• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone 4 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mafro

Anyone tried out the new version of TweetDeck yet? It's great and so much better than the last version. Looks a lot more pleasing to the eye than the official Twitter app, and it seems to load tweets faster. Only things it's really missing are push notifications and TwitPic support, which are being added in with the next update.

dream said:
Okay, so I'm sympathetic to anyone this affects but dammit...

ATT_Tethering_Msg-266x400.png

That is so awesomely passive-aggressive.
Wouldn't ATT making those changes to your account invalidate your contract?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Technosteve said:
should i upgrade my 3Gs to 4S or wait for iphone 5 ;_;

I've got a 3G and I'm wondering the same question. I'm kinda tempted to let my current contract run out and just buy a phone out-and-out so I'm not constrained going forward.

giga

CUPERTINO, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Apple® today announced that the white iPhone® 4 will be available beginning tomorrow. White iPhone 4 models will be available from Apple’s online store (www.apple.com), at Apple’s retail stores, AT&T and Verizon Wireless stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers.

“We appreciate everyone who has waited patiently while we’ve worked to get every detail right.” “The white iPhone 4 has finally arrived and it’s beautiful,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “We appreciate everyone who has waited patiently while we’ve worked to get every detail right.”

White models of iPhone 4 will be available in Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Macau, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, UK and the US, beginning Thursday, April 28 and in many more countries around the world soon. White iPhone 4 will be available for a suggested retail price of $199 (US) for the 16GB model and $299 (US) for the 32GB model with a new two year agreement through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), at Apple’s retail stores, AT&T and Verizon Wireless stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers.

http://www.apple.com/pr/

mrkgoo

Burger said:
Phil Schiller on why the white iPhone 4 was so hard to make:

http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/201...hy-making-the-white-iphone-was-so-darn-tough/

It's nice to see they waited so long, instead of feeling so much pressure they had to launch a product that wouldn't last or work properly.

No antenna jokes please.

It's possible it was related to the antenna thing. They certainly couldn't do with a second consumer fallout. It gives the impression that they do want to do things right, which is important. They show to people that, sure things slip up sometimes, but that if they do know, they will try to make it right. Anther you believe that or not is up to you, but I can see what they were going for.

Perhaps if the issue wasn't that large to begin with, and there was no controversy about the antenna, they might have just released it. Who knows.

Zeth

So my 30 day exchange window ends on the 30th and the white iPhone 4 is now releasing on the 28th. I shouldn't have a problem exchanging black for white, right? I'll happily pay the 10% restocking fee.

I just hate this AT&T store and I'm scared of an employee telling me I can't do it. Reassure me? Haha.

Burger

mrkgoo said:
It's possible it was related to the antenna thing. They certainly couldn't do with a second consumer fallout. It gives the impression that they do want to do things right, which is important. They show to people that, sure things slip up sometimes, but that if they do know, they will try to make it right. Anther you believe that or not is up to you, but I can see what they were going for.

Perhaps if the issue wasn't that large to begin with, and there was no controversy about the antenna, they might have just released it. Who knows.

I heard that it was not only difficult to get the pigment white enough, but i suspect it was also a materials issue.

What I mean by materials issue is getting the pigment to bond to the glass. Look at this image:

fnqiJ.png

Is it a pigment bonded to glass? Or is the glass actually white? It looks like the latter, and I assume the delay was getting the glass to have the same properties as the black iPhone, but adding whatever ingredient used as a white pigment (probably titanium) without upsetting the aforementioned properties.

In the printing world, making a light material black is very easy. Making a non white material white is very difficult.

jts

...hate me...
Apple doesn't take 1 year to fix stuff though. They had issues that postponed the white iPhone 4 launch at first, but IMO they reevaluated the situation based on the black iPhone sales and ended up holding out on white one for strategy purposes, namely giving an extra kick to the device's lifespan so it can hold up til September.

kehs

Banned
Burger said:
I heard that it was not only difficult to get the pigment white enough, but i suspect it was also a materials issue.

What I mean by materials issue is getting the pigment to bond to the glass. Look at this image:

fnqiJ.png

Is it a pigment bonded to glass? Or is the glass actually white? It looks like the latter, and I assume the delay was getting the glass to have the same properties as the black iPhone, but adding whatever ingredient used as a white pigment (probably titanium) without upsetting the aforementioned properties.

In the printing world, making a light material black is very easy. Making a non white material white is very difficult.

im gonna go with the milking excuse

mrkgoo

jts said:
Apple doesn't take 1 year to fix stuff though. They had issues that postponed the white iPhone 4 launch at first, but IMO they reevaluated the situation based on the black iPhone sales and ended up holding out on white one for strategy purposes, namely giving an extra kick to the device's lifespan so it can hold up til September.

I think it can take a long time to get things changed, from getting manufacturers to switch production and so on, but Apple are generally pretty good, so I do think there is small amount of truth to what you said. Why not fill a gap if you're going to have a longer product cycle for the iPhone4?

They would typically work on products well before they're announced (I'm talking years, here), and I'm also guessing they had their hands full with iPad/iPad2 as well, not to mention CDMA iPhone.

Burger: yeah, I haven't seen one in person, but there can be a lot of issues when making something white. Not sure if they're actually making it white glass, though. It can appear that way through an edge because of refraction, but it sounds really tough to fuse two kinds of glass together like that with such a straight edge for the screen. Not to mention the glass would be very translucent.

white_iphone_title_20110428.png

Lol.

I always wanted a white iPhone 4. I was returning to New Zealand at the time, so I vowed not to upgrade until I could get a factory unlocked one, and I just tacked on the whole 'wait for a white one' as an aded excuse. Then I found I couldn't afford to buy one, and then it became nearly a year later.

I'm still on a 3G, so it has been excruciating. Going to Taiwan soon, and if it's significantly cheaper for a white one, I might crack. But A5 is so close....

numble

Are they unlocked in New Zealand? They are in Taiwan.

If you're going to Taiwan for a very long time, you could get one for free on a 2 year, ~$45 US/month contract.

mrkgoo

numble said:
Are they unlocked in New Zealand? They are in Taiwan.

If you're going to Taiwan for a very long time, you could get one for free on a 2 year, ~$45 US/month contract.

Sweet - so all iphones on all carriers in Tawian are completely unlocked?

Yes, NZ is totally unlocked for all iPhones, as far as I know.

numble

mrkgoo said:
Sweet - so all iphones on all carriers in Tawian are completely unlocked?

Yes, NZ is totally unlocked for all iPhones, as far as I know.
Yep, all unlocked, even if on contract. Don't think of trying to get into a contract and then flying out of there with no intention of paying per month though, I think you need to pay all or a big part of it upfront. Basically, you go to the store, pay for 2 years of service, they give you a free phone, and you don't bother with bills for 2 years, or you only pay $5/month and they deduct the rest from your deposit or whatever. I think that's how it works.

You can also just buy it off-contract. I guess you can compare the prices/exchange rates or whatever. I think it works out to Hong Kong iPhones being the cheapest in the world due to no VAT or sales tax, don't know about Taiwan.

RDreamer

Anyone else ever had a problem with the inbox icon. Suddenly my icon shows that I have 2 unread emails, but I do not. They're nowhere to be found. I've tried everything I can think of with that account. I just got finished deleting and readding it and it's still stuck at 2.

mYm|17|

Stumpokapow said:
I've got a 3G and I'm wondering the same question. I'm kinda tempted to let my current contract run out and just buy a phone out-and-out so I'm not constrained going forward.
I am in the same boat. My contract ran out last June............:lol
I was just too poor to get an iphone 4 at the time and my 3G is about to die on me.

RDreamer said:
Anyone else ever had a problem with the inbox icon. Suddenly my icon shows that I have 2 unread emails, but I do not. They're nowhere to be found. I've tried everything I can think of with that account. I just got finished deleting and readding it and it's still stuck at 2.

I get this problem every now and then, to fix it I have to go into the specific account, from within the accounts section, that has the unread emails and mark them as read. It's not good enough to just go into the inbox section.

RDreamer

LyleLanley said:
I get this problem every now and then, to fix it I have to go into the specific account, from within the accounts section, that has the unread emails and mark them as read. It's not good enough to just go into the inbox section.

Still nothing there either. It's all read.

RDreamer said:
Still nothing there either. It's all read.

Hmm, that's weird, do you have good service right now? Sometimes I find it takes a little while to properly update. Also, have you tried restarting your phone?

NYR

dream said:
I hope the tech blogs publish reviews of the white iPhone 4.
It's all about hits and ad revenue. Of course they will review it. It's also a given that Gizmodo will of course have an article talking shit about it too.

mrkgoo

NYR said:
It's all about hits and ad revenue. Of course they will review it. It's also a given that Gizmodo will of course have an article talking shit about it too.

Actually, it will be interesting if it carries a CDMA/GSM compatible chip or not. I'm guessing's probably just rolling off the usual production lines, as the models don't have optimised antenna designs....yet.

But the inevitable tear downs could reveal a few changes.

numble

mrkgoo said:
Actually, it will be interesting if it carries a CDMA/GSM compatible chip or not. I'm guessing's probably just rolling off the usual production lines, as the models don't have optimised antenna designs....yet.

But the inevitable tear downs could reveal a few changes.
It would be interesting if that were the case. The current CDMA iPads have the CDMA/GSM compatible chips, but the GSM ones only have the old GSM chips though.

mrkgoo

numble said:
It would be interesting if that were the case. The current CDMA iPads have the CDMA/GSM compatible chips, but the GSM ones only have the old GSM chips though.

Right. But antennas optimised for each band.

One would wonder if they will unify the optimisation, or if indeed that is possible. If not, maybe that's pointing to a new design where it is possible.

Oh, and thanks for the above info, btw. Are you based in Taiwan?

numble

mrkgoo said:
Right. But antennas optimised for each band.

One would wonder if they will unify the optimisation, or if indeed that is possible. If not, maybe that's pointing to a new design where it is possible.

Oh, and thanks for the above info, btw. Are you based in Taiwan?
No, I was just following all the Asia area international releases back then, because I was in the area then. I'm in America now with a Hong Kong iPhone now. I was in Taiwan for a short bit over 5 years ago and it's probably changed a lot since then.

Are you going there for a long time?

Oh, and please double check the info I gave you before you go, if you plan to get one there, wouldn't want to screw you over with wrong information!

numble

iThink Apple is too iAddicted to iWords.

http://gigaom.com/apple/apple-may-have-snapped-up-icloud-com/
What will be the name of Apple’s cloud-based music service? No one knows. However, a tipster of mine says that it might be iCloud. Why? Because the Cupertino-based computing giant is rumored to be a likely buyer of the domain iCloud.com.

Until recently, iCloud.com was a domain name and a storage-as-a-cloud service owned by Linkoping, Sweden-based desktop-as-a-service company, Xcerion. Xcerion’s iCloud service has just been rebranded to CloudMe, and the company acquired the CloudMe.com domain on April 5, 2011.

My source, who is familiar with the company, says that Xcerion has sold the domain to Apple for about $4.5 million. Xcerion hasn’t responded to my queries as yet. At the time of writing, the Whois database showed Xcerion as the owner of iCloud.

According to reports, Apple is building a cloud-based service and is in touch with large record labels as it plans for a service to compete with Amazon’s Cloud Locker. Of course, Apple might have acquired the name as an option and it could use it to build a whole different offering called iCloud.

mrkgoo

numble said:
No, I was just following all the Asia area international releases back then, because I was in the area then. I'm in America now with a Hong Kong iPhone now. I was in Taiwan for a short bit over 5 years ago and it's probably changed a lot since then.

Are you going there for a long time?

Oh, and please double check the info I gave you before you go, if you plan to get one there, wouldn't want to screw you over with wrong information!

I'm going for several weeks. I know some Taiwanese people who will be able to make sure. Unless it's significantly cheaper, though, I probably won't get one, as it's just a short wait until the iPhone 4s or 5.

Koodo

Banned
How many things do I need to click OFF to ensure I don't get any data roaming charges?

This is what I have so far:

Location Services - OFF
Personal Hotspot - OFF
Enable 3G - OFF
Cellular Data - OFF
Data Roaming - OFF

And if I want to avoid receiving any calls, putting Airplane Mode on ON would suffice, correct? Also, does Wi-Fi work under Airplane Mode?

*this is my first time travelling abroad with the phone

numble

Koodo said:
How many things do I need to click OFF to ensure I don't get any data roaming charges?

Location Services - OFF
Personal Hotspot - OFF
Enable 3G - OFF
Cellular Data - OFF
Data Roaming - OFF

And if I want to avoid receiving any calls, putting Airplane Mode on ON would suffice, correct? Also, does Wi-Fi work under Airplane Mode?

Just put it in Airplane mode and everything is fine. You need to manually turn back WiFi back on after you flip the Airplane Mode switch. But that's it.

Koodo said:

Location Services - OFF
Personal Hotspot - OFF
Enable 3G - OFF
Cellular Data - OFF
Data Roaming - OFF

Just turn off data roaming and you'll be fine.

RDreamer

LyleLanley said:
Hmm, that's weird, do you have good service right now? Sometimes I find it takes a little while to properly update. Also, have you tried restarting your phone?
Yeah, I have good service where I'm at now. And I restarted the phone like 3 times trying to see if that'd fix it. Still says I have 2 unread emails. I even tried deleting that account and re adding it, and it still says it.

Burger said:
Gmail? Check the ALL MAIL box. Sometimes weird things happen in there.

It's hotmail that says it's got the unread emails. My gmail is working fine. Still nothing in the all mail box, too.

Zeth

I'm heading out at lunch to attempt this exchange for a white iPhone. Waited all this time, finally caved on April 1 so now white is in stock with 2 days left on my return/exchange policy.

Here's my question: Even though I purchased this at AT&T, could I do this transaction at Apple? I'm sure the experience would be much better. I'm just hoping there's nothing stopping me from doing this.

maruchan

I just got a white iphone 4.. no one in line at the att store, took me 10 mins for everything... it comes with 4.3.1 so time to update and then jailbreak it..

it is damn cool looking really cool looking..

numble

Zeth said:
I'm heading out at lunch to attempt this exchange for a white iPhone. Waited all this time, finally caved on April 1 so now white is in stock with 2 days left on my return/exchange policy.

Here's my question: Even though I purchased this at AT&T, could I do this transaction at Apple? I'm sure the experience would be much better. I'm just hoping there's nothing stopping me from doing this.
I don't think you can do it at the Apple Store. They would only handle like-for-like exchanges for warranty coverage.

maruchan: PICS?

dorkimoe

ive had mine white for about 6 months now, the only downside i have noticed is that there is a little dirt under my home button thats visible.

What cases do you guys use/recommend?

I love my bumper for some reason, but I just got an Incase slider and it's pretty good. What does everyone else use?

Zeth

Just finished syncing my white phone. Honestly not as impressed as I expected to be. It does look pretty sharp though.

NPD: iPhone 4 #1 in the USA

Q1 NPD Highlights

-iPhone launch on Verizon was a huge event.

-For the first time ever, smartphone sales topped feature phone sales. Total sales of smartphones up 8%, making up 54% of total phone sales.

-Biggest manufacturers: Samsung-23%, LG-18%, Apple-14%

-iPhone 4 is the #1 handset model in the USA. iPhone 3GS was #2. Droid X was #3.

-For the first time in nearly two years, Android marketshare fell. From 53% to 50%.

-Apple marketshare increased 9%, jumping from 19% to 28%.

-RIM continues to fall, from 19% to 14%

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Someone just put RIM out of their misery already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom