• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII - Console version detailed

Tizoc

SAB CA said:
@SNKP at TGS: Yeah, 1 big game, nothing else, woulda been a waste. SPEND THE MONEY ON GIVING ME MORE STORY MODE ART! Or, y'know... additional characters! :)
Khushnood Butt headswap with Takuma's body,Rock & Kaede headswap with K's body, and Iroha headswap with Mai's body confirmed for future DLC =V

Mileena

Banned
7vuVW.jpg

any truth to this? If so, shitty as fuck. Vanessa and Whip need to be DLC.

Frankfurt

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
7vuVW.jpg

It's true. Kyo and Iori at least play very different, and Billy is new. Saiki is very close to Ash, while Takuma... we don't know. But yeah, it's disappointing. It's almost as shitty as BB's DLC.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Frankfurt said:
It's true. Kyo and Iori at least play very different, and Billy is new. Saiki is very close to Ash, while Takuma... we don't know. But yeah, it's disappointing. It's almost as shitty as BB's DLC.

BB's DLC? You mean three completely unique characters with completely unique movesets?

Grokbu

corkscrewblow said:
http://i.imgur.com/7vuVW.jpg

Well, not exactly. Billy and Saiki are unlockables, unless I'm mistaken.

Mileena

Banned
Frankfurt said:
Makoto Nanaya > rehashes and Billy (fuck Billy, 2002 player right here)

Nix

Banned
SAB CA said:
Not to mention Kyo with his Fireball was able to do everything with it (Such as quick Command-Air-Normal Back hop -> Fireball zone) that the much requested "Flames Iori" did in the past. And a lot of Kyo's like to toss out a few, with variety from covering their approaches, to baiting EX fireballs from opponents, to force them to drain meter.

Plus "Old School" Kyo got stupid pressure in the arcade version with "no frame disadvantage dash-n-grab", and as much as I like the "Body G-, Body G-, Body G-" BC chains RekKyo has in 2K2, I really think classic Kyo in XIII is much more stylish and refreshing.

And then Iori without Flames took on the constant-pressure that Kyo's mix of Rekkas originally had. While adding in a totally unique command grab, and hitboxes that Kyo would never had had. And his "Shine! -slash- Shine! -slash-" was pretty much Rekka Kyo BC chains all over again...

They basically switched types, and now their EX forms are basically just switching places again. Kyo gets his pressure and HD chains back, Iori gets to hop around and send out ground-born fireballs again.

Ha, the more I think about it, the more I appreciate SNKP changing the two up in the first place...

@SNKP at TGS: Yeah, 1 big game, nothing else, woulda been a waste. SPEND THE MONEY ON GIVING ME MORE STORY MODE ART! Or, y'know... additional characters! :)
I agree with everything you've just said, and concur on every singular point except: Fuck Iori. Fuck him; I've never liked him, he's a shit character, and Kyo is really all we need in that vein.

Yeah, I'm a Kyo player, but that's not why I'm saying this. Iori is just like the Yamcha of KoF. Trash. Come at me Iori fans. Oh, right 'He ain't got no fans'.

Frankfurt said:

BB DLC was awesome 3 chars that play unique plus there EX version and music .
I am a KOF whore and will get this but this is cheap as fuck cash in .
What makes this even worst was KOF always had these chars for free since 98.

Nix said:
I agree with everything you've just said, and concur on every singular point except: Fuck Iori. Fuck him; I've never liked him, he's a shit character, and Kyo is really all we need in that vein.

Yeah, I'm a Kyo player, but that's not why I'm saying this. Iori is just like the Yamcha of KoF. Trash. Come at me Iori fans. Oh, right 'He ain't got no fans'.

Iori is a awesome char and he one of the most played char in KOF history .

gundamkyoukai said:
BB DLC was awesome 3 chars that play unique plus there EX version and music .
I am a KOF whore and will get this but this is cheap as fuck cash in .
What makes this even worst was KOF always had these chars for free since 98.

True, but back then neither the characters or EX weren as time and resource consuming to make (SPECIALLY the EX chars). Also, choosing EX version didn't get us actual costume changes either. Yeah, it would be nice if we could have more of the characters that didn't make it, but I'll take what I can.

N4Us

Holy shit, I actually found a way to combo into Benimaru's worthless energy orb SDM. And it does really good damage.

It's very situational though and I'm not gonna try too much to pull it on stream.

Frankfurt

Banned
BB's DLC:

• $4 bucks for EX characters just like KOF XIII
  • $18 for alternate colors that you can't unlock or edit in-game
  • $21 for 3 characters (in a series with the smallest roster since 1996)
  • MORE money for MORE EX characters just like KOF XIII
  • MORE more for MORE colors

What were you saying about good DLC, again?

Because all i see is charging over $60 for content that should've been in the disc, sold at 19.99 on XBLA or GoD. Remove the boobie-lady garbage and BB is the most barebones MAIN GAME in 15 years. It makes MVC3 seem glorious.

Ok, what? The EX characters ARE in the disc, they're just a huge pain to unlock. You pay about $20 total for all DLC characters yeah, but at least they are COMPLETELY unique just like everyone else on the cast and come with their own music, extra colors, and EX version included. The cast is small, sure, but not a single character is similar. The colors, yeah, but unlike characters you can live totally fine without them.

Also, barebones compared to MvC3? Are you serious?

Frankfurt said:
BB's DLC:

• $4 bucks for EX characters just like KOF XIII
  • $18 for alternate colors that you can't unlock or edit in-game
  • $21 for 3 characters (in a series with the smallest roster since 1996)
  • MORE money for MORE EX characters just like KOF XIII
  • MORE more for MORE colors

What were you saying about good DLC, again?

Because all i see is charging over $60 for content that should've been in the disc, sold at 19.99 on XBLA or GoD. Remove the boobie-lady garbage and BB is the most barebones MAIN GAME in 15 years. It makes MVC3 seem glorious.

I am talking about chars i don't give a fuck about anything else
It was 8 bucks for 1 char that was unique as hell.
In KOF all these chars are way to get easy cash i have no problem paying but we used get this shit for free.

BB has best training\ tutorial mode of any fighting game outside VF .
Plus the best net code which more important than anything else.
Along everything else , to say that BB is bare bones is a fucking joke.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
N4Us said:
It's very situational though and I'm not gonna try too much to pull it on stream.

You'll probably find many more ways to combo it on console, with the "Freeze opponent in place" Property of EX Raijin-Ken, and the "traping shocks" hit of Air Raijin-Ken, on console :)

--

BBCS at least came out at 40 bucks. By the time you purchased the DLC characters, you basically just paid 61 bucks for game + new characters, which wasn't bad at all. And they even put 1 on sale once, which made it cheaper. And with the "update" that basically turned the game into it's own sequel, which was semi-free, it still ends up a decent value for a fighting game fan.

It's not my fav fighter by a long shot, but I don't mind seeing the experiment. I'm perfectly fine with "mini-sequels" worth of content being released for a less-than-30 dollars worth of price.

In KoF's case, the only reason EX characters were even free "back in the day" was because they had all the spritework already created, and were just using things from previous games. And then in the newer games, where they DIDN'T have those things (like the UMs), well, those things are additions to nearly 10 year old games. Of course they're "included" with the cost of buying this new version.

---

Anywho, looking forward to getting to watch that 22 min preview up there. +1 for that one, Atlus! Hope there's more suprises like that coming soon.

SAB CA said:
In KoF's case, the only reason EX characters were even free "back in the day" was because they had all the spritework already created, and were just using things from previous games. And then in the newer games, where they DIDN'T have those things (like the UMs), well, those things are additions to nearly 10 year old games. Of course they're "included" with the cost of buying this new version.

Yeah, pretty much. How many of those EX characters WEREN'T mostly if not completely made of recycled animation with maybe new effects? And lets not even mention that characters back then didn't take around $100k and a year to make like they do now if we're to believe what people have posted in this thread.

I hope no one think i bitching about paying hell i buying 2 copies of KOF XIII .
I just wish the were other chars and not just EX version .
KOF is a game where i will buy everything to try and keep SNK alive for fighting games.

N4Us

SAB CA said:
You'll probably find many more ways to combo it on console, with the "Freeze opponent in place" Property of EX Raijin-Ken, and the "traping shocks" hit of Air Raijin-Ken, on console :)

Oh yes, I'm looking forward to Beni's console buffs. His new properties sound fun.

MC RaZaR

Neo Member
gundamkyoukai said:
I hope no think i bitching about paying hell i buying 2 copies of KOF XIII .
I just wish the were other chars and not just EX version .
KOF is a game where i will buy everything to try and keep SNK alive for fighting games.
I like what you're doing. Yeah, I wish hoping for more than just EX versions of different characters. Oh well. It's better than no new DLC characters at all.

Considering how long it takes to make a character I wasn't expecting new guys at all. Honestly how many more do they have that have that "wow" factor Mai and K' team had? Vannesa's team, Blue Mary/Yamazaki and a Garou team would more than likely be featured in a new game (an all new team would be nice too). 12 got 2 console guys and 13 is getting it, along with remixes of 3 existing guys. With the color edits, new bgs, story mode and rebalance they're going all out with this one in a much bigger way than previously. Add to that the awesome pre-order bonus and it's only retailing for $50 and I honestly don't care if their is gonna be dlc. The game on disc is way heftier than I was willing to pay full amount for.

Mileena

Banned
patrickthehedgehog said:
If the dlc were characters you really wanted you'd all bitch. They decide to do characters fans would apppeciate and now people are hating. Get over it asshats.
This makes zero sense.

And all they did was do rehashes of people already on the cast. Those should have already been in the game, and DLC could be actual characters like Oswald, Vanessa, Whip, etc.

alstein

Personally, I'd rather have seen them touch up the existing cast then make EX characters, but this way makes SNK more money.

I just don't like EX characters as a general rule, but it's not going to stop me buying the game (and since I might have to do competitive stuff for this, I'll have to buy those characters unless they're banned)

alstein said:
Personally, I'd rather have seen them touch up the existing cast then make EX characters, but this way makes SNK more money.

I just don't like EX characters as a general rule, but it's not going to stop me buying the game (and since I might have to do competitive stuff for this, I'll have to buy those characters unless they're banned)

Well i hope there not banned , normally you could play ex chars so it should be the same.
I also don't mind EX chars some KOF chars change so much that it's like play a whole new char .

Arcblade

Banned
gundamkyoukai said:
Well i hope there not banned , normally you could play ex chars so it should be the same.
I also don't mind EX chars some KOF chars change so much that it's like play a whole new char .

Hinako.
Blue Mary.
Vanessa.
Hinako.

Hinako.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
haunts has been hyping this ranbat.

I BELIEVE IN HONTS!

N4Us

Reiki just told me some SoCal players are coming up, so this'll be pretty hype (I don't think that's Haunts surprise btw)

Maybe the surprise is that they somehow borrowed the most current build of the console version from Atlus and they'll be using that :O

...ok, maybe that's too much.

Tizoc

patrickthehedgehog said:
If the dlc were characters you really wanted you'd all bitch. They decide to do characters fans would apppeciate and now people are hating. Get over it asshats.
I know I wouldn't. If we got Ramon+Vanessa+Mary, I wouldn't bitch and be glad the fans got what they wanted.
EX Iori is understandable, but EX Kyo? I still think normal Kyo should've had his Rekka chains in and he'd've been better.
Still need to see Mr. Karate, although if he gets Khushnood Butt's moves I'll *grakfjhslkdjhagslkjdhdflskjhSOMUCHRAGEa;kjshsldkjghsadlfjgh*

BTW Fersis, I've got a little something I want you to read to put into the OT for KoF 13 if you don't mind.

Also has anyone tried asking Maximillian if he's interested in KoF 13?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I want a Roger Dodger Vs Haunts Money Match

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fersis said:
Billy is DLC according to this Preview (About 12 minutes in)

I wouldn't worry about that too much, Aram seemed a bit nervous there, and made a few errors throughout (such as calling Betty's heeled feet Ash's, during the Story Mode preview.)

The fact that SNKP's official site only list Iori as DLC, while having Saiki and Billy as seperate new characters, as well as the Atlus official site listing Billy and Saiki as included console characters for the home release, has me much more assured of those 2 characters being normal console characters.

Not to mention Gunsmith also unlocked him by playing Arcade mode on Rising Star's build. Plus "lol,forums" on the Atlus forums confirmed what was DLC, and what was On Disk, in that "clearing things up" post from a page or 2 back.

TL;DR: Aram just misspoke. Billy and Saiki are on disk characters.

alstein

SAB CA said:
I wouldn't worry about that too much, Aram seemed a bit nervous there, and made a few errors throughout (such as calling Betty's heeled feet Ash's, during the Story Mode preview.)

The fact that SNKP's official site only list Iori as DLC, while having Saiki and Billy as seperate new characters, as well as the Atlus official site listing Billy and Saiki as included console characters for the home release, has me much more assured of those 2 characters being normal console characters.

Not to mention Gunsmith also unlocked him by playing Arcade mode on Rising Star's build. Plus "lol,forums" on the Atlus forums confirmed what was DLC, and what was On Disk, in that "clearing things up" post from a page or 2 back.

TL;DR: Aram just misspoke. Billy and Saiki are on disk characters.

I suspect unlocking Billy will be your choice of DLC or an unlock.

I feel like ever since they've announced that they're would be DLC characters people have been rather down on the idea. Lots of people who just play fighters in general popping into the thread and being like ewww DLC? SNKP is being greedy!

Now that they are pretty much announced to be EX characters, which honestly, are less than necessary in many people's eyes, people who where willing to cough it up for DLC are upset that they didn't get another team of characters that didn't previously make the cut into XIII.

I guess my point is that it's just not possible to please everyone and the bitching is getting a little silly. That image posted many times above is especially irritating.

Top Bottom