• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
9mm is still showing as 4.99 on appshopper. I'll check the app store proper at lunchtime.

Oh btw, what's the name of that Trials clone, and was it any good? I wanna make the most out of this iPad.

SmokyDave

Jedeye Sniv said:
9mm is still showing as 4.99 on appshopper. I'll check the app store proper at lunchtime.
Showing as 69p for me but I think it's still being uploaded as I can't buy it yet.

Oh btw, what's the name of that Trials clone, and was it any good? I wanna make the most out of this iPad.
Xtreme Wheels. It's pretty good, it's a straight up Trials clone. I should start playing that again, I was doing some damage on the leaderboards until I got sidetracked by other games.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Sweet, Xtreme Wheels is only £1.49 too, bonus! Will buy 9mm and MC2 when I get home. Prepare for an epic bitch fest GAF!

edit: kinda hilarious how the first track on Xtreme Wheels has a bit where you get your head stuck in a box. Bugs ahoy!

Clunker

Jedeye Sniv said:
I almost rolled a tear reading that dedication. Downloading now, I should have got this ages ago anyway.
Eliss also scales really well at 2x on iPad, given the pixel-y art style. A brilliant game, and still one of the finest cases for multitouch, particularly when you're pinning down and keeping two planets away from obstacle while also trying to split or pinch two others. Everyone needs this one!

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Man, the framerate of 9mm on my 4th gen ipod touch is horrendous. Sucks, cause I played about five minutes and it's pretty fun.

Marv_79

Neo Member
I have become addicted to Kindom at War, I didn't mean for it to happen I was just trying it out cos it's free and haven't stop playing 2 days later..

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Clunker said:
Eliss also scales really well at 2x on iPad, given the pixel-y art style. A brilliant game, and still one of the finest cases for multitouch, particularly when you're pinning down and keeping two planets away from obstacle while also trying to split or pinch two others. Everyone needs this one!

Oh wow, you aren't wrong there, it's fantastic on the iPad. The line style scales up really well and it's really good at that kinda size. Perfect!

9mm bought, 69p is a good price for most gameloft titles.

*edit* bought modern combat 2 also, own the first and it was rather good for it's time, might as well continue the story.

Dynamite Shikoku

Forgetting the framerate drops, 9mm is really fun. Using gyro aiming to shoot people while I'm diving in slow motion is just about the best thing ever. I've heard the single player campaign is really short though - have to wait and see.

Hypatia

Dynamite Shikoku said:
99 cent Gameloft sale for iphone and ipad:

Gameloft's games are honestly terrible. The core mechanics are always shite, the level design is awful, their artists aren't that talented and the games are devoid of any originality.

They're kinda cool in a 'oh look it's like a console game... but on my iPhone!' way and, as far as I can tell, that's the only reason they get reviewed well... but other than that I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Having said that I am a complete sucker for deals and I like playing bad games soooo...

Hypatia said:
Having said that I am a complete sucker for deals and I like playing bad games soooo...
Gameloft's "99c sale" isn't a deal. The games cost 99c normally but are increased in price sometimes so they can reduce them again for the free publicity that reducing the prices gets them.

They're on "sale" about once a fortnight, there's absolutely no point in pretending that the games don't have a normal price of 99c. It's all mind games.

Citizen K

Am I missing out in buying the 69p version of anomaly warzone earth rather than the HD universal one? Does the cheaper one still have retina graphics on iphone 4 or do I need the HD one?

Aaron

Citizen K said:
Am I missing out in buying the 69p version of anomaly warzone earth rather than the HD universal one? Does the cheaper one still have retina graphics on iphone 4 or do I need the HD one?
I'm not sure, but pay the extra buck. It's more than worth it.

Hypatia

toythatkills said:
They're on "sale" about once a fortnight, there's absolutely no point in pretending that the games don't have a normal price of 99c. It's all mind games.
Oh. Well that's... somewhat disappointing.... I guess? *shrugs*

Also I was just wondering which is currently the best RPG on the iPhone. Was thinking about getting Chaos rings but then wondered about smaller/indie RPGs...

soldat7

ParityBit said:
Isn't there a HD version or iPad only version coming?

Indeed, and it looks like this:

Fishlabs-Galaxy-on-Fire-2-Full-HD-Screenshot-031.png

http://www.fishlabs.net/en/games/galaxy-on-fire-2-full-hd/

tuxor

Neo Member
Going to be spending a lot of time in the car this weekend, just downloaded Aralon.

Are there any decent games like Braid, Bastion, other games I like but can't think of...?(I'm helpful.)
Basically a good platformer/action game with neat mechanics and not too repetitive gameplay?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
soldat7 said:

Wow, is this just Mac? IT doesn't mention the iPad on the site that I can see. GoF is one of those games I'm looking forward to getting stuck into on the bigger screen.

In other news, I'm playing Roboto for the first time properly since it came out and it's really excellent if you can get it to run. It's performance on the iPhone 4 is inexcusable but it really is great when it works. Some fun platforming in there, a nice challenge level, gorgeous graphics. It's great. But if you have a phone stay the hell away.

Reese-015

Foob said:
when the hell is that randomly generated tron like racing game coming outtttt

Forever Drive? For some reason it's currently only out in Canada and Ireland or something weird like that. Tbh I'm not too excited about it after having seen the reactions and gameplay videos after the release. Not that it got bad reception but it's just not looking very spectacular.

Reese-015

tuxor said:
Going to be spending a lot of time in the car this weekend, just downloaded Aralon.

Are there any decent games like Braid, Bastion, other games I like but can't think of...?(I'm helpful.)
Basically a good platformer/action game with neat mechanics and not too repetitive gameplay?

This is the kinda stuff I currently miss on the platform myself, because the idevices would be perfect for it and it's crazy that devs aren't doing it yet.

Reese-015 said:
This is the kinda stuff I currently miss on the platform myself, because the idevices would be perfect for it and it's crazy that devs aren't doing it yet.
In what way would they be perfect for it? I'm genuinely curious as to why you think that because I would hate to play either of those two games without actual buttons. They'd be awful, or at least vastly inferior, and so any similar game would suffer the same fate.

Rlan

Halfbrick have just announced their next title -- Fruit Ninja: Puss In Boots!

En garde! Fruit meets fairytales in the juiciest iPhone game this year - Fruit Ninja: Puss in Boots!

The suave fruit-slashing swashbuckler, Puss in Boots, faces a challenge that would make Sensei proud. His search for the Magic Beans brings him to developer Halfbrick's legendary hit game Fruit Ninja. Prepare for a journey full of familiar and fruit slicing action he encounters a huge variety of new and exciting challenges!

Fruit Ninja: Puss in Boots features the all-new Bandito mode! Slice through a series of increasingly exciting challenges to become the greatest Fruit Ninja warrior ever! Each stage thrusts you into never-seen-before fruit frenzy adventure: Massive fruit from the Giant's castle, precision and timing challenges, all-out fruit onslaughts with new obstacles And for the first time EVER: Throw down against the most-requested addition in Fruit Ninja history - the tomato!

Real Banditos must put their best blade forward because scoring is based on the number of fruit sliced, ninja reflexes and slicing efficiency. A true produce warrior can attain massive high scores and upload their best to Global Leaderboards to compare against friends and the best players online!

Bring your blade to Desperado mode - an enhanced and re-mastered version of the Classic Fruit Ninja game that introduced 70 million players to the world's biggest dojo! But this time, you will face even more fruit, unique waves and Puss in Boots' elusive Magic Beans from the DreamWorks Animation feature film!

Finally, bask in the fruit-stained glory of Puss in Boots' own exclusive ninja Stash, featuring a whole range of unique customizable content, including new backgrounds and blades with elements from both the film and Fruit Ninja.

Stay juicy, amigos!

Trailer here!

Although movie tie-ins are usually ignored, I think we did a great job with this one. The Bandito mode allowed us to go pretty crazy with how Fruit Ninja works -- think of it as Fruit Ninja meets Wario Ware or Point Blank :p

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So... I've been playing a lot of 9mm tonight.

Firstly the good points - the gunplay is fairly decent and the game mostly feels ok to play. I use the double pistols a lot and they are quite fun to shoot.

Bad points though... pretty much everything else. The story and presentation are almost offensively bad. I was playing this with my wife looking over my shoulder and after a few minutes she asked "This game is kinda racist, right?" and tbh I don't disagree. So many offensive stereotypes that it becomes funny and then goes through that back out into stupid. The voice acting doesn't help either, where every latino character sounds like some kind of conservative propaganda or something, or like they're ripped from an 80s action movie. The mexicans are all "hey ese" and the black guy is all "yo homes", it's icky.

The graphics are pig ugly too, after an hour or so I realised that the visuals in screenshots are really just smoke and mirrors - the game uses the same N64-era low poly models and environments as other Gameloft games, it just dresses it up in blown out 'HDR' textures. The character models are hilarious bordering on terrifying.

The thing that gets me is that underneath all the offensive stereotypes and stupid story is that there is actually a mildly fun if half-baked game. A talented team could have made something tongue in cheek and mental with the exact same ingredients, whereas this is trying so hard to be street and to impress some 12 year olds that it can't even be called a parody of itself.

That said, I'm going to finish it.

One more mention of Roboto though, that game is the fucking shit. I so wish it had worked properly on the iPhone, it would probably be one of the best platformers on the system if it did. As it is, it's just one of the best on the iPad. It's perfect for speedrunning, it has a neat gravity gimmick and each world has an element that changes up the game pretty well. I'm up to the third world so far and I'm having a blast, although it is getting quite hard.

I've given Xtreme Wheels a good shake today too and it's not half bad for a Trials clone. The controls are a little odd (no forward/back arrows, just a slider) and the difficulty ramps up a little quickly but it sure is Trials on my iPad. Pretty much exactly what I wanted.

heringer

Carnivores and Carnivores: Ice Age are free right now.

Fun hunting games. Can't go wrong with free, dinos, yetis and sabertooths.

Dynamite Shikoku

Jedeye Sniv said:
So... I've been playing a lot of 9mm tonight.

Firstly the good points - the gunplay is fairly decent and the game mostly feels ok to play. I use the double pistols a lot and they are quite fun to shoot.

Bad points though... pretty much everything else. The story and presentation are almost offensively bad. I was playing this with my wife looking over my shoulder and after a few minutes she asked "This game is kinda racist, right?" and tbh I don't disagree. So many offensive stereotypes that it becomes funny and then goes through that back out into stupid. The voice acting doesn't help either, where every latino character sounds like some kind of conservative propaganda or something, or like they're ripped from an 80s action movie. The mexicans are all "hey ese" and the black guy is all "yo homes", it's icky.

The graphics are pig ugly too, after an hour or so I realised that the visuals in screenshots are really just smoke and mirrors - the game uses the same N64-era low poly models and environments as other Gameloft games, it just dresses it up in blown out 'HDR' textures. The character models are hilarious bordering on terrifying.

The thing that gets me is that underneath all the offensive stereotypes and stupid story is that there is actually a mildly fun if half-baked game. A talented team could have made something tongue in cheek and mental with the exact same ingredients, whereas this is trying so hard to be street and to impress some 12 year olds that it can't even be called a parody of itself.

That said, I'm going to finish it.

I just automatically skip all cut scenes so I don't even know what the story is lol. I just wanna shoot things.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Rlan said:

Trailer here!

Although movie tie-ins are usually ignored, I think we did a great job with this one. The Bandito mode allowed us to go pretty crazy with how Fruit Ninja works -- think of it as Fruit Ninja meets Wario Ware or Point Blank :p
*faints*

Clunker

tuxor said:

Check out Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor. Inventive, simple puzzle-platformer with a really fascinating backstory narrative that frames the entire game. Great controls (swipe-focused, so it's not a virtual D-pad platformer or anything), mysterious ambience, killer soundtrack.

heringer

Just got back to playing Alive 4 Ever Returns and man, this is twin stick shooter done right. Best one on the App store. Looks great, plays great and has chunky campaign, with lots of upgrades. Sooooo good.

Another good one is Bug Heroes.

Jetku

Rlan said:

Trailer here!

Dlc for the kinect version?

Please?

Flunkie said:
Even though the upgrades are getting further and further apart, I can't stop playing Temple Run. Gah.

just the opposite I couldnt get into it! I guess endless run is not my thing. too much concentration required. If you like that I can see how this is the best one though.

soldat7

Jedeye Sniv said:
Wow, is this just Mac? IT doesn't mention the iPad on the site that I can see. GoF is one of those games I'm looking forward to getting stuck into on the bigger screen.

In other news, I'm playing Roboto for the first time properly since it came out and it's really excellent if you can get it to run. It's performance on the iPhone 4 is inexcusable but it really is great when it works. Some fun platforming in there, a nice challenge level, gorgeous graphics. It's great. But if you have a phone stay the hell away.

Galaxy Under Fire 2 HD will be iPad 2

mandiller

Rlan said:

Trailer here!

Awesome. Seems like a good tie-in (reminds me of Angry Birds Rio). Will buy.

wondermega

a couple things:

Corona Indie Bundle has released, a bunch of previously (individually) available games bundled together for 99c, they are taking a cue from "Humble Indie Bundle" - good stuff in there, check it out!

mzl.mjasrmis.320x480-75.jpg

Also I have to recommend King Cashing (99c also) - RPG meets slot machines! What, right? Back to playing this as soon as I am done typing :)

mzl.hpjvxtjb.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.vfsfwjuu.320x480-75.jpg

In other news, fans of my game who have a Nook can find it available (HD version) on that marketplace for free through the weekend. And I am hard at work on development of a new thing or two ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom