• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread: November 2012 A Bold New Era!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought ARC Squadron and the swipe one touch controls are a perfect fit. Oh and it looks incredible. I definitely recommend it at a cool 99 cents.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Where you at, Phoenix Wright HD?

GeekyDad

For everyone who likes Elder Sign, or those who want something like it but don't have an ipad (grrr), check out Necronomicon Redux! It's similar, albeit a lot smaller in scope i think. Someone can link it, I'm on my phone atm :p

Was considering it, but it seems to have mixed reviews. I'm guessing it's pretty cheap, so I might as well take a chance. I'm kinda up for more Lovecraftian mythology.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Got all Lums in Rayman, only need to beat the Mister Death stages now. After that I'm done, I won't be going to 100% the achievements with this one because:

e2gT2.png

A perfect run without dying, retrying or missing a single Lum... Yeah, no.

Let me check, because im sure theres a portuguese version.

Hey SmokeyDave this is your song.
It looks like it's for the PT store. Would be nice if it popped up in the BR store eventually, there were some games that took a while to appear like Scribblenauts Remix. It doesn't happen to many games but I suspect it's usually due to different companies holding the local licenses to the thing. GTA3 and Max Payne are also unavailable on iTunes here and both were released officially in the country on years prior for PC and such (thankfully I managed to snatch both from the US Store though freemyapps + an US account).

Fuu

This is the BR store right?

I make iOS game but i dont have a clue how it works. IM NO GOOD WITH COMPUTERS!
Fuck, I'm an idiot. It's called Hora de Aventura here and I kept searching for Adventure Time. Thanks!

edit: in my defense, it's actually a separate app with a different store ID (id553587942 instead of id561001269). Usually the same link will work on every store when clicked, but it's not the case with this one.

Bumhead

Banned
Any impressions of Lili?

Never heard of it before this thread but it looks gorgeous. If there's substance behind the style I'll buy it.

Got all Lums in Rayman, only need to beat the Mister Death stages now. After that I'm done, I won't be going to 100% the achievements with this one because:

e2gT2.png

A perfect run without dying, retrying or missing a single Lum... Yeah, no.

I could be wrong, and I don't really care about achievements so I won't be finding out for myself, but it doesn't say you have to collect ALL of the Lums. The way it's worded makes it sound like you could just play the first level 36 times if you wanted to.

Any impressions of Lili?

Never heard of it before this thread but it looks gorgeous. If there's substance behind the style I'll buy it.

I only played about an hour or so of it, but I'd say it definitely lacks any substance. Besides walking around and exploring, the main gameplay is jumping on the backs of wooden spirit guys and defeating them by pulling flowers off of their backs by swiping, while avoiding pulling bombs that damage you. There's really not much to it and I got bored pretty quick, it's much more exciting as a tech demo than on its own terms.

If you can get it on sale though it is pretty neat to just walk around, it does look amazing and control surprisingly well for an iPad game (other games like Horn and Infinity Blade look similar but Lilli is the only one that isn't on rails). Just don't expect anything too complex gameplay-wise to match the visuals.

Fuu

I could be wrong, and I don't really care about achievements so I won't be finding out for myself, but it doesn't say you have to collect ALL of the Lums. The way it's worded makes it sound like you could just play the first level 36 times if you wanted to.
Hmm, wouldn't pressing the restart button at the end of the level count as a retry? If it's like you said then it's not as bad. I'll try it with a similar achievement (500 Lums in one run).

I enjoy going after achievements in mobile games as another excuse to keep playing, and most of the time they're just a few, fun and doable. Hopefully this one isn't straight up bullshit like I thought it was.

edit: yeah, it does count as a retry. Oh well.

Hmm, wouldn't pressing the restart button at the end of the level count as a retry? If it's like you said then it's not as bad. I'll try it with a similar achievement (500 Lums in one run).

I enjoy going after achievements in mobile games as another excuse to keep playing, and most of the time they're just a few, fun and doable. Hopefully this one isn't straight up bullshit like I thought it was.

edit: yeah, it does count as a retry. Oh well.

I would try it by hitting back and reselecting the level, not hitting the reset button.

Meier

Pocket Frogs update after over a year of no updates. Plus+ removed, GameCenter added it seems. Also 46 new frog breeds and iPhone 5 support.

I noticed the icon was different. The purple definitely caught my eye!

Interesting seeing that image posted on page 1 with the exposure, etc. fiddled with. Has a bit of an old school RPG look but with a Tower Defense component perhaps? I see it tracks the number of remaining mobs.

mjc

Whats with that new sit at the table rpg? I need some GAF opinions.

Pen and Paper? I'm not too far into it yet but I'm digging it quite a bit. You basically get to dictate what quests you go on depending on what you need. You simultaneously play as the DM and the questers at the same time. The battles play out in traditional turn-based style, but they're pretty decent.

The thing I like best about it though is the character creation. You can use several different character types (The little brother, an alien, the hipster, the rocker, etc) and fit them into any class of your choosing. The catch is that the character types have attribute bonuses built in which can help out if you choose the right class. (For example, I've got an alien who has a bonus which allows for mana regen...so I made him a mage.)

Overall, it plays it pretty safe. At least in regards to the RPG mechanics it uses. Its the way it implements them that makes it pretty entertaining.

SuperPac

We just released Heads Up! Hot Dogs today on the app store. It's an arcade-style high score chase game where you (naturally) place hot dogs on people's heads as they walk/run past for points. Seven stages, each with their own environmental hazards to deal with and cops who'll shoot the hot dogs off your victims' heads unless you disable them by placing a wiener on THEIR head.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/heads-up!-hot-dogs/id557891567?mt=8

It's 99c straight up, no IAP.

Fuu

I would try it by hitting back and reselecting the level, not hitting the reset button.
Doesn't seem to work either, but thanks for the idea. I wonder if there will be a single poor soul who will try to go after that one without hacks.

wilflare

and Polara finally got its iPhone5 update approved and released
plenty of games to play :)

i find myself drawn to those games with insane pixel art.
anyone tried Knights of Pen and Paper?

bonesquad

Girls Like Robots 79p, Universal
I wont lie, I have no idea about this game. But it's published by Adult Swim and they're ace. Try it, tell me why it's good.

Why? Because it's one of those rare apps that manages to be both charming and a good game. I'm not a fan of puzzle platformers or similar games, but GLR mixes up its single screen puzzles enough that the basic concept stays fresh over its 100+ puzzles.

Wait...What is Lili doing in the OP!!! That game came out in September. Shenanigans! You let that in and you need to let in Rayman Run, Bad Piggies...And I got yelled at:(

Wait...What is Lili doing in the OP!!! That game came out in September. Shenanigans! You let that in and you need to let in Rayman Run, Bad Piggies...And I got yelled at:(

Beyond this, are all of this thread's releases for the month of November to be repeated in the next thread (so every thread has to cover a two month period by the time it ends)?

VARIA

Just came in just to say Knights of Pen & Paper is so good. Oozing with charm and excellent presentation.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing the Jurassic park builder game and i connected through Facebook but for some reason I have friends who are playing the game not showing up in my friends list. How do I get them on there?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Beyond this, are all of this thread's releases for the month of November to be repeated in the next thread (so every thread has to cover a two month period by the time it ends)?

No, just this month and really only because people asked for it. In future posters can have free reign to feature whatever they like in the OP.

gazele

Banned
Seems too complicated. I don't want to design my own RPG missions.

From what I've played of it its really not that complicated.

This could be wrong but I don't think you create the quests, mostly just pick which quests to do at which time and also how many enemies to face at once, which basically just changes the difficulty.

Shaneus

ehhhhh, I really don't know if I can be arsed :p I'm english, so it shows me english prices. Next thread if a NZ or Aus person gets it then they're welcome to use Aus dollas too if they like. America is not the world, let's stop treating them like they are! haha
It's all good! Was less of a complaint and more of a mild suggestion. I'm all for making those damn Yankees do some maths ;)

We just released Heads Up! Hot Dogs today on the app store. It's an arcade-style high score chase game where you (naturally) place hot dogs on people's heads as they walk/run past for points. Seven stages, each with their own environmental hazards to deal with and cops who'll shoot the hot dogs off your victims' heads unless you disable them by placing a wiener on THEIR head.

Can't get enough of those Adult Swim games.

Will pick this up later, I saw the trailer months ago and laughed, then saw it again last night and laughed some more!

PittaGAF

I confess I was skeptical (more because I was fond of the old thread) about this monthly thread but I was plain wrong: turned out to be really great and useful, both for regulars posters/lurkers and new people.
Thanks to anyone involved for the work, really appreciated.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
ARC Squadron or galaxy on fire 2?

I haven't played them both, but aren't they different genres? Galaxy on Fire 2 is a full-fledged space action game/simulation, while arc squadron looks more like a more "simple" space shooter... No?

Also, both! Galaxy on Fire 2 looks and plays amazingly.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
impressions of stuff!

Sooo, Knights of Pen and Paper is a little bit hard if you leave that first town too early, just got my party wiped, and I have no money to res them : will be more careful next time! I love the presentation and style to the game though, it's really unique. I wouldn't mind this approach adopted by other devs and maybe handled with a more serious tone, the storytelling style of the game is cool.

Next, Arc Squadron. I fucking love it, straight up. Starfox is one of my very favourite games so this is right up my alley. It's beautiful and controls as well as I could expect. It looks like its going to get very hard because the second batch of levels is kicking my arse but I really like what this game is doing so far. Here's hoping the levels stay fresh and it doesn't get too hard. Also, is it me or is the barrel roll not deflecting shots? That's the whole idea of a barrel roll man!

And lastly, I saw a game on TA yesterday called Zombiewood and for a moment, I thought it might just be the first Gameloft game worth a shit. It's a freemium twin stick zombie shooter which, while not exactly original is still a good start. At first glance the art is really really good. The game has a great visual style, very cartoony and distinct. But unfortunately the frame rate is dogs hit, seriously Dark10x would actually froth at the mouth if he played it. And then the FUCKING CONTROLS are at the bottom of the FUCKING SCREEN. Yeah. Close, Gameloft, very close. But if you're going to copy Age of Zombies then also copy the flawless controls while you're at it.

Actually, I may put a control rant in the OP as my unique spin for the thread :p FUCK BOTTOM SCREEN IPAD CONTROLS!

:lol

Jedeye, you should add a section with 'updates' on Baldur's Gate, Ghost Recon, and Infinity Blades: Dungeons that say we don't have a fucking clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom