• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming |Thread5| From Zero to Gaming Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicAdam

World Ends With You is $20, there's no demo to try it out, and they couldn't even bother with universal support for something this pricey.

What an arrogant company.

Ehh .. they're just milking the hardcore fans. They will drop the price to something more reasonable once they get them all.

NYCrooner

Square is second only to Sega in absolutely milking it's fanbase with re-releases. None of the iOS re-releases are worth the price of admission.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
no what are you doing

And not only that, I already owned it on DS so I'm double dipping at that price!

image.php

GeekyDad

World Ends With You is $20, there's no demo to try it out, and they couldn't even bother with universal support for something this pricey.

Well, it is Square Enix. Arrogance is kinda their calling card.

But yeah, at the very least they should have made it universal with iCloud support. I absolutely think the game is worth the $20, but they're kind of pulling a Nintendo here.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
And not only that, I already owned it on DS so I'm double dipping at that price!

image.php
Same here, but iPhone version so $18. Even though I agree that the lack of universal version sucks, I had no qualms buying it at this price when it's a product I think it's worth it (still thankful they didn't go completely nuts like separating the game in chapters and pulling an FF Dimensions with the price though).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So looking at the package contents of the iPhone and iPad versions of TWEWY, it appears to be the same except they signed each binary to only work on iPhone and iPad respectively.

Pretty shitty S-E.

Fuu

So looking at the package contents of the iPhone and iPad versions of TWEWY, it appears to be the same except they signed each binary to only work on iPhone and iPad respectively.

Pretty shitty S-E.
Damn, that's pretty absurd of them. I wonder if there's any way to flip the switch in the .ipa without having to jailbreak, sort of like people made those tweaks on GTA3? I'm not very familiar with these workarounds.

I'm glad this sort of screwing around isn't the norm but all the iCloud saving issues and universal app shenanigans make me feel inclined to keep my iPhone as my main iOS-gaming device even after I get an iPad down the road (also because I play "on the go" a lot).

Apparently the Squaresoft's tax is well lubricated and enters easily! lol
Feels good man! But yeah, this is one of those games to me.

Fuu

for TWEWY, should I go for iphone or ipad?

I have the new ipad so I am worried the game will look less sharp, jaggy.

how does twewy run on iphone 4?
Runs and plays good on iPhone 4. I guess YMMV with the gameplay depending on your fingers, I personally haven't had trouble and it hasn't got in the way of the game. I'm still on the first week, so I'm not sure how it will be when things get more hectic. I just got the ability to chain battles and this is the point where things get more interesting on that front. So far so good.

The game is still fun with the new partner system, you're still able to make constant use of your partner for maximum damage and specials. It doesn't feel like a concession if you keep an open mind or if you never played the DS version, but yeah, avoid if you feel you'll get an aneurysm with the lack of second screen. That difference aside, everything else that's awesome about the game is still there. I can't wait to get further where it opens up even more, although even if I'm used to everything I still love the way it unravels the mechanics.

It looks great on the iPhone imo, but it's not iPad-retina so it most likely doesn't look so hot there.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I picked up Zombies, run! earlier. I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, but I grabbed a bunch of mp3s to try it with so I'm really looking forward to giving it a shot (hopefully tomorrow).

Seems like they have big plans for it, including both free and pay expansions.

Mrbob

I don't know why I let these low prices sucker me in. I did it again, let Shameloft get the best of me and bought NOVA 3. Game stutters like crazy on my ipad 3 (in ipad 2 mode no less), and instead of ripping off Halo it looks like they ripped off Crysis this time. Well whatever it is only 99 cents but I should really stop supporting this company. Another pile of shame to toss into the trash bin.

Finished the Mikey Shorts campaign. Short but sweet. A little too easy. World 6 is the best because there is some challenge to it. Speaking of challenge, now heading into the challenge mode in this game!

Goli

So I ended up hijacking a certain person I know's iPhone to play TWEWY, is anyone making a thread for it? If not I'll bust one up real quick :3.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
I don't know why I let these low prices sucker me in. I did it again, let Shameloft get the best of me and bought NOVA 3. Game stutters like crazy on my ipad 3 (in ipad 2 mode no less), and instead of ripping off Halo it looks like they ripped off Crysis this time. Well whatever it is only 99 cents but I should really stop supporting this company. Another pile of shame to toss into the trash bin.

Finished the Mikey Shorts campaign. Short but sweet. A little too easy. World 6 is the best because there is some challenge to it. Speaking of challenge, now heading into the challenge mode in this game!

Hmmmm..... Plays silky smooth and looks great on my iPad 3. Just FYI ......

I feel the same but the game was worth one dollar for the crazy graphics alone. It will be my iOS gaming showcase for friends disbelievers who think handeld gaming = 3DS, Vita while iOS gaming = Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja.

ONE DOLLAR. It's almost nothing.

Chinner

Banned
im still playing the first level of nova 3 and these are my impressions:

* it stutters like fuck on a 4s (mentioned above)
* controls are poop (compared to MC3 which was pretty decent, and especially to dead trigger)

so er yeah i guess im happy i only paid 69p on it, but i'll give it more of a chance to see if i change my mind cause MC3 was pretty fun actually. still think dead trigger has done an amazing job of fps controls on a touch screen though. more developers should copy that.

heringer

isn't there one for it already?

The announcement thread? That's not an OT, and that topic is beyond salvation for people who want to discuss the game.

Hmmmm..... Plays silky smooth and looks great on my iPad 3. Just FYI ......

Not trying to be condescending, but the game doesn't run silky smooth on any device. You probably just isn't very sensitive to bad framerate.

xJavonta

Banned
I really need a new iPod touch for my music. I'm thinking of going 64gb so I can have both games and music on it, but the current iPod touches don't play some games, right?

Flunkie

Banned
im still playing the first level of nova 3 and these are my impressions:

* it stutters like fuck on a 4s (mentioned above)
* controls are poop (compared to MC3 which was pretty decent, and especially to dead trigger)

so er yeah i guess im happy i only paid 69p on it, but i'll give it more of a chance to see if i change my mind cause MC3 was pretty fun actually. still think dead trigger has done an amazing job of fps controls on a touch screen though. more developers should copy that.

I feel the same way. Is no one else getting the stuttering?

soldat7

What's the skinny on the Spectromancer in app purchases?

Not sure. I think you have to unlock the option to buy them.

But wait folks. That's not all! You can't play the iPhone version on the iPad and no Retina support! How cool is that!

out of curiosity, ios devs, in what situations is making 2 separate versions of an app vs 'universal' a good move?

Charge more for iPad one

OR

When you believe the number of people that will double-dip > number of people turned off by it not being universal.

OR

When you believe the number people turned off by an even more gigantic file size of universal app > people turned off by it not being universal.

Flunkie

Banned
So, is this like an iOS escape velocity nova? If so... Me am happy.

Yeah, to an extent. I tried the Eve 14-day trial awhile back and really liked the concept but was too complicated in the end for me to keep playing. I tried Space Miner and really wanted more meat to the game. This is the perfect medium. It's like an Eve 4x-lite

It's awesome once you get the hang of it. (At first it can be kind of weird due to no real instructions with the buying/selling UI in the stations.)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I can actually see the value of Square selling their game for $20, as it gets people out of the headspace of every game needing to cost .99¢-free. It is a fully fledged game that deserves a proper pricetag....which should've been $9.99 to $14.99, don't know what they're smoking for it to be worth $20.

The arrogance to me is ignoring universal support for all their games, like they're really banking on people buying their games twice. Someone mentioned you can't even play the iPhone version on iPad, is that even possible?

heringer

I can actually see the value of Square selling their game for $20, as it gets people out of the headspace of every game needing to cost .99¢-free. It is a fully fledged game that deserves a proper pricetag....which should've been $9.99 to $14.99, don't know what they're smoking for it to be worth $20.

The arrogance to me is ignoring universal support for all their games, like they're really banking on people buying their games twice. Someone mentioned you can't even play the iPhone version on iPad, is that even possible?

Word on the street (TouchArcade) is that they do it by checking the camera flash, and apparently that's against Apple's dev license.

3.3.5 An Application must have at least the same features and functionality when run by a user in compatibility mode on an iPad (e.g., an iPhone app running in an equivalent iPhone-size window on an iPad must perform in substantially the same manner as when run on the iPhone;provided that this obligation will not apply to any feature or functionality that is not supported by a particular hardware device, such as a video recording feature on a device that does not have a camera). Further, You agree not to interfere or attempt to interfere with the operation of Your Application in compatibility mode

http://www.scribd.com/doc/57624048/iOS-Developer-Program-License-Agreement-2011-06-06

Ministration

Neo Member
out of curiosity, ios devs, in what situations is making 2 separate versions of an app vs 'universal' a good move?

Some devs would justify it when creating a universal version makes the app go over 50MB, which means that players won't be able to download their game over 3G = lower chance of capturing the "impulse buy" market, which is important when you're marketing a casual game.

This occurred with Run Roo Run, for example. I also believe that the dev was slammed for this right here on GAF and accused of making folks double dip; an accusation which I think is unfair, IMO.

SQ-EX is probably getting a free pass from Apple, but let's see if anyone bothers to raise a ruckus on the matter.

dream

Wizorb, which I thought was nigh-unplayable, just got a patch that adds a d-pad to the town level. Unfortunately, it's almost as if the guys who ported it thought "fuck you, you're getting the worst virtual d-pad anyone has ever made."

soldat7

Some devs would justify it when creating a universal version makes the app go over 50MB, which means that players won't be able to download their game over 3G = lower chance of capturing the "impulse buy" market, which is important when you're marketing a casual game.

This occurred with Run Roo Run, for example. I also believe that the dev was slammed for this right here on GAF and accused of making folks double dip; an accusation which I think is unfair, IMO.

SQ-EX is probably getting a free pass from Apple, but let's see if anyone bothers to raise a ruckus on the matter.

Oh please. Who downloads a 50MB game over 3G anyway? It's buttslow and with asinine data rates, not a smart move to boot.

Double dipping for the game and for iAP content is the order of the day. I love Spectromancer but splitting the game up like they did sucks, especially when the iPad version is like 30MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom