• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming |Thread5| From Zero to Gaming Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFD

So I finally got around to playing Summoner Wars. It's the first game i play of this kind (card game), and it's good... really good! It's like playing Chess, but a LOT more involving.

How different is Ascension? I noticed (from screenshots) that it doesnt have a map like SW.

heringer

Since match 3 games are all the rage again, you guys should definitely check out Angel Salvation. It's a match 3 puzzle RPG, kinda like 1000000 and Dungeon Raid, but more fleshed out and with a better presentation. You basically pick a hero and build a team, going through dungeons fighting monsters, etc. You can level up and evolve your hero and the rest of your team. Kinda like Pokemon, heh.

The match mechanics are very unique. It requires a little thought to perform combos. Haven't played a ton of the game yet, but it's fun so far. Here's the only video I found. Notice how the player is carrying the gen through specific paths to form combos. Very satisfying to pull of. It's my favorite match 3 mechanic so far.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XuelhwXARXo

There is one annoying downside, which is the requirement of being connected to play. Translation is a little off too.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/angel-salvation/id547867933?mt=8

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'd see more incentive in Zookeeper Battle's IAP if it was like this:

- Keep the normal consumable bottle that fills the bar, but also have a Super Power Bottle that reduces the charge time from 30m to the initial 6m - or removes it altogether, but like I said I don't see this happening (to anyone confused by this 30m talk, the raise will happen eventually and the game prompts about it from time to time. 6m is a launch thing).
- The Shuffle, Brush and Red Wine boost items should be permanent purchases. They don't mess with the balance and the limitation of only being able to use one type each round is enough.

Their general idea for the purchases is ok but consumable IAP is just a big no to me. As things stand I can't see a reason to buy any of those things and I honestly want to give the devs my monies because the game is great.

PFD

I'd see more incentive in Zookeeper Battle's IAP if it was like this:

- Keep the normal consumable bottle that fills the bar, but also have a Super Power Bottle that reduces the charge time from 30m to the initial 6m - or removes it altogether, but like I said I don't see this happening (to anyone confused by this 30m talk, the raise will happen eventually and the game prompts about it from time to time. 6m is a launch thing).
- The Shuffle, Brush and Red Wine boost items should be permanent purchases. They don't mess with the balance and the limitation of only being able to use one type each round is enough.

Their general idea for the purchases is ok but consumable IAP is just a big no to me. As things stand I can't see a reason to buy any of those things and I honestly want to give the devs my monies because the game is great.

I didnt look at the IAPs, but is there one that refills your hp mid-battle? One of my opponents recovered from 5% to 50% and proceeded to break my streak. I deleted the app in frustration.

Fuu

I didnt look at the IAPs, but is there one that refills your hp mid-battle? One of my opponents recovered from 5% to 50% and proceeded to break my streak. I deleted the app in frustration.
Thankfully, no IAP for health. That's a random item drop that happens mid-game in the form of a tile. As far as I know it can only drop once per round (same thing with the boss and bucket tiles). The health tile is the only one that can really change the course of the battle to me, but even then the person who recovered has to play well in that round for it to do any real good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So I finally got around to playing Summoner Wars. It's the first game i play of this kind (card game), and it's good... really good! It's like playing Chess, but a LOT more involving.

How different is Ascension? I noticed (from screenshots) that it doesnt have a map like SW.

Yuuup, so good we are doing a tournament of it right now in the iOS board game thread. :D

Ascension is way different. It's a "deckbuilding" game where you start out with a bit of currency and use it to buy cards to shuffle into your deck to make it stronger and stronger. It's quite good but totally different.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Aw man, 30 minutes is the normal recharge rate? That'd suck

It should just be a full game unlock or something, I'd do it

atre324

The perils of a non-tactile touch display:

Just suffered some awkward iPad and finger slippage, and accidentally spent 6 flooz (needlessly) expanding the mountain in Happy Street. Will probably set back my street expansion plans a whole two days! Gutted. Pepin's offers of precious flooz for various bits and pieces seem to be drying up a little, too.

I actually went ahead with both of the 8 flooz expansions for the forest and the mountain, to keep up with buildings and upgrades and crafting. Plus, they have said they plan to add buildings for both areas in future updates, so it doesn't hurt to give yourself some room.

I'm actually gaining Flooz pretty quickly these days, ever since they added the confirmation message I don't accidentally spend it at all anymore. Between my Friend list, lucky spin (I've gotten 15 twice on my phone but never on ipad lol), deals, and Fortune Wheel (I've heard you shouldn't upgrade this to level 3, because it increases restock time) I probably gain at least 8 or 9 Flooz a day, and that's not including Dungeon.

I have definitely noticed "streaks" where you don't get a flooz reward for Pepin's deals, I kinda wonder if they have a limit on how many flooz you can get from deals in a certain time period. I usually just do them for the gold (saving up for 1001 Nights Palace!) or let the shorter ones expire until the Flooz comes back.

The Dungeon game is probably the best way to make flooz now that it gives out one every time you restock, assuming you can get to level 8. I haven't gotten a chance to test out whether or not you have unlimited time to make moves (then you could just write the sequence down) but I am pretty good at getting to level 8 most of the time just memorizing in my head. I left my Dungeon at level 1 so it restocks pretty often. I haven't kept count of how many Flooz I get a day from it, but it's definitely the best source so far.

Since Happy Street got me addicted on both my droid and ipad (sucks playing 2 versions but oh well) I decided to support the devs and buy 5 bucks worth of Flooz on my ipad, since they had a sale. Not really sure what I want to spend it on (besides expansions), but I did buy a Taxi Stand, which gives you a big spender to pretty much buy out one of your stores every 5 minutes. It's nice when they go to the Fortune Wheel or Dungeon and give you an immediate shot at free Flooz.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, just loving the game still. I hear they're adding neat stuff in upgrades coming up, really can't wait to see what they put in. They definitely need to fix some stuff like crafting time (Workshop should be upgradeable, or let you buy more than 1). Ugh, and they should add a combo item for the bakery/toy shop!

Those Puzzle Craft horror stories are scary, I'm almost done with the game too. D:

On an unrelated note, I think I've hit the boredom wall in Happy Street :( These games really aren't for me or I just played too much Tiny Tower.

Anybody playing Little Ninja Rush? How can you get the other weapons?

Goli

Since match 3 games are all the rage again, you guys should definitely check out Angel Salvation. It's a match 3 puzzle RPG, kinda like 1000000 and Dungeon Raid, but more fleshed out and with a better presentation. You basically pick a hero and build a team, going through dungeons fighting monsters, etc. You can level up and evolve your hero and the rest of your team. Kinda like Pokemon, heh.

The match mechanics are very unique. It requires a little thought to perform combos. Haven't played a ton of the game yet, but it's fun so far. Here's the only video I found. Notice how the player is carrying the gen through specific paths to form combos. Very satisfying to pull of. It's my favorite match 3 mechanic so far.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XuelhwXARXo

There is one annoying downside, which is the requirement of being connected to play. Translation is a little off too.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/angel-salvation/id547867933?mt=8

*gasp*
Remember this post I made? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39985591&postcount=17754
Well, Angel Salvation is a total rip-off of that. Which is good and bad, in a way, I guess.

*reads about Angel Salvation*

fuck you guys :(

*buys Angel Salvation*

my one true weakness, match 3 puzzle RPGs!

what is that 1000000 game everybody is talking about? No please, don't tell me.
please do!

Fuu

For curiosity's sake, SE's interactive comic Imaginary Range also has a mini-game similar to Puzzle & Dragons and Angel Salvation called Sphere Bounce, although it plays differently:

XeRF7.jpg

Found myself playing it for a couple of days and it was fun, good to know there are feature-complete games like this on the store.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
What's the consensus in eternity warriors 2?

I played the first 5 or so levels today. It's a pretty mindless dungeon crawler with loot that you can upgrade as well as a skill tree. It looks good and runs well. It's really not a bad game, especially for the price of free.

Shaneus

I didn't notice one, but yeah, I've found that the randomness of the powerups can be frustrating. Also, some time someone managed to kill me in the first round!

If they at least had the same blocks for each player in each round (even just the starting ones) it'd be a lot more balanced, but it's pretty obvious that some battles are going to be one-sided by how many power-ups you/your opponent gets.

Mrbob

Mikey Shorts is pretty, pretty, pretty good. Doesn't seem very long but that is ok it is only 99 cents. Extremely solid controls for a touch screen only platformer.

bdouble

While downloading the Galaxy on Fire 2 demo for my 4s I saw a game called Dangerous with sort of the same premise of a space opera rpg epic type game. I've been around the this thread for quite some time and have yet to see or find much info on it at all.

From what little there is on the internet people are saying a bit more depth than GoF2 and a bit more EVE like. Anyone here bought the full game? What do you think? Anyways there is a demo and I've been playing it and well seems a bit intense so far.

http://itunes.apple.com/en/app/dangerous/id351211190?mt=8

Trailer here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9PdXSh6MXQ

While downloading the Galaxy on Fire 2 demo for my 4s I saw a game called Dangerous with sort of the same premise of a space opera rpg epic type game. I've been around the this thread for quite some time and have yet to see or find much info on it at all.

Anyone here bought the full game? What do you think?

http://itunes.apple.com/en/app/dange...351211190?mt=8

hmmmm game looks cool. That icon made me think it was a RE4 clone :p

So many virtual buttons though... doesn't seem like its gonna control well on iphone.

oipic

The Dungeon game is probably the best way to make flooz now that it gives out one every time you restock, assuming you can get to level 8. I haven't gotten a chance to test out whether or not you have unlimited time to make moves (then you could just write the sequence down) but I am pretty good at getting to level 8 most of the time just memorizing in my head. I left my Dungeon at level 1 so it restocks pretty often. I haven't kept count of how many Flooz I get a day from it, but it's definitely the best source so far.

Thanks for this info, atre - said dungeon game will be the next thing I build now, methinks (as soon as I've replenished flooz stocks enough to expand again - next expansion is going to cost 22 of the precious little things, seemingly).

Have hit level 19, which I think is the cap at the moment? Still much yet to build and upgrade, but I'm also looking forward to seeing what is eventually added - I hope you're right about new buildings for the mountain, I still cringe every time I look at the vast, open expanses of it since that accidental expansion. :)

oipic

When is that introduced. I just completed the Mountain area recently, and I have heard of the Dungeon thing, but don't see it in the game yet.

What level are you up to, and what businesses are currently available to you?

I can't recall at which level the dungeon becomes available, but after the bakery, toy shop and hydromel (if that helps).

Lunchbox

Banned
quick hardware question

anyone who used both 3gs and 4, is the home button on the 4 a little less sensitive than the 3gs? ive been using the 3gs for the most part and this 4 i got, it seems you have to press a bit harder. it like makes a click unlike the 3gs.

not sure if its just my set or just all 4/4s'

Mik2121

So... I got a new iPad after being without one for the last year. I've had an iPhone so I got all the iPhone/iPad titles, but I know I have missed a bunch of iPad-only games, or games that just play way better on the iPad. Can you guys recommend me some?

Right now the "big" games I have installed:

- Jubeat Plus
- Reflec Beat Plus (LOVE it)
- Zookeeper Battle
- Carcassonne
- M.A.M.C
- Jetpack Joyride
- InfinityBlade 2
- AC Recollection
- Bit.Trip BLITZ
- Monster Life
- ShadowGun (meh...)
- Kick Flick Football
- AnotherWorld
- NOVA 3 (and 2)
- Yoot Tower
- Infinity Blade
- Duke Nukem 3D (...)
- Gasketball

Got a few other small games that aren't all that good (some of the ones I listed above aren't either...), but I know I've missed a lot of stuff from the last 12 months, so yeah... go ahead and help me out! :D

ToxicAdam

Got a few other small games that aren't all that good (some of the ones I listed above aren't either...), but I know I've missed a lot of stuff from the last 12 months, so yeah... go ahead and help me out! :D

Ski Safari
Kingdom Rush
Adventure Bar Story
New Star Soccer
Pinball Arcade
Reckless Racing 2
Waking Mars
Swordigo
Hunters 2
Lost Winds 2

That's a terrific list, if I do say so myself.

Azriell

I have the same question. I grew tired of doing what I thought was pretty well, only to be annihilated for unknown reasons. Life is too short for this kind of frustration. Deleted.

I'm quickly arriving at the same point as well. A lot of times I feel like I did really good, but my numbers aren't that high, or more commonly, the other guy ends up doing much better. But what's worse is getting a winning streak going, and then being matched against a top tier player who has some huge streak. Or getting creamed because the other guy gets a shit ton of powerups (in a game earlier, the other guy got zookeeper, then dirt and zookeeper, and the heart, dirt and zookeeper. I got nothing).

I think the base formula is genius. I love the way you each play your own game and then compare, as opposed to the more typical real time battle with garbage blocks. I also love Zookeeper I'm general. However, there are just too many little things. The 2 CP cap is stupid. The cost of CP charges is way too high, especially for how much it let's you play. The IAP powerups are waaaay too expensive and not nearly useful enough. There aren't enough customize options (at least as far as I can tell) and these are really where they should have focused IAP on.

And then there's the CP recharge taking 30 minutes. Limiting me to 2 games an hour will quickly kill this for me. I guess now I just hope for someone to take this formula and do something better with it.

Shaneus

Guys, make sure if you like it you at least buy the original Zookeeper (which I assume is still on the app store). It's a great single-player game, but the powerups in the vs. one just kill it.

PS. I've asked before, but is anyone else having problems getting updates from the app store? Mine just says "cannot connect" even though there's a badge that says 9 apps are waiting to be updated.

xJavonta

Banned
Is there any way I can delete my Zookeeper Battle account? I want to start fresh, I've played like 10 games and lost every single one lol

I have the same question. I grew tired of doing what I thought was pretty well, only to be annihilated for unknown reasons. Life is too short for this kind of frustration. Deleted.
For me it's like League of Legends. I REALLY want to like it, but for some reason I'm just not good at it which makes it really difficult to go on.

Shaneus

Don't put *too* much time into it. At least, until the fix for the bug that completely wipes your entire game without warning is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom