• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread: November 2012 A Bold New Era!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great idea for the thread. Will be so much easier to see what's currently hot and what everyone here is playing.

Although old, but as it's been mentioned, I really wish I could play Tapped Out but our Wi-Fi doesn't reach my room that well so I'm always getting disconnected from it on my iPhone. Sucks real bad.

Ah, yes! Thanks. But is not a Space Sim? I thought it was freeform with trading and so. Need to check it out.
Space flight rpg? Forgot what the genre is called, but a space sim would be like a physics sim or something like kerbal space program imo :p

Is this game any good? I've been excited for it, but haven't seen many impressions around here about it.

It's pretty decent. Amazing graphics doesn't hurt. it's what one imagines of the genre, ya trade goods, do quests do battle with folks (you do transition into battle, jrpg style). Get new ships, new weapons.

Just a reminder, we have ARC Squadron on sale for $0.99 for the first 24 hours only, so if you want it I'd suggest getting it ASAP.

We are IAP optional as someone said above, we balanced it so you could play without using IAP at all. Since it's a $4.99 game normally, adding required IAP is gross and not our style. It's just there for people that want to go crazy, basically.

Store link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arc-...512808632?mt=8
Demo link:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arc-...564247225?mt=8

edit: last note, a reminder that iPod Touch 4g/5g support will be fixed in a patch that should be out any day now, waiting on Apple

ferr

I like the idea behind this OT style a lot. Here's to it evolving well over the coming months.

On another note Knights P&P and ARC Squadron look really nice, will give them a shot.

Just a reminder, we have ARC Squadron on sale for $0.99 for the first 24 hours only, so if you want it I'd suggest getting it ASAP.

We are IAP optional as someone said above, we balanced it so you could play without using IAP at all. Since it's a $4.99 game normally, adding required IAP is gross and not our style. It's just there for people that want to go crazy, basically.

quick question, how big is it installed? my iphone is short on room atm :(

Does it have cloud sync?

GeekyDad

I already miss "the old unweildy 200,000 post long megathreads." Now, I'll have to press the subscribe button at least once a month. That's too much work. :p

Anyway, still can't tear myself away from Elder Sign: Omens. Not sure why the game has such a hold over me. Also gave Ticket to Ride (Pocket) a second chance, and it's a really cool game. But the folks online are godly compared to me. I think I'm doing good, and then when a game ends, they have six or seven completed routes to my three.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
THIS THREAD IS THE WORST IDEA EVER.

Jk. :p

On a more serious note, if i were you I'd put "contact Flunkie" before "contact Dash", because if people contact Dash to be added to the list, they're gonma have a baaaad time.

Pen&Paper Heroes and Arc Squadron count as November games, for all purposes, right? Too bad Borderland legends sucks, it could've been such an easy game of the month :( maybe with updates it'll be game of december... Lol

Smiley90

Oh, also, Great Big War Game is on sale! .99 instead of 2.99, the sequel to Great Little War Game, I recommend everyone get it now if you haven't already :) great "little/big" TBS title!

edit: last note, a reminder that iPod Touch 4g/5g support will be fixed in a patch that should be out any day now, waiting on Apple

Purchased and downloading now.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
THIS THREAD IS THE WORST IDEA EVER.

Jk. :p

On a more serious note, if i were you I'd put "contact Flunkie" before "contact Dash", because if people contact Dash to be added to the list, they're gonma have a baaaad time.

Pen&Paper Heroes and Arc Squadron count as November games, for all purposes, right? Too bad Borderland legends sucks, it could've been such an easy game of the month :( maybe with updates it'll be game of december... Lol

I thought carefully about Dash and Flunkie but I figured that maybe we can coax Dash back to the community if he gets enough annoying PMs :p and also, I don't know if Flunkie can add people to the list, that might be a Dash-only thing. It needs a new caretaker for sure though (I vote not me!)

P&PRPG and Arc Squadron are totes Nov games, they'll be in the OP very soon. For this month especially I don't think it's too important to be precious about release dates. As long as they get in the thread then all is good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I already miss "the old unweildy 200,000 post long megathreads." Now, I'll have to press the subscribe button at least once a month. That's too much work. :p

Anyway, still can't tear myself away from Elder Sign: Omens. Not sure why the game has such a hold over me. Also gave Ticket to Ride (Pocket) a second chance, and it's a really cool game. But the folks online are godly compared to me. I think I'm doing good, and then when a game ends, they have six or seven completed routes to my three.

Autosub when posting baby. awww yeah!

I keep seeing you all post about Elder Signs and I find it incredibly daunting. tbh I don't even know what genre it is :p Can you sum it up in 5 words or less?

Smiley90

I thought carefully about Dash and Flunkie but I figured that maybe we can coax Dash back to the community if he gets enough annoying PMs :p and also, I don't know if Flunkie can add people to the list, that might be a Dash-only thing. It needs a new caretaker for sure though (I vote not me!)

P&PRPG and Arc Squadron are totes Nov games, they'll be in the OP very soon. For this month especially I don't think it's too important to be precious about release dates. As long as they get in the thread then all is good.

The problem with Dash isn't that he appears to have left iOS GAF, it's that he appears to jabe left ALL of GAF. Last time I checked, his last post on GAF was from like August...

GeekyDad

Autosub when posting baby. awww yeah!

I keep seeing you all post about Elder Signs and I find it incredibly daunting. tbh I don't even know what genre it is :p Can you sum it up in 5 words or less?

:)

I guess I'd call it a (in five words or less) table-top game. The physical game comes with various types of cards that represent investigators, adventures, items, and a slew of other things, and your outcomes are determined by rolling dice. But each investigator has special abilities, making each investigator best suited to certain adventures. There's definitely a lot of luck involved, but there's also heavy strategy. It's got a great mood, though, which I think is the main thing I find attractive about it.

Almost beat Cthulhu this morning. But the -4 sanity each time you lose drove my entire team literally insane before I could best him.

Ninja Dom

Don't forget a great release from last week.

Dodonpachi Maximum

Vertical scrolling bullet hell shooter from Cave. Made especially for smartphones/tablets.

Smiley90

For everyone who likes Elder Sign, or those who want something like it but don't have an ipad (grrr), check out Necronomicon Redux! It's similar, albeit a lot smaller in scope i think. Someone can link it, I'm on my phone atm :p

For everyone who likes Elder Sign, or those who want something like it but don't have an ipad (grrr), check out Necronomicon Redux! It's similar, albeit a lot smaller in scope i think. Someone can link it, I'm on my phone atm :p

Smiley! It works on phones too.

Opening up this thread with a music game launch (lol)

Rhythmanix $0.99/$1.99 (down from $1.99/$5.99), iPhone/iPad (formerly Rhythmix) is now released and currently 50% off (33% off on iPad) for a limited time. The game is clearly "inspired" by DJ MAX Technika but has had its game system adjusted a bit after Pentavision took notice of it prior to its original planned release date back in August.

mzl.cvzcnxsm.480x480-75.jpg

Official trailer

holy shit that's busy.

Smiley90

Can someone who's played it give some more feedback on P&P Heroes apart from "you should try it" please? :p That's all I keep seeing lol

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Jed, got some art assets we might be able to re-use for these new treads. They were initially made for the OT5 OP that I had worked on that never was when Dash swooped in again with the recycling and then vanished(?).

Will PM you later.

Smiley90

probably not much more helpful, but did you look for any video reviews? perhaps on youtube?

I mostly want people to post here so other people can see it too, not (just) for myself. ;) that's what this thread is for, after all? I trust a gaffer review more than a random google/youtube result :D

Smiley90

Has anyone played Total War Battles: Shogun? I was just reading an article on Polygon about they're approach to the economics of iOS gaming, and if the game is any good I want to support them.

Here is the article: http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/1/35...-devs-battle-the-free-to-play-temptation-with

It's not bad. I've played it for a bit, it's... a lot like the Bloodshow games, if that helps? Think Plants vs Zombies with you being able to move your plants forward. Or so. Very simply speaking.

I'd probably wait for a sale (what is it, like 7 bucks?), but it's definitely not bad.

sladeums

Has anyone played Total War Battles: Shogun? I was just reading an article on Polygon about they're approach to the economics of iOS gaming, and if the game is any good I want to support them.

Here is the article: http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/1/35...-devs-battle-the-free-to-play-temptation-with

Reminds me of a mash up of Bloodshow and Command and Conquer.
There's a FREE lite version

Total War Battles Free
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id524052474?mt=8

It's not bad. I've played it for a bit, it's... a lot like the Bloodshow games, if that helps? Think Plants vs Zombies with you being able to move your plants forward. Or so. Very simply speaking.

I'd probably wait for a sale (what is it, like 7 bucks?), but it's definitely not bad.

Well, based on what was said in the article, I don't think it will go on sale soon, if at all. Thanks for the quick impression though.

Reminds me of a mash up of Bloodshow and Command and Conquer.
There's a FREE lite version

Total War Battles Free
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id524052474?mt=8

Oh, I'll check this out, thanks.

Smiley90

Well, based on what was said in the article, I don't think it will go on sale soon, if at all. Thanks for the quick impression though.

Oh, I'll check this out, thanks.

It was on sale for 1.99 before... Just saying. Didn't read the article though :p

Just found out that the Rhythmanix release is only for regions Pentavision holds the gameplay patent (US/UK/KR/JP I hear). Other regions have Rhythmix, with the Technika copycat gameplay intact. Wow.

Li Kao

I'm still enjoying Guardian Cross. It's fun to see how far you can progress in the colosseum without hitting a complete wall. There isn't much to the game on the surface, but there is actually a good amount of strategy behind how you stack your deck and teach your guys abilities.

Use my invite if you're gonna check it out OR79712 You get a bonus card (and I get one too if 6 more people use that)

I truly don't know where I stand about this game. I have been playing it for the last 12 days, it surely means there is something to it, but I would be hard pressed to advise anybody to play it.
I, I don't even know if one can 'play' it.

This is a card battle game with automatic battles. Odd, but hey...
It is wrapped in IAP and to me the buying scale goes directly from worthless to relatively steep.
The writing is plain stupid.
And the card art is good.

So I look at the beautiful art (something a lot of this type of game sorely lacks), I amass new cards, and my ocd / reptilian mind is ok with that. Really, I play it for what it is, no big problem with the product, but...
Maybe I'm too stupid but I don't really see the strategic layers you mention about stacking order and abilities, and above all, this is for me the absolute definition of a pay to win experience : I win every colosseum battles then... go up against a player that has been grinding some cards like crazy to be 10-20 levels above mines, or who has somehow got his hands on a serie of fabulous rare cards, and I get destroyed. No shit, Sherlock ?

I'm in no way saying you are wrong in your opinion, I just would like to catch this hidden coolness some people seem to have found. For me it's an ocd time waster, I check my Tiny Tower and then my Guardian Cross, but there is nothing really involving me here.

Evidently I can't speak about high level. There is potential for strategy here (or IAP crazyness).

Since this is a new thread I'm going to reply to something from the other thread in here.

I started playing again and now I'm kinda hooked. The game mechanics took a while to get used to it's sort of like and endless runner so you're not supposed to get very far at first. The learning curve is way too steep.
But the music and that little flip move he does to get out of bed never gets old.

Yeah, I was definitely surprised with the learning curve. Not that I have a problem with a game that has a steep one but I went into that game expecting something much more simpler, and combine that with not being rushed and it was definitely off-putting. I'm going to go back and give it another try.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
That was probably me!
I'm so happy this is getting localised too.
I hope they keep the Crystal Defenders/Final Fantasy tie-up the game currently has in Japan:
http://app.famitsu.com/20121101_105275/
Also, this game has really strange TVCMs http://youtu.be/W0OSLgYAbXA
I went back to search and it was you indeed! It was when you pointed out Angel Salvation was a bit of a rip-off of Puzzle & Dragons. I also hope they keep that Final Fantasy tie, it's funny considering the reason why I'm interested in the first place was because of the similar mini-game from SE's Imaginary Range.

That commercial reminds me of those live-action Dragon Quest ads, haha.

Zzoram

Pocket Frogs update after over a year of no updates. Plus+ removed, GameCenter added it seems. Also 46 new frog breeds and iPhone 5 support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom