• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

okno

toythatkills said:
Hard Lines is rubbish*. And it's "free" with a £50 IAP :lol

I hated it. Maybe just me.
How can you hate snake?! And the game is free, as in free with the purchase of free. That $80 IAP is for unlimited cash. Its ridiculous, but implies that they're going to release a bunch of new stuff in the future. The game is brilliant.

parasight

Man Grand Prix Story is probably my favorite Kairosoft game. I wasted two days straight trying to beat it. Finally finished the Kairoland GP on the 12th year of the 6th month in my 2nd playthrough. Didn't even end up using the Mach Car, just my very well upgraded Aero Car. Can't wait till Pocket League.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Been playing a whole load of stuff in between reading comics and ebooks today (yay iPad! This is amazing). Finished off 9mm and as expected, it really sucked. The shooting was passable but too simple but the story, art and everything else wasjustchorrid. I now feel vindicated in slagging off gameloft for another few months.

Downloaded and tried avadon since it was on sale. It's OK but seems really dry so far. The text is tiny as well which was really straining my eyes, and I think it came off poorly coming as it did after I'd been reading George R R Martin for the previous hour. I'll give it some more time though, maybe after I've finished the book so I can have only one fantasy story going at a time.

Played a bit of Mos Speedrun too since I wanted to see how it played on the iPad. And it's great, really really good. The controls are excellent, putting the direction arrows in the middle of the screen at the sides is an amazing idea, every platformer needs to steal this idea. Even roboto which was great suffered from having the controls at the bottom of the screen which got tiring holding the pad after a while. Putting them in the middle takes this aspect away, it's where you'd naturally hold the device and I feel I could play that way for ages. The game is also a super competent and fun platformer. All good!

I briefly tried a bit of Cordy too but it's really not a patch on Roboto in terms of graphics or the feel of the way it plays. Think I'll skip that one.

wondermega

nofi said:
What do you mean, sorry?

as noted in this thread (and elsewhere) it is very important to spend some amount of time and energy (and even money) to do some marketing. Just launching your game and hoping "Apple will take care of the rest" is asking for trouble.

Get focus-testing and come up with a solid name, app icon, screenshots, descriptions, keywords, do a press release (prmac.com), post in here & on TouchArcade, get a cover letter out to a long line of contacts (I'll be willing to share a list with you if you are interested). The quieter you are, the more likely you are to fall on deaf ears.

okno said:
How can you hate snake?!
I don't hate Snake, I hate Hard Lines. I just didn't get on with any of the control schemes. Two of them barely worked and the third was more awkward than fun. I'd love it on a d-pad, but with hundreds of games to play I don't have the patience for learning to deal with poor controls.

Gaspode_T

If you use "Turny" - Just hold it and tap with thumbs, pretend that left thumb is pressing down left on a d-pad, right thumb is pressing down right on the d-pad...boom, perfect controls. The only trick is that the way you turn is relative to current direction.

I am surprised no one is mentioning the new Disney Mobile game Where's My Water? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-angry-birds-as-no-1-paid-app/article2183425/

I got this also yesterday, it's pretty simple but fun enough for $1. I would love to see whether kids have a hard time with it or not, because it seems to require a little bit of fine touch when digging. Maybe kids are better at it than adults, who knows!

Thanks for heads up about Avadon, got that one as well.

Gaspode_T said:
If you use "Turny" - Just hold it and tap with thumbs, pretend that left thumb is pressing down left on a d-pad, right thumb is pressing down right on the d-pad...boom, perfect controls. The only trick is that the way you turn is relative to current direction.
That would require learning =P

It's natural in top down racers, but for some reason feels unnatural here. I think it's because using my left hand to turn right and vice-versa doesn't feel right to my brain, whereas one hand on a d-pad makes sense.

Gaspode_T

Ahhhh, play Rock Band and learn the drums, your brain will love that!

By the way, does anyone know what happens when you press the home button while playing Avadon without saving? Does it auto-save every 5 minutes or something? I'm just curious if I should be paranoid about manually saving or not.

Reese-015

Fusebox said:
I got Siegecraft and Warm Gun downloading now, I've been lookin forward to both of them and I'll post impressions laters.

People playing Warm Gun with bots offline are reporting poor framerate. Shame. Hope the actual multiplayer is smoother.

Just skimmed it using m.ign.com for anyone not wanting to click through 25 pages.

Thank you for writing this. I have some games to check out apparently :)

squall23

Taito's Groove Coaster is the best Rhythm Game on iOS.
And that right there makes me completely disagree with your opinionated list.

Jubeat and Tap Sonic >>>>>>>>> Groove Coaster

Not saying Groove Coaster is a bad game but it's like comparing a game rated with an 8 to a game rated with a 9.5

heringer

GDJustin said:
I just published a pretty monster feature. The top 25 iOS games of all time:

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/119/1196670p1.html

Sorry it's 25 pages. Not my decision! Please read it anyway.
Clicked and saw Infinity Blade at 25. Off to a good start this list.

edit: second page and I see Sid Meier's Pirates! iPad Review on the list. It's iPad only, so you should at least change the article's name to iOS games, not iPhone games. :)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
squall23 said:

Jubeat >>>>>>>>> Groove Coaster

Not saying Groove Coaster is a bad game but it's like comparing a game rated with an 8 to a game rated with a 9.5
As opposed to an objective list? Get out of here with that crap. Jubeat isnt even available in the US is it?

heringer

Wow at Tiny Wings in #2 and World Goo at frigging #17. Smh

Oh well, opinions and stuff.

Also funny that Civilization made top 10 even though IGN review gave the game a 6.5, heh. But I guess Levi had no part on the list.

Gaspode_T

squall23 said:

Jubeat and Tap Sonic >>>>>>>>> Groove Coaster

I personally think Groove Coaster >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jubeat ... I wouldn't rate Jubeat a 9.5 any day, it's expensive and difficult to play on anything but the lowest difficulties, the feeling of impact is low when you hit beats and you are basically just spastically moving around your fingers, whereas Groove Coaster for the most part is just keeping beat with either the drum groove or guitar groove, and you can sometimes do it right even the first time which is almost impossible for Jubeat.

People who like anime music or jpop might like Jubeat more on that aspect alone.

Some Jubeat "purists" seem to believe it is meant to be played in the arcade...so in any case maybe it's not really fair to compare those games...they are totally different

I think a list of Top 25 overall games doesn't really help me that much, I would much rather see a list of Top 25 Match 3 or something like that. Or Top 25 Korean RPG games. There are way too many genres in that list

Fusebox

Banned
Warm Gun looks great but the controls just feel wrong, Siegecraft looks fantastic but is a bit slow to start, hopefully it will ramp up.

vareon

Gaspode_T said:
I think a list of Top 25 overall games doesn't really help me that much, I would much rather see a list of Top 25 Match 3 or something like that. Or Top 25 Korean RPG games. There are way too many genres in that list

Agreed! Maybe Top 10 if 25 was too much. A Top 25 overall might be pretty handy for new owners, but you'll see the usual games recommended by anyone else there (Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Infinity Blade etc). It'll be nice to see some hidden gems among a specific genre.
Nice work though, GDJustin!

Reese-015

Do not get Warm Gun. Fucking thing sucks. Feel bad for having defended it thus far.

Game feels like it's in early beta and performance is terrible. Kinda like Dungeon Defenders all over again.

Bigfoot

That list is sadly missing Space Ore Bust and Spider. At least Sword and Poker made the list. Also, the Scrabble app is better than Words of Friends.

Reese-015

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Is Warm Gun out on the store? Also, is it iPad 2 only?

It is. But this release is a catastrophe and the game is in such a poor state that I can't even bring myself to believe that updates will fix it. Deleting and getting a refund due to crashes and poor performance asap. (people say even on the iPad 2 performance is sub-par btw)

Explore. Expand. Exterminate. Can you defeat your friends and become the ruler of the galaxy?

Starbase Orion is an old-school 4X space strategy game that draws inspiration from titles such as Master of Orion and Galactic Civilizations. Lead your empire from the birth of its space age in Starbase Orion. Colonize new worlds, explore new horizons, and discover other players attempting to do the same. It is a race to the stars where only one empire can declare victory over the galaxy.

Strong Single-Player Experience

Compete against a battle-tested artificial intelligence. Our AI was derived from our entry into to 2010 Google AI contest, where it placed in the top 15% of thousands of competing intelligences. Go head-to-head against a single AI opponent, or ramp up the carnage with a 4 way free-for-all.

GameCenter Multiplayer Turn-Based Games

Starbase Orion was designed to provide a fantastic multiplayer experience. Launch the game, sign into GameCenter, and start a new multiplayer game. Play your turn, and you will be automatically matched to another player when someone else decides to play. No need to coordinate play times, seek out other players. Just go play, when you want and on your terms.

iCloud Support

Starbase Orion is built from the ground up for iOS 5. It supports iCloud so that your saved games are instantly available on all of your devices. Start a game at home on your iPad, then pick it up again the next day on your iPhone. Simple, streamlined, fantastic.

Universal - You bought the cool gadgest, go play on them.

Full support for iPad, iPhone, iPod, standard and Retina displays. Play when you want, where you want.

Choose Your Race, Or Create Your Own

There are five uniques races included; Human, Draske, Vass, Cyban, and Isather. You can also create your own custom race by picking and choosing between different race characteristics.

Intense Space Combat

Design your ships from a variety of weapons, hull, and systems. Send them into battle against the enemy. Give them orders, then watch the battle in unfold as they duke it out in the dark expanses of space.

Guaranteed Pricing

It is quite common these days to buy an app one day only to watch it go “free for a day” the very next afternoon. Starbase Orion is not one of those apps. We will have an opening sale with the price set at $4.99 USD. After which the price will be fixed at $7.99 USD. Starbase Orion will not be switched free at any time. We want you to be able to buy the app with confidence, and this is our guarantee to you.

Guaranteed Free Updates

We have a lot more planned for Starbase Orion. We plan to release all updates for free, without any hidden fees or In-App Purchases.

http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/starbase-orion/id438375580?mt=8

About fucking time a 4x game is on i devices. And it does seem to be leading the charge on ios 5 icloud save feature. Will most definitely give this a try later tonight ;P

Kurdel

Banned
It's been a while since we had one of these!

Buying everything that looks awesome, will report with impressions!

I will hold back on Warm Gun until I read some iPad 2 impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom