• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hey guys, Brainsss has a new set of levels available. Just play the game while connected to the internet and you should get the levels.

gift code to the first person who can get it: TW4WNNEPMFHP

To whoever get's the code, it would be great to post and let me know what you think of the game.

Someone already took it - hope they post impressions! I'm really considering the game, but I need to get some reviews and thoughts!

I've been playing a lot of Hambo. Pretty fun game, and probably worth the buck. Might pick up Brainss soon based on the TA review and buzz on it. Plus, I like a developer who interacts with fans. Always good.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey guys, Brainsss has a new set of levels available. Just play the game while connected to the internet and you should get the levels.

To whoever get's the code, it would be great to post and let me know what you think of the game.

LOL, never gonna happen, lurkers will 99% of times get codes dropped this way... sorry.
Maybe post a couple of codes using the reveal code by quoting tag name game [/Xmail] where X is "e", if you fancy getting impressions.

Dash Kappei

I hate to make a post about this, but it's a reason for hating giveaways that I haven't seen mentioned yet. The problem with them is that they're no fun and not interesting to read for the people who don't win the codes. It was the same problem with the weekly "challenges" thing a while back, they were just a lot of noise for people not participating.

They where? We had a whopping ONE contest in-thread, after that each one had their own thread.
If you're talking about the one post I'd make with results and linking to the specific thread then clearly you should loosen up a bit and get ready because contests are coming back very soon (thanks Tunesmith!).

They where? We had a whopping ONE contest in-thread, after that each one had their own thread.
If you're talking about the one post I'd make with results and linking to the specific thread then clearly you should loosen up a bit and get ready because contests are coming back very soon (thanks Tunesmith!).

Highly anticipating participating in whatever challenges should come. Any idea what game is first?

I'm looking for a huge iPhone time sink. Some vague ideas about my ideal iOS game:

- Lots of micromanagement
- Simulation
- Strategy
- Turn-based, or no need to worry about acting fast
- Super deep - lots of different angles to take, knobs to tweak
- Engaging world, backstory
- Space trading, or civilization building, or squad building, or character development

Thats's a big list of things I like, some of which might be mutually exclusive. Its also incredibly broad because I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. Is there anything that fits at least some of those descriptors on iPhone? Am I asking too much of the platform?

The giveaways are insufferable. It's just marketing, plain and simple. Reading this thread is like browsing Craigslist now. Where's the conversation?

And to the gimmie gimmie freebie crowd: The little thrill you get from "winning" a free code is the sensation of being manipulated by price games. Play something you actually want to play for once.

Munin

I'm looking for a huge iPhone time sink. Some vague ideas about my ideal iOS game:

- Simulation
- Strategy
- Space trading, or civilization building, or squad building, or character development

Thats's a big list of things I like, some of which might be mutually exclusive. Its also incredibly broad because I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. Is there anything that fits at least some of those descriptors on iPhone? Am I asking too much of the platform?

Starbase Orion
King of Dragon Pass
Palm Kingdoms 2

fooyee

Neo Member
The giveaways are insufferable. It's just marketing, plain and simple. Reading this thread is like browsing Craigslist now. Where's the conversation?

And to the gimmie gimmie freebie crowd: The little thrill you get from "winning" a free code is the sensation of being manipulated by price games. Play something you actually want to play for once.

So don't post codes then? Last time I posted some guy gave me shit for promoting my game and not posting a code. That's why I included a code this time. Seems like another case where you're going to piss people off either way.

Fan of your work btw. Loved the podcast episode on pinball. I found it really informative.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Starbase Orion
King of Dragon Pass
Palm Kingdoms 2

This guy knows where it's at. Starbase Orion will be EXACTLY what you're looking for. Also, just because it always needs to be mentioned, Ravenmark is worth checking out for sure, turn-based strategy with TONS of content and a great game.

numble

Are there any free-app-a-day type sites for us UK users? All of the big ones seem like they're for US iTunes users only, which is a bit sucky. No love for any users from over the pond?

You should be able to make a free US account. There are a lot of guides on the net to show you how.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hello lovely Gaflings. I have one TapDragonDrop code for the first person to quote me, post the app icon, and tell me the colour of Mario's avatar on Gaf.
I don't mind the noise of code giveaways in the thread - its great to give things away, and lately it hasn't been so bad. I just kind of feel dirty when PikPok does things like make you go out and find the icon for their app, and have regular users continuously post it in an attempt to win something.

If people were just like "here's our game, first 5 PMs I get will get codes!" that'd be great. I mean, I get it - when your logo of your product is posted over and over again, it builds recognition and hopefully interest. I just wish their advertising was a little less blatant. There are definitely people who skim through this thread, looking for an app that's been posted about frequently, and because apps are so cheap, impulse buy it. I really don't mind overall, it just feels a bit dirty. =\

fooyee

Neo Member
Someone already took it - hope they post impressions! I'm really considering the game, but I need to get some reviews and thoughts!

There are some good reviews on Touch Arcade and iFanzine. We've been getting some mixed reviews overall, so I will say Brainsss definitely isn't for everybody. People either love the game or aren't really feeling it, which is fine.

The controls are different than every other game out there, so there's a bit of a learning curve and if you're expecting a hardcore RTS, you're going to be disappointed.

That being said, we've tried really hard to have depth, yet simplify the controls for the iOS. We've kept the GUI to a minimum, which is why we don't have things like saved groups. It just felt too cumbersome.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm interested in a game where I can build my own town, theme park, or something like that. The problem is a lot of these games have bullshit freemium models. I'm familiar with Kairosoft, but I'm not always a fan of their style. I would really like something like Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Any suggestions? I have an iPod Touch.

No one? :( I feel like there's gotta be a lot of these games on iOS I just don't know of any.

hey, you know the appstore twitter twittered about your game right? I"m expecting that; that will seriously help push your game out. called it a clever designed surivivor strategy or something.

fooyee

Neo Member
hey, you know the appstore twitter twittered about your game right? I"m expecting that; that will seriously help push your game out. called it a clever designed surivivor strategy or something.

Yeah we saw that. It was really nice of them to tweet us. As much as apple can be a pain to deal with sometimes they've really helped us out a lot. I'm really thankful for that.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I don't mind the noise of code giveaways in the thread - its great to give things away, and lately it hasn't been so bad. I just kind of feel dirty when PikPok does things like make you go out and find the icon for their app, and have regular users continuously post it in an attempt to win something.

If people were just like "here's our game, first 5 PMs I get will get codes!" that'd be great. I mean, I get it - when your logo of your product is posted over and over again, it builds recognition and hopefully interest. I just wish their advertising was a little less blatant. There are definitely people who skim through this thread, looking for an app that's been posted about frequently, and because apps are so cheap, impulse buy it. I really don't mind overall, it just feels a bit dirty. =\

Honestly at this point any logo that gets spammed in an ios board/thread for free codes makes me literally never try the game even if it's a free one.

Honestly at this point any logo that gets spammed in an ios board/thread for free codes makes me literally never try the game even if it's a free one.

I guess I'll pick up your slack then-because I've found a few games that I've really enjoyed quite a bit from that same method here that I would have never heard of otherwise. You certainly can't rely on the iTunes top 100 to find good games.

Smiley90

No one? :( I feel like there's gotta be a lot of these games on iOS I just don't know of any.

I had a surprising amount of fun with the G5 games (e.g. Virtual City). There is IAP, but it's definitely not necessary (just gold). The full game goes for 4.99 but was free before, which is when I got it, I have no idea what the free game contains unfortunately :/ The game is a lot like the old Tycoon games, where you connect resource/production-chains and transport stuff, less city building... still had fun though, there's challenges and sandbox.

EDIT: Oh that reminds me, didn't Tribez HD get a lot of praise in here?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
ib1vLLgYZzUPMs.gif

buhdeh

Oh man. Max Payne was such a waste of my freemyapps credits. Controls are terrible and the movement is so jerky that it's nauseating just trying to play it. Ugh.

Smiley90

Oh man. Max Payne was such a waste of my freemyapps credits. Controls are terrible and the movement is so jerky that it's nauseating just trying to play it. Ugh.

I'm saving my credits up for the inevitable Infinity Blade Dungeons.

Zoc

Was it just the one time? Credit where credit's due, you took the hint and moved it out of the main thread.

Here's an idea for the code giveaways: every time you give one away, encourage the people who get one to come back and give their thoughts on the game. This couldn't be enforced, obviously, but just something along the lines "don't forget to come back and tell us what you thought!" with each giveaway. If just a few people did so, it would make giveaways less of a complete waste of time for all the people not getting codes.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If you are in Ireland, I have a spare code for LostWinds picked up in Starbucks this morning. Well, the fine print at least says it'll only work on the Ireland store.

FLKWX3JKWWXH

Let me know if you redeem it so I can edit this post.

zoukka

Damn spend money on Defense Chronicles just on GAF recommendations and after the glorious kingdom rush it looks and plays like shit. Damn.

Minsc

Gold Member
Damn spend money on Defense Chronicles just on GAF recommendations and after the glorious kingdom rush it looks and plays like shit. Damn.

That's quite harsh! :p It looks great to me (or at least like this), you can zoom out and the 2D is nice. It's not that withdrawn from Kingdom Rush either... you get fighter towers to sap passing units while ranged towers hit them from a distance, lots of tower upgrades, and probably the most units on the screen at once of any TD I can think of. The levels are also extremely challenging on the higher difficulties as well, and I enjoy the RPG aspect a lot more than Kingdom Rush.

zoukka

That's quite harsh! :p It looks great to me (or at least like this), you can zoom out and the 2D is nice. It's not that withdrawn from Kingdom Rush either... you get fighter towers to sap passing units while ranged towers hit them from a distance, lots of tower upgrades, and probably the most units on the screen at once of any TD I can think of. The levels are also extremely challenging on the higher difficulties as well, and I enjoy the RPG aspect a lot more than Kingdom Rush.

Yeah it's too soon to judge the game in depth, but the presentation/tutorial was just a slap to the face. The first impression is that of a flash game from 10 years ago :b The animations are so bad...

Maybe I should just take a break from the genre after the perfection that was KR.

Manik

You should be able to make a free US account. There are a lot of guides on the net to show you how.

Oh really? Excellent. I'll have a browse around and give that a go. Thanks for the reply!

Edit: Do I need to use a card registered to a US address in order to download things from itunes? That might be a stumbling block :(

GeekyDad

I wouldn't say it's that bad, but I do agree, the giveaways can completely derail the focus of the thread on some days. Some days seem worse than others, but just for practicality, there should probably be a separate thread for codes, promos, and giveaways. I don't have an issue with the whole thing. I think it's a great way for devs to promote their product, and those folks who don't mind jumping through hoops can. But to saturate a thread dedicated to the discussion of games...well, it kinda fucking sucks.

And on that note, gonna go play some more Spellsword.

ToxicAdam

Taken from the Pinball Arcade thread:

Funhouse and Cirqus Voltaire have been approved by WMS for release! We wish that we had dates to announce exactly when. We understand your frustration. In an effort to keep you guys up to date with the latest news, we will be posting and updating the status of each platform more regularly. Here is today's update:

iOS - An update with DLC Pack #2 (Funhouse and Cirqus Voltaire) will be submitted to Apple this week. It should be approved and released by the middle of the month. The update that adds DLC Pack #3 in June will include Game Center and an improved login method for our leaderboards.

Ghost Trick has iCloud syncing. Every other game needs to step it up. :p

This game also has great animations.

I've never had it do anything of value though; once, the game was nuked from my iPad by a botched iTunes sync and the iCloud stuff failed to do anything useful when I reinstalled it. Ended up just doing a full device restore to get my save data back.

Gaspode_T

- Simulation
- Strategy

Man if you haven't played Tropico you should...don't think it is on iOS though

Have you played Dungeon Raid? It fits the time sink bill

Dash Kappei

Highly anticipating participating in whatever challenges should come. Any idea what game is first?

Yes. i won't tell yet tho, don't want people training and then get burned before the challenge comes :p
It'll be a classic, to get the ball rolling again with a big number of participants and then from there we'll see and choose something more fresh.

edit: LMAO@Fuu that really made me laugh while laying on a bed of this fucking hospital, thanks man :D

@Zoc: yeah mate, just with the Canabalt contest, it's in the op. :)

Gaspode_T

Too bad the game Orbital is not on ios it would be perfect for a challenge...

Classic...please no runners or games with wing flapping birds of any sort

QP3

Picking up an iPhone later today.

Can someone briefly explain this "freemyapps" to me? From what I understand, you download apps from their site,
which gives you credits that can be redeemed for paid apps on the app store. Is this accurate? Thanks!

Starbase Orion
King of Dragon Pass
Palm Kingdoms 2

Great recommendations everyone. I am sad that my overview thread was closed, as this is exactly the kind of information I wanted to put in there. I'll try to find another way to collect all the recommendations in these threads elsewhere outside of GAF, and post a link here.

Manik

Can someone briefly explain this "freemyapps" to me? From what I understand, you download apps from their site,
which gives you credits that can be redeemed for paid apps on the app store. Is this accurate? Thanks!

That's pretty much it, yup. Download their sponsor apps, use them for 30 seconds then the credits go into your account. You can go ahead and delete them after that and redeem your credits for whichever app you fancy from their site.

US iTunes accounts only, however.

AEREC

Thats the gist of it. Though you cant use points on anything on the app store, just the ones freemyapps allows you to purchase.

QP3

Thats the gist of it. Though you cant use points on anything on the app store, just the ones freemyapps allows you to purchase.

Ok, thanks I'll try it out.

I also have a 100$ gift card to the app store, most of which will likely be dedicated to buying games. What are the must haves that aren't the most popular, or that I might not know about? (i.e. not angry birds, fruit ninja, etc.)

I especially enjoy rpg's, and strategy/thinking games.

AEREC

I also have a 100$ gift card to the app store, most of which will likely be dedicated to buying games. What are the must haves that aren't the most popular, or that I might not know about? (i.e. not angry birds, fruit ninja, etc.)

Beat Sneak Bandit
Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery
Jetpack Joyride

Sounds like Ghost Trick would be right up your alley! And have to second Beat Sneak Bandit as well.

numble

Oh really? Excellent. I'll have a browse around and give that a go. Thanks for the reply!

Edit: Do I need to use a card registered to a US address in order to download things from itunes? That might be a stumbling block :(

No, I think they don't ask you for a credit card/address if you register a certain way. Downloading a free app or something. They have to accomodate all those kids with iPod Touches that download free stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom