• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonQ

Does anyone want to speculate about how history will remembr Martin Freeman? As I understand it, he's not FAMOUS-famous in the United Kingdom, but at a Naomi Watts or Adrien Brody-level (people would know the name, critically and commercially successful).

History's a great leveler, though, and people just remember the odd, the great, and the successful rather than whomever is placed in front of them at the time.

Martin Freeman now has starring roles in 3 massive, international, presumably lasting hits (The Office, Sherlock, and The Hobbit), lots of cameos and small parts in respected stuff, and a nice catalog of radio and theater work.

Are our kids going to think Martin Freeman was a superstar?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GhaleonQ said:
Does anyone want to speculate about how history will remembr Martin Freeman? As I understand it, he's not FAMOUS-famous in the United Kingdom, but at a Naomi Watts or Adrien Brody-level (people would know the name, critically and commercially successful).

History's a great leveler, though, and people just remember the odd, the great, and the successful rather than whomever is placed in front of them at the time.

Martin Freeman now has starring roles in 3 massive, international, presumably lasting hits (The Office, Sherlock, and The Hobbit), lots of cameos and small parts in respected stuff, and a nice catalog of radio and theater work.

Are our kids going to think Martin Freeman was a superstar?

No.

Teh Hamburglar said:
Andy Serkis is glad to have a paycheck again.

He's been working pretty steadily in various theater, television, and film projects but it's all been pretty UK based. He was even nominated for a BAFTA and an Emmy last year. With Tintin this year and the Hobbit next year he's been doing just fine.

I do wonder if he could go all the way with a Supporting Actor nom for Gollum in 2012 now that performance capture is becoming far more understood than it was 10 years ago when people thought he could break that barrier. I personally don't think it will happen (Gollum is only a small part of the story compared to LOTR) but it will be interesting to see that conversation start up again.

Lion Heart said:
I wish they made this film before LOTR, I hate prequels.

The story of the Hobbit, apart from the incident with Gollum, is so far removed from LOTR it really doesn't matter in what order they come out.

Zoibie

Can't wait! I only watched LOTR a couple of weeks ago but something tells me I'll be watching it again numerous times before this.

WyndhamPrice said:
The story of the Hobbit, apart from the incident with Gollum, is so far removed from LOTR it really doesn't matter in what order they come out.

I see. I just assumed it was but I never made it past the second chapter in The Hobbit.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Napoleonthechimp said:
Kevin Smith has lost 65lbs of weight since November the 1st (according to his latest podcast).

Southwest first-come seating is a helluva drug.

Aaron

WyndhamPrice said:
It's true for the book, but I have a feeling the movie will have stronger ties, especially expanding the part with the necromancer. But Jackson and Co. are clever enough to craft the movies for people who have only seen the previous movies. I don't think this will be a problem in the slightest.

Jackson is a pretty good looking dude without all that extra weight. Glad to see he's kept it off.

I'm interested in this, but I can never be truly excited for Hobbit knowing that it was going to be del Toro.

hobbiton.jpg

Why yes Bilbo I would love to join you for tea!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Man this thread got a bit de-railed :lol

I'm super excited for this. Glad to hear its finally happening.

Morn

Banned
Scrow said:
are they still making this into two movies?

i think that's a mistake.
The Hobbit: There and Back Again

and

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Those are the trademarks Warner/New Line registered for the titles.

Aaron

LegendofJoe said:
lol, good point

I wonder how the movie will portray the introduction of Bilbo to Thorin and company?
I don't see why it couldn't be the same as the book. It's a pretty quick scene with Bilbo rushing around in confusion as more and more dwarves show up at his door.

Aaron said:
I don't see why it couldn't be the same as the book. It's a pretty quick scene with Bilbo rushing around in confusion as more and more dwarves show up at his door.

Agreed, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't follow the script from the book. That said the scene basically sets the tone for the entire book, so it's very important. It reveals Bilbo's character and outlook towards life. How will Martin choose to portray this? That's what I'm wondering.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Aaron said:
It's true for the book, but I have a feeling the movie will have stronger ties, especially expanding the part with the necromancer. But Jackson and Co. are clever enough to craft the movies for people who have only seen the previous movies. I don't think this will be a problem in the slightest.

I have this feeling as well.

On a side note I think I'm finally willing to come out and say I just enjoy The Hobbit more than the rest of Tolkien's work. Seems less weighty, doesn't have near the amount of paragraphs intricately describing things, and just seems to flow better for me.

As hyped as I was for LOTRO I might end up liking this better in the end. Interestingly to I've been getting back into the world as I sort of had a few years there where I had watched, played, had shit in my room etc.. that I got drowned in Tolkien's universe and didn't want anything to do with it anymore.

Just these past few weeks though on my own my desire to creep back in has come. I sort of had a feeling of wanting to watch TTT EE, and I started playing LOTRO (F2P) yesterday as well. Think my time off did me a ton of good to rejuvenate my love for the franchise.

As for the OP something just didn't totally sit with me in the 1st pic. It looks FANTASTIC, but initially the character in the pic didn't match up with what I had in my head.

Snake

Brettison said:
On a side note I think I'm finally willing to come out and say I just enjoy The Hobbit more than the rest of Tolkien's work. Seems less weighty, doesn't have near the amount of paragraphs intricately describing things, and just seems to flow better for me.
You are not alone.

temp

posting on contract only
Brettison said:
As for the OP something just didn't totally sit with me in the 1st pic. It looks FANTASTIC, but initially the character in the pic didn't match up with what I had in my head.
You bein' serious?

teiresias

I haven't read the novel in many, many years, but is the extra material they're adding in as the new material actually in the novel or is it all in LOTR appendices? If so, what are the relevant sections? Though having read LOTR itself many times, I admit to never once reading through the appendices of the thing (and I've never been able to get through The Silmarillion, unfortunately).

Morn

Banned
teiresias said:
I haven't read the novel in many, many years, but is the extra material they're adding in as the new material actually in the novel or is it all in LOTR appendices? If so, what are the relevant sections? Though having read LOTR itself many times, I admit to never once reading through the appendices of the thing (and I've never been able to get through The Silmarillion, unfortunately).

The Appendix idea was tossed out a long time ago. The two movies are just The Hobbit. The stuff they're adding is extending stuff from the book like having Bilbo actually take part in the big battle at the end instead of just being knocked out.

The only big thing they're adding that's not in the book are the bookend scenes with Frodo reading Bilbo's book sometime in the four years between Mount Doom and the Grey Havens.

Robot 492

Banned
Puddles said:
Fellowship = worst LOTR film.
I just watched the trilogy this past weekend, and I'd have to disagree. Fellowship is probably my favorite, followed closely by Return of the King; Two Towers is the worst of the three.

They're all great, though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Morn said:
The Appendix idea was tossed out a long time ago. The two movies are just The Hobbit. The stuff they're adding is extending stuff from the book like having Bilbo actually take part in the big battle at the end instead of just being knocked out.

The only big thing they're adding that's not in the book are the bookend scenes with Frodo reading Bilbo's book sometime in the four years between Mount Doom and the Grey Havens.

Interesting. For some reason I thought they were still gonna draw on some more bridge stuff like say from The Sillmarilion.

Forkball

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Peter Jackson needs to eat something. If he keeps getting skinnier he can play Gollum.

This is one of the few big blockbusters I'm looking forward to. I'm sure everyone involved will knock it out of the park.

GhaleonQ

Monocle said:
My todger is currently buried in the coals of the hype train's furnace. Choo choo motherfuckers!

I laughed, but I'll be honest: I did not need those metaphors mixed!

Recon

Banned
nskinnear said:
I just watched the trilogy this past weekend, and I'd have to disagree. Fellowship is probably my favorite, followed closely by Return of the King; Two Towers is the worst of the three.

They're all great, though.

This would be my ranking also. Yet, Two Towers was my favorite book...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nice to see Magneto and Elijah Wood reprise their roles. Good "continuity," there. *thumbs up*

Since that was announced, I'm pretty hyped. I didn't really care much for the Hobbit, but it was a good entertaining read otherwise.

Morn

Banned
Brettison said:
Interesting. For some reason I thought they were still gonna draw on some more bridge stuff like say from The Sillmarilion.
The Silmarillian is set thousands of years before The Hobbit. That would make no sense at all.

At one point the second movie was going to be a bridge movie made up material from the LOTR appendices, but that changed. Apparently they compared the one movie Hobbit to the old two-movie version of LOTR they pitched to Miramax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom