• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkgran

Solo said:
All the best stuff is in FOTR - the prologue, Hobbiton, Lothlorien, the bridge of Khazud Dum, Gandalf's fall, awe inspiring shot of the Argonath, the breaking of the fellowship (which is also the title of Howard Shore's best cue in the entire trilogy). Combined with the fact that it also has most of the character development and character interaction of the movies makes it by far the best film by any metric.

Wow.

You just summed up my thought on Fellowship perfectly. I think it's the best LOTR film even though TTT and ROTK are fantastic.

The breaking of the fellowship couldn’t have been done better.

Hobbit will be awesome.

Retro

JayDubya said:
Like most - i'm sure - I like them all, but I can't see how to disagree with this.

I think I may actually agree with you for once. Fellowship > Return > Towers is definitely the order I'd put them in too.

Fellowship feels the most grounded despite jumping from the Shire to Moria to the Dead Marshes AND explaining who everyone is and what they're doing. All of the charm of Tolkien comes across much clearer in the first, whereas the second is basically a long build up to Helm's Deep (interrupted by trees) and the third kind of drags on.

And I agree with others in this thread; I kind of like the Hobbit a little more than the LotR. I've probably read the Trilogy 2 or 3 times, but I feel like every year or so I grab my wrinkled old paperback and blow through it again. It's shorter, but also a bit lighthearted, which makes it easier to read through than LotR's heavier subject matter.

Wray

Solo said:
All the best stuff is in FOTR - the prologue, Hobbiton, Lothlorien, the bridge of Khazud Dum, Gandalf's fall, awe inspiring shot of the Argonath, the breaking of the fellowship (which is also the title of Howard Shore's best cue in the entire trilogy). Combined with the fact that it also has most of the character development and character interaction of the movies makes it by far the best film by any metric.

FoTR is the best mainly because it stayed closest to the books. Especially when it comes to dialog in important scenes.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Solo said:
You and me, we agree. Everything you've said is spot on. And I must've listened to that Howard Shore song hundreds of times. So good.

hiryu

Wray said:
Fellowship is indeed the best of the three. It goes in order...

FoTR > TTT > RoTK

I love them all nearly equally, but RoTK had too many butchered important book scenes. Eowyn vs Witch King and Gandalf vs Witch King for example. Plus Aragorn vs the Troll at the end was totally not needed.

Agree 100%.

Fellowship is by far the best movie. I'm not sure how anyone could disagree.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
WyndhamPrice said:
The only totally "made up" character that I has been rumored is Saorise Ronan playing an elf named Itaril. I have no idea what her function will be. Something related to the White Council, maybe?
Maybe Legolas' love interest.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Cast looks good. That bloke who's playing Gollum looks wrong for the part though. And Professor X as a wizard? I'm not buying it.

Say what?

Sign me up for this one! THE WAIT IS KILLING ME

Gvaz

Banned
Wray said:
FoTR is the best mainly because it stayed closest to the books. Especially when it comes to dialog in important scenes.
I haven't read the books. I tried reading them but they were just so boring the only one I could stomach was about halfway through The Hobbit.

Reminded me of dune where the only good parts were the sayings at the start of the chapters.

Mashing

I wonder who will do the voice for Smaug (does he speak?) and the part of Tom Bombadil (although he'd be difficult to portray to audiences. Far harder than someone like Galadriel).

Retro

Mashing said:
I wonder who will do the voice for Smaug (does he speak?) and the part of Tom Bombadil (although he'd be difficult to portray to audiences. Far harder than someone like Galadriel).

1. Yes, Smaug speaks. He and Bilbo have a great exchange or two.

2. Unless they're shoehorning him into the film, I don't remember Tom Bombadil making any appearances in the Hobbit. Perhaps you're thinking Beorn (who has already been cast).

Mashing

Retro said:

2. Unless they're shoehorning him into the film, I don't remember Tom Bombadil making any appearances in the Hobbit. Perhaps you're thinking Beorn (who has already been cast).

Shit... I think that's who I was thinking off. It's been a long time since I read the book.

agrajag

Banned
Retro said:

No Tom Bombadil in The Hobbit.

WJD

ROTK = FOTR > TTT

Can't fecking wait for for this. If it's even half the quality the LOTR trilogy are, we're in for a treat.

Wray said:
Fellowship is indeed the best of the three. It goes in order...

FoTR > TTT > RoTK

I love them all nearly equally, but RoTK had too many butchered important book scenes. Eowyn vs Witch King and Gandalf vs Witch King for example. Plus Aragorn vs the Troll at the end was totally not needed.

eowyn v the witch king was almost exactly like in the book, how was it butchered. I skip the Gandalf v WK fight on my EE DVDs and pretend it doesnt exist

Retro

Mashing said:
Shit... I think that's who I was thinking off. It's been a long time since I read the book.

No problem. Your minor error is more than redeemed by your Titus Pullo avatar.
THIRTEEN!

Beorn, in my opinion, is much less whimsical than Bombadil, so he should carry over to film a bit easier. He's basically a big tall dude who lives alone in a huge house surrounded by wildflowers with animal helpers. Which is a little strange, of course, but a bit easier for non-Tolkien fans to swallow than a big bearded guy who does not. stop. singing.

But yeah, Smaug definitely talks (and has some great lines), so do the spiders, and the Goblins have some actual lines in the Misty Mountains. If the rule for Lord of the Rings was "Everybody walks, even the trees", then the theme for The Hobbit is "Everybody talks".

And I will be much alarmed if nary an "Attercop" is heard...

agrajag said:
No Tom Bombadil in The Hobbit.
Yeah, I was 99.9% sure he doesn't appear there... but who knows if Jackson will sneak him into the White Council scenes or something to make up for the fact that he was cut from the LotR movies.

DUFFMCWALIN said:
Woohoo finally!!! This should be great. Now if they somehow figure out how to split up the Silmarillion to make it into a few movies I would die of happiness.

Probably impossible I know :|

That's the obscurest of the obscure, and it's more of a mythology/collection of stories than a narrative around which to base a movie. In a lot of ways, it's like making a biblical film; lots of great stories to adapt, but as a whole a little too unwieldy. I'd love to see it though.

Lonestar said:
I had heard Christopher Lee liked the idea of voicing Smaug. But that was awhile back.

Doable. He's already confirmed as Saruman, so people might pick up on the voice being similar (unless it's heavily modified, which is probably the case). He's there though, and has a great vocal presence, so maybe.

Woohoo finally!!! This should be great. Now if they somehow figure out how to split up the Silmarillion to make it into a few movies I would die of happiness.

Probably impossible I know :|

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I had heard Christopher Lee liked the idea of voicing Smaug. But that was awhile back.

params7 said:
Will the Hobbit have epic wars like Helms Deeps or Battle for Pelannor Fields? I haven't read the books.
It's been a while since I read the book but I remember there is a battle at the end. It think it happens mostly "off screen" though. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

The majority of the novel is about Bilbo adventuring with Dwarfs.

There is a battle/war at the end but biblo is "unconscious" so you only read bits relating to people involved in it other than that it would be a spider battle and goblin/wolf battle, Smaug HAS to speak as he is The Bigboss and has atleast three pages of dialogue from memory, His voice would suit they guy that played saurman (sp)

No Tom Bambilbee is not in The Hobbit.

If you haven't read it, read it. Its an awesome, awesome book.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
JayDubya said:
Like most - i'm sure - I like them all, but I can't see how to disagree with this.

I like them as a trilogy. Pacing them a year apart was perfect. I agree with the order objectively, but it's not just about objectivity. I liked Jedi best out of the Star Wars movies, because I was the exact right age to get the most out of it at the theater (13).

jambo

WJD said:
Funny how one song can make me want to get out of bed and watch the whole trilogy back to back.

But I won't because it's late. I'm tired.

Go on, you know it'll be worth it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
It's been a while since I read the book but I remember there is a battle at the end. It think it happens mostly "off screen" though. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

The majority of the novel is about Bilbo adventuring with Dwarfs.
That's mainly because Bilbo's knocked unconscious during the beginning of the Battle of the Five Armies, I'm absolutely sure that the battle will depicted in the film. I mean who wouldn't want to see Beorn laying havoc to the goblins and warg's.

It'll also be the first time we see a dwarf army involved in a battle, which should be a sight to behold.

Retro

params7 said:
Will the Hobbit have epic wars like Helms Deeps or Battle for Pelannor Fields? I haven't read the books.

Spoilers, I guess?
- Small Battles with Goblins beneath the Misty Mountains. Mostly Gandalf, but Thorin gets in there a bit too.

- Small 'battle' (mostly Gandalf) with Goblins and Wargs in the forests.

- Battle with Spiders; mostly Bilbo.

- Battle with Smaug; very one-sided between Smaug and the Men of Laketown.

- Battle of the Fire Armies: Wargs, Goblins, Dwarves, Elves, Men, Bears, Eagles and Bats. In the book Bilbo is knocked out for it, but I would be willing to bet that we see a lot more of it in the film.

- Battle with the Necromancer: Only mentioned in the book, this would be the White Council (Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast, Elrond, Galadriel and a ton of other heroes) driving the Necromancer (Sauron) from southern Mirkwood. Since they divided up the movie into two parts and have mentioned that they will switch from Bilbo + Company to focus on what Gandalf is doing during his absences in the book, we might see a battle here too.

Of those, the last two are the most likely to be the biggest and the second to last is likely the only one that will approach the epicness of LotR's big battle scenes.

jambo

disappeared said:
Get hype!

Can't wait to see Smaug.

wAlpI.jpg

ALL ABOARD!!!

Edmond Dantès said:
That's mainly because Bilbo's knocked unconscious during the beginning of the Battle of the Five Armies, I'm absolutely sure that the battle will depicted in the film. I mean who wouldn't want to see Beorn laying havoc to the goblins and warg's.

It'll also be the first time we see a dwarf army involved in a battle, which should be a sight to behold.

wasn't he knocked out during the end? he only has to be told what happens during the endgame of the battle IIRC

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Advance_Alarm said:
wasn't he knocked out during the end? he only has to be told what happens during the endgame of the battle IIRC
Yes, I think you're right, but I'll have a look at my copy now to make sure.

Edit: He's knocked just after the eagles arrive, but before the arrival of Beorn.

legend166

So excited for this.

I watched Fellowship and Two Towers a couple of weeks back (planning on watching RotK soon).

I still think Fellowship is the best, but I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed Two Towers. This was the theatrical version, too. Helms Deep is such an awesome battle. And Gandalf is boss throughout the whole movie. I still don't understand the whole 'Aragorn falls off a cliff' thing, because it really just seems pointless. I can understand why they put the warg fight in, though. And I think the changes with Frodo/Sam were probably necessary, because chronologically they spend the entirety of the Two Towers walking around in rocks and marshes.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Solo said:

This for sure! Also FOTR seemed to for me personally get the darkness/creepy factor across the most. The parts surrounding after the party as well as when Gandalf returns through Weathertop especially around them getting to and being in Bree just really got me saying oh shit. Never got that sense of dread in either of the next two movies despite more desperate times.

Overall the movie just in general feels a class ahead of the rest. I'll post my other thoughts on the next two later.

PS: How many of you are excited for 2 movies, and how many of you are worried there are 2 movies verses 1 (+ an EE dvd/blu-ray)?

Brettison said:
PS: How many of you are excited for 2 movies, and how many of you are worried there are 2 movies verses 1 (+ an EE dvd/blu-ray)?

I'm definitely worried about it. The Hobbit can (and I believe should) be told in one movie. I don't see the sense in switching the focus back and forth from Bilbo's journey to what Gandalf is doing with the White Council. It's titled "The Hobbit" for a reason. This is Bilbo's story, not Gandalf's. I just hope PJ knows what he's doing.

FOTR is the best but I'm not gonna say it's the only great film of the tree.

Two Towers is pretty damn good too. And Return of the King has it's moments.

Daft_Cat

Fellowship is great, but no greater than the other two. Pretty consistent franchise. I think each one might have been progressively better actually, if only by small amounts. Most people you meet like one of the sequels more than Fellowship..I'd say Fellowship is probably the least liked amongst the majority.

legend166

Speaking of timelines, I wonder if anyone's made any fan edits to make TTT and ROTK match their book versions? So you watch all the Aragorn and friends stuff, then all the Frodo and Sam stuff. Would be interesting to watch.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Secret_Riddle said:
Fellowship is great, but no greater than the other two. Pretty consistent franchise. I think each one might have been progressively better actually, if only by small amounts. Most people you meet like one of the sequels more than Fellowship..I'd say Fellowship is probably the least liked amongst the majority.

That's because the others are more action oriented with bigger battles and more epic scenes while FOTR had more intimate moments and focus more on character interaction/development. IMO it's obvious what will appeal more to the masses.

On a separate note my rankings change depending upon the theatrical release verse the EE...

Theatrical FOTR>ROTK>TTT
Extended FOTR>TTT>ROTK

I think this is mainly because ROTK already feels the longest for me theatrical wise, and I don't get this big swath of info that I feel is really necessary, cool, or even nice as supplementary material. TTT EE material isn't great by any means, but I think it's more watchable in EE form than ROTK. FOTR EE wise adds the best material, and IMO the most useful.

I think it's interesting to note that there are a lot more displays of magical ability from Gandalf in The Hobbit when compared to the LotR trilogy. I mean the man straight up smites handfuls of Goblins and lights worgs on fire if memory serves.

I suppose Tolkien wasn't thinking about the limitations imposed on Gandalf as a Maia in Middle Earth when he wrote The Hobbit (hell he probably hadn't even thought up the idea of Maiar yet?).

Recon

Banned
I have yet to see any of the Extended Editions..I just cant justify that time investment yet. Ill probably get around to it before The Hobbit comes out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom