• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The industry gets multiplayer wrong again. Splitgate tanking...

Keihart

Honestly, Splitgate does too little with the concept, it didn't try hard enough.
The game it's hardly more than the old portal mods in something like Unreal Tournament.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that every time a game gets hyped like Splitgate or Valorant it isn't organic, it just publicity budget spent where it counts paying streamers and gaming sites to praise it and put it out there so people know it exist and try it.
As much as people hate to admit this, multiplayer games need some sort of progression system to hold any sort of long term playerbase in todays gaming world. I really like splitgate but theres literally nothing to unlock or grind for, so as soon as you play every map and you spend two hours on it, the enjoyment factor completely wears off. There's nothing new to look forward to, its not like COD or BF where you can try doing challenges or leveling up to unlock more weapons or anything.
Not true, R6S has the worst and almost non existent progression system since launch but the core gameplay loop is so good and unique that the game thrived despite ubisoft shitting the marketing, launch full of bugs, repatches, shit servers, etc.

R6S is a money cow for ubisoft now, and they seem unwilling to let it rest and keep milking it as hard as they can. (progression is still nowhere to be seen)

Last edited:

Demojay13

Been enjoying splitgate I think it will go pretty good longterm. Got a major update 2 days ago and I can hear everyone doesn't matter if there in party chat or team chat. I have chat even turned off it doesn't stop it is kind of funny but annoying at same time

chixdiggit

Game is pretty great. Bonus points that it is free and not P2W.
My biggest gripe is the art style/graphics. Typically I can get into stuff like skins in a game I really like but they are so plain/generic in this game I couldn't care less.

I thought it was fun enough, combining Halo sandbox fun with Portal makes for some chaotic fun moments, but there's a definite dearth of content, just very few maps and it didn't take long to feel like you'd done it all.
I played Quake 3 Arena for years. Hell, I would play Rocket Arena on the same few maps for much of that time. Not once did I think, “this game needs more content”.

It feels odd to read “done it all” it what is supposedly a similar game (I’ve never played it). The speaks more towards a game design failure than a need for new content.

Last edited:
I just checked and the game wasn’t even out of early access beta testing until a month ago. It’s embarrassing that people are “finished” with the game already.

Top Bottom