• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone 4 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
xJrmI.jpg

The iPhone 4

Released: June 24, 2010

New to the iPhone:

Operating System: iOS 4.0
Battery Capacity: 1420 mAh
Processor: Apple A4 ARM Cortex-A8 clocked at 1GHz
Memory: 512MB of eRAM (note same amount as Xbox 360)
Storage: 16 or 32 GB
Display: eIPS LCD 960 x 640 with 326 dpi
New Gyroscope
Camera: 5 MP on rear, standard VGA on front. Capable of taking 720p video
Phone features: "facetime" face to face video chat only over WiFi, though it may be possible on MiFi
Dimensions: 115.2 mm (4.54 in) (h) 58.66 mm (2.309 in) (w) 9.3 mm (0.37 in) (d)
Glass: Front is some form of Gorilla Glass

To get a more in-depth look at the features and watch the announcement video, go to Apple's iPhone 4 Features page

Screenshot of the home screen at native resolution
iphonehonescreen.jpg

Known Issues:

~Holding the phone with the left hand pressed against the lower left corner will degrade signal quality:
When asked how to fix this problem, Apple responded, "Just avoid holding it that way"

~Some units shipped with "yellow" screens, but apparently fade away over time.

~"Gorilla Glass-but not quite" on front can be broken after dropped 4 times.

Proximity sensor malfunctions.
http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/715983-iphone-4-proximity-sensor-malfunctions-reported.html (thanks, Dreams-visions)

Random useful links:
(will be updating, check back)

~iFixit's teardown of the iPhone 4.

~Will it Blend? (hint: yes)

My first iMovie HD video (not for clicking with iPhone, see link below) (iPhone normal resolution video)

For good wallpapers:

http://www.iphone4wallpaper.com/
http://dailyiphoneblog.com/iphone-4-wallpapers/

The BEST $0.99 case you will buy for your iPhone 4. Takes ~ 1-2 weeks to arrive.

The iPhone 4 Case Program has officially started - download the app for your iPhone and order it directly from the app. It's a snap! Link here (will take you to iTunes store)
screen-case-app-20100723.jpg

FYI, the highest rated case is the Speck Pixelskin HD, and the lowest is (of course) the Apple Bumper - for a few reasons, the main ones being only semi-protection (back side unprotected), and only low-profile proprietary chargers will fit into the bottom of the bumper (not third party ones like many for your car and whatnot).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
about time this got its own thread. I hate the giant mega threads that start off as one thing and mutate into another.

bonesquad

In this thread we discuss everything about the iPhone, again.

I really wish I ordered a bumper with my phone. They are nowhere to be found... Might as well wait and order a white one now.

I went through all the preordering online nonsense and some idiocy with Verizon to get this phone based solely on the hardware. So, so worth what has essentially been a three-year hold-out for the iPhone.

Posted this in the WWDC thread but I use Bluetooth headphones with my iPhone and the lack of AVRCP is a little disappointing, but not a big deal. My only nitpick so far, not even the antenna.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Meant to post this here...

dark10x said:
OK, I'm having a couple of problems and I'm curious to know if anyone has any ideas...

1) The phone refuses to remember my WiFi network. Every single time I leave and return, the phone just remains on 3G rather than reconnecting to WiFi. I have to manually connect every time. This was never the case with my 3GS.

2) It takes 4 times as long to connect to my car over Bluetooth compared to the 3GS. I don't get this. It WILL connect every time, but it takes at least 2-3 minutes. Don't get it.

Other than that, it works a treat, but I'd love to solve these issues.

numble

Y2Kev said:
Honestly, we're working really hard to get people to post about new things in new threads, so a thread made last October and recently updated is suboptimal.
5-6 iPhone threads on the front OT page is also suboptimal, IMO. But they are all about different and new things.

Finally got my phone. MAH RETINAZ and all that jazz. It's really nice but I'm just more happy that I don't have to wait in anymore lines. Next year I'm waiting up for the preorders so I can get one shipped. Fuck launch lines.

Ermac said:
Whitey's, unite! Who else is waiting for the white?
Me. I want them to let me order it again on the Apple Store. "White iPhone currently unavailable for order or in-store pickup" I know it won't be around until the second half of July, but if I can order the Black one that won't be available until that same time I should be able to order the White one too.

Me and my false sense of entitlement.

HomShaBom said:
I'll update my post when you update OP
I'd say it's about time. I held up my end of the bargain.

Edit: gotta jet (it's it's Friday night after all, but I'll make custom images and crap like that soon enough)

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Excuse me for my ignorance, but can someone explain to me exactly what the gyroscope is/does?

Major Williams said:
Still haven't got yours yet? When did you order?

Shit. If you preordered on the 16th, or AT&T or Apple didn't get your order until the 16th, you were probably filed under "July 2nd" shipments.

qiFMC.jpg

You know, for better or worse, that's probably the best picture of the moon I've taken from outside my bedroom window.

Marty Chinn said:
Wow, that explains how I heard a beep during a call today. Good to know but I wonder how they plan to fix this.
I assume they can recalibrate the sensitivity via software. unless there's just something wrong with a subset of phones. I wouldn't recommend keeping it if most people aren't having this problem.

Vyer

I see the app store has a section for apps 'optimized' for the 4. Anyone got any others to add to the list?

I'd shied away from buying some of the new games since I had a 3G and figured they'd run like dog shit. Looking for some good stuff to add now.

Also, since I didn't have voice control on the 3G: what are the range of functions for it? Anything beyond 'Call X'?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Vyer said:
I see the app store has a section for apps 'optimized' for the 4. Anyone got any others to add to the list?

I'd shied away from buying some of the new games since I had a 3G and figured they'd run like dog shit. Looking for some good stuff to add now.

Also, since I didn't have voice control on the 3G: what are the range of functions for it? Anything beyond 'Call X'?
I've been waiting for a good phone to finally be able to run Dungeon Hunter smoothly and perfectly. I have been, and it's great. It's a Diablo clone basically. I'm loving it. :D

numble

Cryptozoologist said:
If I buy a US iPhone4 will I be able to put in a CDMA sim card and use it in China?
If there is a unlock released (and there hasn't been one yet). It might be better to wait for the Canada or Hong Kong release, where you'll be able to purchase factory-unlocked versions. Is there such a thing as CDMA sim card? You'll be best to go with China Unicom, which has 3G plans starting under $10 (66 RMB/month) for 300MB, including a lot of minutes and text messages. Plans increase at a rate of about $4.50 (30 RMB) for extra 100-150MB. You might need to find someone to cut the SIM card for you if China Unicom doesn't offer micro-SIMs.

I don't think the iPhone is compatible with China Mobile's 3G network, but I don't know what the story is about other Chinese carriers.

Well I'm on iPhone 4 #2

Apparently mine had the 'suspend/sleep mode I wont wake the fuck up' problem. It just would die.. And I would have to hold the power and home button for 15 secs each TWICE to get it to reboot. It did it over 10+ times in a 24 hours. When I took it to the Genius Bar they couldn't even get it to turn on and their system couldn't even do a restore if they tried. They declared it a lemon and got me a new one instantly :)

This one works fine.. No antenna issues, no yellow screen, no proximity issues that I know of. YAY

Oh and I just ordered this for my case (preordered) Gonna get them to custom engrave it.

4gmockup_1_large.png

Now is when I sit back and let all the guinea pigs have at it. Still digging my 2nd generation Iphone, will upgrade, but only after the kinks are worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom