• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit trilogy - News, rumours and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onikaan

Can we openly speculate the story and talk about the relation to the book? or would people prefer that was spoiler tagged.

TCRS

Banned
I hope they dial back on the forced humour, the slapstick parts. They were just terrible and ruined the first Hobbit movie for me. I don't feel anywhere near as attached to The Hobbit as I was to Lord of the Rings.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I hope they dial back on the forced humour, the slapstick parts. They were just terrible and ruined the first Hobbit movie for me. I don't feel anywhere near as attached to The Hobbit as I was to Lord of the Rings.
The tone of the films will be getting darker. The whimsy fairy tale feel will take a back seat to a more a gritty high stakes feel.

Edmond Dantès;56898282 said:
The tone of the films will be getting darker. The whimsy fairy tale feel will take a back seat to a more a gritty high stakes feel.

Really hope we get a trailer in the next couple of weeks and maybe a development vlog

Loxley

By the way, Freeman said a while back that the cast would return to New Zealand in May, which means that the extra two months of filming has already begun or is very close to starting.

Really hope we get a trailer in the next couple of weeks and maybe a development vlog

The assumption thus far has been that the new trailer will be attached to Man of Steel, and if that's the case it would likely be online up to a week beforehand. So we're looking at about probably 5 or so weeks until the trailer hits.

Hopefully PJ will release a new blog by then :)

By the way, Freeman said a while back that the cast would return to New Zealand in May, which means that the extra two months of filming has already begun or is very close to starting.

I KNOW! Omg, I keep thinking about them all going back to NZ and filming RIGHT NOW! If only I could drop everything and just fly down there... And watching the vlogs is so difficult if only for the reason that it just makes me want to be part of something so amazing. Also, in New Zealand. I can totally believe that the lot of them just run on pure adrenaline for the entire production.

Onikaan

Yesss, I can't wait to see more dwarf history either :)

TBA3_zpsbf7325e6.gif

Can hardly wait until December.

Sibylus

Banned
More Dwarven history please!

The flashback to the Battle of Azanulbizar was my favourite part of the film.
Yes, please. I was looking forward to a certain scene in the first movie
involving the east gate of Moria and what looked like the ambient flame of a Balrog
, but it's been bumped to 2 or 3 (or been cut altogether, but that would be a great shame).

Onikaan

Yes, please. I was looking forward to a certain scene in the first movie
involving the east gate of Moria and what looked like the ambient flame of a Balrog
, but it's been bumped to 2 or 3 (or been cut altogether, but that would be a great shame).

Oh my, where did you see this?

I'm hoping there will be very little material cut from the films now that they are doing a trilogy.

Sibylus

Banned
Oh my, where did you see this?

I'm hoping there will be very little material cut from the films now that they are doing a trilogy.
If memory serves, it was one of the production threads before AUJ released. Anybody have those tasty images I'm talking about?

Onikaan

the designs they had in these flashbacks were beautiful. i bet so many warcraft fans got a boner

I smiled through the entire sequence. Very well done. Also looking forward to seeing Billy play Dain Ironfoot.

I think my Scottishness brings out the Dwarf in me.

Still sucks having to wait until winter to see Smaug.

It'll be so, so awesome. I can't imagine how much work they have to do to keep us in the dark about it... and honestly, I would be pretty upset if I was spoiled at this point. Don't worry, Smaug is going to be phenomenal. Well worth the wait, many times over :)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It'll be so, so awesome. I can't imagine how much work they have to do to keep us in the dark about it... and honestly, I would be pretty upset if I was spoiled at this point. Don't worry, Smaug is going to be phenomenal. Well worth the wait, many times over :)
Seeing Smaug in all his magnificence will mirror the buzz surrounding Gollum's reveal in The Two Towers.

There aren't many characters who can invoke the same kind of excitement amongst Tolkien fans, maybe Beren and Luthien, some of the Valar, Feanor and Tom.

Onikaan

Edmond Dantès;56920960 said:
Seeing Smaug in all his magnificence will mirror the buzz surrounding Gollum's reveal in The Two Towers.

There aren't many characters who can invoke the same kind of excitement amongst Tolkien fans, maybe Beren and Luthien, some of the Valar, Feanor and Tom.

If there's one character I've been anticipating the arrival of it's Beorn.

Especially his appearance as a Giant Bear
. Can't wait to see what Peter does with that.

If memory serves, it was one of the production threads before AUJ released. Anybody have those tasty images I'm talking about?

I'll watch through them again and see if I can spot it. Thanks!

Have they talked about releasing a HFR version on Blu Ray or Digital? I didn't like it...at all..but I want to give it another chance.

That would be hella sweet, but yeah, no talk of HFR blu-ray or anything. Sigh... I'm not even sure if they could release just a HFR edition without it being in 3D anyway, so you'd still have to have a fancy 3D television even if they had released it :(

I have been telling my friends it's the Year of the Cumberbatch, what with him playing three huge, iconic characters all over the fictional map. Though I generally try to avoid the "cross-fandom" stuff that's cropped up over the last few years. But really, how many genres can one dude dominate in the span of a year?

Ok, I think I now know why I find it so hard to watch production videos and footage of the premieres and shit... it's because there's no way I can feel OK about not being there. It goes beyond envy, it's more like a deep-seeded need to be there to contribute and/or experience all that positive energy for something I feel so passionate about. I swear I'll make it, even if it takes me forever. Adrenaline is pretty potent stuff, hehhhh

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Ok, I think I now know why I find it so hard to watch production videos and footage of the premieres and shit... it's because there's no way I can feel OK about not being there. It goes beyond envy, it's more like a deep-seeded need to be there to contribute and/or experience all that positive energy for something I feel so passionate about. I swear I'll make it, even if it takes me forever. Adrenaline is pretty potent stuff, hehhhh
They come across as one big, happy family. Such camaraderie is exhibited.

We can live vicariously through them via the behind the scenes content which is certainly one of the reasons why the making of stuff from The Lord of the Rings is so very popular amongst fans.

And hey, you never know, you might find yourself in New Zealand some time in the future while The Silmariilion is being filmed.

Edmond Dantès;56920960 said:

Didn't think of it that way. We've also got the glimpse of the character in the first film of the trilogy, mainly of the eye!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Hobbit book selling well in the US

http://www.locusmag.com/Magazine/2013/03/locus-bestsellers-march/

It's great to see the third (or fourth depending on what list you refer to) best selling book of all time doing so well. But there are long ways to go yet before it can reclaim its crown from The Lord of the Rings as the best-selling Tolkien novel.

What’s in a Name: Translating Proper Nouns in The Hobbit

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/201...-name-translating-proper-nouns-in-the-hobbit/

I like the sound of bierbo bajinsi.

Oooh, I dunno if I would want them to attempt the Silmarillion given all of the reservations I've seen from TolkienGAF. But, if anyone were to give it a shot, it should be PJ & Co. I wonder if they be willing to produce a series like Game of Thrones, like I've seen suggested off and on... that would be faaaantastic.

Edmond Dantès;56951124 said:
The Hobbit book selling well in the US

http://www.locusmag.com/Magazine/2013/03/locus-bestsellers-march/

It's great to see the third (or fourth depending on what list you refer to) best selling book of all time doing so well. But there are long ways to go yet before it can reclaim its crown from The Lord of the Rings as the best-selling Tolkien novel.

Yeah well, I bet it helps that some people can't help but pick up another copy whenever they see an edition they like... /cough

Edmond Dantès;56951124 said:
What’s in a Name: Translating Proper Nouns in The Hobbit

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/201...-name-translating-proper-nouns-in-the-hobbit/

I like the sound of bierbo bajinsi.

HEHE! Guille Estrujónez!! Bear-hug troll, cute. Then what would Beorn be? :p

Ogni-XR21

Another reason I have to see DOS in English (not the dubbed German version) is because I really want to hear Cumberbatch as the voice of Smaug.

I'm really psyched about Cumberbatch at the moment, gonna see Into Darkness in the theatre because of him.

SUPREME1

Banned
Finally watched The Hobbit last night on Blu-ray. Never read the book and only knew a couple of details that I picked up here on GAF... so I was more than open to it.

I really liked it. First 30 mins was a bit slow, but once they set out on their quest, I really enjoyed myself.

Can't wait for the next chapter.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Speaking of Benedict, I wonder how much he'll differ his voice for Smaug's dialogue in comparison to his narration in the BBC's South Pacific documentary for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJkwRcgTa7c

It's well worth watching the whole series, not just for Benedict's narration, but the fact that it's a brilliant series. One of the Natural History Unit's finest series and that includes the flagship series.

More South Pacific goodness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-hmHuRKYP8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eY9pXHWYyM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD6cQ2dh7Mo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3a88_SjJR0

This clip is particularly apt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21bZx0vBI9s

Alrus

I'm still excited for Desolation of Smaug despite being slightly disappointed by the first movie. It'll still be an enjoyable ride anyway (But I have a feeling I'll have to go alone this time, my friends didn't enjoy the first one that much and my brother outright hated it :/ )

Finally watched The Hobbit last night on Blu-ray. Never read the book and only knew a couple of details that I picked up here on GAF... so I was more than open to it.I really liked it. First 30 mins was a bit slow, but once they set out on their quest, I really enjoyed myself.

Can't wait for the next chapter.

Same. I really enjoyed the movie. Can't wait for the next.

I know GAF hates 3D, but the movie looks amazing on my 3D TV and sounds amazing in 7.1 on my system too.

Loxley

Cumberbatch needs to start doing audiobooks this instant. The man's voice was made for narration.

I'd love to hear him read some bits from The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, heck maybe some Edgar Allen Poe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom