• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hydro Thunder Hurricane |OT|

JRW

TheOddOne said:
I can't get in the top 3 on the last track (Area 51) :lol Anybody got any tips?

If you choose a Novice boat it gives you a better chance at placing 1st due to easier AI difficulty.

But its also a good feeling when you achieve 1st place with an Expert boat :D

SuperPac

This game is so. much. fun. Damned shame it's not getting much attention. Had a blast trying to best leaderboard times on Monster Island and Lake Powell tonight. So good. :)

Oh, also - Is it just me or is page up/page down on leaderboards not working? I have 20 friends that are playing this, but I'm only able to see the first page of times on any track.

Vorg

Banned
Just got to 500.000 credits. I'm getting a bit tired of always racing the same tracks over and over, though. Vector Unit really needs to get some DLC tracks out before the online dies.

acidspunk said:
Just got to 500.000 credits. I'm getting a bit tired of always racing the same tracks over and over, though. Vector Unit really needs to get some DLC tracks out before the online dies.
Yeah it'd be nice to get something within the next month or two.

TheOddOne

acidspunk said:
Damn, I barely have 35.000 :lol

JRW

Im at around 150,000 credits im still havin fun playing this online but also looking forward to new tracks.

Vorg

Banned
This was posted in the game's official forum on xbox.com:

VectorUnit said:
Calling all Hydro Thunder fans:

Come and join me at the rest of the team from Vector Unit, developers of Hydro Thunder Hurricane, when we host "Game with Developers" on Sunday August 15, from 5pm-8pm EST. Just do a Multiplayer Search at the date and time above, and look for our gamertags hosting Races and Rubber Ducky games.

We'll be playing with the following gamertags:

VectorUnit1, VectorUnit2, VectorUnit3 and (you guessed it) VectorUnit4

Information about the event can be found here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/calendar/gamewithdevelopers/2010/0815-hydrothunder.htm

We've been super impressed with some of the amazing (legit ;) ) Leaderboard times being posted, and we can't wait to pit our rocket boat skillz against yours. Plus we'll have our headsets plugged in to talk about the game and answer any questions you might have. So join us! (And tell your Friends who are still playing the free trial that this is their chance to stop dillydallying around and Step Up.)

Hope to see you there -

Matt

Nice. Looking forward to it :D

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Anybody else online have an opponent's boat show up as "DLC Boat" before a race? Is that a glitch?

Plinko said:
Anybody else online have an opponent's boat show up as "DLC Boat" before a race? Is that a glitch?
I've seen this several times (although it switches off that pretty quickly for me). Probably some built-in code for eventual DLC that pops up before the actual selected boat is transferred over the network so you can see it or something.

Vorg

Banned
Did some online races with Paco/Sydle today. It was awesome. It's great to play with people that skilled at the game. :)

SuperPac

hydroleaderboard.jpg

Got into the Top 100 on Monster Island while trying to beat someone in this thread's time (Gamertag Mathesar, whoever you are). For some of those times I have no idea who the hell one would go that fast.

Top time (deleting the obvious cheater) is 2:31:27...yikes.

JRW

SuperPac said:
hydroleaderboard.jpg

Got into the Top 100 on Monster Island while trying to beat someone in this thread's time (Gamertag Mathesar, whoever you are). For some of those times I have no idea who the hell one would go that fast.

lol thats me (Mathesar), You and Sydle have been keeping me on my toes but Ive been having a lot of fun trying to shave off those extra seconds.

Temujin

Gentlemen, I have a challenge for you:

4880681674_2bb5cc2f55.jpg

I was annoyed at my time on the leaderboard SuperPac posted, so I started going for a better time on each track. I'm now in the first 1000 on every track apart from Area 51 (which I really don't get). Like Daigoro said, I'd also love to see downloadable leaderboard replays so I can see how the top ranked players go through the track.
Also, JRW, I beat you on one track (can't remember which one) with just 1/100 of a second heh. I've been trying to improve my time but I just couldn't, so it's your turn now.

Vorg

Banned
I've been noticing a growing tendency as of late. I play almost exclusively online and today every other race I won, the host would disconnect. Also, a lot more people have been kicking me out of lobbies for winning and some guy even sent me a message calling me a dick. It's a real shame that this is the kind of online community the game has. What the fuck is the problem of losing a race every once in a while? -____-

acidspunk said:
I've been noticing a growing tendency as of late. I play almost exclusively online and today every other race I won, the host would disconnect. Also, a lot more people have been kicking me out of lobbies for winning and some guy even sent me a message calling me a dick. It's a real shame that this is the kind of online community the game has. What the fuck is the problem of losing a race every once in a while? -____-
I don't know but it's really sad.

I mean, this isn't even a 'serious' racing game.

Sydle

JRW said:
lol thats me (Mathesar), You and Sydle have been keeping me on my toes but Ive been having a lot of fun trying to shave off those extra seconds.

I just got 2:38:08 2:36:62 on Monster Island. Number 65.

Get back to work!

SuperPac said:
hydroleaderboard.jpg

Just got ahead of you! Now sixty-somethingth in the world.

Gauntlet thrown :)

Sydle

acidspunk said:
Did some online races with Paco/Sydle today. It was awesome. It's great to play with people that skilled at the game. :)

Same to you. Wondering when you're going to go after the single race leaderboards...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As of yesterday I was 36th on the Monster Island novice rings. Haven't checked today, though.

Other than Williams Pinball, that's the highest I've ever been ranked on any game :lol

XBL tag: Liegedog

Sydle

Temujin said:
Gentlemen, I have a challenge for you:

4880681674_2bb5cc2f55.jpg

I was annoyed at my time on the leaderboard SuperPac posted, so I started going for a better time on each track. I'm now in the first 1000 on every track apart from Area 51 (which I really don't get). Like Daigoro said, I'd also love to see downloadable leaderboard replays so I can see how the top ranked players go through the track.
Also, JRW, I beat you on one track (can't remember which one) with just 1/100 of a second heh. I've been trying to improve my time but I just couldn't, so it's your turn now.

Done.

1:39:68 on Lost Babylon. Number 39 in the world. :D

Gamertag is Sydle. Love this game.

Temujin

Paco said:
Done.

1:39:68 on Lost Babylon. Number 39 in the world. :D

Gamertag is Sydle. Love this game.

Oh wow, that was fast :lol Good job! Added you. I'm not going to play today, my right wrist still hurts too much from playing hours on end yesterday heh.

Sydle

Temujin said:
Oh wow, that was fast :lol Good job! Added you. I'm not going to play today, my right wrist still hurts too much from playing hours on end yesterday heh.

Well, it took me more than an hour to pull it off. I could consistently get a 1:40:79 - 1:40:99. I kept telling myself, "he's only a man, where the hell did he gain those micro seconds?" I'm not sure where I finally gained it, maybe fell into a couple drafts at the right moment, but it was fun getting there.

Cool, looking forward to more competition. :D

SuperPac

Paco said:
You beat me (Sydle) by 2 micro seconds...I know what I'm doing after work. :lol

And snoopeasystreet is only 4 of those microseconds ahead of me. I know what *I'm* doing after work as well! :)

Vorg

Banned
You guys are 2 full seconds ahead of me on Monster Island (miangogico). I've tried to get close quite a few times but I can't seem to be able to. Any tips for a n00b? :p

SuperPac

snoopeasystreet said:
That's pretty amazing how we're all so close. I think I'm going to have to set Monday Night Combat aside and play some Monster Island.

It'd be interesting to see if we all take the same route.

Acid: I was right about where you were last night. After trying that race again and again I decided to try changing my route slightly on a few runs. Turned out that was what I needed to do to shave off some more time.

Best thing about this versus the original arcade game? Being able to hit that restart button. I've had near-perfect runs where suddenly on the third lap I'll hit a wave wrong or land on an opponent's boat and flip skyward. So nice to have that quick restart. :)

Sydle

acidspunk said:
You guys are 2 full seconds ahead of me on Monster Island (miangogico). I've tried to get close quite a few times but I can't seem to be able to. Any tips for a n00b? :p

• Drafting helps tremendously, but the other boats don't always take the same route, so it's kind of luck of the draw
  • Minimalize having to adjust Rad Hazard - every little adjustment slows it down a bit
  • Practice to make it so you're easing into turns rather than doing a hard turn
  • Recognize parts of the track where it's just better to jump and boost
  • Pick up all the boosts

Some of it's just luck.

ZZMitch

I have been playing the trial version and it is really fun... but I can't get in an online game... is the online dead already? I still have all 10 minutes of my time left... I want to make sure I can actually play online before I buy this :lol

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like I have some serious work to do, CJ, on Monster Island. I'll show you! :O

SuperPac said:
It'd be interesting to see if we all take the same route.
Well I take the most standard route. I don't take the "shortcut" near the start where the mouth opens or take the powerup that raises the ramp near the end of the lap. I usually have enough boost saved up that I don't need to go for the reds.

Do you go faster while in the air? I tend to jump a lot but I can't tell if it helps you in terms of speed or if it's just for taking corners tighter.

Sydle

SuperPac said:
We've got a regular GAF pack on the Monster Island leaderboard now.

hydroleaderboard2.jpg

Now at 2:36:02 2:35:84 2:35:22 on Monster Island. Number 27 in the world.

I get as far as 1.91 seconds ahead of that time and lose just about all of it near the end of the third lap. Need to figure out what I'm doing wrong there.

Go for it, guys!

Drakken

Anyone else just absolutely hate Monster Island? The other tracks are great, but for some reason Monster Island frustrates me to no end.

Also, racing question: When you're drafting, do you guys typically save your boost?

SuperPac

Drakken said:
Anyone else just absolutely hate Monster Island? The other tracks are great, but for some reason Monster Island frustrates me to no end.

Also, racing question: When you're drafting, do you guys typically save your boost?

I love Monster Island. Storming Asgard is probably the only track I'm not particularly fond of.

SuperPac

Well, I might be out of the monster island fun. First lap is fine and the checkpoint times are in the green - but for some reason I can't hold it on the second lap, pretty much from the first checkpoint on it's red red red. *sigh*

Sydle

SuperPac said:
Well, I might be out of the monster island fun. First lap is fine and the checkpoint times are in the green - but for some reason I can't hold it on the second lap, pretty much from the first checkpoint on it's red red red. *sigh*

Drafting helps so much on that track. You should be able to go from one wake to the next with few exceptions for the first two laps, collecting all of the boosts, and you should be able to take first place by the time you reach that dinosaur that jumps out of the water and splashes on the third lap.

Drakken said:

Depends if I'm running low. I usually have enough boost to use it through the whole race, drafting just makes it even faster.

SuperPac

Paco said:
Drafting helps so much on that track. You should be able to go from one wake to the next with few exceptions for the first two laps, collecting all of the boosts, and you should be able to take first place by the time you reach that dinosaur that jumps out of the water and splashes on the third lap.

Yep, that's basically what I've been doing, though I probably haven't been directly in wakes the entire time.

Sydle

I'm down for some multiplayer this evening. Gamertag is Sydle.

SuperPac said:
Yep, that's basically what I've been doing, though I probably haven't been directly in wakes the entire time.

As long as you're getting the increase in speed from them you're fine. The only other things I can think of is that you're taking the corners to hard, or you're taking an alternate route that really isn't a shortcut.

Unfortunatley, there is some luck involved as well. Can't tell you how many times I cursed at hitting a random wave wrong on a corner or landing on top of another boat.

Top Bottom