• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ape2man

HTuran said:
Just saw this in the 'Customers also bought' section. Made me laugh, about as close to Advance Wars as you can get!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id445328590?mt=8

mzl.ehygnbew.320x480-75.jpg

there using advance wars assets. ripped from the rom ;)

Darb

Neo Member
wondermega said:
a couple things:

Also I have to recommend King Cashing (99c also) - RPG meets slot machines! What, right? Back to playing this as soon as I am done typing :)

mzl.hpjvxtjb.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.vfsfwjuu.320x480-75.jpg
Oh man, I wish I hadn't seen this post....King Cashing is phenomenal but so addicting!

beril

60_gig_PS3 said:
Helium boy is very impressive especially for made by 1 person youve got some real talent.
Actually you might want to think about doing a Wiiware port.

funny you should say that, I actually ported an old version to Wii a few years ago.. but through homebrew

I'm really intersted in making a 3DS version though. This game, more than pretty mcuh any other, would really benefit from stereoscopic 3D, as it's very difficult to judge the distance sometimes when your hovering in the air and trying to catch a star. I'd have to rent an office and stuff to become an approved developer by nintendo and I'm not sure I can afford that right now. I have some acquaintances working on 3DS games though so maybe I can work something out that way

beril

Mario said:
For the future, IMO, the most important/impactful things for sales in rough priority order are

- showing your game to Apple reps before release for chance at promotion
- cross promotion from within other apps
- having a great icon on the Store
- having a good name which speaks to what the game is
- having great screenshots on the Store
- press release announcing game a little ahead of time
- formal reviews

In the scheme of things, sending out promo codes is one of the least important things because web buzz/traffic doesn't translate into a lot of sales unless you have a crazy amount.

Thanks for all the advice. But how do I get in contact with an Apple rep?

quetz67

Banned
toythatkills said:
It's impossible to say. They're completely different games.
They are, but games with "levels" get indefinetily more of my playtime so my preference is Mirror's Edge easily.

quetz67

Banned
beril said:
So my game sold a whopping total of 14 copies on launch day. I figure I probably need some user reviews (among many other thing). If anyone feel like trying it out and leave a quick review (be honest but not brutal) PM me for a promo code.

The game is called Helium Boy. It's a cute little 3D platformer inspired by Balloon Fight and its gameboy sequel Balloon Kid. You fly through the levels using balloons and collect stars. Watch out for birds, ninjas and spikey things. If your balloons pop you can pump new ones and you can also let go of them at will and jump around without balloons. It requires GLES2.0 so iphone 3GS or later

sd2LL.jpg

Appstore
trailer
yeah PRMac...let them write a press release, if you are not talented doing it yourself, and get one of their release bundles. Do updates often and tell people about it.

After that send mails to all review sites that do free reviews. Include the press release, promo code and link to trailer/gameplay video. How about Twitter? Are you part of IDRTG, that might give a nice kickstart.

beril said:
You don't :) Apple is super secretive.

Your marketing efforts to get some publicity is actually a lot about getting apple's attention in the first place.

heringer

Dynamite Shikoku said:
does mirror's edge have levels? i thought they were both just endless runners on rooftops
Yes, it's level based. It's short but sweet. I don't fancy endless runners very much, so my vote goes to Mirror's Edge.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
beril said:

They tend to get in contact with you first. Otherwise, go to conferences and mingle. Or, er, PM me.

vareon

Intrigued by Dream Park's nice-looking graphics, I decided to try it. Unfortunately it's just the same tired freemium sim games.

Honestly, is there any good offline sim games on the iPad? How is Sim City?

hyp

jaggy race just received an update to make it a universal app. for all you iPad-only wielding folks, grab it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
hyp said:
jaggy race just received an update to make it a universal app. for all you iPad-only wielding folks, grab it.

Oh awesome, I was just thinking yesterday that it was a shame it wasn't universal. Time to play it all over again!

EDIT: it even remembers my scores from the iPhone vision, that's pretty neat. Although it does mean I won't be playing through the whole thing right away... The golds in this game are next to impossible for me, anyone else have more luck with it?

wilflare

kinda slow but just got my iPad back
can anyone update me on what's the different between Bit Trip Beat HD and Bit Trip Beat Blitz

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
wilflare said:
kinda slow but just got my iPad back
can anyone update me on what's the different between Bit Trip Beat HD and Bit Trip Beat Blitz
Basically that Blitz is universal.
Grab Blitz (I have both).

Zekes!

I just picked up an iPhone 4 a few days ago...what games/apps do you guys recommend? So far I have Tiny Tower and Swords & Sworcery and Zenonia 3.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Doh! I thought I had a 3rd generation iPod Touch, but it turns out it's a 2nd generation one.

I only learned this by not being able to sync Rage HD to my Touch.

Oh well, I should be getting a new iPhone 4S (first iPhone, yay!), so it wasn't a waste of money.

RedSwirl

Do we know if games will be able to store save files on iCloud once iOS5 hits? I'm holding off on a lot of them because I don't see the use of having both an iPhone and iPad version when the save files are separate.

Zekes! said:
I just picked up an iPhone 4 a few days ago...what games/apps do you guys recommend? So far I have Tiny Tower and Swords & Sworcery and Zenonia 3.

Read the previous... 5 or so pages. There is a few lists posted for people that asked the same question:)

I really wish Bastion would come to iOS. I think this game would be amazing on an iPad.

Zekes! said:
Game Dev Story, Super Swing Gold, Ace Attorney, Tiny Wings, World of Goo, Plants vs Zombies

beril said:
So my game sold a whopping total of 14 copies on launch day. I figure I probably need some user reviews (among many other thing). If anyone feel like trying it out and leave a quick review (be honest but not brutal) PM me for a promo code.

The game is called Helium Boy. It's a cute little 3D platformer inspired by Balloon Fight and its gameboy sequel Balloon Kid. You fly through the levels using balloons and collect stars. Watch out for birds, ninjas and spikey things. If your balloons pop you can pump new ones and you can also let go of them at will and jump around without balloons. It requires GLES2.0 so iphone 3GS or later

sd2LL.jpg

Appstore
trailer
Bought it brother! Writing a review now.

one_kill

Just started playing Pocket Academy yesterday and it has overtaken my life. It's a fun sim game, but it's starting to get repetitive. After I finish it, I'm moving to Hot Springs then Mega Mall.

Another game I've been enjoying recently is Slam Dunk King. I like how it's similar to Fruit Ninja, but it's rather annoying trying to earn enough to unlock content without paying for them.

Btw guys, any word game recommendations? I'm eyeing Bookworm and Wooords. Any opinions on them?

one_kill said:
Btw guys, any word games recommendations? I'm eyeing Bookworm and Wooords. Any opinions on them?
Bookworm is terrible. It's the only endless game on iOS that's probably literally endless. I deleted it half way through a game because it became clear it was never going to end.

WordJong is the best word game on iOS, followed by Words with Friends, I guess, unless Zynga have ballsed that up since I played last.

Lolerzors

beril said:

sd2LL.jpg

Appstore
trailer

Getting it now! I'll try to write a review when I have the time!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
beril said:

sd2LL.jpg

Appstore
trailer
Just bought it; looking forward to playing it this evening.

nofi

beril said:

sd2LL.jpg

Appstore
trailer

14? Crumbs. Our game launches on Friday - I'm going to be in for a shock, aren't I?

Anyway. Bought.

one_kill

toythatkills said:
Bookworm is terrible. It's the only endless game on iOS that's probably literally endless. I deleted it half way through a game because it became clear it was never going to end.

WordJong is the best word game on iOS, followed by Words with Friends, I guess, unless Zynga have ballsed that up since I played last.
Thanks for the advice! WordJong looks great!

Grr, still no Kairosoft games for the iPad. I have Grand Prix and Gamedev bought for Android but i would love to see them with on a bigger screen properly.

Any suggestions for tactic rpg's or sim-based games that are iPad native?

Synless

Reese-015 said:
I also thought that at first but then I immediately checked it again and they said it'll only run like this on the iPhone 4S (meaning: with god rays and self-shadowing). Mark Rein from Epic confirmed on twitter that it'll run on everything 3GS+.
The ipad 2 has to be able to have all of those effects. I find it hard to believe it that it wont.

Linkified

nofi said:
What do you mean, sorry?

Em I'll give you some examples basically its trying to get as high as you can within lets lets Top 50 Action games on the Appstore listing, by:

•Making frequent updates to their app to increase App Store visibility
•Offering a “lite” version of their paid app to stimulate trial
•Submitting their app to review blogs
•Soliciting user reviews within the App Store
•Making price cuts to stimulate demand

There are few other ways but its about being as close to 'Top Paid App' in games or 'Top Free App' so that the app is visible.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
nofi said:
14? Crumbs. Our game launches on Friday - I'm going to be in for a shock, aren't I?

Anyway. Bought.

Pimp that shit man! What's the game called, got any screenshots? There's a lot of us in this thread, hell we even have IGN's mobile man among our ranks.

quetz67

Banned
Linkified said:
Once you gain visibility on the appstore it is somewhat easier to sell units.
Usually you get into the "new & noteworthy" or "what's hot" anyway, but it may take some days

when and with which apps those get updated only Steve knows, but usually you get there...how high probably depends on quality and sales.

quetz67

Banned
Pimp that shit man! What's the game called, got any screenshots? There's a lot of us in this thread, hell we even have IGN's mobile man among our ranks.
Good idea, need to pimp our "shit" too. Still it is not in the games catagory, but has GameCenter achievements and leaderboards, a GPS and Hidden object treasure hunt, Quiz and will get more minigames with each version:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/timetours-chichen-itza/id417634504?mt=8

en_1_s.jpg
en_2_s.jpg
en_3_s.jpg
en_4_s.jpg
en_5_s.jpg

Gaspode_T

I broke down and got Dofus Battles since I like the art enough to pay 170 yen for (normally 500 yen), this must be the same universe as that XBLA game Islands of Wakfu??? Or France simply likes to make games with stories that make hardly any sense but have extremely beautiful art?

I could swear some of the gems go away if you don't tap them before another enemy is destroyed, some annoyances like that but otherwise it's pretty cool.

The weekly Donut Games sales have basically taught me that I should never buy one of their games, because they will eventually go on sale. I like their games a lot, so I'm kind of surprised they are going to this level, maybe they really need sales/word of mouth so here is one paragraph from me. Mexiballs is not bad.

The Pigs in Air or whatever game where you draw lines with pigs in planes is pretty well made, I thought it would be yet another Angry Birds clone but it turned out to be more like tower defense meets the "draw a line to fly plane" game.

There are some other strange Korean and Chinese games I've gotten for free (GameCenter), most of them seems to have IAP of some sort of another which is not explained very well in the the descriptions which is becoming my "insta-delete" pet peeve.

quetz67

Banned
beril said:
So how went day two? Numbers should be in!

Very curious if the 150,000 twitter followers made any difference

Talon

So, I was looking at Crimson Alliance, and it struck me: there have to be Gauntlet-style games on iOS right?

A proper Gauntlet Legends-successor with online co-op would be a god damn goldmine.

Meier

I just booted up Pocket Academy finally and this seems extremely complex. :O I was hoping to kind of half play it, half pay attention to work.. but I'm not sure this is the game for that.

Meier said:
I just booted up Pocket Academy finally and this seems extremely complex. :O I was hoping to kind of half play it, half pay attention to work.. but I'm not sure this is the game for that.
Yeah I feel the same way. I really got into GameDev but PocketAcad, in the 5 minutes I tried not too long ago, felt like they were throwing me into the pool without swimming lessons.

Meier

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Yeah I feel the same way. I really got into GameDev but PocketAcad, in the 5 minutes I tried not too long ago, felt like they were throwing me into the pool without swimming lessons.
Yeah, the instructions only pop up after you've clicked various things.. stuff is already built so I'm losing money right off the bat. I hired a few teachers and didn't have the money coming in.. had to fire one and then pay severance, etc. It's quite daunting.. sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom