• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Humble Monthly Bundle

Jimrpg

There's a number of things wrong with this bundle.

1. Buying a subscription where the games are not revealed is a worse option than the regular humble bundles. If you only could choose between getting one humble bundle a month or the humble monthly, it'd make more sense to get the humble bundle. It'd make sense to reveal the games a couple of days before they get released in the monthly bundle to drive more sales.

2. The price is really high for buying blind. Especially as this is humble bundle, and people are trying to be dirt cheap.

3. The first lot of games aren't a very good selection. They've obviously tried to cover a variety of genres, but it doesn't make for very good value for most people. It just makes it look more expensive if you find only one or two games you enjoy.

4. If you just wanted one or two games you could easily wait for a sale to get them with change to spare.

5. Definitely needed a big game like Rocket League or Shovel Knight to get people excited.

ghibli99

5. Definitely needed a big game like Rocket League or Shovel Knight to get people excited.
Would this be exciting?

RL was free on PS+ already and everyone I know is over it, and I've triple-dipped on SK. I know I don't represent everyone, but I don't know if I agree that this would have been better than the more well-known games in this bundle, namely VC and SR4 (which I also had already).

Anyway, tough spot to be in. I get more hyped with the occasional Bundle Stars $1.99-4.99 collections than I do with HB, so who knows... maybe it's an experiment to stay relevant in an increasingly competitive sector.

zulux21

Would this be exciting?

RL was free on PS+ already and everyone I know is over it, and I've triple-dipped on SK. I know I don't represent everyone, but I don't know if I agree that this would have been better than the more well-known games in this bundle, namely VC and SR4 (which I also had already).

Anyway, tough spot to be in. I get more hyped with the occasional Bundle Stars $1.99-4.99 collections than I do with HB, so who knows... maybe it's an experiment to stay relevant in an increasingly competitive sector.

SK would have been better than vanilla SR4. Saints row might be known but at this point it's so old and been discounted so many times that anyone who remotely had interest in it would have bought it.

hands down it should have been at least the complete dlc version as there is a far better chance people would have value from that since I know I personally only bought the season pass for extra content and not any of the other stuff.

Either way. I'll stick around for one more month, but quite frankly I am not even sure what they could offer from the bundle to entice people to sign up new from next month. The game with the most value was grimmock and that was offered for this one lol.

I can't think of a single person who would buy the bundle for saints row 4, so maybe they will use valkyria chronicles but it's really sad when a very late port of a ps3 game (no matter how great of a game it is) is your headliner to get people to sign up for something.

KingV

I already had all of the games in this bundle, so I cancelled my sub... it's just not worth it if you buy a lot of games already. I had a feeling that I might have all the games, but I wanted to sub to the first one because I was expecting them to kick it off with a bang, and include something really cool. They didn't do that though, it was like just a regular bundle. It seems like it's going to have a small audience really. If you were only just starting a Steam game library then it'd probably be worth it, but if you were new to bundles and Steam games in general then you probably wouldn't be aware about Humble Bundles anyway!

Well the trick is the people that are going to subscribe already really like games, so they are likely to own buzzed about, popular, or previously super cheap games. To make this work, they really need to get brand new games or games that haven't seen any discounts yet.

Edit: option 2 is to have a lot more games than a regular bundle.

XBP

Extremely disappointed in the bundle. Already own SR4, LL and VC and not interested at all in besiege, TA and sanctuary RPG. The only interesting game in the bundle was legend of grimrock 2.

zulux21

Well the trick is the people that are going to subscribe already really like games, so they are likely to own buzzed about, popular, or previously super cheap games. To make this work, they really need to get brand new games or games that haven't seen any discounts yet.

Edit: option 2 is to have a lot more games than a regular bundle.

having it be basically two bundles in one (so lets go with humble jumbo 5 which is currently running plus maybe the last weekly bundle which had some interesting games would have made a good monthly bundle for $12.

instead we are looking at the humble jumbo bundle which has 11 games (two with multiple copies) for $9 where you didn't have to blind buy and arguably the quality of titles are about as good overall.

I mean
D6JwAyl.jpg
is not a bad bundle and it comes with soundtracks as well.

the monthly bundle feels very bare bones which is just sad for the first one.

Tesseract

Banned
yeah i don't get it, this thing feels like a total flub

it could have been huge for them if one big fat shiner like axiom verge was part of the mix

Jimrpg

Would this be exciting?

SR4 and VC are kind of old despite them being 'retail' games. Its like this month when they gave out Mass Effect 2 on PS3 PS+.... That's not to say i don't like older games, just that I think newer games tend to work better in a blind bundle, especially when people could have bought them already.

having it be basically two bundles in one (so lets go with humble jumbo 5 which is currently running plus maybe the last weekly bundle which had some interesting games would have made a good monthly bundle for $12.

instead we are looking at the humble jumbo bundle which has 11 games (two with multiple copies) for $9 where you didn't have to blind buy and arguably the quality of titles are about as good overall.

I mean

Yeah I thought that was a pretty good bundle. Insurgency and Spintires is worth $5 each and the rest could be considered cool freebies.

Joejoe123

Neo Member
I figured we'd see at least one big marquee game that hasn't been heavily discounted yet included in the first bundle. Something like arma 3, pillars of eternity or divinity original sin. But maybe they just wanted to keep the first bundle representative of what they are truly able to offer up each month. In any case, it's a solid offering of games, but not up to the level that I'm personally willing to subscribe.

Aselith

I mean

I would argue considerably better. Not gonna be subscribing to this shit anymore

ghibli99

SR4 and VC are kind of old despite them being 'retail' games. Its like this month when they gave out Mass Effect 2 on PS3 PS+.... That's not to say i don't like older games, just that I think newer games tend to work better in a blind bundle, especially when people could have bought them already.
Yeah, I'll agree with that. If they can somehow get a brand-new release in there with a nicely curated collection of older and unknowns, that could really make this a lot better. I think the more I think about it, the less likely I'm going to stick around for month two. If I eat crow, that's OK... I don't have time to play these games anyway! LOL

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

The blind buy is honestly the biggest issue. The whole mystery box angle is just hurting this more than anything. They need to lay the games they plan to give out on the line thereby boosting/removing subscribers. But I guess they're worried they'll lose more subs than gain if they went that route.

zulux21

The blind buy is honestly the biggest issue. The whole mystery box angle is just hurting this more than anything. They need to lay the games they plan to give out on the line thereby boosting/removing subscribers. But I guess they're worried they'll lose more subs than gain if they went that route.

Really I don't have an issue with the blind buy. I have fun with it especially if they trickle hints.

When indie Royal was first going they allowed blind buys and I bought nearly every single one. They gave out hints before hand such as "this bundle will be a simulation bundle" that gave me just enough tease to know if I would get it or not. I think I got something like 90% of the bundles they allowed a blind preorder to (so like 15 bundles or something like that) after they dropped it they released like 100 more bundles before going out of business and I only bought like 7 of them. if they had left it blind preorder it likely would have been closer to 30-40 lol.

The major issue here is that they are asking for $12 blind, and then delivering a bundle that could easily be one of their normal bundles that would have cost less and you would have known what you would get.

$12 for these games, is a good deal, and I didn't own most of them (despite buying a ton of games), most weren't my cup of tea, but I will likely be able to get most of the $12 back in the buy sell thread as they are still good games and cheaper than they have been by themselves. The humble bundle how ever tends to have great to jaw dropping deals on their major bundles, so just a good deal when it comes to something blind is so meh. At the very least they should have fully avoided stuff they previously bundled. Beyond that games that had DLC should have had it included. Towerfall with the expansion would have actually been interesting, just the base game... well I already have that on ps4 thanks to ps+ (same deal with saints row with including dlc), they just feel like coupons off the full game at this point and in saints row case just a complete throw away if you want the full game as the dlc costs more than the complete version lol.

A lot of people were expecting something on the level of the Capcom bundle from this, and given humble's past history I don't feel those expectations were out of line. For the case of drawing people in this bundle should have knocked it out of the park. I mean amazing first bundle, some lackluster bundles for the next few months and once numbers start to drop another amazing bundle to get people to resub again ect is common for these things. Instead we got what is a fine bundle for $12, but not impressive and fears that the quality could drop much lower.

I mean it would have been super cool if they could have gotten something like Mushihimesama after explaining that it would be a blind buy and that people wouldn't be able to get it from the bundle after it released so it wouldn't take away from people buying their game but work for promotion they maybe would have done it. Though fears of full priced sales would be a very real thing. They likely wouldn't have gone for it.

another good candidate would have been Undertale. hype for that is quite real right now and it's been out long enough that being included in a blind bundle like this shouldn't outrage their fans much.

but I suppose I should get off what could have been. Humble in the past has blown me away with bundles, and I hope they see all this feedback and alter their plans a bit or at least acknowledge that this bundle wasn't as impressive as they hoped or something. (though they likely won't say the bundle is anything but amazing) I can't blame people for running away though, if I had games I actually cared about coming out in the next few months I would likely pull out from this bundle myself, but the ride is worth a few bucks for me lol.

autoduelist

SanctuaryRPG is one of the best games I've played in ages, though it's definitely niche. It's essentially a combat based roguelike - but instead of traditional dungeon crawling it's more... combat focused? Hard to explain, but it's got an extremely deep turn based combat system, perhaps the best I've ever seen. Each choice affects/combos into future choices... it's just very nicely done. As you level up more and more options/skills/etc become accessible and it all creates a very engaging combat system where you're actually making choices that affect your stance/etc and your options for the next turn, and not just hitting 'attack/attack/attack' -- your potential actions are all based on what you and your enemy did last turn.

Rather than explore dungeons in the traditional way, it's more like you are hopping from important battle to important battle, with beautiful ascii art illuminating your way.

Anyone into roguelikes or tactical combat should -definitely- give it a try. As with any game in the genre, it takes time to learn the systems, but i promise it's worth it.

That said, i already own it and am glad I didn't get this bundle, even if some of the games are great.

But... wouldn't that just be a standard $12 bundle then, like, say, other sites do? If they're just going to do that, why not just put it up as a standard pay what you want bundle? Fixing the price at $12 would actually be a step backwards for us.

I don't get the hate. It's a good selection of games. It just sucks if you own a few of them already, which is the reason why I won't be paying for something like this.

Werd

The blind buy bundles I am most familiar with were giving you a discounted price on buying a bundle before it became public and could be purchased at a higher price.
This is the reverse. Pay extra over a normal HB BTA price to buy it blind, and you don't even get the option to pay more after reveal. Definitely underwhelmed, thought at least the first couple would be above average HB quality.

I'm weak to bundles though and am still considering round two, but I'll at least wait and see some hints this time.

Got a copy of Contagion, thanks a lot. The fourth code was actually Euro Truck Simulator (couldn't redeem it since I already have it).

Yep you are right. Damn copy and paste. I blame my lack of coffee.

Got Abyss Odyssey. Thanks!

I activated a Congation key and got Abyss Odyssey instead.

Hmm that is weird, I just checked and the keys are correct so either the humble page is lying to me or something else is wrong.
What game did you get then bkw?

Anyway, here is : Blackguards

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Great selection, your games to keep and you can cancel anytime - very good. Hope they can keep it up.

I dont own any of the games in November so i will have to subscribe for this month. Was gonna buy LoG2 and VC anyway at some point.

zulux21

Great selection, your games to keep and you can cancel anytime - very good. Hope they can keep it up.

I dont own any of the games in November so i will have to subscribe for this month. Was gonna buy LoG2 and VC anyway at some point.

if you subscribe now you will be signing up to get the unknown games in December. You can't buy the games in the monthly bundle after the bundle has been revealed.

Aselith

That's not how this works

zulux21

just because I am messing around with stuff...

First off if you cancel your membership and renew it will move your date to the new date (makes sense but ideally that won't cost me a long term sub thing, though if it does I am sure I can contact them since I just cancelled to switch to paypal from credit card)

it also changes your humble monthly page to merely towerfall (the featured game for the next bundle) if you click on it it goes to your November page though.

in messing with stuff I also noticed there are DRM free versions of some of the games lol
besiege, legend of grimrock 2, sanctuaryRPG and towerfall can all be downloaded from the humble page.

Tak3n

Banned
Honestly feel they made a mistake, it feels like they think their business model was "we have to make a profit" where we all know on a first promotion it is almost critical you do a loss leader... as they will lose swathes of customers with a 'meh' first bundle....and that is exactly what they done here, sure it is not bad value, but it is not great and the games are mostly a year old....

They needed a 'boom' month, even if it meant they would take a hit on profit..IMO anyways

me0wish

My biggest complaint is the lack of dlc, got SR4? Pay 20$ for dlc or wait for it to drop to 5$, Got Tower Fall? Pay 10$ for dlc or wait for it to drop to 5$, the bundle feels like a "trap" to convince people to pay more.

No drm free/ost included is also pretty disappointing, but I have to admit it's a quiet decent bundle, and I'll consider getting the next one after the hints.

MarionCB

My biggest complaint is the lack of dlc, got SR4? Pay 20$ for dlc or wait for it to drop to 5$, Got Tower Fall? Pay 10$ for dlc or wait for it to drop to 5$, the bundle feels like a "trap" to convince people to pay more.

No drm free/ost included is also pretty disappointing, but I have to admit it's a quiet decent bundle, and I'll consider getting the next one after the hints.

They actually give you drm-free versions of Sanctuary, Towerfall, Besiege, and Legend of Grimrock 2, thankfully. No soundtracks though.

I totally agree on the dlc. Especially SR4; it needed to be the GOTY edition.

We are quite the jaded bunch these days, are we not? All this discussion for a great assortment of games for $12. Any semi-recent console game alone costs more than this bundle.

Hell, I just checked Amazon. VC on ps3 still cost $17.

jonno394

You can't make this up. Saints Row IV given in the Monthly Sub and now they have a saints row sale in the humble store!

The GOTY version is only £1 more than the vanilla version we just got. (£3.74 vs £2.74)

Fuck it, i'm cancelling my sub now.

I already owned Saints Row 4 so I got 6 games I didn't have for $12 - £8 roughly. 6 games for 8 quid. I mean that is what £1.33 or something a game? Can I be mad because one of them wasn't GTA V or some other massive game? Hmm don't know. I'll give it a go for another month - see what we get. At £1.33 a game I can afford the risk. I'm not a gambling man but I'll let it roll.

NeoRaider

I already owned Saints Row 4 so I got 6 games I didn't have for $12 - £8 roughly. 6 games for 8 quid. I mean that is what £1.33 or something a game? Can I be mad because one of them wasn't GTA V or some other massive game? Hmm don't know. I'll give it a go for another month - see what we get. At £1.33 a game I can afford the risk. I'm not a gambling man but I'll let it roll.

I like your positivity.
It looks like most of the ppl expected more tho.

I like your positivity.
It looks like most of the ppl expected more tho.

lol thanks. I don't think I had any expectations when I signed up. I enjoy buying Bundles and took a chance. If the next blind bundle is 7 games and I own 5 of them and 2 I would never ever want to play I may reconsider my positivity!

KingV

Nah, that's been out less than 2 months and is still selling strongly. Far too soon.

I think that's sort of the point. To make this exciting it has to have games that would otherwise not have a shot at ending up in a humble bundle yet.

People that buy the monthly probably already buy humble bundles, so the monthly needs to be differentiated somehow.

zulux21

I think that's sort of the point. To make this exciting it has to have games that would otherwise not have a shot at ending up in a humble bundle yet.

People that buy the monthly probably already buy humble bundles, so the monthly needs to be differentiated somehow.

that is what i was getting at.

beyond that the way this monthly bundle is done is blind and after it's out you can't buy it. They would maybe give out 20k keys (as I can't imagine much more than that signed up for this) get some money for those keys, and get the advertisement of a humble bundle for their game to increase their sales even more. People who are interested in the game but haven't bought it would be sad they missed out on the humble bundle (helping humble sell more bundles as people don't want to miss out), while others who got the bundle and see people's positive reactions to the game and give it a try and spread more positive word of mouth for it.

a monthly bundle like this needs something that you wouldn't expect to be bundled.

R1CHO

I am happy with the month, kind of crazy that I didn't have any of the games.

A blind purchase is dumb by principle of course, but I will probably keep the subscription, as a guilty pleasure, till the first disappointment.

Yeah, this is how I feel too.

KingV

that is what i was getting at.

beyond that the way this monthly bundle is done is blind and after it's out you can't buy it. They would maybe give out 20k keys (as I can't imagine much more than that signed up for this) get some money for those keys, and get the advertisement of a humble bundle for their game to increase their sales even more. People who are interested in the game but haven't bought it would be sad they missed out on the humble bundle (helping humble sell more bundles as people don't want to miss out), while others who got the bundle and see people's positive reactions to the game and give it a try and spread more positive word of mouth for it.

a monthly bundle like this needs something that you wouldn't expect to be bundled.

I actually wouldn't mind like season passesto super recent games either. Something like fallout 4 or something.

It would probably be a good way to push sales of the base game for pubs.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I actually wouldn't mind like season passesto super recent games either. Something like fallout 4 or something.

It would probably be a good way to push sales of the base game for pubs.

I'm already not going to sign up for a blind monthly bundle, but giving out DLC to games that are not themselves included would be one way to ensure I'd never get the service or cancel immediately if I had it.

KingV

I'm already not going to sign up for a blind monthly bundle, but giving out DLC to games that are not themselves included would be one way to ensure I'd never get the service or cancel immediately if I had it.

If it was a big AAA release coming our that month, I'd be OK with it. But that's probably it.

That said, I'll probably stick around one month to see how/if they address the concerns. This month actually was good for me, because there's three games I've almost bought at various times, but didn't.

If they can make that happen again next month I'll stick with it, but I have serious doubts baed on month 1.

bkw

Hmm that is weird, I just checked and the keys are correct so either the humble page is lying to me or something else is wrong.
What game did you get then bkw?
It was Abyss Odyssey. You get two keys from humble. Perhaps you posted them both? I dunno.

Already have PS Plus for $5 a month so this is a definite no.

I'd rage if I had this as well with overlapping games with PS Plus too lmao.... already have 250 games from Plus anyway.

It was Abyss Odyssey. You get two keys from humble. Perhaps you posted them both? I dunno.

Nope, names and keys are correct, I myself redeemed one of the Abyss Odyssey code so there can't be another.

So, basically they gave me 3 abyss keys, and only 3 contagion keys.

Top Bottom