• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hydro Thunder Hurricane |OT|

Aspiring

I am so over this shit day 1!!! Cannot wait. I just have a question. Is there any sort of carrer mode, similar to that of Wipeout HD? If so even better :D

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Ahh, hydro thunder. I spent so many quarters on you at my arcade. you were the best. Now, I shall own you in glorious HD.

geebee

Banned
Can't wait for this! Was kind of disappointed by the Midway Arcade Treasures PS2 version for some reasion. It was a while ago, so I can't remember but it just didn't seem right...

N.A

Banned
nolookjones said:
this game comes out next week? anyone playing it?

Have been playing it all week. Can't talk about it till Monday 5pm GMT though, as that is when the embargo lifts.

S1kkZ

N.A said:
Have been playing it all week. Can't talk about it till Monday 5pm GMT though, as that is when the embargo lifts.
as a fan of the original, should i get some ms points?

Played and interviewed for it at PAX East, and while it was fun, I do fear that for only eight tracks, it might be a little steep pricewise. Meanwhile, having split screen multiplayer is niiice.

Synless

plagiarize said:
so? neither is playing online.

why should it be possible for everyone to get all the achievements in a game?
I don't believe that online achievements or trophies should be made either, they should be patched in after the game comes out for only those who have online. See MW2 or Uncharted 2 for how to add MP achievements/trophies.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm ready to go, can't wait.

Hopefully, there's some DLC, and that Vector Unit does a Daytona USA revival next... or a San Francisco Rush revival... :D

Sydle

I'm buying this on the first day. I just hope it's as challenging as the original and they nailed the multiplayer aspect.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Synless said:
See Uncharted 2 for how to add MP achievements/trophies.

the second DLC pack where you can get them across ALL game modes, maybe.

The first one? HELL NO. PLEASE. NO. NEVER. NO. NEVER AGAIN. NO. GOD NO. FUCK NO. HELL NO. NO.

Still have to get triples... IN DEATHMATCH (despite the fact I'd have about 3-4 if they counted Plunder).

Actually, multiplayer achievements need to die in a fire and never return. They're horrible.

Of course, this doesn't mean you can't just edit your profile and have this Hydro Thunder achievement unlock if you don't have 4-players to do it with.
*TEE-HEE*

iosef

Is the old skool announcer in this? Didn't seem like it from the trailer.

If "yes" I could be persuaded buy a 360 just for this.

CHOO-OOSE YOUR TRACK!
CHOO-OOSE YOUR BOAT!
THREE TWO ONE GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!1

Vorg

Banned
iosef said:
Is the old skool announcer in this? Didn't seem like it from the trailer.

If "yes" I could be persuaded buy a 360 just for this.

CHOO-OOSE YOUR TRACK!
CHOO-OOSE YOUR BOAT!
THREE TWO ONE GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!1

I don't think the over the top announcer is in the game. At least not in the gameplay videos I've seen. There is an announcer, but he seems much less expansive in his comments. Probably a good thing for longer play sessions.

jodosutari

Neo Member
Alright, all this time I was under the impression that this is a port of the great arcade game H2Overdrive, but it seems this is not the case. I'll be getting this though and hope it's as fast and crazy as that one. Footage looks promising.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=29109

ESRB said:
This is an arcade-style racing game in which players control rocket-powered speedboats through the waters of Paris, Lake Powell, Seoul, and even Mars. Players launch their boats over ramps, run into speed boosts and collect power-ups, and avoid obstacles such as barrels, walls, and rocks. Collisions cause the boats to explode in a brief fiery blast. One billboard depicts snacks and beer next to the word "Beeritos."
Hmmm

Beeritos

N.A

Banned
I'll post a condensed version of my impressions here:

+Good track design with lots of routes/shortcuts.
+Fun handling.
+Good amount of single player content with nice progression.
+Excellent Geo Wars 2 style leaderboard integration.
+Fun online play.

-Framerate drops on occasion.
-Only eight tracks.
-Announcer is annoying and you can only turn him off by turning down the sound effects.

Overall I really enjoyed it despite these problems, though I also loved the DC version of the original.

N.A

Banned
chubigans said:
You can't smash other boats while boosting? How the hell could they leave that out?? :(

I'd imagine it's because you're boosting pretty much all the time.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
N.A said:
I'd imagine it's because you're boosting pretty much all the time.
You're a bad Hydro Thunder player if you're not boosting 95% of the time through tracks. That's always been possible.

N.A said:
I'll post a condensed version of my impressions here:

+Good track design with lots of routes/shortcuts.
+Fun handling.
+Good amount of single player content with nice progression.
+Excellent Geo Wars 2 style leaderboard integration.
+Fun online play.

-30 fps with frequent drops.
-Only eight tracks.
-Announcer is annoying and you can only turn him off by turning down the sound effects.

Overall I really enjoyed it despite these problems, though I also loved the DC version of the original.
30 fls with drops is not good even for those with dreamcast memories :lol

8 tracks is fine imo these kind of games are made so you replay them for better times, finding items and nailing the turns just right.

Will wait for the 800msp sale sometime down the road.

Eurogamer review up:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/hydro-thunder-hurricane-review

If Limbo, last week's inaugural Summer of Arcade release, aspired to the art house aesthete's choice - Braid through a glass, darkly - Hydro Thunder Hurricane is a hyperactive celebration of balls-out, dumbass, American videogame-ness. 25-foot racing boats, whose engines roar in Texan accents, roll and bounce through white water rapids. They gobble down speed boost capsules like froth-mouthed junkies under a maelstrom of distorted keyboards and six-foot snare drum clacks.

Delicacy and finesse be damned, screams developer Vector Unit into the wind and spray: videogames are about domination and high-speed spectacle; they're about shaving a few seconds from the times of every last name on your Enemies List; about finding the odd secret bonus and, every three laps or so, making your jaw hang slack as a giant f**king sea serpent explodes out of the water and sends your boat ricocheting off into a rock face.
What a way to start a review :lol

N.A

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Hey NA, can you play with boosts off in a custom game? Just curious.

No. There are two multiplayer modes: Race and Rubber Ducky.

Rubber Ducky a team mode with one player on each side controlling the rubber duck boat and the other players having to help them.

Also, I'm kinda having doubts whether it is 30 fps or 60 fps. There is a weird motion blur effect and the screen is shaking a lot so it's hard to tell. There are definately frame drops though.

N.A said:

Rubber Ducky a team mode with one player on each side controlling the rubber duck boat and the other players having to help them.

Also, I'm kinda having doubts whether it is 30 fps or 60 fps. There is a weird motion blur effect and the screen is shaking a lot so it's hard to tell. There are definately frame drops though.
Bummer, I was thinking more along the lines of it being an option for a single player quick race mode but that seems unlikely now.

30fps with frequent drops!? What a joke! :lol

I'll pass, release it on PC or forever relegate the game to worthless obscurity.

SuperPac

Cannot. Effing. Wait.

Logged many hours on the arcade version and it looks like they pretty much nailed it. Maybe the sound effects are a little off but hey, as long as the gameplay's right I'll be happy. :)

chubigans said:
Microsoft now owns the IP.

Then the more logical question should be (should have always been, really) why isn't it coming to the PC? Microsoft could really use some exclusive content to push GFWL Marketplace and a 60fps version of a new Hydro Thunder would be a nice candidate for starters. Do they really expect people to buy a 360 for a new Hydro Thunder with a shitty framerate?

brain_stew said:
Then the more logical question should be (should have always been, really) why isn't it coming to the PC? Microsoft could really use some exclusive content to push GFWL Marketplace and a 60fps version of a new Hydro Thunder would be a nice candidate for starters. Do they really expect people to buy a 360 for a new Hydro Thunder with a shitty framerate?
I wish microsoft would buck up a bit with pc versions.

N.A

Banned
I should point out that I don't think the framerate is bad. It certainly doesn't affect the gameplay.

It's just on certain stages it feels much smoother in a straight line than it does when turning.

see5harp

brain_stew said:

Do you really think that more people are saying "well it's only 30 fps on 360, so I'm holding out for a GWL version"?

Shurs

N.A said:

It's not capped at 30.

Top Bottom