• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an email from Appshopper, Real Racing 2 is on sale from $9.99 -> $4.99.

I'm not done with RR1 yet but I don't want to miss the sale so I think I'm getting it.

played the lite version of League of Evil and bought the full version. Such a surprise. I love how a iOS game can just come out of nowhere and be great fun for $1.

Mejilan said:
Hiya. I believe that the order I have them listed in my folder represents their relative order of minimum recommended starting level.

The only exception to this would be the only expansion that's totally free, the Cursed Chess one, I believe. That one was created for relatively new characters, though it does have an optional difficult dungeon for souped up characters.

Quest and Quest Gold are identical in all respects save for one. The Gold version has the first bunch of expansions baked right in.
Vanilla Quest and Quest Gold do NOT share the same save files. If you think you'll be buying expansions, just get the Gold version, as it represents a better dollar value. Both are officially supported. Updates and bug fixes to one will get ported to the other usually within hours.
Son, I am disappoint.
The only free expansion is Lost Archipelagos; And it is not for beginners. It's free because it was made by a fan who won a contest (or something like that), so the quality might not be up to the level of the real Quest games (I can't say for sure cause I haven't gotten to it yet; could you tell us if it's worth playing, Mejilan?).

Anyways, for those looking to try before you buy, get The Quest lite, not this free expansion.

He's on fire!

http://touchaholics.com/2011/02/04/ea-set-to-bring-nba-jam-to-the-iphone-details-coming-soon/

NBA%20JAM%20LOGO.jpg

If you’ve read the title of this article – we haven’t got any details on the next title from EA Mobile. We’ve received an e-mail from them, notifying us that NBA JAM will soon arrive for the iPhone and iPod touch, with no word on an iPad release yet.

We’re told to stay tuned for some fresh screenshots and gameplay footage this week. As soon as we get them, we’ll put them up as soon as possible. But it is confirmed, and it’s heading our way!

Superfrog

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I just got an email from Appshopper, Real Racing 2 is on sale from $9.99 -> $4.99.

It probably won't get cheaper than this anytime soon, so anyone who likes racing games and hasn't bought this yet should do so NOW.

BuzzJive

qsh said:
I am very excited to share with you, that Braineaters just released a brand new game called PIXFALL: Try to score 50.000!

Hey qsh, my 3G will play the game, but the scores aren't doing anything. There's no online action. I'm assuming you're targeting Game Center only devices, but there's no indication of that anywhere.

I tried out Battle For Wesnoth on my ipad, and man, the ipad is perfect for this sort of game. I thought using the DS touchscreen for Advance Wars was rad, but a huge touchscreen full of hexes is even better. Are there any similar turn-based strategy or RPG games on the ipad I should check out?

Parallax Scroll said:
I tried out Battle For Wesnoth on my ipad, and man, the ipad is perfect for this sort of game. I thought using the DS touchscreen for Advance Wars was rad, but a huge touchscreen full of hexes is even better. Are there any similar turn-based strategy or RPG games on the ipad I should check out?

Highborn is great, and great fun (well written if you like meta fourth wall breaking self-referential humor). Even has async multiplayer.

Aaron

Parallax Scroll said:
Rebirth of Fortune is a FF Tactics clone without the story. Simple but cheap.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Bungalow Bob said:
Son, I am disappoint.
The only free expansion is Lost Archipelagos; And it is not for beginners. It's free because it was made by a fan who won a contest (or something like that), so the quality might not be up to the level of the real Quest games (I can't say for sure cause I haven't gotten to it yet; could you tell us if it's worth playing, Mejilan?).

Anyways, for those looking to try before you buy, get The Quest lite, not this free expansion.
Could have sworn I read that it was intended for level 1 characters, sorry!

Also, I never recommended trying it out. Someone asked earlier today and I suggested getting a feel for the game with The Quest Lite instead. I've not played the free expansion and have no idea if it closely follows the main game or not.

ghibli99

Wow, nice price drop on RR2... we bought it at $9.99, which was totally worth it, but at 50% off, what a no-brainer! Not sure how cheap RR1 has been in the past, but that also dropped to two bucks.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sh0k said:
Has anyone tried Infinity Field ? It's listed under the New and Noteworthy in the AppStore and I was wondering if the game is any different from Geometry Wars that I already own.

mzl.hlftoudd.480x480-75.jpg

iTunes Link
It's like a padawan beating his own jedi master.
It is everything that GeoWars Touch should've been, since controls are insanely good.
And the pause method should be on every touch-shooter app from now on, dev's a genius :)
Campaign mode, survival, online leaderboards, local multiplayer on the same iPAD... Love it!
The only thing I suggest they change for an update are the sound FXs, which are friggin' terrible and really clash with the music; that is one camp were GeoWars is heaps and bounds better. Hopefully they also refine some grid effects tu be a bit more flashy, GeoWar's still king there.
And oh, the game looks absolutely stunning played in 3D type 2 mode!
Go buy it and add me:

Dash Kappey GAF [Gamecenter]

Edit: yeah, here's the only thing that bugs me and hoping for a new update: GC leaderboards are a chore, they're not in game (fucking Chillingo's Crystal is, so it's like with Cut the Rope) and you have to check 'em thru the GameCenter app, meaning I play the games 10 times less because of this and I rarely if ever gone for highscores. I'm positive it'll be fixed, but there's no contact form anywhere for Forze Field (devs).
Edit 2: remember this is iPad only atm.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Dash Kappei said:
It's like a padawan beating his own jedi master.
It is everything that GeoWars Touch should've been, since controls are insanely good.
And the pause method should be on every touch-shooter app from now on, dev's a genius :)
Campaign mode, survival, online leaderboards, local multiplayer on the same iPAD... Love it!
The only thing I suggest they change for an update are the sound FXs, which are friggin' terrible and really clash with the music; that is one camp were GeoWars is heaps and bounds better. Hopefully they also refine some grid effects tu be a bit more flashy, GeoWar's still king there.
And oh, the game looks absolutely stunning played in 3D type 2 mode!
Go buy it and add me:

Dash Kappey GAF [Gamecenter]

Edit: yeah, here's the only thing that bugs me and hoping for a new update: GC leaderboards are a chore, they're not in game (fucking Chillingo's Crystal is, so it's like with Cut the Rope) and you have to check 'em thru the GameCenter app, meaning I play the games 10 times less because of this and I rarely if ever gone for highscores. I'm positive it'll be fixed, but there's no contact form anywhere for Forze Field (devs).
Edit 2: remember this is iPad only atm.

Yeah, dev is awesome..... and he is only 16 years old.

Short interview here

http://www.gamezebo.com/news/2011/0...inity-field-developer-manuel-martinez-almeida

Dash Kappei

ghibli99 said:
Wow, I definitely need to check out Infinity Field!

Edit: Damn... iPad only. :(
Sorry :(
I don't see why it wouldn't be out for iPhone 4, the latest iPod touch (doubt 3GS if they make the iPad app Universal, but who knows) next. It's nothing those devices can't play or are not suited for.

Dash Kappei

8sanders said:
Yeah, dev is awesome..... and he is only 16 years old.

Short interview here

http://www.gamezebo.com/news/2011/0...inity-field-developer-manuel-martinez-almeida
Ehm, yeah I know but I didn't want to post that interview for a reason.
It floored me when I read he was just 16, amazing, almost crashed my dreams lol.
But he came away as a big douche in that interview... I mean, iirc he said something very similar to "I've never played Geo Wars on Xbox and my game was in development much time before Geo Wars Touch was released" and "My fav feedback are the Touch Arcade's posts where they say to just forget about Geo Wars completely, just delete it from your device, IF's is far superior in every way and also NOT a clone". I mean, get the fuck out with this bullshit son.
Still, his game's awesome and for that he deserve every praise he gets, I just prefer not to learn about devs' personal opinions when they're so arrogant and douchey.

elfinke

POWERSPHERE said:
Dungeon Hunter 2 by Cloneloft. Good or bad?

I loved the crap out of it for a week or two solid. The MP is also great, but admittedly I was playing locally with my partner over wifi.

It doesn't do anything particularly new or innovative, but what it does do it does well. It's best to compare it to Torchlight rather than Diablo.

iPhone 3GS btw.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Dash Kappei said:
It floored me when i read he was 16, almost crashed my dreams lol.
But he came away as a big douche in that interview... I mean, iirc he said something very similar to "I never played Geo Wars on Xbox and my game was in development much time before Geo Wars Touch was released" and "My fav feedback is Touch Arcade's posts where they say to forget avout Geo Wars completely, just delete it from your device, IF's far superior in every way and not a clone". I mean, get the fuck out with this bullshit son.
Still, his game's awesome and for that he deserve every prais he gets, I just prefer to not learn about devs' personal opinions when they're so arrogant and douchey.

True enough. It is an amazing game though. But he is right. Do I really need geometry wars anymore? I guess I just need to buy some Flings.

The M.O.B

Gamecocks625 said:
So can't wait for NBA Jam. Here's hoping it's actually a good port.

Wait, its not the new version they just made for Wii? ah dissapointed

Should still be good though, kinda of hard to mess up.

Dash Kappei said:
It floored me when i read he was 16, almost crashed my dreams lol.
But he came away as a big douche in that interview... I mean, iirc he said something very similar to "I never played Geo Wars on Xbox and my game was in development much time before Geo Wars Touch was released" and "My fav feedback is Touch Arcade's posts where they say to forget avout Geo Wars completely, just delete it from your device, IF's far superior in every way and not a clone". I mean, get the fuck out with this bullshit son.
Still, his game's awesome and for that he deserve every prais he gets, I just prefer to not learn about devs' personal opinions when they're so arrogant and douchey.

Yah, I really REALLY doubt that he hasn't played goddamn Geometry Wars on the 360.

The M.O.B said:
Wait, its not the new version they just made for Wii? ah dissapointed

Should still be good though, kinda of hard to mess up.

No one knows if it's the Wii version or the good ol oldie. We'll know soon enough though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, the app store has such an awful set up. I spend hours and hour trying to find something to play that isn't total crap, and it takes FOREVER.

A simple "games like these" tab would go a long way.

hyp

thetrin said:
Man, the app store has such an awful set up. I spend hours and hour trying to find something to play that isn't total crap, and it takes FOREVER.

A simple "games like these" tab would go a long way.
yea, they really need a built in genius type functionality in the app store.

you know, another good resource to finding decent games is game center. i check out what other gaf dudes are playing.

Wow, just got Battleheart. This game is great. And it's exactly the game I would love to play on a console. Great classes, fun battles, and nice skill unlocks, without too much silly story.

Any recommendations on a console game (or PC) that would fit the bill? I've always loved job systems, or at least diverse party choices.

Dash Kappei

cRIPticon said:
What? Joke post? GW was/is great but it HARDLY spawned the genre.
There were a few 3D platformers before Mario64, that doesn't mean it was not Mario64 to spawn the genre.
Everybody going to develop such a game as IF would know about, and played, Geo Wars.
Infinity Field is "just" Geometry Wars with a little twist on a power up, even the art and the enemies are practically the same for crying out loud.

graywolf323

SnakeswithLasers said:
Wow, just got Battleheart. This game is great. And it's exactly the game I would love to play on a console. Great classes, fun battles, and nice skill unlocks, without too much silly story.

Any recommendations on a console game (or PC) that would fit the bill? I've always loved job systems, or at least diverse party choices.

it reminds me of Castle Crashers but not sure that quite fits what you're looking for

kennah

Uh guys... Games like geo wars have been around since near the beginning of gaming. You could argue asteroids spawned the genre but twin stick shooters have been around since the eighties. See smashTV. it's the exact same type of game, just the dude walks around instead of being a spaceship. There are lots of other examples if you look.

graywolf323 said:
it reminds me of Castle Crashers but not sure that quite fits what you're looking for
Nah. My favorite RPG ever is FF Tactics ... this has a similar feel to me in the first few minutes just because I am enjoying the classes, and recruiting, and then getting a few levels and skilling up. I'm just into that sort of thing...

Mrbob

Any reason to pick up Real Racing with Real Racing 2 out? Haven't played either but looking at jumping into the sequel instead of the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom