• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming |Thread5| From Zero to Gaming Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

Looks like folks were a tad off on TWEWY's file size. I'm seeing something like 588 MB. Folks were saying it was 2.7 gigs. Wish I had the cash to buy it -- I'd gladly double dip. Folks don't know what they're missing.

Has The Curse been mentioned round this way? Basically essential if you like Layton and/or puzzles.

mza_3493441158911748422.480x480-75.jpg

99c for a limited time

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Think I'm gonna have to wait for TWEWY for a little while, till payday on Friday at least. I'm not really that put off by the price at all - Square games are always loooong and really fleshed out experiences, you simply don't get anything this deep for normal iOS prices. I think if you want full scale games on the platform, you should be willing to pay full scale prices. And it's still half the cost of the DS version while looking twice as pretty, that's not a bad deal.

The real challenge is going to be finding space for it on my 16gig iPad. I was tempted to jump onto NOVA this weekend too but the size put me off that one as well. Being cheap with my hardware purchase is making issues!

And speaking of Square games, I finally finished Final Fantasy Tactics last night after playing for almost the entire day in an effort to finish the bugger. Geekydad et al's advice on their Weigraf fight was critical - when equiped with Chameleon robes and Tailwinding the shit outta Ramza the fight was a doddle, and everything else afterwards was a downhill jog in comparison.

Still, the game wonderful - horrifically addictive, diamond hard, strategically satisfying. I'd recommend it despite all the technical flaws you have to negotiate before playing.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Looks like folks were a tad off on TWEWY's file size. I'm seeing something like 588 MB. Folks were saying it was 2.7 gigs. Wish I had the cash to buy it -- I'd gladly double dip. Folks don't know what they're missing.
The download is 589MB but it fills 2.31GB of the device after installed.

OJK2Q.png

GeekyDad

Think I'm gonna have to wait for TWEWY for a little while, till payday on Friday at least. I'm not really that put off by the price at all - Square games are always loooong and really fleshed out experiences, you simply don't get anything this deep for normal iOS prices. I think if you want full scale games on the platform, you should be willing to pay full scale prices. And it's still half the cost of the DS version while looking twice as pretty, that's not a bad deal.

The real challenge is going to be finding space for it on my 16gig iPad. I was tempted to jump onto NOVA this weekend too but the size put me off that one as well. Being cheap with my hardware purchase is making issues!

And speaking of Square games, I finally finished Final Fantasy Tactics last night after playing for almost the entire day in an effort to finish the bugger. Geekydad et al's advice on their Weigraf fight was critical - when equiped with Chameleon robes and Tailwinding the shit outta Ramza the fight was a doddle, and everything else afterwards was a downhill jog in comparison.

Still, the game wonderful - horrifically addictive, diamond hard, strategically satisfying. I'd recommend it despite all the technical flaws you have to negotiate before playing.

Glad that helped. Yeah, the game rewards you well after that battle, both with huge chunks of story and...Cid later on (he's a blast, eh?)

But yeah, I agree, TWEWY is an excellent value, especially considering that it's been polished up even more. Folks who haven't played it just don't quite understand what kind of game they're getting here for $20. It does some very, very cool things that other RPGs still haven't tinkered with. I just read that it only works on iPhone 4 and above, so it will be a pass for me (on 3GS). But I still have it on DS, so no big loss.

I'm a cheap bastard -- hate shelling out even a buck for a game I'm not sure about -- but as with FFT, the price here is absolutely justified. People should trust in that fact.

The download is 589MB but it fills 2.31GB of the device after installed.

OJK2Q.png

Yikes. Well, enjoy it.

heringer

You know what pisses me off about TWEWY? The two versions have the exact same assets (since the file size is pretty much the same), so playing the iPhone version on the iPad would work great. Square-Enix, greedy bastards like they are, knew this and prevented the iPhone version to even work on the iPad. Like their games aren't expensive enough.

Sigh... I'll buy it anyway because I'm a sucker. At least it looks like they made some effort with the game itself.

ToxicAdam

Googling "Little Ninja Rush" leads me to the App Store, their Facebook page and this thread with ToxicAdam suggesting it and me asking how to unlock stuff.

I guess it's futile to ask again :lol

Heh .. I had the same experience. It was a fun little diversion, but a better in-game walkthrough would have been nice.

I've already got GOF2 non HD . I haven't started it yet but I picked it up for a buck a month or two ago.

Is it worth double dipping for the visuals? I am on an iPad 3

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Galaxy on fire dev just posted on touch arcade

Don't worry, guys. The sale is not over yet, but apparently there's been a glitch in iTunes or something. When we log in to the admin panel, the price tier is still set to "1" which equals 0.99 US-$. We hope the price will be displayed correctly again in the next couple of minutes. So please check back in half an hour or so and hopefully you'll be able to download the game for the current special price.

jcm

I just made TWEWY my first ios game purchase. I've been interested in this game since it released, so I'm glad I finally have a chance to play it.

I also just grabbed GoF 2 HD for $0.99 on the US store, so now I have my first ios backlog, too. It's a real red letter day.

Zeth

WOW.

Supermagical take polish and crispness to a whole new level on the new iPad.
Really digging the game.

Yes. More people should be playing it, I see it's moving up the charts a bit.

Jumping into TWEWY this week as long as there are no glaring negative reviews. Haven't had a good meat and potatoes iOS experience in a while.

Yes. More people should be playing it, I see it's moving up the charts a bit.

It's another game that the file size is going to hurt. For TWEWY I can sort of understand a 2.3GB file size because it's a large, retail, RPG packed into my phone. For a throwaway Bust-a-Move clone to be hundreds of megabytes is stupid. Same as that golf solitaire thing that everyone says is good.

I'll download them when they're under 50MB, like they should be.

AEREC

I was really getting into Puzzle Craft until my save game dissapeared on my ipad. Now my city name is blank and any dialogue in game is filled with "Null." Hope they fix this soon.

Also One Tap Hero is pretty good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It's another game that the file size is going to hurt. For TWEWY I can sort of understand a 2.3GB file size because it's a large, retail, RPG packed into my phone. For a throwaway Bust-a-Move clone to be hundreds of megabytes is stupid. Same as that golf solitaire thing that everyone says is good.

I'll download them when they're under 50MB, like they should be.

But TWEWY was a DS game, there's no way it should be that big. Even with uprezzed assets it's beyond huge. TBH the idea that the audio is uncompressed is annoying to me. That audio that I don't care about at all is going to take space away from audio I'd much rather be listening to.

But TWEWY was a DS game, there's no way it should be that big. Even with uprezzed assets it's beyond huge. TBH the idea that the audio is uncompressed is annoying to me. That audio that I don't care about at all is going to take space away from audio I'd much rather be listening to.

I just mean psychologically, it's a retail game so it "feels" like it would be justifiably bigger.

heringer

so any TWEWY impressions? iOS not ds reviews?

There's some impressions around here. I played up to day 3 on the iPad and I think it's very good. It looks great and feels great. I'm even digging the new combat, though admittedly I wasn't a big fan of the original dual screen shenanigans.

Not sure how it plays on the iPhone though. The small screen might be a problem for more precise inputs. A stylus could be a good idea for iPhone players.

Flunkie

Banned
Man oh man oh man. The new visuals are pretty great, plus you get Valkyrie for free if you upgrade, plus you can keep your progress from the non-HD version via iCloud backup OR OpenFeint backup. Awesome, awesome stuff. Been playing all morning off of my two-hour playtime save from before and I've almost collected enough material to build the (first 3 hours spoilers)
Terran (I think?) drive.
Good game is good.

Edit: Game in question is obviously Galaxy on Fire 2 HD for $.99.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm thinking of double dipping on GoF2 HD. The game is SO amazing and at $0.99, I can't imagine why I shouldn't. Also, I'd love to play on my iPad in fancy graphics. :p

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Galaxy on Fire 2 seems impressive so far. I haven't played very long, but the virtual controls don't suck and the visuals are sharp on my 4S. If it has a decent amount of depth, I can see it sucking up a lot of my time.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Galaxy on Fire 2 seems impressive so far. I haven't played very long, but the virtual controls don't suck and the visuals are sharp on my 4S. If it has a decent amount of depth, I can see it sucking up a lot of my time.

One thing I really enjoyed about the time I spent on my 4S is how open it is. The ability to just roam around and explore/do side quests makes it feel ALMOST like a GTA in space (except, well, it's not). It's definitely worth $1.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
World Ends With You is $20, there's no demo to try it out, and they couldn't even bother with universal support for something this pricey.

What an arrogant company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom