates. I suppose you'd still probably see the blur reduction though. There is a relation between temporal sensitivity and perceived resolution, but it's not an entirely simple relationship.
No flicker here son.

If The Hobbit ends up being projected at 48fps, it will pretty much guarantee that Cameron will go 60fps on Avatar 2.

Also, whilst this news is indeed awesome, it already saddens me that I'll be thinking of Tintin as dated when it comes out with its strobing 3D and all.

Raistlin

StuBurns said:
I don't believe it would look like shit. Can we test it right now? Get some 48fps footage and play it on a console. Games certainly look massively better at mid forty framerates than thirty.
That's not really the same thing ... and anyway, they're jittery.

Film content output at 60Hz uses a process known as 2:3 pulldown. This produces an artifact known as telecine judder due to the irregular cadence. I personally hate it, but most only find it mildly annoying. Typically it's only really obvious in pans, etc.

The problem with going from 48Hz to 60Hz is that you would be doubling the space between the irregularities (which would make it more noticeable), and when the irregularity occurs, it would actually be for double in length. That would most certainly be more noticeable.

If someone has good SW we could make some test material. Logically looking at the math though, it would look worse.

Raistlin

Zabka said:
Yep. I will be waiting a while.

No flicker here son.
Based on your second answer, I'm not sure I understand the first. Or at least I hope that's not your main reason for waiting.

Dead

well not really...yet
Scullibundo said:
If The Hobbit ends up being projected at 48fps, it will pretty much guarantee that Cameron will go 60fps on Avatar 2.

Also, whilst this news is indeed awesome, it already saddens me that I'll be thinking of Tintin as dated when it comes out with its strobing 3D and all.
Not necessarily, they might agree on 48 fps as a standard.

Shooting at 60 to futureproof but projecting at 48 seems likelier, since the difference between 48 and 60 isn't THAT huge according to the Cinema-Con presentation.

And yeah, thats a shame about Tintin

StuBurns

Banned
Raistlin said:
That's not really the same thing ... and anyway, they're jittery.

Film content output at 60Hz uses a process known as 2:3 pulldown. This produces an artifact known as telecine judder due to the irregular cadence. I personally hate it, but most only find it mildly annoying. Typically it's only really obvious in pans, etc.

The problem with going from 48Hz to 60Hz is that you would be doubling the space between the irregularities (which would make it more noticeable), and when the irregularity occurs, it would actually be for double in length. That would most certainly be more noticeable.

If someone has good SW we could make some test material. Logically looking at the math though, it would look worse.
Look worse than what? 24fps? Because that should be the comparison. I'd like to see, I find it hard to believe it wouldn't be much nicer.

You can say video games aren't the same thing, and you're right in a way of course, but 45fps looks way better than 30fps to me in a game that is still going to the TV at 60Hz. Maybe to you it doesn't.

I really need to calm myself down we have a long ways to go for this brilliance. I can't start hyping now or ill have to lower my cholesterol by the time Hobbit releases.

Darkgran said:
Really disappointed about the 3D.

I'm hyped about the movie but screw the 3D.

How can you be disappointed in that? Until every theater provides you only with a 3D experience simply buy the cheaper ticket. Problem solved.

Zabka

Raistlin said:
Based on your second answer, I'm not sure I understand the first. Or at least I hope that's not your main reason for waiting.
You drunk?

I am excited for 48 fps movies. I am happy with the way my TV handles current standards. I will not buy a new TV until new standards are in place and being used in production TVs.

192 Hz TVs or bust!

my excitement for this film is 0%, but now I have to see it because of the 48 frames per second. I honestly think it could change everyone's mind about 3D when you pair the two technologies.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So let's assume this comes out on blu ray at 48fps right, and you have a TV that can just do 60fps. It should still look much better, yeah? They double frames and stuff from a 24fps source to get it to show on a 60fps TV, presumably they'll have to do less frame duplicating to get from 48 to 60 and there will be more picture data in there anyway.

Dead

well not really...yet
Expendable. said:
Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't a smoother image decrease nausea? (especially in the case of 3D)
It would.

But that won't stop people from spreading misinformation, lol.

WillyFive

Raistlin said:
Just to clarify ... 3D TV does not drop the framerate in half for 24Hz material.

If you were implying current tech wouldn't be able to handle 48Hz 3D, yes that's correct ... but I think some might think you're stating 3D TV's actually drop framerates on content made for it (TV broadcasts, games, BD 3D). They do not.

Thank you.

Raistlin

StuBurns said:
Look worse than what? 24fps? Because that should be the comparison. I'd like to see, I find it hard to believe it wouldn't be much nicer.
I am talking about 24fps. What do you think 2:3 pulldown is for?

24->60Hz
AABBBAABBBAABBBAABBBAABBBAABBBAABBBAABBBAA

48->60
ABCDDABCDDABCDDABCDDABCDDABCDDABCDDABCDDABC

Note how the patterns look. With 24Hz material, what we see is every other frame shows an irregularity. While that is not optimal, it is tightly coupled which the brain can more easily deal with. More importantly however, note that the irregular 'frame' is only 50% longer than the surrounding 'normal' frames.

Now look at 48Hz material. There is a 3 frame gap in between the irregularity. That extra space will be more distracting. While the irregularity is still a repeating pattern, it's spacing will cause it to be easier to note. Worse yet, the irregularity is actually 100% longer than the surrounding 'normal' frames. That will really make it stand out.

Raistlin

Zabka said:
You drunk?

I am excited for 48 fps movies. I am happy with the way my TV handles current standards. I will not buy a new TV until new standards are in place and being used in production TVs.

192 Hz TVs or bust!
I'm stating that if you truly cannot see flicker in a true 48Hz refresh, it's questionable how sensitive to motion you are. ie. you may not get that much out of the increase framerate.

I'd like to clarify a few things though. What type of TV do you have. Is it plasma or LCD? What model?

Dead said:
It would.

But that won't stop people from spreading misinformation, lol.
Indeed.

Raistlin

Tathanen said:
So let's assume this comes out on blu ray at 48fps right, and you have a TV that can just do 60fps. It should still look much better, yeah? They double frames and stuff from a 24fps source to get it to show on a 60fps TV, presumably they'll have to do less frame duplicating to get from 48 to 60 and there will be more picture data in there anyway.
see my post above

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Do we know that's how it works though? Do they only duplicate D? Or could they do like:

AABCDABBCDABCCDABCDD

[Edit] I guess you'd end up with DDAA at the end there wouldn't you, that'd hardly be ideal.

OPRpf.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
TekkenMaster said:
Cameron won't let Peter Jackson one-up him...he'll invent something even beyond 48 fps 3D for the Avatar sequels.
I doubt he cares. Whats good for 3D is in Camerons interests. If anything, he's probably glad PJ is shooting in 48fps.

If he was worried about other Directors using it before him, he wouldn't be going around making huge presentations and telling people to do it.

Dead said:
I doubt he cares. Whats good for 3D is in Camerons interests. If anything, he's probably glad PJ is shooting in 48fps.

If he was worried about other Directors using it before him, he wouldn't be going around making huge presentations and telling people to do it.

Yeah, I know he's almost certainly happy about it...but I bet he still wants Avatar 2 to be the "first" at something, just like Avatar 1 was the first for correctly-shot live action 3D.

Exactly. If anything, it will mean more cinemas go digital before A2's release. Though I still think Cameron will shoot A2 at 60fps so it has some sort of technological draw that hasn't been featured before. Not that he won't invent other shit, because that is just unheard of for JC.

Raistlin

Dead said:

It's not like Cameron came up with the idea or anything anyway. Hell, this wouldn't even be the first times we see high-speed movies.

Maxivision48 - 1999 tech (48fps, but with the advantage of using 35mm film)
Showscan - Late 70's and 80's tech (60fps)

Zabka

Raistlin said:
I'm stating that if you truly cannot see flicker in a true 48Hz refresh, it's questionable how sensitive to motion you are. ie. you may not get that much out of the increase framerate.

I'd like to clarify a few things though. What type of TV do you have. Is it plasma or LCD? What model?
It's an LG 42LH30 LCD. The only TVs I've heard of that have flicker problems at 48Hz are plasmas. 24p TV Roundup

It's not a CRT or an old timey crank projector. Do you have problems watching 2d movies in the theater?

Dead

well not really...yet
Raistlin said:
It's not like Cameron came up with the idea or anything anyway. Hell, this wouldn't even be the first times we see high-speed movies.

Maxivision48 - 1999 tech (48fps, but with the advantage of using 35mm film)
Showscan - Late 70's and 80's tech (60fps)
Yep

And Doug Trumbull has announced he is going to make a 3D 60FPS movie too.

Neuromancer said:
The human eye can only detect 24 fps anyway I thought, anything higher is just wasted.

Anyway I'm pumped!
So why do we have 60fps games? Why does NTSC video run at approx. 30fps? Not even remotely true.

teiresias

Oh great, "The Hobbit" to have the "classy" look of such high art as "Days of Our Lives" and "General Hospital". I always wanted my movies to look like they were filmed like soap operas.

Okay, who here complaining about 48fps filming has actually seen something shot at 48fps, and then projected or played back at 48fps? No one.

Wait until you actually see it in action before crying about it. If the reaction from CinemaCon is any indication, it will be revelatory.

Raistlin

Zabka said:
It's an LG 42LH30 LCD. The only TVs I've heard of that have flicker problems at 48Hz are plasmas. 24p TV Roundup
I see - that's why I asked. LCD will not have flicker (normally*). What allows Plasma to exhibit dramatically better motion resolution also results in flicker if the refresh is below your flicker fusion threshold.

*If an LCD offers black or contrast-adjusted frame insertion, it too can create flicker depending on what refresh and algorithm is being employed.

It's not a CRT or an old timey crank projector.
I hope you aren't implying Plasma is some sort of inferior, antiquated technology. If PlasmaGaf catches wind, this thread will move from being a train derailment to a train derailment on a suspension bridge :D

Do you have problems watching 2d movies in the theater?
Actually if the projector is using the typical double-shuttering display method (which is typical actually), then yes ... yes I do. Thank god no one uses non-shuttering projectors in this day an age.

If I'm looking at a scene, especially if it has a relatively bright, uniform area of the screen - such as the sky or something, a patch of snow, etc - it looks like a rave to me :D

Yes I'm exaggerating. It doesn't look quite like a rave, but I really do notice the flicker and it's pretty distracting.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
teiresias said:
Oh great, "The Hobbit" to have the "classy" look of such high art as "Days of Our Lives" and "General Hospital". I always wanted my movies to look like they were filmed like soap operas.

It doesn't work like that. On film, it looks very distinctive and impressive. Like the difference between temporal anti-aliasing and 60 fps.

It's a very cool effect. Since I can't see 3D, this is a gimmick I can appreciate. They should also film everything in 70mm and above.

Amir0x

Banned
teiresias said:

fuck me. this really is how people think isn't it

this world is so fucked

Zabka

Raistlin said:
Blathering blatherskite
Yarp.

WHO LOVES HOBBIT KIDS?!
n5xwP.gif

stolen from a user at ONTD

Even with all the cool stuff in the Hobbit, I am most excited to see Hobbiton again.

OuterWorldVoice said:
It doesn't work like that. On film, it looks very distinctive and impressive. Like the difference between temporal anti-aliasing and 60 fps.

It's a very cool effect. Since I can't see 3D, this is a gimmick I can appreciate. They should also film everything in 70mm and above.
Once they get the digital cameras up to insane resolutions, this will be the norm. Shooting in IMAX level resolutions in 3D at 48fps.

I am glad they are pushing the envelope with The Hobbit, and it will be very nice for the theater to be able to offer something that just cant be shown the same way in the home. It will create a unique experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom