• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII - Console version detailed

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Shortcuts and time saving unlocks im cool.

Was that Raiden color edit made with the customization mode?

OH GOD MY EYES. WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT? ;__;

Frankfurt said:
312631_10150295648747756_723067755_8234384_558798553_n.jpg

I imagine they're just placeholders right now, so the size won't necessarily be that, right?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SolarKnight said:
I imagine they're just placeholders right now, so the size won't necessarily be that, right?

Most "unlock key" stuff ends up perfectly at 108kb on live. Though the occassionally end up different (think some shadow battle stuff was different for MvC3.)

I'm suprised I haven't seen that image pop up on our other popular KoF places, yet, however. I hate images that pop up out of nowhere without at least SOME point of origin, but it's understandable in such a case, as sharing Developer-network info can be a job-endangering act.

Oh yeah, and... Ken Doll Raiden is something I never needed to see. Would be funny if they patched certain colors out of certain character's color palettes with title updates, lol. "Oh, this makes a nude situation? Time for everyone to lose a color option!"

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
patrickthehedgehog said:
At least these naked Raiden shots give us some idea of what the standard filter looks like!

LoL, I'd much rather just watch HD Direct Feed Captures Like This One From TAC.

Really, really like the colors in that Southtown stage too, BTW. I find it weird that I keep finding a run down alley with a junked car, after a rainstorm, to be oddly beautiful, lol.

Raiden, however, doesn't have a chance at that! (I do like the moving clouds in the "Destroyed Stadium" stage, however.)

Edgeward said:
That color edit needs to be banned in tournies like Blanka's alt costume. Too distracting!

I'd hope they'd just ban stupid colors, lol. But at least the game has a generous amount of colors anyway, even without the color edit...

Frankfurt

Banned
SAB CA said:
LoL, I'd much rather just watch HD Direct Feed Captures Like This One From TAC.

I hope the final game is a LOT sharper than those. Youtube vids and all, but at 720p on my gaming (and computer) 1080p HDTV, i couldn't even tell the shade tones apart. The Raiden image, on the same TV, looks better. The edges specially are still too smudgy, though.

Galdelico

patrickthehedgehog said:
PAGE ONE OF SEVEN!?
If true, I'd say one Marketplace content out of seven.

The selected one, plus other six.
Seventh one should be Iori?

Btw - again, if true - I expect gallery, colours and Billy/Saiki can be also obtained by normally playing the game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yup, the story mode art is pretty great. Though I wonder if the Stage behind Mary is a simplified version of the "Micky" stage, haha. One thing I keep thinking about, is if they had to make any XIII-style sprites for all these guest characters, to get KO'd by an approaching enemy in-gameplay, or just for conversations at some point, or something. That'd be an ultimate (Cruel) tease (or a great promise to see the character as DLC / in the next KoF).

Urban Scholar, SNKP doesn't appear to be at TGS. It'd be kinda werid for them to attend with what seems to be only 1 game, haha. Unless they lugged in the Pachislot stuff...

For those who are interested, more gameplay direct feed goodness from Gunsmith and Co.:

Atb_555 vs Miles Star Groups 3 way tie 03.mpg

Atb_555 vs Robocop Two QF 02.mpg

Atb_555 vs Shin Dragon 3 way tie breaker 01.mpg

Atb_555 vs Shin Dragon Group Stages 01.mpg

Atb_555 vs Shin Dragon Group Stages 02.mpg

Cristina vs TKO Supa QF 01.mpg

Galdelico

Great vids SAB.

They surely got rid of alot of sumos (in the notorious stage), but in a clever way... They kept all the ones with unique animations, so - on the whole - there's still a nice amount of silly stuff going on during battle, though the scene is now less distracting and not as crazy-waving as it was before.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Gunny's on a role; here's even more HD Direct feed from him:

michels vs giga D 03.mpg

MichelSON vs Firei QF 01

MichelS[ON] vs Firei QF 02.mpg

Oly vs Tenrai Messatsu group stages 01.mpg

Oly vs Tenrai Messatsu group stages 02.mpg

Galdelico said:
Great vids SAB.

They surely got rid of alot of sumos (in the notorious stage), but in a clever way... They kept all the ones with unique animations, so - on the whole - there's still a nice amount of silly stuff going on during battle, though the scene is now less distracting and not as crazy-waving as it was before.

Yeah, I have to say, as much as I like the crazy filled-arena of the arcade version (I'd still like it as an option), the way it is now is kinda nice. It makes the area feel bigger, and the Sumo's themselves seem a bit better proportioned to Hinako and Shingo.

The Egyptian temple stage still keeps it's MASSIVE crowd of worshippers, probably due to their colors being more subdued, hence not being as distracting.

And if anyone misses the amount of bare man-flesh that the old sumos showed off... we always have RaiKEN up there to keep them company! (-_-;)

Kioshen

In the "Atb_555 vs Shin Dragon Group Stages 02.mpg" video, near the end Kim activated HD mode but the game slowed to a crawl. Is that normal ? Is it a bug in the console version or I'm missing something ?

Kioshen said:
In the "Atb_555 vs Shin Dragon Group Stages 02.mpg" video, near the end Kim activated HD mode but the game slowed to a crawl. Is that normal ? Is it a bug in the console version or I'm missing something ?

These aren't final products of the game. They are dev kit units they are playing on if I remember correctly.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Summarize-lation of Story Mode Blog from earlier today, via Prof on MMC:

Since Toxico seems busy doing something , I'll take the initiative again to do a quick blog summary.

-Blog has no story details in order to avoid spoilers

-The story mode tells the various stories that were too much to be covered in the arcade version, and it runs in a visual novel format. It consists of fighting game parts and visual novel parts.

-In the fighting game parts, you pick a team of your choice and take on the tournament. There's a 3-on-3 dialogue between teams before the matches with tidbits that's sure to please fans. And of course, the result of the match will have an effect on the storyline.

-The visual novel part tells the game's storyline from various character perspectives, mainly Ash, Adel, and Heidern. As well as ******, *******, and *************. (Names censored in blog, number of symbols mean nothing)

-Completed scenes can be viewed over again from the "Chapter menu" option. Producer Yamamoto says it'll probably take hours to check out all of them.

-Aside from the storyline itself, another thing that people can look forward to is the various illustrations drawn just for this mode. And cameo characters that appear place to place. (Duck King image.)

-When asked if there's "variations" depending on how the game is progressed, Producer Yamamoto's reply was vague, saying that "There's been a crazy amount of effort put into this story mode".

Potential alternate mini-perspectives? Perspectives tied to the DLC characters? Who knows! It's just nice to see they've put some time into this. While BB's was nice and in-depth, I'll probably appreciate this one much more, as I actually CARE about these characters, lol. (Bang is awesome, but... yeah.)

Also, Gunsmith uploaded even MORE vids... I'm waiting to see if he's finished or not now, haha. At least 6 more since last post, I believe...

RSLYG

sorry, no shiny ass this time

312v5lx.jpg

Bruce Kensou

33a6iac.jpg

Hwa joe switch pants

This gonna be fun, I prob going to spend more time editing than actually playing.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Save for a few details, Kensou looks rather cool rippin' off Bruce Lee / Fei Long / Kim Dragon /Some Law Guy/ a Guy in black pants.

So Now it's time to make Joe and King with Hwa Jai colors, and have Team Hwa Jai, and his Muy Thai Ripoff posse! (A Hwa-colored King would be... interesting.)

Grokbu

That Kensou color edit looks great!

Is that tattoo he's got one of those "icons" I remember hearing about some time ago?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The game will be playable at Paris Manga this October 1 - 2
Source: SpekSNK

So no info from TGS? Worst TGS ever.

I'll be in paris until the 27th...SCREEEEWWWW THHHIIIS :'( (I can still go play the Arcade version in Arcade Street at Nation or Vs Dojo in Republique though)

I think on the 24-25th there will be some hands on for Soul Calibur V, might check that out...

Tizoc

RSLYG said:
sorry, no shiny ass this time

312v5lx.jpg

Bruce Kensou
DAT BACK, seriously that is one badass back. Dman now I wanna main Kensou XD.

@Fersis- Hey man blame SNK for being too poor to make it to TGS.
Looking forward to Mr. Karate (EX Takuma?), but...XIII Kyo should've had his rekkas to begin with, I don't think I've seen his Projectile move used a lot in matches @_@

Tizoc

gundamkyoukai said:
Those Kensou pics look awesome , man just like the old day i going waste allot of time in color edit .
If you can share them online I'll prob. use the ones you made =V
Assuming I find any I like =V

Fersis

Welcome back Tizoc.
Why did you got banned ?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SolarKnight said:
Trust me, that projectile is a good combo extender in the corner =/

Not to mention Kyo with his Fireball was able to do everything with it (Such as quick Command-Air-Normal Back hop -> Fireball zone) that the much requested "Flames Iori" did in the past. And a lot of Kyo's like to toss out a few, with variety from covering their approaches, to baiting EX fireballs from opponents, to force them to drain meter.

Plus "Old School" Kyo got stupid pressure in the arcade version with "no frame disadvantage dash-n-grab", and as much as I like the "Body G-, Body G-, Body G-" BC chains RekKyo has in 2K2, I really think classic Kyo in XIII is much more stylish and refreshing.

And then Iori without Flames took on the constant-pressure that Kyo's mix of Rekkas originally had. While adding in a totally unique command grab, and hitboxes that Kyo would never had had. And his "Shine! -slash- Shine! -slash-" was pretty much Rekka Kyo BC chains all over again...

They basically switched types, and now their EX forms are basically just switching places again. Kyo gets his pressure and HD chains back, Iori gets to hop around and send out ground-born fireballs again.

Ha, the more I think about it, the more I appreciate SNKP changing the two up in the first place...

@SNKP at TGS: Yeah, 1 big game, nothing else, woulda been a waste. SPEND THE MONEY ON GIVING ME MORE STORY MODE ART! Or, y'know... additional characters! :)

Top Bottom