• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The John Linneman Collection: DF's Best Games of 2021

Orta

Banned
Cyber Shadow is the only game on that list that interests me. Reminds me if Sunsofts NES Batman.

SomeGit

Since DF gets a new thread for every god damn video they produce, I will post this here. Amazing YouTube creator, great writing and game analysis:

LpE3NzP.png

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Don't know what your problem is but you can make your own thread you know? Also I heard good things about that vid.

If I decide to create my own thread I'll make sure to at least provide a short summary of the video. This forum has enough lazy ass threads, especially the ones related to DF videos. 😘

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Someone doesn't like Digital Foundry!

Trigger GIF by MOODMAN

(I don't, either, but holy fuck, ROFL)

*Person posts thing*

*random person enters*

I THINK THING IS A PIECE OF SHIT

I do like DF, John especially. He’s amazing and should start his own channel as he’s leagues above the rest of DF team. What I don’t like are lazy ass low effort threads that people rush to post just to be first. Meh.

Psychonauts is his favorite game of the year and DF didn't even cover it..

:(
He explains why. If you follow him on Twitter, you soon realize that he's struggling a bit with the pressure to make money with his hobby and that the pressure negatively impacts his enjoyment of gaming. He wanted to play Psychonauts 2 for himself and not for his job, that's why he didn't cover it.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I do like DF, John especially. He’s amazing and should start his own channel as he’s leagues above the rest of DF team. What I don’t like are lazy ass low effort threads that people rush to post just to be first. Meh.

I mean, in general, I hate threads that are based around YouTube videos (especially countdowns) anyway. It's either A. Not your video and who gives a shit, type your own thoughts, or B. It is your video, and you're trying to shill your own bullshit. Neither is conducive to conversation. This is coming from the guy who spent his entire holiday weekend writing novellas defending the new Matrix movie in OT whilst being told I'm illiterate, so believe you me, low effort is something that doesn't compute with me, either!

But again, if you don't like something, it's easier to just ignore it. It takes more energy to frown than it does to do nothing.

Psychonauts is his favorite game of the year and DF didn't even cover it..

:(

I saw John mentioned in another video that he would have covered it but he was taking a break. I guess DF just didn't have time to make a tech video of Pshychonauts so they focused on other things.

Fredrik

John "2D pixel art" Linneman.

Good list though. His #1 is also mine, incredible game.
Since he had my #1 Metroid Dread as his #2 I’m gonna play through his #1 Psychonauts 2. I’ve only played an hour or two so far, got caught in the usual Gamepass has too many games trap and forgot about it. Just need to finish Halo Infinite first.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
He explains why. If you follow him on Twitter, you soon realize that he's struggling a bit with the pressure to make money with his hobby and that the pressure negatively impacts his enjoyment of gaming. He wanted to play Psychonauts 2 for himself and not for his job, that's why he didn't cover it.

Don’t you get it! That’s because they’re MS shills! Man, I don’t even like these guys because their work just fuels the lamest console wars but people have been insane with conspiracies.

It is a weird omission on their tech analysis, for sure.

I saw John mentioned in another video that he would have covered it but he was taking a break. I guess DF just didn't have time to make a tech video of Pshychonauts so they focused on other things.

Oh don't get me wrong, I understand the reasons *why* he didn't cover it.

It's still a bit disappointing that DF couldn't manage to cover one of the most visually creative games of the year.

tommib

Since we’re posting top 5 lists (and I love lists):

5 - Murder House
4 - No More Heroes 3
3 - Deathloop
2 - Metroid Dread
1 - Returnal

bender

What time is it?

That's understandable but also seems like a self fulfilling prophecy. You need to cover the big games to get clicks but those might be games you have lesser or no interest in which adds to that pressure and the overall dissatisfaction of the job. It reminds me of last year with all the Cyberpunk coverage they did while completely ignoring other games, like the Doom Eternal Switch port which got coverage months after release. John seems to love covering the impossible Switch ports. You'd think covering something you are genuinely interested in might lift your spirits but I also think it is okay to have something just for yourself. And John does seem to do this with all of the retro coverage which I'm sure gets nowhere near the eyeballs as the major releases. Props to him and DF for allowing these side projects.

As far as the sentiment that John should venture out on his own, he has the ability and the industry contacts but this type of coverage seems like it would be the most expensive to keep up with and I'd question how many Digital Foundry type sites do we really need?

----

Seeing all the It Takes Two love is a headscratcher for me. It's a visual treat that has the variety and creativity of Psychonauts 2 and the core mechanics are solid and get changed up often, but the game drags on far too long to the point of tedium. It reminds me of the 2nd Alice game in that regard. Your mileage may vary on the characters and story (I'd lean towards annoying and blatantly manipulative). I know, I know, not everything is intended for me...

Last edited:
IMO there was not much to cover. It has good artstyle but the gfx are pretty basic for even previous gen consoles.
They were able to cover Metroid Dread and that game wasn't even on multiple platforms and certainly isn't as impressive as Psychonauts 2 graphically. I kinda understand them not having time but there were plenty of other titles that were less impressive technically that they did cover. They could have always done something later.

adamsapple

IMO there was not much to cover. It has good artstyle but the gfx are pretty basic for even previous gen consoles.

I'd have taken a Psychonauts video over Skyrim video # 24 in a heartbeat.

6T2Qdrh.gif

Where's the drama?

Last DF thread was hilarious

I think it's thanks to some of the usual suspects on both sides currently taking a deserved break :D

assurdum

Banned
I really confuse to understand the fuck is it supposed to mean...payed to play your favourite game give pressure to make money and you struggle to enjoy with it?
Tom Cruise What GIF

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
They were able to cover Metroid Dread and that game wasn't even on multiple platforms and certainly isn't as impressive as Psychonauts 2 graphically. I kinda understand them not having time but there were plenty of other titles that were less impressive technically that they did cover. They could have always done something later.
Psychonauts 2 is nothing special graphically. Metroid Dread is special because it's a switch exclusive and looks good for that platform. It's as simple as that.

elliot5

I really confuse to understand the fuck is it supposed to mean...payed to play your favourite game give pressure to make money and you struggle to enjoy with it?
It’s too hard for you to grasp that playing, recording, analyzing, producing and editing a video on Psychonauts 2 (on 7 different platforms) would take the fun and focus out of simply playing it and enjoying it for what it is?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Tom Cruise What GIF

I can kind of see what he's saying.

Psychonauts 2 is the kind of game he wanted to play for his own enjoyment, not rush through half a dozen different formats for site coverage.

They could have handed the game over to someone else, eg Tom, to cover. But ah well. What's done is done.

Fredrik

Tom Cruise What GIF
It’s DF, they’re probably playing the games with 400% zoom on an old CRT in half speed with a framerate graph covering half the screen and replay the same area over and over to spot that rare framerate dip fans can fight over so it gives them extra clicks.

dcmk7

Banned
Psychonauts 2 is nothing special graphically. Metroid Dread is special because it's a switch exclusive and looks good for that platform. It's as simple as that.
Marketing behind Metroid Dread release was really impressive too. Seemed to be everywhere.
Makes it harder to ignore.

assurdum

Banned
It’s too hard for you to grasp that playing, recording, analyzing, producing and editing a video on Psychonauts 2 (on 7 different platforms) would take the fun and focus out of simply playing it and enjoying it for what it is?
I mean, he can simply reply he will cover it eventually later, when he has fully enjoyed of it. I don't think Leadbetter point a gun against his head if he ask for something like that. Why he is so victimist every single time someone critic him

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I can kind of see what he's saying.

Psychonauts 2 is the kind of game he wanted to play for his own enjoyment, not rush through half a dozen different formats for site coverage.

They could have handed the game over to someone else, eg Tom, to cover. But ah well. What's done is done.
It's another good point. No one ask him to cover it at all costs, why it is supposed to be him or no one else? Lol.

Top Bottom