• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubnbob

Banned
I especially enjoy rpg's, and strategy/thinking games.

bwoop bwoop RPG post, incoming list

anything by square-enix
the bard's tale
shining force
mecho wars
ravenmark
hunters
ash
aralon
guardian saga
dragon fantasy
squids
doom 2 rpg
wolfenstein rpg
adventure bar story
across age dx
great little war game
silversword
battleloot adventures
crimson gem saga
the war of eustrath
wizardry
vay

Manik

No, I think they don't ask you for a credit card/address if you register a certain way. Downloading a free app or something. They have to accomodate all those kids with iPod Touches that download free stuff.

Oh, even better, that's good news! Thanks very much for your help, numble :)

QP3

Beat Sneak Bandit
Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery
Jetpack Joyride

Sounds like Ghost Trick would be right up your alley! And have to second Beat Sneak Bandit as well.

anything by square-enix
the bard's tale
shining force
mecho wars
ravenmark
hunters
ash
aralon
guardian saga
dragon fantasy
squids
doom 2 rpg
wolfenstein rpg
adventure bar story
across age dx
great little war game
silversword
battleloot adventures
crimson gem saga
the war of eustrath
wizardry
vay

Thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like I have plenty of options, a lot of these look great.

GeekyDad

Ok, thanks I'll try it out.

I also have a 100$ gift card to the app store, most of which will likely be dedicated to buying games. What are the must haves that aren't the most popular, or that I might not know about? (i.e. not angry birds, fruit ninja, etc.)

I especially enjoy rpg's, and strategy/thinking games.

Waking Mars, and someone else already mentioned Sword & Sworcery. And since you said you like strategy, Amoebattles is a great, little RTS that just came out. Spellsword is...addiction, as is Zombie Highway. Run Roo Run.

And beyond all other iOS games:

Dungeon Raid -- the game should come stock on every single iOS device.

Pastry

Banned
Touch Arcade app is live, you can see reviews and read the forums from the app but the main appeal is that it shows you games that are getting attention from their users to help discover what you may overlook.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=509945427&mt=8

App is really nice (not universal), much better than their website and you don't have to deal with those giant horrible banners. I'm hoping an update to their website is the next thing on the to-do list.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm looking for a huge iPhone time sink. Some vague ideas about my ideal iOS game:

- Lots of micromanagement
- Simulation
- Strategy
- Turn-based, or no need to worry about acting fast
- Super deep - lots of different angles to take, knobs to tweak
- Engaging world, backstory
- Space trading, or civilization building, or squad building, or character development

Thats's a big list of things I like, some of which might be mutually exclusive. Its also incredibly broad because I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. Is there anything that fits at least some of those descriptors on iPhone? Am I asking too much of the platform?

I think that Final Fantasy Tactics might fit the bill for you. Very lengthy and very deep tbs game. should keep you going for hours and hours. You may also enjoy Hunters 2, it's a tbs too but is a lot more action-oriented. Kept me going for around 25 hours too.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
And beyond all other iOS games:

Dungeon Raid -- the game should come stock on every single iOS device.

This game was released forever ago and hasn't been updated in well over a year...and isn't available at all on the iPad...is that right?

This game was released forever ago and hasn't been updated in well over a year...and isn't available at all on the iPad...is that right?

Regardless it's awesome. And deceptively complex. At first it seems like Bejewled and then about 5 minutes in, everything clicks and you "get it".

App is really nice (not universal), much better than their website and you don't have to deal with those giant horrible banners. I'm hoping an update to their website is the next thing on the to-do list.

They're hoping to have it universal in the next update. From what I've seen, they aren't happy with what they have for the iPad side of things quite yet and didn't want to release it in a bad state. They wanted to release a solid foundation for the app and then plan on updating it with improvements. I guess they have metrics for everything within the damn app.

atre324

I had a surprising amount of fun with the G5 games (e.g. Virtual City). There is IAP, but it's definitely not necessary (just gold). The full game goes for 4.99 but was free before, which is when I got it, I have no idea what the free game contains unfortunately :/ The game is a lot like the old Tycoon games, where you connect resource/production-chains and transport stuff, less city building... still had fun though, there's challenges and sandbox.

EDIT: Oh that reminds me, didn't Tribez HD get a lot of praise in here?

Yeah, Tribez HD is really a lot of fun. I'm up to the third island and having a blast with it. It's a lot like other resource management and city building games, but there's a lot of added depth with tons of quests and an overarching story to go through. It's definitely one of the best resource management games on the ipad, and this is coming from someone who has played a ton of them.

It's probably on the shorter side, it's only taken me about 3 weeks to get to the third island and I'm guessing just under 2 months to finish all the quests. There's a 4th island they added in the last update, but there's no way to get there yet. They seem to be supporting the game decently well with updates so I really hope they keep adding stuff to keep me interested after I cap everything out.

I should really post some screenshots at some point...

ToxicAdam

Tribez is top-notch. I'm on my second island and it's still as addictive as ever. They did really well on the balancing in this game and the polish on it is terrific. Money/resources come in at just a good enough of a clip to where you don't get bored or you blow through the game too fast. After you settle in, you log in for about 10 minutes every few hours and plan your next path of growth.

It really would be a perfect Iphone game, but it's just too much for it to handle.

Heel

Yeah, Tribez HD is really a lot of fun. I'm up to the third island and having a blast with it.

ibtVgydwfKnm9G.gif

There's...more islands?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
They where? We had a whopping ONE contest in-thread, after that each one had their own thread.
If you're talking about the one post I'd make with results and linking to the specific thread then clearly you should loosen up a bit and get ready because contests are coming back very soon (thanks Tunesmith!).

It's gonna be guud.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I had a surprising amount of fun with the G5 games (e.g. Virtual City). There is IAP, but it's definitely not necessary (just gold). The full game goes for 4.99 but was free before, which is when I got it, I have no idea what the free game contains unfortunately :/ The game is a lot like the old Tycoon games, where you connect resource/production-chains and transport stuff, less city building... still had fun though, there's challenges and sandbox.

Thank you for this, I'll check these out. :)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Chiming in on this, I'd recommend Virtual City Playground over Virtual City (full). It's freemium and essentially the sandbox mode of building a city with misc goals earning you in-game currency to spend on further developing the city. You use up 'energy' doing actions that then re-charge with completed goals or over time. I've spent an ungodly amount of hours on this game without spending a dime on the IAPs.

Azriell

Picked up Bards Tale awhile ago when I heard about the includion of the classic games. I tried the ps2 Bards Tale, and it ran like shit on my iPod touch 4th gen. Picked up an iPad 2 for pretty cheap, decided to try it again, and wow I'm really loving it now.

It's genuinely funny, and the controls really work on the larger screen. Also as an aside, I've noticed that I keep my iPad's volume cranked up, whereas I almost always keep my iPod muted. Maybe it's the louder speakers, I'm not sure. But The Bard's Tale is a great example of how audio cam enhance an experience, aside from just the normal "cinamatic" stuff.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
In City Life Playground how do you destroy trees? They are seriously screwing up my layout, and the "destroy" bulldozer doesn't destroy trees.

If you mean Virtual City Playground(?) you can just build over regular forest trees with whatever. The bulldozer should work as well in clearing them out however.

Manik

It's such a shame Quarrel doesn't have a multiplayer option. It would be the perfect word game to play against other people, instead of just the AI.

Apparently the 360 version has it, but is there any chance of them adding it in an update to the ios app in the future?

If you mean Virtual City Playground(?) you can just build over regular forest trees with whatever. The bulldozer should work as well in clearing them out however.

Oh, yeah, Virtual City Playground. It doesn't let me bulldoze trees, and if I try to build over them, it just shows that location as red.

edit: Odd, it lets me destroy the trees when there is just one by itself, but if its a cluster of trees on one square, it doesn't. WTF.

What's the best Cave shmup for iPad?

Espgaluda 2 HD $13.99
Bug Princess 2 $6.99
DoDonPachi Ressurection HD $13.99

Which one offers the most replay value?
I've played the lite versions of these apps and found all of them fun, I just don't know which one to buy.

BigDug13

anything by square-enix
the bard's tale
shining force
mecho wars
ravenmark
hunters
ash
aralon
guardian saga
dragon fantasy
squids
doom 2 rpg
wolfenstein rpg
adventure bar story
across age dx
great little war game
silversword
battleloot adventures
crimson gem saga
the war of eustrath
wizardry
vay
Don't forget The Quest. A Daggerfall-ish first person adventure but with turn based combat instead of real time.

Get the Quest Gold version as it adds 3 of the expansions for only $2 more.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Wow. The touch arcade app seems to be pretty well done. I know there is a lot of dislike of TA here, but the app seems to be a good way to keep up with some of the new releases and whatnot.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Oh, yeah, Virtual City Playground. It doesn't let me bulldoze trees, and if I try to build over them, it just shows that location as red.

edit: Odd, it lets me destroy the trees when there is just one by itself, but if its a cluster of trees on one square, it doesn't. WTF.

Yeah certain 'objects' are indestructible, usually ponds or fenced structures etc. also mountain ranges near the edges of the map. Other smaller hills etc can be destroyed with investment tickets (the premium IAP currency you earn slowly). I highly recommend using a dummy Facebook account to post 'goal completion' updates to whenever the game wants to award you with extra tickets for posting them btw, you earn quite a bit that way.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
NEED HELP:

What's the name of that iOS game where you're a boy running and jumping from planet to planet and there's a big happy sun in the sky the whole time. Incogimoto or something like that? Also, how is it - because I intend to buy it as soon as I can figure out what it's called.

Pastry

Banned
NEED HELP:

What's the name of that iOS game where you're a boy running and jumping from planet to planet and there's a big happy sun in the sky the whole time. Incogimoto or something like that? Also, how is it - because I intend to buy it as soon as I can figure out what it's called.

Incoboto and it is awesome, highly recommend it. It's iPad only though.

Jedeye Sniv said:
I finally completed Incoboto tonight. I played it in little bursts, especially when I got stuck, but the game was really a joy to play. For those that don't know, it's a puzzle platformer with these Galaxy-esque spherical worlds, but with mind bending environment puzzles more like a metroidvania game or even Portal. I was pleasantly surprised by how approachable the game was, although some of the puzzles were a bit too fiddly at times, and the later worlds could be daunting with their size. The game helpfully hints to the next star pieces you need though, and leads you through gently without handholding too much.

Espgaluda 2 HD $13.99
Bug Princess 2 $6.99

Which one offers the most replay value?
I've played the lite versions of these apps and found all of them fun, I just don't know which one to buy.

That's sort of like asking me which of my fingers are my favorite. I own every last one. =/

If you really can't get them all you could just spend more time with the demos and figure out which one you really enjoy the most - no one else can tell you that.

Wow. The touch arcade app seems to be pretty well done. I know there is a lot of dislike of TA here, but the app seems to be a good way to keep up with some of the new releases and whatnot.

It really is. I know I'm probably considered biased now or something, but it really is a great app for discovery.

Espgaluda 2 HD $13.99
Bug Princess 2 $6.99

DoDonPachi Resurrection (and DDPR HD) were my favorites until Bug Princess 2. It doesn't have the high res assets but it still looks great, and definitely the one I've had the most fun with. That said you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I got an automated message from TouchArcade about their app release (I didn't even know I had a forum account there...)

I found it kind of funny that the email didn't include an "unsubscribe" or "don't send me emails like this" link. Wonder if that was on purpose... =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom