• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
ReconYoda said:
Honestly, i feel quite the opposite. It was by far my favorite.

Nothing happens in the film. Two Towers has Eowyn and Helm's Deep. ROTK has more Eowyn and Minas Tirith.

TTT > ROTK > FOTR

Recon

Banned
Puddles said:
Nothing happens in the film. Two Towers has Eowyn and Helm's Deep. ROTK has more Eowyn and Minas Tirith.

TTT > ROTK > FOTR

It sets everything up, and it just feels more..i dont know.."Whimsical"? Something about Fellowship just makes me smile, and something about Two Towers just bores me to fucking death.

ckohler

I am so excited for this. Jackson and the rest of the LOTR crew actually care about these stories. You just know they will do this justice.

Wads

Banned
Peter Jackson did lose a lot of weight before King Kong. He actually looked totally different even then. The amount he has lost since November is kind of scary though as he had actually lost a significant amount of weight back then. I don't know if he put any back on, but I think he looks pretty good. Still not healthy to lose that much weight that quickly, but it makes sense seeing how sick he was.

Just for comparison, here is what he looked like at the King Kong premiere:

YHJtp.jpg

I remember reading a recent Del Toro interview where he talked about wanting to bring a more other-worldly look to the films, creepy forests etc.. his comments made me rock hard. One thing that slightly bugged me about The Two Towers is that occasionally middle earth just looked like New Zealand.. Rohan didnt have rocks and shit everywhere and Fangorn Forest shouldnt have looked so small and lame. i realise i am being one of "those" nerds but whatever.

Recon

Banned
Puddles said:
Jackson's King Kong > Avatar > Inception > original King Kong.

Jackson's King Kong was very average. I still dont have a problem with that ranking,maybe take inception off of that list.

Aaron

LegendofJoe said:
Agreed, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't follow the script from the book. That said the scene basically sets the tone for the entire book, so it's very important. It reveals Bilbo's character and outlook towards life. How will Martin choose to portray this? That's what I'm wondering.
Have you see the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie? Martin can do polite British befuddlement. He's a master at it.

As for the LOTR movies, Two Towers seems the worst to those who read the books because it has the most changes. My biggest problem with TT is the uraks breaking and running away at the end. This is something their race are established to be incapable of, and it's not how things go down in the book. It's better in the book with the 'wtf did the forest go?' 'oh, they've gone to set up an ambush.'

Puddles said:
Jackson's King Kong > Avatar > Inception > original King Kong.
I don't say this about many people, but wow you have terrible taste.

Morn

Banned
Aaron said:
Have you see the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie? Martin can do polite British befuddlement. He's a master at it.

As for the LOTR movies, Two Towers seems the worst to those who read the books because it has the most changes. My biggest problem with TT is the uraks breaking and running away at the end. This is something their race are established to be incapable of, and it's not how things go down in the book. It's better in the book with the 'wtf did the forest go?' 'oh, they've gone to set up an ambush.'
The forest bit is in the extended edition.

maruchan

Funny thing the town my parents live.. some realtor made hobbit homes over 25 years ago... always looked kinda of a cool..

SRX_HOBBIT_HOMES_CHENEY_2_06-26-2008_HEDM87M.jpg

Puddles

Banned
Fellowship is the only film I've ever gone back to the theater to see by myself in the middle of the day. When it was over I couldn't believe what I had just watched. And then the next one was ever better (IMO).

I thought that PJs King Kong gets a bad rap.
I liked understanding the motivations of all the characters and their backstories.

Yes it is long but what else were you going to do with your time?
Most people see a bunch of shit movies just to do something, what's an extra hour of good storytelling?
At least the payoff was good.

I like epics being epics.

Only scene I don't like is the ice skating in central park one. Went on a little too long and got too humany sappy.
Maybe cut down on the dinosaur stuff too.

Puddles

Banned
Buckethead said:
I thought that PJs King Kong gets a bad rap.
I liked understanding the motivations of all the characters and their backstories.

Yes it is long but what else were you going to do with your time?
Most people see a bunch of shit movies just to do something, what's an extra hour of good storytelling?
At least the payoff was good.

I like epics being epics.

Only scene I don't like is the ice skating in central park one. Went on a little too long and got too humany sappy.
Maybe cut down on the dinosaur stuff too.

Some people are just tightasses and have a problem with length.

If I had to make cuts to the film, I'd cut out a lot of the stuff between the first mate and Jimmy. That was pretty pointless. The ice skating and sunset scenes could have been trimmed as well. Aside from that it's a pretty flawless adventure film IMO.

Me and my wife and good friends of ours just spent the last 3 days going through the EE's of LOTR. I couldn't be more ready for The Hobbit. Most anticipated movie by far.

I love how shocked everyone is by PJ's weight. He looked like that during the filming of King Kong where have you people been.

andycapps

Gvaz said:
Lol no. It's a tossup between two towers and return of the king.

This. I don't even think of them as separate films, in some sense. It's one piece of work to me, albeit a ridiculously long piece of work.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Morn said:
The Silmarillian is set thousands of years before The Hobbit. That would make no sense at all.

At one point the second movie was going to be a bridge movie made up material from the LOTR appendices, but that changed. Apparently they compared the one movie Hobbit to the old two-movie version of LOTR they pitched to Miramax.

Ahhh gotcha. No I was thinking there was something they were gonna pull from in the final what 30 pages or whatever of the silmarillian that touches upon the 2nd and 3rd ages. (also I was sleepy :p).

Mixed feelings on this. I wasn't totally sold on going the appendices route for the "bridge" movie, but at the same point I'm not totally sold on splitting the Hobbit into 2 films. Almost rather get 1 longerish movie with a post release EE. My feelins are fluid on this though, and I reserve the right to change my mind! LOLz

Tinabina

Yay! The hobbit was my fav!!! So excited :D

Dunno if it really needs to be split in two but whatev, more hobbits for everyone!!

bengraven

I can't wait. The filler makes me very wary: the added scenes in Two Towers irritated me severely. That said, the trilogy are my favorite films of all time.

That shot of Jackson, despite him looking weak, is pure badassery.

Puddles said:
Fellowship = worst LOTR film.

You sir, are fucking nuts.

Puddles said:
You can switch the first three around as you see fit, but original King Kong is last by any metric.

Oh sorry, never mind. You're not crazy.

You just brought a cave troll...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FotR is my favorite film of the trilogy, by a wide margin. It is a road/adventure movie, and the other two aren't. The films just kinda die a little and feel bloated, when the fellowship breaks up and there are so many threads to follow.

That's why I'm so pumped for The Hobbit. Basically they should be two whole movies of just linear adventure. A two-movie-long epic fantasy "on the road" story. Can not wait.

bengraven

Same. I always like the first film in a series. I like the feeling of discovery and wonder, which was mostly lost in the ensuing story that came crashing down at the end of Fellowship up until the end of Return. All three are great movies, but I like that innocence and exploration of the first one.

Wray

Fellowship is indeed the best of the three. It goes in order...

FoTR > TTT > RoTK

I love them all nearly equally, but RoTK had too many butchered important book scenes. Eowyn vs Witch King and Gandalf vs Witch King for example. Plus Aragorn vs the Troll at the end was totally not needed.

Suairyu

Banned
Is Del Toro still doing the design for Smaug? That was the element that most excited me about his involvement - the guy has brilliant experience with monster design.

bengraven

Am I the only one who thinks:

Fellowship>Return>Two Towers?

TT was an amazing movie and is still my #3 movie of all time, but the added scenes were unnecessary and added nothing much to the story except reaffirm that yes, he was still in love with Arwen.

Aguirre said:
Still annoyed they dropped Tom Bombadil from LOTR trilogy.

Wonder who'll they will drop from these two movies?

Hobbit has very few non-fellowship main characters. Besides they have two 3 hour films to fill. I can see them not cutting anyone: I mean, from what I'm hearing they're ADDING people.

Solo

All the best stuff is in FOTR - the prologue, Hobbiton, Lothlorien, the bridge of Khazud Dum, Gandalf's fall, awe inspiring shot of the Argonath, the breaking of the fellowship (which is also the title of Howard Shore's best cue in the entire trilogy). Combined with the fact that it also has most of the character development and character interaction of the movies makes it by far the best film by any metric.

Recon

Banned
Solo said:
All the best stuff is in FOTR - the prologue, Hobbiton, Lothlorien, the bridge of Khazud Dum, Gandalf's fall, awe inspiring shot of the Argonath, the breaking of the fellowship (which is also the title of Howard Shore's best cue in the entire trilogy). Combined with the fact that it also has most of the character development and character interaction of the movies makes it by far the best film by any metric.

Very well said, exactly my feelings on Fellowship. My favorite scene of the trilogy is the formation of the fellowship.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Agree with everyone who places Fellowship above the others.

As for The Hobbit, I'm really intrigued with the expanded Necromancer sub-plot and how Peter and co are going deal with the White Council's attack on Dol Guldur. There is material in the Unfinished Tales that suggests that Sauron realised an attack was forthcoming and preemptively left before the attack took place. I may be wrong though as it's been a while since I read the Unfinished Tales.

bengraven said:
Am I the only one who thinks:

Fellowship>Return>Two Towers?

TT was an amazing movie and is still my #3 movie of all time, but the added scenes were unnecessary and added nothing much to the story except reaffirm that yes, he was still in love with Arwen.

Hobbit has very few non-fellowship main characters. Besides they have two 3 hour films to fill. I can see them not cutting anyone: I mean, from what I'm hearing they're ADDING people.

The only totally "made up" character that I has been rumored is Saorise Ronan playing an elf named Itaril. I have no idea what her function will be. Something related to the White Council, maybe?

Aguirre said:
Still annoyed they dropped Tom Bombadil from LOTR trilogy.

Wonder who'll they will drop from these two movies?

I love Tom Bombadil but from a pacing point of view he makes no sense to be included in the movie.

I remember seeing Lee at the BAFTAS. He looked very, frail and weak and could barely walk without his stick. I wonder in what capacity he'll be featured

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom