• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
ReconYoda said:
I have yet to see any of the Extended Editions..I just cant justify that time investment yet. Ill probably get around to it before The Hobbit comes out though.

Really? Damn man they are long, but shit they aren't THAT long. Fuck they are split on 2 dvds so if need be watch dvd 1 call it a night and watch dvd 2 the next night. Boom your done.

LM4sure

Banned
Peter Jackson looks like shit. What the hell happened to him?

But I want to be excited about The Hobbit. It's hard though, especially after seeing Jackson's last two films. The quality of his films has gone down as much as his weight. Real drop off.

agrajag

Banned
Retro said:
Yeah, I was 99.9% sure he doesn't appear there... but who knows if Jackson will sneak him into the White Council scenes or something to make up for the fact that he was cut from the LotR movies.

lol, Tom Bombadil is not the type of guy to give a flying hoot about the White Council and things like that.

They actually discussed that fact at the White Council. Having Tom Bombadil just doesn't make any sense from a narrative perspective in The Hobbit. They already have a quirky/wise forest dweller that helps out the dwarves in Beorn, no need for another one. And if Jackson neglected to include him in TLOTR, I don't see why he'd have a sudden change of heart and shoehorn him into The Hobbit.

santi_yo said:
Look what I found

sheep-hobbit-1.jpg

hobbit-peter-jackson-2.jpg

ZOMG guys look!!!

oE6VQ.jpg

CARS IN LOTR!!!1 lol

Kud Dukan

Aguirre said:
Source? I wonder what's wrong...

He had surgery for a perforated ulcer back at the end of January. That's why they are just starting to film now. They were originally going to start a few weeks ago.

Retro

agrajag said:
lol, Tom Bombadil is not the type of guy to give a flying hoot about the White Council and things like that.

They actually discussed that fact at the White Council. Having Tom Bombadil just doesn't make any sense from a narrative perspective in The Hobbit. They already have a quirky/wise forest dweller that helps out the dwarves in Beorn, no need for another one. And if Jackson neglected to include him in TLOTR, I don't see why he'd have a sudden change of heart and shoehorn him into The Hobbit.

That's my point; there's absolutely no reason to include the character unless Peter Jackson decides to put him in.

pringles

I am hyped to see these movies in theatres, but almost more hyped to watch the Extended Editions of them that are sure to follow on Blu-Ray and that'll hopefully be just as packed with awesome bonus features as the LOTR EEs are.

Regarding the trilogy, I think The Two Towers (extended of course) is my favorite. Just love all the Helm's Deep stuff. The build-up to the battle is perfect, and the elves coming to help out is probably the one change from the books that is without question an improvement (imo). Also Theoden is such a great character, and his "The Horse and The Rider" speech has to be one of my favorite moments of the trilogy.

MadraptorMan said:
I think it's interesting to note that there are a lot more displays of magical ability from Gandalf in The Hobbit when compared to the LotR trilogy. I mean the man straight up smites handfuls of Goblins and lights worgs on fire if memory serves.

I suppose Tolkien wasn't thinking about the limitations imposed on Gandalf as a Maia in Middle Earth when he wrote The Hobbit (hell he probably hadn't even thought up the idea of Maiar yet?).

He shoots lighting bolts/thunder at goblins and lights pine cones on fire and throws them at wargs from memory

Aguirre

I hope the scenery remains (somewhat) natural like the LOTR trilogy. The cinematography in that movie was breathtaking - even the one's with CGI ruins.

Wray

Advance_Alarm said:
eowyn v the witch king was almost exactly like in the book, how was it butchered. I skip the Gandalf v WK fight on my EE DVDs and pretend it doesnt exist

The dialog was completely butchered and dumbed down for J6P.

Book Dialog

Èowyn: Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace.

Witch-king: Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.

Èowyn: Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may.

Witch-king: Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!

Èowyn: But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

Film Dialog

Èowyn: I will kill you if you touch him!

Witch-king: Do not come between the Nazgûl and his prey.

Witch-king: Fool... No man can kill me... die now...

Èowyn: I am no man!

Evlar

Banned
Johnlenham said:
He shoots lighting bolts/thunder at goblins and lights pine cones on fire and throws them at wargs from memory
He also does this ventriloquism thing with the Hill Trolls to keep them arguing until sunrise- they keep hearing voices which each thinks belongs to one of the other trolls.

Oh, and more magical smoke rings.

And he relates a story of being caught in the Necromancer's dungeons and managing to escape; I'm sure PJ can make something from that.

Retro

Evlar said:
And he relates a story of being caught in the Necromancer's dungeons and managing to escape; I'm sure PJ can make something from that.

With the focus on the White Council and the expulsion of the Necromancer from Mirkwood (which happens before the Battle of the Five Armies if I recall correctly), we could actually see a lot of magic, with Gandalf, Saruman and (probably) Radagast all being wizards and more than a few Nazgul present at Dol Guldur.

(Why the fuck do I know so much about Tolkien?)

First batch of spy photos have begun to appear:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/03/29/43072-torn-exclusive-first-pics-from-the-hobbit-set/

Possibly Martin Freeman here:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/03/30/43080-torn-exclusive-did-master-titi-capture-martin-freeman-as-bilbo/

And Ian McKellan has a few interesting words to say about the screen test process and costume changes for Gandalf:

http://www.mckellen.com/cinema/hobbit-movie/110331.htm

Also, Orlando Bloom will still not confirm or deny his cameo:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/03/31/43149-orlando-bloom-talks-hobbit/#more-43149

brandonh83 said:
leaked teaser from CinemaCon

Shows no footage but... it successfully gave me the fucking heebie-jeebies

Oh lord I got nerd chills. I really miss not just the films, but the event of seeing them. Sure I went to see great, fun films like TDK at the theater and had a good time, but it didn't feel almost like a holiday, which is how the three films were for me. Me and my friend planned our entire schedules around seeing the movies on opening day

edit: fake? lol it was effective

teiresias

brandonh83 said:
leaked teaser from CinemaCon

Shows no footage but... it successfully gave me the fucking heebie-jeebies

edit: nvm looks like it's a fake... got me though!

That has to be fake. I mean, what kind of wonky english phrasing is, "In 2001 we have shown you the Middle-Earth."? I half expected the next shot to say, "Gandalf has set up us the bomb."

teiresias said:
That has to be fake. I mean, what kind of wonky english phrasing is, "In 2001 we have shown you the Middle-Earth."? I half expected the next shot to say, "Gandalf has set up us the bomb."

:lol

Yeah, I guess it's just where that CinemaCon event is going on, and aside from a few things it's pretty well made-- I mean it even fooled PhoenixDark

aceface

Wray said:

Book Dialog

Witch-king: Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.

Èowyn: But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

Film Dialog

Holy shit I have to read the book again. My memory of the books has been totally exploded and destroyed by the movies because I don't remember this at all, and I read these books about 5 times back in the day.

Lebron

Wray said:

Book Dialog

Film Dialog

The pretty much had all the book dialog in the Rankin/Bass cartoon. Too bad the Witch King sounded like fucking Starscream, which just made it hilarious.

As much as I'd have loved to have seen del Torro's version, I'm even happier knowing that THE person who should've always been on the job, is on the job in order to get the shit done and done right: Peter Jackson.

mrkgoo

Wray said:

Book Dialog

Film Dialog

Tob e fair, if you take the dialogue from the books and put them in their entirety, the movies would be insanely long.

And some of it is just too flowery and ye olde for a modern movie audience.

Altazor

I'm so excited for these movies I feel like I'm a kid again. 10 years ago I read the books for the first time... just months before Fellowship premiered. To make a very long story short, these books changed my life - a lot of the people that have made an impact on my life are people I met through the book (or, in other words, an online forum). Damn.

Anyway, I can't accurately describe what I'm feeling right now. It's like a weird mix of nostalgia and excitement and happiness... it's like I'm 12 years old again and following every detail of the movie's production. Good times.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Vega said:
Is Hugo Weaving not in this? I haven't heard anything at all about Elrond. :/

Elrond must be in it (its been some time since I read The Hobbit, but I am pretty sure he was in the story)!!!

So the greatest adventure film of all-time is getting a prequel? YES!

Though I fear this won't be as good as The Lord of the Rings as that had a far more interesting story than The Hobbit.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Flying_Phoenix said:
So the greatest adventure film of all-time is getting a prequel? YES!

Though I fear this won't be as good as The Lord of the Rings as that had a far more interesting story than The Hobbit.
The hobbit is infinitely more adaptable. The fact that the man was able to do the best job possible with LOTR (I sorta' hated the third one and thought it was overstuffed and tonally off in spots, but I'll be the first to say Jackson killed it better than anyone has a right to ask for) and is now sinking his teeth into the easiest one to do is promising.
Hell, the guy has even had some minor stumbles, which always helps assure a director won't get too nutty with the source material.
I remember being in awe of Fellowship mostly because they cut XACTLy what I would have cut and added stuff that made my mom like it too... without ruining anything.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
mrkgoo said:
Tob e fair, if you take the dialogue from the books and put them in their entirety, the movies would be insanely long.

And some of it is just too flowery and ye olde for a modern movie audience.

Definitely agree with this. Any sense of urgency in that scene would have been deflated as they parleyed.

Staccat0 said:
The hobbit is infinitely more adaptable. The fact that the man was able to do the best job possible with LOTR (I sorta' hated the third one and thought it was overstuffed and tonally off in spots, but I'll be the first to say Jackson killed it better than anyone has a right to ask for) and is now sinking his teeth into the easiest one to do is promising.
Hell, the guy has even had some minor stumbles, which always helps assure a director won't get too nutty with the source material.
I remember being in awe of Fellowship mostly because they cut XACTLy what I would have cut and added stuff that made my mom like it too... without ruining anything.

The story just doesn't seem as...epic.

EDIT - People wanted the book dialogue to be in the film? Because that would be shit.

Wray said:

Book Dialog

Film Dialog

The former is horrendous.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Wray said:

Book Dialog

Film Dialog

seriously... the book dialog would never work in a movie. your audience would fall asleep while they sit down with a cup of coffee and talk about it on the battlefield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom