• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit trilogy - News, rumours and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

haikira

I think this one will be the Attack of the Clones of LOTR flicks.

ico2p97c8jx1piqzuhsuwuyo.gif

Just dropping in to posit that the Lego Bags End set is probably the best toy in the history of mankind and I'm probably going to buy 2 more. Wish i was more stoked on Orthanc. But ent, right.

Oh god, YES. YES! My best friend got it for her birthday and she flipped out. I'd known she was going to get it for FIVE MONTHS and I HAD TO WAIT. What torture! She was so, so stoked. We even got a time-lapse of her putting it together :) She also got a Barrel Escape, and I already had an Escape from Mirkwood Spiders (obviously), so we've got a fair amount of Lego Hobbit-y goodness in the house at the moment. So goddamn awesome <3 I need to get me a Bag End as well, for sure.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Would anyone else love a desk sized bonsai tree with a hobbit hole in the background? I was thinking today how awesome it would be to have this thing I can treat and preen while it sits proudly on my desk, possibly with a few lego figures of Bilbo et al.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Pretty sweet depiction of the conflict at Dol Guldur. Although, I doubt Saruman will be this active considering Christopher Lee's health and limited filming time.

300px-Angus_McBride_-_Dol_Guldur.jpg

Being a former MERP player I'm rather fond of Angus McBride's art, even though it never comes up in Tolkien artist comparisons. His art for the Minas Tirith gates, the Tomb of Balin battle and Gundabad is pretty cool too.

Ixion

Edmond Dantès;57039028 said:
Pretty sweet depiction of the conflict at Dol Guldur. Although, I doubt Saruman will be this active considering Christopher Lee's health and limited filming time.

300px-Angus_McBride_-_Dol_Guldur.jpg

I wonder if he'll be there at all.

Judging by how the White Council meeting went in AUJ, PJ will probably make it so Saruman actually tries to dissuade the others from going, but they go anyway.

Onikaan

Edmond Dantès;56981686 said:
Filming has restarted (
Battle of the Five Armies
and other stuff) so new production diaries should follow soon.

Are they filming pick ups? or are they actually filming for the 3rd movie that was added later?

Edmond Dantès;57070182 said:
The Battle of the Five Armies and Thorin's death scene are yet to be filmed.

So, yes indeed, There are some very key moments that will be filmed in the next few weeks.

Woah, wait a minute. They didn't have any of those finished already? Where was the second movie going to conclude if they still have a lot of the ending to film? Or, I guess, when was it in filming that they decide to add a third film?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Woah, wait a minute. They didn't have any of those finished already? Where was the second movie going to conclude if they still have a lot of the ending to film? Or, I guess, when was it in filming that they decide to add a third film?
The trilogy decision was made in June of last year. There was always going to be an extra filming block during this time period though, even for the two film Hobbit.

Now it's just more significant.

Edmond Dantès;57097882 said:
The trilogy decision was made in June of last year. There was always going to be an extra filming block during this time period though, even for the two film Hobbit.

Now it's just more significant.

Ooooh, I see. Hmm, I guess I'm not entirely privy to why they would split up filming with huge gaps in between, as opposed to the regular breaks I've heard about. It seems like it would be super stressful flying around the world so often, especially with all the conventions and press affairs that a fair amount of the cast has been appearing at since December. It's not because of the conventions & such... is it? That would be an insane amount of press!

Sigh, and a casting call to boot... I told my Kiwi she better give it a shot. If I can't be there, she must try! MUST! 'Cause if there is one thing that would make the movies even more awesome, it would be knowing someone in them <3

Ainaurdur

Sigh, and a casting call to boot... I told my Kiwi she better give it a shot. If I can't be there, she must try! MUST! 'Cause if there is one thing that would make the movies even more awesome, it would be knowing someone in them <3

Sounds like a group of us need to just move to NZ together and make it happen!

At one point maybe 8 years ago, I had told myself if they ever got around to making The Hobbit, I would try to be a part of it. Well the chance has pretty much come and gone. I sat here in the US and did nothing about it. Not that there was much I could have done...

Sounds like a group of us need to just move to NZ together and make it happen!

At one point maybe 8 years ago, I had told myself if they ever got around to making The Hobbit, I would try to be a part of it. Well the chance has pretty much come and gone. I sat here in the US and did nothing about it. Not that there was much I could have done...

I love the LotR trilogy to death. And even though it's been such a huge part of my life, I'd never thought about visiting NZ too seriously. It was definitely the catalyst, but the impact wasn't as hard as the Hobbit has had on me. The Hobbit was the huge realization, so yeah I'm going. I'm getting there if it kills me! Making a savings account, labeling it "The Trip" and putting whatever I can into it until it's enough. I'm down for some rough years of working overtime and being exhausted if there's a glorious life-affirming trip to look forward to. Fuck yes.

Reyne

Edmond Dantès;57137526 said:
The inevitable Fellowship prologue with Martin Freeman replacing Ian Holm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rts8qok4Ns&feature=youtu.be

Quite well done I would say, fits in quite naturally. If The Lords of the Rings is remastered after The Hobbit trilogy ends, this may well become a reality.

Scene still suffers from Gollum screaming for his precious although at that point he had not realized he'd lost it. Besides, I hope they leave the LoTR be. I personally enjoy when the movies are a product of their times and not remastered a hundred times like SW.

Oh man, Bilbo is so TEENY next to Smaug!! Ehehehe! I wonder how close he'll get to the dragon and if we'll get to see a similar kind of shot as that edit. That would be so friggin' cool!

That's a great comparison shot of Bilbo and Smaug. I like the large scale of it.

Still, if Smaug eversomuch as utters the word 'bored' in any shape or fashion, I will probably laugh like an idiot in the theater.

I should probably watch The Hobbit again (need to buy the bd, but I want the extended version) before my friends and I see Desolation of Smaug.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Smaug looks very blue in some shots, red in other shots in the prologue. I wonder if they used Guillermo's iridescent dragon scales design.

Bilbo is his old age is quite bitter and anti social based on LOTR movies. Is this a combination of the Ring and Dragon Sickness effects? is that referenced in the books at all?

Edmond Dantès;57167584 said:
Smaug looks very blue in some shots, red in other shots in the prologue. I wonder if they used Guillermo's iridescent dragon scales design.

I thought this too at the end when we see his eye.
Would be epic and a great look, I think.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Bilbo is his old age is quite bitter and anti social based on LOTR movies. Is this a combination of the Ring and Dragon Sickness effects? is that referenced in the books at all?
Mainly the effect of the One, rather than any lingering dragon sickness.

But neither Bilbo nor Frodo were very social in general, the One just amplified what was a character trait.

Holy crap, I didn't even make that connection until you said something. Hahaha oh man, I'm awful :( Spider babies though... so which did we see at Radagast's hut? Big or erm, 'little' big?

Jesus H, that nearly gave me a heart attack! So cool. I wonder how close it is to his final design, since they've allowed it to be shared. The snout is kind of hard-looking... probably harder to articulate if he talks. O M G. How are they going to do that?! And I know that it won't even be close, but I always kind of liked the fuzzyness of the Rankin/Bass version (though I would probably get set on fire and eaten for calling him 'cute').

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Jesus H, that nearly gave me a heart attack! So cool. I wonder how close it is to his final design, since they've allowed it to be shared. The snout is kind of hard-looking... probably harder to articulate if he talks. O M G. How are they going to do that?! And I know that it won't even be close, but I always kind of liked the fuzzyness of the Rankin/Bass version (though I would probably get set on fire and eaten for calling him 'cute').
It would be interesting if they modelled some of Smaug's facial features on Benedict's unique face along with his mannerisms via mocap.

Edmond Dantès;57337378 said:
It would be interesting if they modelled some of Smaug's facial features on Benedict's unique face along with his mannerisms via mocap.

I wonder how they would translate from such a pronounced vertical face (Sorry, Benedict) to an extremely horizontal one.

WillyFive

Edmond Dantès;57137526 said:
The inevitable Fellowship prologue with Martin Freeman replacing Ian Holm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rts8qok4Ns&feature=youtu.be

Quite well done I would say, fits in quite naturally. If The Lords of the Rings is remastered after The Hobbit trilogy ends, this may well become a reality.

Would be nice to see that in a LOTR re-release. It's like the Star Wars Special Editions, but logical instead of annoying.

The gif alone shows off the reds/blues and other colors reflecting off the gold beautifully.

If they go with iridescent scales, I wonder if it'll lean more towards red or perhaps blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom