• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread December 2012: Santa touched me somewhere weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I am always excited by their games because it looks good and then when I play them I hate it. Freaking waiting games, grinding based snore fest. I hope this one will be different! [Nimblebit Games]

For me, I'm in love and deeply addicted for like a week until I hit a wall and just stop once I realize what a waste of time it is. And yeah, you could say that about all videogames, but at least some have an endgame or a skill curve. The Nimblebit games are the best of the bunch (from what I've played), but even they fall into the same trap of feeling like a completely pointless grind once I hit a certain point.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Aren't any of you guys wanting a tactical FPS with voice chat on iOS like Rainbow Six 3?

I can't imagine this without virtual buttons/sticks which are basically the quickest way for me to delete the game and assume the dev simply does not give any shits.

Pachimari

I can't imagine this without virtual buttons/sticks which are basically the quickest way for me to delete the game and assume the dev simply does not give any shits.
I like virtual sticks. :(

I aim really well in Shadowgun Deadzone and Archetype like are they analog sticks.

Fusebox

Banned
I just finished The Room, managed to do it without using the hint system or going online too, got stuck a couple of times though and had to put it away for a day or so to come back with a fresh perspective.

Really, really, really good game. Probably one of the best puzzle games I've ever played. Everyone get it.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I like virtual sticks. :(

I aim really well in Shadowgun Deadzone and Archetype like are they analog sticks.

Even including shadowgun I've yet to see a game with virtual sticks that didn't make me wish I was doing anything else in the world rather than playing the game.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just finished The Room, managed to do it without using the hint system or going online too, got stuck a couple of times though and had to put it away for a day or so to come back with a fresh perspective.

Really, really, really good game. Probably one of the best puzzle games I've ever played. Everyone get it.

Yeah totally. It's such a great compact little game. Very pure, very intrinsically rewarding. And I love how tactile it is too.

Why do we need like 5 items slot when I had like at most (and rarely) two items on me.

Heel

Still haven't bought The Room on sale. I'm so bad lol.

Were you the guy talking about never finishing games? You should definitely get it. I have the same problem, but this game motivated me to see it through to the end. Pretty short and really clever.

Mrbob

I wish it was for iPhone. I don't game often on an iPad

Heh, I'm the opposite. I use my Ipad all the time for gaming, but hardly my phone. My phone battery is precious, don't want a game wasting it.

I think the Ipad Mini might be a happy medium between size, weight, and usability. You get a device bigger than a phone, but not as bulky as an Ipad. So you can play one handed games where you want to hold the device with one hand easier (Ipad isn't always the best for this). Once Retina hits the Mini I may make the switch.

bonesquad

Outside of NimbleBit games.
I have no self-control and get addicted :(

Don't be so damn cheap:). Unless you learn to handle games pressuring you to buy consumable IAPs, you arn't going to find many good free games.

My best suggestion is Groove Coaster Zero.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
well... free stuff is generally shit. Why spend $200+ on a fresh new phone to play free 2 play garbage :p

What, you're on crack or being sarcastic. I hope it's the second.

There's a ton of amazing f2p games out there, oftentimes better than games you'd need to pay for. That's like saying "naw man, Encarta costs so it has to be better than Wikipedia" :D

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
This week is Modern Combat 4, Into the Dead, a 3DS eshop port that hasn't been announced yet, the next game from the Epoch developer... some other stuff.

Pachimari

This week so far:

- Middle Manager of Justice
- The Woods
- Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
- Into the Dead
- Mutant Mudds
- Unannounced 3DS eShop port
- Epoch developer's game
- Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (maybe)

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Also, Zombie Endless Runner sounds great! Dead Runner which came out years ago is still one of the best games and this sounds like a "spiritual successor".

Good pick. Dead Runner was actually one of the title inspirations when I came up with the concept, the other being Zombie Highway.

Dead Runner was great, but shallow enough that I lost interest after a while once I reached the peak of my natural skill level.

Zombie Highway has great meta progression and variety which kept me playing but the gameplay didn't quite grab as much as I would have liked.

Seemed natural to combine the best of both worlds :)

I hope Middle Manager is available everywhere else this week but I seem to remember them saying that Canada would have it exclusively at first for awhile? Maybe I'm remembering that part wrong.

Heel

Hahaha I'll have to get my revenge later Wario. That's damn fun.

The rubberbanding is pretty clever. If you leave behind any jewels in a string your opponent only needs to collect the remaining ones to get a boost.

What, you're on crack or being sarcastic. I hope it's the second.

There's a ton of amazing f2p games out there, oftentimes better than games you'd need to pay for. That's like saying "naw man, Encarta costs so it has to be better than Wikipedia" :D
For iOS optimized for 5? Most are gree garbage.

Oh yeah jetpack joyride and punch quest are good free stuff.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The 3Shop title was Mutant Mudds. I didn't realize the news was out there. One of the hazards of working in the biz. I can't keep track of when news gets known all the time :)

That new Poker Knight game looks pretty cool, but some user reviews are saying the game is shallow. Still, I can't really trust user reviews.

I may check it out. Anyone get it yet? How is it?

And time to finally pick up Rayman!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hahaha I'll have to get my revenge later Wario. That's damn fun.

The rubberbanding is pretty clever. If you leave behind any jewels in a string your opponent only needs to collect the remaining ones to get a boost.

Yep, even if you have a huge gap you can still make a come back. Pretty fun

kennah

That's balls. Middle Manager deleted my (new) savegame.

They had given people who had got the beta 5000 in game gold and 50 of their iap currency. But now it's all gone.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Yep, even if you have a huge gap you can still make a come back. Pretty fun

Glad you guys are enjoying it! And especially glad to hear that "comebacks" feel decent -- that was a big design challenge, and still something we're hoping to improve, since some players still get smoked pretty badly (we're looking into a matchmaking solution that takes into account player levels).

When you race someone of equivalent skill level though, it's definitely a good time :)

xCobalt

Please post impressions when you get the chance. Is there a way to bypass regions on itunes store?

You can't bypass regions but you can set your country when creating a new itunes account.

Played about 45 minutes of middle manager of justice and its okay so far. Like most freemium simulation games, you assign tasks to each character and it'll take x amount of time with the option of speeding up with IAP currency. These tasks will make your heroes stronger or increase money for your branch.

So far, it seems the primary use of the IAP currency is to buy booster packs and each booster pack contains a random set of heroes and you pick one of three to be hired. I'm not 100% sure if it's random since I only have 2 heroes so far. The first one was probably set since it was part of the tutorial but my second hero had really good stats compared to what I was offered (maybe a rare hero?).

You are also required to protect the city by fighting thugs. Combat is very basic as your heroes automatically attack and the only thing you can do is activate special abilities from your heroes. You have a choice of not participating in these fights but will have to rely on chance to finish these missions and wait a certain amount of time. The chance of success doesn't reflect the difficulty of the fight either. I had lost a fight with a 40% of winning but when I participated in the fight, I barely lost any health.

Little stuff like equipment, outfits and consumable items (health potions, buffs, ect) are nice additions. The special currency doesn't seem too hard to get either. It seems like you have a chance of getting 1 after every fight. I was also awarded 10 for the first boss in the game. For comparison, you need 10 to get the basic booster pack.

20cent

Banned
Hey guys! The company I work for just launched this game today!
It's a super fun new word game, sort of a Boggle meets Othello type deal.
It's available iOS and Android.

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ExMggcfdg

itunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/letter-by-letter-free/id572207781?mt=8

android link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.rowshambow.letterbyletter

le8bF.jpg

thanks, played it with my gf the whole evening

Minsc

Gold Member
That new Poker Knight game looks pretty cool, but some user reviews are saying the game is shallow. Still, I can't really trust user reviews.

I may check it out. Anyone get it yet? How is it?

And time to finally pick up Rayman!

If you really like counting cards and making poker hands with a few minor weird twists on your phone/tablet, I don't think you can go wrong for the price, assuming you've had your share of Sword & Poker already. It's a little bland, but the options for poker + rpg are limited. It's also a pretty blatant rip off of Gyromancer too, except for swapping the whole match 3 with poker thing, so if you're looking for a different reason to skip it, there you go.

How do you know this?

Announced here.

x-Lundz-x

If you really like counting cards and making poker hands with a few minor weird twists on your phone/tablet, I don't think you can go wrong for the price, assuming you've had your share of Sword & Poker already. It's a little bland, but the options for poker + rpg are limited. It's also a pretty blatant rip off of Gyromancer too, except for swapping the whole match 3 with poker thing, so if you're looking for a different reason to skip it, there you go.

Announced here.

Dammit, I want to play this so bad..... On my iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom