• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hydro Thunder Hurricane |OT|

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
The IGN Review seems a bit harsh and maybe too critical. It seems like the reviewer docked off some points because he didn't like the fantasy stuff in the game more than the game itself.

I'd take notice and be concerned if only the other reviews on Metacritic weren't the complete opposite of IGN's review. When nine other reviews give it a pretty good score but one review comes in and butchers it, who do you listen to?

The other nine, right?

I'd say play it yourself and decide on your own, but what do I know, I'm just a Junior.

Shurs

N.A said:
He states the loading times are awful. I've just done several tests. It takes around 4-5 seconds to load any track with any mode. Restarting and returning to the menu are near instant. Maybe he was playing off a USB drive that doesn't meet the 360's performance reccomendation?

Yeah, I don't know where he got the load time complaint from. It's possible the build he as playing was on debug, tough I doubt it. That being said, you stated that the framerate was 30 with drops, how are you any more credible?

N.A

Banned
Shurs said:
Yeah, I don't know where he got the load time complaint from. It's possible the build he as playing was on debug, tough I doubt it. That being said, you stated that the framerate was 30 with drops, how are you any more credible?

I edited my post as soon as I realized my mistake. The first stage has a pretty solid framerate well above 30 but the more demanding levels routinely drop below and when I went to play the game yesterday, these were the levels I was playing.

Shurs

N.A said:
I edited my post as soon as I realized my mistake. The first stage has a pretty solid framerate well above 30 but the more demanding levels routinely drop below and when I went to play the game yesterday, these were the levels I was playing.

So people can make mistakes. I don't think his review needs to be invalidated because he complained about the load times. There was a lot more he didn't like about the game than load times.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shurs said:
Just to clarify, this guy is wrong. It's clearly a higher framerate than 30 fps. Is it 60? Sometimes, but I'm not really a frame-rate expert, so I can't say for sure. But definitely better than 30.
That's not really a good thing, though. If you can't hold 60 fps, then lock it at 30 fps. Framerates that fluctuate wildly feel infinitely worse than a stable, but lower overall framerate.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Shurs

dark10x said:
That's not really a good thing, though. If you can't hold 60 fps, then lock it at 30 fps. Framerates that fluctuate wildly feel infinitely worse than a stable, but lower overall framerate.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

The framerate in Hydro Thunder Hurricane was never an issue for me, and I put hours into the game.

TheOddOne

WaltJay said:
The Edge review is up.

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/hydro-thunder-hurricane-review

Welcome to Bizarro World where Edge gives a game an 8 and IGN gives a 5.5 :lol
:lol

Also this:
Edge Review said:
And a word, too, for the small touches. The quick loading times; the choice between MPH and KPH units; the instant recovery button that stops one mistake ruining a whole race; the credits system that dripfeeds you rewards every few races; the support for online splitscreen; the leaderboards, and how your rival’s times flash up in-race to add just that extra dash of spice. Lines like, "You don’t earn anything for beating [your friend’s time], but inside you know it kind of makes you better than they are". And all the corny stuff brought back from the original: "You’re Kerrrazy" for picking an Expert class boat, and every race starts with "Go Go Go!" Hydro Thunder’s blithe presentation means that even where it’s in danger of being cheesy and dumb, it flashes a big white-toothed grin and gets away with it. We'll forgive the needless ‘rock’ soundtrack, which is better replaced with Splash Wave.
IGN :lol

acidspunk said:
:lol :lol :lol That's funny. I wonder how much the IGN reviewer actually played when every other publication has a review that contradicts his.
Arthur Gies is a pretty solid dude (I listen to him on the Rebel FM podcast). I'm sure he gave it a fair shot and just didn't like it. Not sure whats up with the load times issue.

On a personal note, I've been going through the day thinking it was Wednesday and I'd get to play this when I got home. =\

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TheOddOne said:
:lol

Also this:

IGN :lol
I wouldn't say the loading times are quick, though. Just watch the Giant Bomb quick look and see for yourself. They show several loading screens. They aren't awful, per se, but they certainly aren't quick.

cluto

Neuromancer said:
Arthur Gies is a pretty solid dude (I listen to him on the Rebel FM podcast). I'm sure he gave it a fair shot and just didn't like it. Not sure whats up with the load times issue.
I also listen to the Rebel FM podcast and feel that exact opposite about Arthur Gies.

Shurs

dark10x said:
I wouldn't say the loading times are quick, though. Just watch the Giant Bomb quick look and see for yourself. They show several loading screens. They aren't awful, per se, but they certainly aren't quick.

They are quick.

WaltJay said:
The Edge review is up.

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/hydro-thunder-hurricane-review

Welcome to Bizarro World where Edge gives a game an 8 and IGN gives a 5.5 :lol
Here's a excerpt from Edge's review:

At its core, though, is Hydro Thunder Hurricane's handling model. Swerving between subtlety and throttle every few seconds, it graces tracks that provide both competitive dashes and full-on fairground rides.

It really is the opposite of what IGN's review because it said the controls were horrible with frequent wall-bumps, force reverses, etc.

Did they play the same game?

It might be the case of one reviewer playing it wrong or not understanding the general rules of an arcade game, can't say but i'd wait for gaf word of mouth over these so called reviews.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Diablohead said:
It might be the case of one reviewer playing it wrong or not understanding the general rules of an arcade game, can't say but i'd wait for gaf word of mouth over these so called reviews.
One guy liked the game and the other one didn't, and they both found reasons to justify their opinion. You don't spend much time talking about flaws in a game you enjoy unless you're Yahtzee.

cluto said:
I also listen to the Rebel FM podcast and feel that exact opposite about Arthur Gies.

i listen too and he seems like an ok guy but has a tendency to play the devil's advocate with a lot of popular games...

Shurs

This game is more fun to play than it is to talk about.

The leaderboard integration is excellent. It pits you against the time of someone who's ahead of you on the leaderboard and updates you as to how far ahead or behind their time you are as you pass through the checkpoints.

The framerate is fine.

Each craft has different attributes so some are faster, some control better, etc.

It's a throwback to the arcade games of a bygone era and is perfectly suited for the pickup and play nature of the downloadable space.

Daigoro

Shurs said:

The leaderboard integration is excellent. It pits you against the time of someone who's ahead of you on the leaderboard and updates you as to how far ahead or behind their time you are as you pass through the checkpoints.

The framerate is fine.

Each craft has different attributes so some are faster, some control better, etc.

It's a throwback to the arcade games of a bygone era and is perfectly suited for the pickup and play nature of the downloadable space.

i havent had high hopes for this game as of yet, but you're helping.

looking forward to checking out the demo.

Shurs

Daigoro said:
i havent had high hopes for this game as of yet, but you're helping.

looking forward to checking out the demo.

The game is pretty straightforward, so I imagine a one track demo will tell you all you need to know about the title.

mujun

Shurs said:

The framerate is fine.

What sort of length are we talking about for the single player career?

Shurs

mujun said:
What sort of length are we talking about for the single player career?

There are a total eight tracks and nine boats that are unlocked by earning credits. By placing in the top 3 you win credits. It doesn't take that long to unlock all of the tracks and boats. Once I'd unlocked everything, I became more interested in climbing the leaderboards than beating the AI. Overtaking people's times is what will keep me coming back to the game.

I know the above is a non-answer, but the replay value is really high with the leaderboards. Plus, it becomes available, and some people on my Friends List buy the game, I'll want to challenge their times as well.

mujun

Shurs said:
There are a total eight tracks and nine boats that are unlocked by earning credits. By placing in the top 3 you win credits. It doesn't take that long to unlock all of the tracks and boats. Once I'd unlocked everything, I became more interested in climbing the leaderboards than beating the AI. Overtaking people's times is what will keep me coming back to the game.

I know the above is a non-answer, but the replay value is really high with the leaderboards. Plus, it becomes available, and some people on my Friends List buy the game, I'll want to challenge their times as well.

Thanks. I'm not much of a leaderboard/score person so I guess I'll try the demo and see how I feel. I do on the other hand love arcade racers.

Daigoro

thats exactly what arcade racers are all about. leaderboards baby.

as long as the game is fun to play, the replay value should be through the roof. (if you're into leaderboards)

edit: all of those achievements look cool except for the humans one. boo! they always have to throw a stinker in there... :/

this may or may not be the first Summer of Arcade game i buy. (passed on Limbo for now)

nick_f

If only there was such thing as a free "Trial" version of the game so people could make up their own minds about such things as load times, frame rate and visual quality!

Lothars

cluto said:

I must feel the same way as you about him because when it's not that his review was bad but I just have heard him for so long on Rebel FM and that makes me think I won't agree with him.

Daigoro

nick_f said:
If only there was such thing as a free "Trial" version of the game so people could make up their own minds about such things as load times, frame rate and visual quality!

who are you talking to? pretty sure everyone here know XBLA games have demos...

Gowans

Shurs said:

Too few games have followed up on that great little idea since GeoWars2 threw it in. It really works great.

Looking forward to trying out the demo on my lunch break today.

burgerdog

Game is up. Click on the limbo spotlight tab, then hydro thunder, the best selling tab only shows two downloads, but if you scroll to the right to title, the trial and full game is there.

voltron

Well I never played the original. Never even heard of it until last week.

Im just hoping for a fun arcadey racer in the vein of Rapid Racer on Playstation. Hopefully this game can do that.

I guess the demo will help.

The 1200pts back thing from MS is genius. im almost certainly going to get every game just to get the points refund.

S1kkZ

burgerdog said:
Game is up. Click on the limbo spotlight tab, then hydro thunder, the best selling tab only shows two downloads, but if you scroll to the right to title, the trial and full game is there.
not there for me.

Top Bottom