• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

Glad I bought Espgaluda 2 for $4.99 when it had a launch special. Got both arcade mode and smart phone mode included at a lower price. Interesting move having an option to buy a mode separately.

FoxSpirit

soldat7 said:
Galaxy Under Fire 2 HD will be iPad 2
That will be a 3rd version then.
Galaxy Under Fire 2, Galaxy Under Fire 2 HD and Galaxy Under Fire 2 FullHD.
HD propably won't look as good as FullHD.
I mean, it's only Space, which is the equivalent of saving on resources games. But some of the stuff could be difficult, even on the iPad2.

Reese-015

Aw yeah! Warm Gun coming in October 11th!! Launch trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nop6pHXJxHA

toythatkills said:
In what way would they be perfect for it? I'm genuinely curious as to why you think that because I would hate to play either of those two games without actual buttons. They'd be awful, or at least vastly inferior, and so any similar game would suffer the same fate.

Oh I don't mean those specific games, just platformers of that caliber with gameplay and controls that fit the devices. There are so many popular platformers but most are pretty basic and repetitive compared to immersive games like Braid and Bastion.

Krorg

Dynamite Shikoku said:
Espgaluda II HD for ipad 2 will be released October 13th. And iphone version will drop in price.

edit: forgot to mention, you will also be able to buy arcade version and smartphone version seperately
Something I don't like about separate versions is that there will be three different scoreboards for the same game.

Xater

Wario64 said:
Besides the movie tie in (ugh), Fruit Ninja Puss in Boots looks friggin awesome. Day one

You know I think I rather have movie tie-ins like this, instead of totally crap games. At least this way people will not get ripped off.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
soldat7 said:
Galaxy Under Fire 2 HD will be iPad 2

Hmmm, I might hold off on playing the old one until the fancy new one comes out then. If it really looks that good then I'll want it just for the eye candy.

Played 9mm last night, wow are the cut scenes bad, the player model also looks 20 times worse then the one you see on the title screen in 3D, I also found it annoying that in bullet time you can't look around using the left side of the screen and then fire with the right side.

Another regular gameloft game, they are so hit and miss :/

Reese-015

Wrestlemania said:
What the fuck. Why are developers making shit like this?
Huh? This looks awesome, is one of the most anticipated iOS titles in quite a while and is definitely the game I've personally been looking forward to most for some time. Of course it COULD still turn out to be crap but atm it looks like it's a way more solid effort than the other already well received multiplayer fps experiences on the platform.

edit: and with Epic supporting it and already showcasing it on their UDK Showcase website, I'm pretty sure it'll get solid reviews. Why are you reacting to this as if it's some horrible Gameloft game or something? These are indie devs devs something original and ambitious, probably successfully so.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dynamite Shikoku said:
Espgaluda II HD for ipad 2 will be released October 13th. And iphone version will drop in price.

edit: forgot to mention, you will also be able to buy arcade version and smartphone version seperately
I knew I shouldn't hope for iPad1 compatibilty :( Gonna get it when iPad 3's out.
But hey, after all every level's background will stay in SD (plus some other stuff also stuck in SD it seems).
I also think is retarded that now the game will be split in 3 different leaderboards

Majine

Banned
Reese-015 said:
It's coming to everything the first one ran on!
I thought the exact wording on the keynote was "And it'll only run on iPhone 4S. Why? Cause it's awesome!"

But I thought since the iPad 2 also has the A5 chip...

Dash Kappei said:
Tiny Wings' distance mode? This one would be huuuuuuge.
Fruit Ninja: Puss in the Boots (only if it's universal tho)?
HYPERSHIP.

But Tiny Wings would also be cool. You could have contests for distance, longest fever, most coins and most great slides all at the same time.

Reese-015

Majine said:
I thought the exact wording on the keynote was "And it'll only run on iPhone 4S. Why? Cause it's awesome!"

I also thought that at first but then I immediately checked it again and they said it'll only run like this on the iPhone 4S (meaning: with god rays and self-shadowing). Mark Rein from Epic confirmed on twitter that it'll run on everything 3GS+.

Reese-015 said:
Huh? This looks awesome, is one of the most anticipated iOS titles in quite a while and is definitely the game I've personally been looking forward to most for some time. Of course it COULD still turn out to be crap but atm it looks like it's a way more solid effort than the other already well received multiplayer fps experiences on the platform.

edit: and with Epic supporting it and already showcasing it on their UDK Showcase website, I'm pretty sure it'll get solid reviews. Why are you reacting to this as if it's some horrible Gameloft game or something? These are indie devs devs something original and ambitious, probably successfully so.

1. Compared any other FPS in existence it looks terrible. Just terrible.
2. It will control terribly
3. iOS game reviews are almost meaningless. The vast majority of sites will gush over pretty much any game of the moment that people will have forgotten about days later, and especially anything that attempts to be a "proper" game.

Reese-015

Wrestlemania said:
1. Compared any other FPS in existence it looks terrible. Just terrible.
2. It will control terribly
3. iOS game reviews are almost meaningless. The vast majority of sites will gush over pretty much any game of the moment that people will have forgotten about days later, and especially anything that attempts to be a "proper" game.

1. I respect your opinion on that, even though it's the first time on any forum or preview that I've heard it but to each his own.

2. A lot of people hate dual-stick fps controls on the idevices, a lot of people also love them (Modern Combat, Nova and Archetype have a pretty damn active playerbase and I've had a lot of fun with all three). This means it's strongly polarized and you're part of the audience that dislikes those controls. It's still just your opinion though, Modern Combat 2, Archetype and especially Nova 2 control damn well for me just as they do for most of their playerbase.

3. Agree to some point. IGN's been pretty damn fair thus far though and TouchArcade is becoming more professional as well. Tons of recent iOS games have been getting much more critical reviews, Shadowgun especially experienced a huge backlash when it was released, despite still being higher quality than pretty much any Gameloft game in every regard. The game actually got reviewed properly and I bet same will happen to Warm Gun because this trend is picking up.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I really like playing fps's with gyro controls on my ipod, but warm gun doesn't appeal to me because it's just multiplayer.

Dynamite Shikoku said:
I really like playing fps's with gyro controls on my ipod, but warm gun doesn't appeal to me because it's just multiplayer.
I can't get excited over it and I love these sort of games, too much hype in my head for battle bears royale.

Dash Kappei

toythatkills said:
HYPERSHIP.

But Tiny Wings would also be cool. You could have contests for distance, longest fever, most coins and most great slides all at the same time.
That'd be cool except I'm not going to follow 3 leaderboards with screens and such on what would be almost certainly a 80 to 100+ players contest :p

Distance or bust!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think hypership would be a very cool contest game. It's new, it's cheap and it's universal. Perfect. And it's a nice mix between shooter and runner. Tiny wings is cool but I've played it to death and back.

Fox Mulder

MDavis360 said:
Is there any chance Popcap is ever going to update Plants vs Zombies HD? Would could the holdup be??

they're popcap.

My only christmas wish is for them to fix peggle hd already. It's been broken since they put it out in august, but I don't want them to push themselves too hard or anything.

beril

So my game sold a whopping total of 14 copies on launch day. I figure I probably need some user reviews (among many other thing). If anyone feel like trying it out and leave a quick review (be honest but not brutal) PM me for a promo code.

The game is called Helium Boy. It's a cute little 3D platformer inspired by Balloon Fight and its gameboy sequel Balloon Kid. You fly through the levels using balloons and collect stars. Watch out for birds, ninjas and spikey things. If your balloons pop you can pump new ones and you can also let go of them at will and jump around without balloons. It requires GLES2.0 so iphone 3GS or later

sd2LL.jpg

Appstore
trailer

wondermega

beril said:
So my game sold a whopping total of 14 copies on launch day. I figure I probably need some user reviews (among many other thing). If anyone feel like trying it out and leave a quick review (be honest but not brutal) PM me for a promo code.

The game is called Helium Boy. It's a cute little 3D platformer inspired by Balloon Fight and its gameboy sequel Balloon Kid. You fly through the levels using balloons and collect stars. Watch out for birds, ninjas and spikey things. If your balloons pop you can pump new ones and you can also let go of them at will and jump around without balloons. It requires GLES2.0 so iphone 3GS or later

sd2LL.jpg

Appstore
trailer

argh! that's tough :( Did you do any kind of proper marketing at all? (press releases - I suggest prmac.com - emailing codes and materials to the usual websites, etc) I've seen your game around and I think it looks great. I will pick up a copy and give a review as well.

Sadly, we've long since reached a point of saturation on the App Store where anything that doesn't look like "oh my Gooooood" registers next-to-nothing. It's a double-edged sword, on the one hand there are genuinely excellent titles releasing practically weekly (and for pennies) - on the other hand noting has any "stickiness" or staying power, and really nothing seems to feel special anymore :(

BTW rename your game to "Pump 'n Jump!"

MDJCM

beril said:

sd2LL.jpg

Appstore
trailer

What does the main menu/splash page look like? Attractive?

beril

wondermega said:
argh! that's tough :( Did you do any kind of proper marketing at all? (press releases - I suggest prmac.com - emailing codes and materials to the usual websites, etc) I've seen your game around and I think it looks great. I will pick up a copy and give a review as well.

Sadly, we've long since reached a point of saturation on the App Store where anything that doesn't look like "oh my Gooooood" registers next-to-nothing. It's a double-edged sword, on the one hand there are genuinely excellent titles releasing practically weekly (and for pennies) - on the other hand noting has any "stickiness" or staying power, and really nothing seems to feel special anymore :(

BTW rename your game to "Pump 'n Jump!"

Honestly I'm pretty much completely clueless on how to market an app. I emailed out some promo codes to a couple of sites, though only after the game was released so I can't really expect them to post anything the same day. I'll look into prmac

Issun23

beril said:
Honestly I'm pretty much completely clueless on how to market an app. I emailed out some promo codes to a couple of sites, though only after the game was released so I can't really expect them to post anything the same day. I'll look into prmac

Bought it, played it and loved it. Before actually playing the game I thought the Balloon Fight similarities would end with the use of balloons as a way to travel but the gameplay really reminded me of the frantic action the later Balloon Fight levels offered. Reviewed it positively on the store too.

With regards to the sales figures and expectations... think of it as being 1400% more successful than countless other app developers who don't sell a single copy the first week, let alone the first day.

You took the first step; you made the game available and it already sold a few copies without putting in any special effort, marketing-wise. Now you have to look into ways to bring your game to the attention of friends, other developers and any potential buyers.

You could work a little on the game's page, maybe adding screenshots, a summary of the game, a link to the appstore and a couple hints to play better. That way, if someone stumbles on your site they'll know more about your game and will have a direct link to the store.

Set up a Twitter account and point buyers there if they have any questions. If people see other people talking positively about the game, sales can only increase.

Connect with other app developers, if you played their game let them know what you think, they'll see you have your own game and might try it, and if they like it they may even encourage their fans to buy it.

wondermega

beril said:

That's too bad (though hardly unusual to hear, most developers detest marketing). What I've learned in the past couple of years is that the attempt you make to market your app is often more important than the actual quality of what you put out (this is not an excuse for bad quality apps, BTW). It's a shame because I think your work looks absolutely excellent (again, especially considering that you are a 1-man show) and I think you definitely deserve more recognition. Drop me a line if you'd like to compare some notes on the matter..

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just finished off all the levels on Roboto. Again, as iOS platformers go, this is one of the best ive played. The last two levels were bastard hard but otherwise the game had a really gentle and enjoyable difficulty curve and a lot of personality. I need more now, I think I might try Cordy to further satiate my need for 2.5D platforming!

Dash Kappei

beril said:

sd2LL.jpg

Appstore
trailer
Send me a PM if you want to promote your game "sponsoring" the next of our GAF's iOS Weekly Contest with some codes for your game... I'd be happy to help a fellow gaffer as I'm sure would many others.
Check the bottom of this thread's OP to find the links and check out the Mr. Ninja, Flick Kick Football or Hard Lines contests to see how that would pan out, that should give your game some exposure :)
I would need a banner, a link to YT official trailer (if you have one) and such but of course we can discuss that later.

Helium boy is very impressive especially for made by 1 person youve got some real talent.
Actually you might want to think about doing a Wiiware port.

Flunkie

Banned
60_gig_PS3 said:
just the opposite I couldnt get into it! I guess endless run is not my thing. too much concentration required. If you like that I can see how this is the best one though.
I normally don't prefer endless games.

Checking out Helium Boy now. :)

okno

Bought Helium Boy :) As an aspiring DJ, I know how hard it is to get your work out there and to get people interested in it, so I wanted to show you a little support. Also, it's just $2!

Having only played level one, it's a really solid game. The graphics are great and the style is adorable. I love the way the ninjas chase you around and then attempt to stab your balloons. I did have some issues with the controls at first, they're extremely floaty, but I got used to it after a few minutes and now I kind of really like the way it feels to move. Youve made a great little game.

ALSO, Temple Run is my favorite thing right now.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
beril said:

For the future, IMO, the most important/impactful things for sales in rough priority order are

- showing your game to Apple reps before release for chance at promotion
- cross promotion from within other apps
- having a great icon on the Store
- having a good name which speaks to what the game is
- having great screenshots on the Store
- press release announcing game a little ahead of time
- formal reviews

In the scheme of things, sending out promo codes is one of the least important things because web buzz/traffic doesn't translate into a lot of sales unless you have a crazy amount.

Mastgrr

Majine said:

iPad 2 has 512mb ram, reportedly the iPhone 4S has the same amount. I'm pretty confident that the game will run close to equal on an iPad 2. In fact, it might even run better - as the A4 in iPad 1 runs faster than the A4 in the iPhone 4! Could be the same this time!

Mastgrr said:
iPad 2 has 512mb ram, reportedly the iPhone 4S has the same amount. I'm pretty confident that the game will run close to equal on an iPad 2. In fact, it might even run better - as the A4 in iPad 1 runs faster than the A4 in the iPhone 4! Could be the same this time!
The A5 in the 4S is likely to be underclocked compared to the iPad 2 in order to save battery life. IB2 should run better on iPad 2.

wondermega

Mario said:
For the future, IMO, the most important/impactful things for sales in rough priority order are

- showing your game to Apple reps before release for chance at promotion
- cross promotion from within other apps
- having a great icon on the Store
- having a good name which speaks to what the game is
- having great screenshots on the Store
- press release announcing game a little ahead of time
- formal reviews

In the scheme of things, sending out promo codes is one of the least important things because web buzz/traffic doesn't translate into a lot of sales unless you have a crazy amount.

All of the above things are important! If you are a noob (or even if not), it's important to beta test/market research stuff as much of that stuff as humanly possible. Get people to vote on different names, icons, screens etc (or at least say if they like/understand them or not). Half-decent facebook/twitter/forum presence makes such things easier. Sounds like a lot of work/pain in the ass, and it is, but it can mean life or death for certain projects!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom