• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusebox

Banned
Llyranor said:
Why include iPad only games like Pirates in a 'top iPhone games' list?

Not a single Cave shmup? Ok.

IOS, not iPhone. And no Cave shmup is polished enough to hit the top 25, come back when they're at least releasing games at retina res.

AcciDante

beril said:
So my game sold a whopping total of 14 copies on launch day. I figure I probably need some user reviews (among many other thing). If anyone feel like trying it out and leave a quick review (be honest but not brutal) PM me for a promo code.

The game is called Helium Boy. It's a cute little 3D platformer inspired by Balloon Fight and its gameboy sequel Balloon Kid. You fly through the levels using balloons and collect stars. Watch out for birds, ninjas and spikey things. If your balloons pop you can pump new ones and you can also let go of them at will and jump around without balloons. It requires GLES2.0 so iphone 3GS or later

sd2LL.jpg

Appstore
trailer
Your trailer was posted on GameTrailers! :O
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-trailer-helium-boy/722078

chickdigger802 said:
http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/starbase-orion/id438375580?mt=8

About fucking time a 4x game is on i devices. And it does seem to be leading the charge on ios 5 icloud save feature. Will most definitely give this a try later tonight ;P

Hell yes. We need less tower defense pap and more grand strategy. Ascendancy was a step in the right direction, but the UI was atrocious. This looks terrific. I've tried out a few other strat titles in the same vein, but they're a little thin. I'll nab this as soon as it drops as well.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Helium Boy:
I think the pacing of the automatic camera is a bit off, and for my tastes, it is much too floaty. Plus, the pumping mechanic takes a lot of time. Some checkpoints can get annoying. Under certain circumstances, it is nigh impossible to get rid of enemies. The music is great, same for the graphics and animation. I find the price very fair for 8 levels, provided the player enjoys the game from start to end. It is however not my cup of tea.
I gotta say that it seems to be a great game for kids! I'll run it by my 2 nephews the next time I meet them, and will report back.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Gaspode_T said:
Yeah I was kind of surprised about that honestly, unless it's in 3D or something on 3DS it seems like a risky thing to add.

The XBLIG version didn't do that did it? I thought that had a fixed, straight on perspective that didn't change as you switched from top to bottom of the screen.

hyp

Kurdel said:
Forever Drive is really amazing. It's got a bit of a freemium thing going on, but the game is still very cool.

iʻm diggin forever drive as well. simplistic and fairly minimal, just how i like it. making tracks is actually pretty fun. hope this game has a lot of replayability, not sure how i feel about the paid content yet. definitely worth checking out though.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
It really surprises me that Warm Gun's devs released it as it is now. Shadowgun was buggy too when it got released. I wonder if they need better testers than touch arcade forum members.

dock

Picking up an iPhone 4S on Friday. I need to decide which game to buy first, perhaps something to show off the CPU or the screen resolution. I already have an iPhone 3G and an iPad 1.

Any suggestions?

Mik2121

Gaspode_T said:
I personally think Groove Coaster >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jubeat ... I wouldn't rate Jubeat a 9.5 any day, it's expensive and difficult to play on anything but the lowest difficulties, the feeling of impact is low when you hit beats and you are basically just spastically moving around your fingers, whereas Groove Coaster for the most part is just keeping beat with either the drum groove or guitar groove, and you can sometimes do it right even the first time which is almost impossible for Jubeat.

People who like anime music or jpop might like Jubeat more on that aspect alone.

Some Jubeat "purists" seem to believe it is meant to be played in the arcade...so in any case maybe it's not really fair to compare those games...they are totally different

I think a list of Top 25 overall games doesn't really help me that much, I would much rather see a list of Top 25 Match 3 or something like that. Or Top 25 Korean RPG games. There are way too many genres in that list
This post is so full of wrong..

For one, Groove Coaster is quite a mess when it comes to knowing when to press. Sometimes you can't see some of the areas where you have to press, and the hit timing isn't always synced with the song beat. I have Jubeat for the iPad and play it a lot on Arcade as well, and it's not really all that hard to play, if at all.

As for "people who like anime music or jpop"... lol. Most of the popular songs aren't either anime or jpop. Just because those songs are featured in the game, it doesn't mean it's all there's to it.

Also, Groove Coaster isn't really challenging either, whereas Jubeat has a lot of songs (it's expensive, that's true..) with multiple difficulty levels so a lot of people with different level skills can play the same game.

In my opinion, Jubeat is BY FAR the best rhythm game in the app store.

Mik2121 said:
In my opinion, Jubeat is BY FAR the best rhythm game in the app store.
Jukebeat is the worst game I've played on iOS. Maybe it's okay on iPad, but on iPhone it's shit. Basically no songs, and the songs it has are horrible. And it's no fun to play. The notes appear and disappear so quickly that you're never playing with the rhythm, you're playing Whac-a-mole. Someone on here made that comparison when it came out and they're spot on. It's a terrible music game.

If the song selection in Jubeat makes it better somehow, so what? That stuff's not available in the US so it's perfectly fine if IGN want to ignore it, because the US release is dire. I can't see how better songs would make it fun, though, it would just suck in a more aurally pleasing way. (I said aurally.)

Groove Coaster is far better. Osu!Stream is far better. Rhythmatic is far better.

Gaspode_T

The reason I said it's not really fair comparison is that the arcade machine has big clicky buttons that you actually press down, totally different feel than pressing down on a glass screen. It's like comparing Taiko drumming game where you are whacking a big drum to the DS/PSP versions.

Jubeat arcade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw55-dzKBrc

I actually like Pop N Music more than Jubeat in the arcade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV3yVpPJvss

I thought the perspective changes in Groove Coaster are very much deliberate to throw you off, you might even practice trying to do it without paying attention to the symbols (close your eyes or something)

Mik2121

toythatkills said:
Jukebeat is the worst game I've played on iOS. Maybe it's okay on iPad, but on iPhone it's shit. Basically no songs, and the songs it has are horrible. And it's no fun to play. The notes appear and disappear so quickly that you're never playing with the rhythm, you're playing Whac-a-mole. Someone on here made that comparison when it came out and they're spot on. It's a terrible music game.

If the song selection in Jubeat makes it better somehow, so what? That stuff's not available in the US so it's perfectly fine if IGN want to ignore it, because the US release is dire. I can't see how better songs would make it fun, though, it would just suck in a more aurally pleasing way. (I said aurally.)

Groove Coaster is far better. Osu!Stream is far better. Rhythmatic is far better.
Uhm...

1) It's not Jukebeat, it's Jubeat. Edit: Just saw it's Jukebeat on the US, never mind this.

2) The game isn't meant to be played on the iPhone but the iPad. They changed it to universal for the iPad players that wanted to play on the go, but again, that's not where it should be played.

3) You can't expect the game to be free. It has A LOT of songs. I have about 14 and that's more than enough for me, and if you think they are horrible.. well, that sucks for you. But there are definitely a lot of actually good songs. Here are a few of them: bass2bass, Sweet Rain, Sumidagawa Karenka, etc..

4) You are playing with rhythm. The problem is, if you don't have rhythm yourself, you can't expect to be able to beat these songs. If you expected the game to hold your hands and guide you through the whole song, then yeah, you were playing the wrong game. I'm not good at it either, but I can at least get through the songs and hit the targets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMxwUehInm0

However, saying that a game like Groove Coaster where it changes the speed at which it moves, you can't really see shit sometimes and half of the songs are quite the trash, is better than Jubeat... seems kinda ironic to me. I'd say you haven't really played Jubeat or only gave it one or two tries, sucked at it (not your problem, everybody sucks at it at first, then you get used to it and it's a lot of fun) and then gave up.

Mik2121 said:
3) You can't expect the game to be free. It has A LOT of songs. I have about 14 and that's more than enough for me, and if you think they are horrible.. well, that sucks for you. But there are definitely a lot of actually good songs. Here are a few of them:

However, saying that a game like Groove Coaster where it changes the speed at which it moves, you can't really see shit sometimes and half of the songs are quite the trash, is better than Jubeat... seems kinda ironic to me. I'd say you haven't really played Jubeat or only gave it one or two tries, sucked at it (not your problem, everybody sucks at it at first, then you get used to it and it's a lot of fun) and then gave up.
Seriously, play the US release and then come back.

Mik2121

toythatkills said:
Seriously, play the US release and then come back.
What songs does it have? I have the JP version (I live in JP so that's my main account) and the songs that it comes with aren't the best, indeed. But they work as a demo for the full game.

Peru

Jubeat is definitely the biggest positive rhythm game surprise in many years for me. I wasn't familiar with the arcade game (or arcade games in general) but I felt that it offered something different, more challenging and rewarding than the usual more linear and increasingly stale new genre offerings. The ipod is a bit too small, wish I'd have an ipad, but I learned to cope with it. (playing the JP version, don't know the western one)

Even though it's more traditional tap sonic is also pretty decent. Lots of songs. Ludicrous payment system, though.

dock

Watching videos of Jubeat, I have to say it doesn't appeal to me. However I can see the appeal. The price of the music packs seem a little on the steep side too.

I'm a bit crap at music games, so Groove Coaster is more my speed. I enjoy the visuals much more too, which is important for me with rhythm action.

On the topic of rhythm games, does anyone here like Winta? I love 'War is not the Answer', but I've been disappointed with the couple of songs I've downloaded.

GDJustin said:
I just published a pretty monster feature. The top 25 iOS games of all time:

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/119/1196670p1.html

Sorry it's 25 pages. Not my decision! Please read it anyway.
oh wow. Bumpy Road is 15!!! :O

Some good choices. I would have included Async Corp, Space invaders Infinity Gene and definitely Hellsing's Fire (which is talked about waaaay to little here. That game rocks, both in gameplay and presentation!), Tilt to live, Tiny Invaders and probably Espgaluda 2... Hm. And Eliss and Unify... And Mecapix. :D

bede-x

Yaboosh said:
The XBLIG version didn't do that did it? I thought that had a fixed, straight on perspective that didn't change as you switched from top to bottom of the screen.

Yes, it was fixed as it should be. Switching to a mix between overhead and into the screen hurts the basic mechanics and the only gain is some people might like the graphics more. Maybe it's good business sense, but it'll make for worse gameplay, as it always does when shmups adopt that perspective.

Hopefully there's a way to fix the viewpoint like the Xblig games.

Gaaraz

GDJustin said:
I just published a pretty monster feature. The top 25 iOS games of all time:

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/119/1196670p1.html
Quite happy that I've got all of the top 10 there, but some really good recommendations amongst that, thank you! As others have said, it's best read through this link, and it's also a bit of a shame (IMO) that the '25 best iPhone games' (the title of the page) has some iPad exclusives! :( As a best of iOS it's great though, thanks.

Jonnyram

Yeah, I was gonna say. There are some good games there, no doubt, but it's a pretty safe list.

Edit: no Carcassonne!? FUCK YOU.

Tailzo

I can't find Pirates! on my norwegian iphone appstore. Also, when I searched for "Sid Meier" I found a Civ Revolution with chinese text or something. Will it have english text if I download it?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Tailzo said:
I can't find Pirates! on my norwegian iphone appstore. Also, when I searched for "Sid Meier" I found a Civ Revolution with chinese text or something. Will it have english text if I download it?

It's iPad only.

Minsc

Gold Member
Tailzo said:
I bought it, Civ Rev was in chinese :( I really want it in english...

Like this (for the iPhone)? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. It's not 99c right now, like the other one is though.

Meier

I was surprised Hector wasn't on the list. I haven't played it yet but I've heard wonderful things. Got an appshopper alert and will snag once the price drops.

Another game I was surprised didn't make the list was The Spider (something something Manor?). Another title I haven't played but has had universal acclaim.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Re: My top 25 - as I said in my intro text, more than any other console, this is MY top 25, and not a definitive top 25. There's simply too many good games. Think about how people fight over console top 25s, and they have, what? 500 games? There's 70K on the App Store.

Anyway, GAF-exclusive, here are most of the games on the initial "short list" that didn't make the final top 25 cut. Sorry about the lack of Cave shooters:

Tiny Tower
Continuity 2
Swords and Soldiers
Feed Me Oil Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery LP
Robosockets
Papa Sangre
Fruit Ninja
Hector / Sam & Max / Monkey Island?
Helsing’s Fire
Geo Defense
Mr. Ninja
Kona’s Crate
No, Human
Super Stick Man Golf
Prose With Bros
Galcon Fusion
Galaxy on Fire 2
Ticket to Ride
Jetpack Joyride

Sure there's 70k games, but that doesn't really hold too much weight. i'd argue that on iOS there are less 'clearly great' games then on, say, GBA or PS2. That being said, doing a top 25 of GBA would be fucking impossible too ;)

Interesting list indeed!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Crom you know I love you. And I loved S&S. Like everyone else I raved about it when it came out, and rightly so. I have never played anything else like it, which doesn't happen often in this business. I still listen to the soundtrack almost daily.

But what can I say? It's a top 25. Not 26, or 35, or 50. S&S and Jetpack were the most painful cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom