• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII - Console version detailed

Grokbu

alstein said:
It's just 1 on 1. Reason given was that it would improve the netcode (which is a legit reason in my eyes, and spectators do lag rooms)
Has it really been stated anywhere that there's only going to be 1 on 1?

alstein

gundamkyoukai said:
SNK put them self in a bad place.
Even if the net good some people are still not going to buy it without spec mode and lobbies.
They should have allow you the option to put it on or not .
I mean if i playing friends in that same country lag should be no problem i should have both spec and lobbies .
Now if i playing people from GAF and lag get to bad i could have taken it off.

I don't believe anyone is really serious about not buying the game because of lobbies. If you had lobbies, it would be something else (lack of ponies, not curing cancer, no way to order pizza in-game, etc)

That said, SNK taking this stuff means they have no excuses if the netcode doesn't deliver.

Shadow780

corkscrewblow said:
Also KoF96 tomorrow on PSN and I kind of want just because I wanna play some KoF but I hate SNK's treatment of PSN with no 98UM or 2k2UM. So conflicted.

It wasn't like UMs on 360 are any good netcode wise. 2k2UM is playable if you're close to each other but still pretty shitty.

I think I'm gonna buy 96 since it's got modern KOF mechanics.

The King of Fighters XIII | OT Thread of PRE-ORDER CANCELLED BECAUSE OF NO LOBBIES, NO SPECTATOR MODE, LOOKS LIKE A SUPER NINTENDO GAME, DLC CHARACTERS RUIN A GAME / NOT THE DLC CHARACTERS I WANTED, WILL THE LOADING BE THAT BAD and ONLINE SUCKING BEFORE ANYONE EVEN KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT IT WHILE IGNORING ALL RECENT SNKP RELEASES!

You guys are killing me! Put this shit in the thread title so we can talk about the actual game instead of answering these obnoxious questions over and over.

RSLYG

May I offer you some refreshment to this depressing thread...

11961.jpg

KOF XIII - Clark Combo : Clarknum P.I

11962.jpg

KOF XIII - RYO Combo 100% : MAXIMUM GADOUKEN!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
And Here's the Professor's Wonderful translation!

So Meaty! - Note: The Professor Cleared up some Translations. The Update has now been reflected here.

SNKPlaymore has updated its blog and they're finally releasing official details on the character balance changes. They'll be revealed in random order in 4 weekly updates starting today.
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiii/blog/archives/2011/10/post_46.html

This translation is a rushed job so there might be some minor mistakes.
It's a damn lot of work too. UPDATED

Asterisk * notes that the move is featured on the sample video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQd_Q_RrCIs&feature=player_embedded

System
Neomax only uses 2 power meters during HD mode (3 meters when not in HD)

Hwa Jai
- All frames on Drink super have been changed (apparently, its recovery is faster)
* Ground CD has changed. Moves forward and has invincibility to low attacks
* Fierce Dragon Tail has faster recovery; can be connected to a normal move after it hits
* Weak Dragon Backbreaker is now a 1F throw instead of a leaping throw
- Weak Dragon Tail comes out faster and connects from a fierce
- EX Air Dragon Kick now hits 3 times like its ground version and does 154 damage.
- EX Dragon Tail chips less guard meter

Producer Yamamoto says: Hwa has a lot of changes, like for example, his Weak Backbreaker is a 1F hit now. The recovery on his drink is different so it might be usable in a combo.

Benimaru
- Flying Drill has faster recovery, normal hit can connect afterwards
* EX Raijinken is a single hit attack. On a hit, the opponent will be stuck in the air afterwards for a limited time. They can be attacked with another move, or even get pushed by running to the edge of the screen.
* EX Air Raijinken lasts for a longer time. The timing in between the hits are longer than the arcade version. It now sort of works as a special that can be "placed" on the screen.
* EX Collider hits less times. That means less scaling for the combo to come afterwards.
* Neomax comes out faster, MAX cancel's timing is different. Invincibility runs out before the hit detection comes out.
- Fierce/EX Super Lightning Kick does more damage. On a full hit, the fierce version's damage has been raised from 70>100, EX from 135>192.
- Collider has faster recovery on whiff, can rarely be punished if blocked from a fierce punch.
- EX Iaigeri > Handou Sandangeki does less damage, down from 263 to 219

Producer Yamamoto says: We've balanced him so that even the attacks that weren't being used in the arcades would be of use. The EX Collider and EX Raijinken should especially come to more use since the opponent can be hit afterwards. The EX air Raijinken should be fun to place around for an attack string. His Neomax has no invincibility but it comes out a lot faster, so it might be fun to think of ways in using it.

Clark
* His Stepping (Forward+BD) is faster
* Weak SAB has full-body autoguard but comes out slower than before
- EX SAB>Flying Elbow can be MAX canceled
- EX Gatling Attack's invincibility runs out when its hit detection comes out. Projectile invincibility doesn't, even after hit detection comes out.
- If Fierce or EX Gateling gets blocked, the Afterattack throw won't come out any more
* Vulcan Punch can be canceled with another move on startup. This allows for some new combos like close Fierce punch (2nd hit)>VulcanPunch>SAB

Producer Yamamoto says: He's a throw character so we've buffed his throws. With moves like his Weak SAB, his front step, and being able to do a super cancel from a 1-frame throw, he should be able to fight like a real thrower.

Mai
- Kaschousen comes out faster, also has quicker recovery
* Ukibane (down + B in air) has different trajectory than Arcade, recovery time has been changed
* Musasabi(from ground) can be canceled to Floating attack
* WK>FK is a chain combo. Can be used to connect into HD mode, and also gives Mai more damage on pokes
* EX air Shinobibachi added in game. Invincible until hit detection comes out.
- Crouching FP has more cancelable frames
- Weak Ryuenbu has more vertical hitbox
* Neomax comes out faster and freezes time when it reaches the edge of screen

Producer Yamamoto says: We've balanced her as a female ninja by giving her attacks that can make her fight more tricky from the air. Using Ukibane to trick the opponent and doing an attack string, or hit confirming from her crouching fierce punch have become effective tactics. Her Neomax has also been buffed.

Leona
* Voltec Launcher chips less guard meter
- Strike Arch (directon move) comes out faster
* Fierce V-Slasher has different angle; weak travels short, fierce goes far. EX version is the same as the arcade.
- Ground Saber has longer recovery when blocked. About even when fierce version gets blocked.
- Moon Slasher has less hitback when blocked. All of them (weak, fierce, EX) are easier to get punished than the arcade.
- EX X-Caliber comes out faster. Still can't be comboed from a normal or direction attack.

Producer Yamamoto says: Moves such as the Ground Saber and Moon Slasher are easier to get punished so be careful. We've balanced her so that she can do things such as attack strings with her EX X-Calibur, or break into the opponent with her Strike Arch. Her Fierce V slasher has been buffed, and she's a character that's good in various occasions such as air-to-air combat or against projectiles.

Takuma
- Jump CD comes out faster
- Stun value on attacks has been lowered
* EX Kyokugen Koou comes out faster and has quicker recovery. Still can't be comboed from a normal or direction attack.
- Fierce Ryuuko Ranbu comes out faster. It's still slower than the weak version, but it has invincibility until after the hit detection comes out.
- Weak Hienshippukyaku's damage reduced from 70 to 50.

Producer Yamamoto says:
He has less stun values than the arcade, but he's still easier to dizzy the opponent than other characters. Also, it's not written above but damages on his other specials have also been raised, and he's a character that can do high damage. He's been buffed in a lot of places like his air CD and invincible Fierce Ryuuko Ranbu, so please try using him.

Mature
* Ebony Tears comes out faster. Can hit opponent afterwards
* Weak Metal Massacre is a one hit attack
* EX Deathrow correctly puts crouching opponent into hitback state on a hit unlike arcade version. If the opponent is crouching during 1-4 hits, a fierce Metal Massacre can still combo with a drivecancel.
- EX Despair doesn't move Mature behind the opponent even if they're crouching

Producer Yamamoto says:
Ebony Tears is a lot easier to use now. Weak Metal Massacre has been changed to a single hit and does less scaling, so it might be useful for fast paced matches.

Shen
* Gekiken Fakeout has faster recovery. It'll fail if the kick button is pressed too soon.
Gekiken maxed out will chip half the opponent's guard meter
* Danken(throw) comes out slower. Neither weak nor fierce has invincibility. However, it can be Drivecanceled.
* Danken(reflect) builds up meter on a success. No drive meter buildup.
* EX Fukkogeki>Kouryuugeki has slower recovery when blocked. Completely punishable

Producer Yamamoto says: We've did a lot of adjustments to his Danken. The throw version is no longer 1F, but it can be drive canceled for additional damage. Gekiken's feint has quicker recovery so it can be used to lengthen attack strings.

Leona sounds slightly nerfed, lol :( Actually, some nice tradeoffs. V-Slasher has become better at punishing from distance, so overall happy. And Strike Arch should be a more effective mixup. I hope Grand Saber's blockstun isn't WORSE than it's been in any old games, if it's about equal to older ones, that's ok.

Clark sounds nicely buff, and we now have a Max cancel from Flashing Elbow! The Repeat Gattling attack loop should be useful...

Takuma does more damage, and less stun? And yay, I can abuse Takuma's ranbu like I always have (as an awkward Anti-Air)! This was a great mindgame to other Kyokugen users, who'd then try to retaliate with thier own ranbu, but were punished hardcore afterwards. Good ole Takuma!

Great to hear Beni's Drill is actually USEFUL now, too. I love his console changes; His ability to freeze with Raijinken sounds almost as deadly as Flame Iori's, if you ask me...

Hwa being able to solidly combo after fierce dragon tail is pretty sweet. How in the world could he use drinking in a combo?!? XD That should be interesting to see work...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Daaaamn! Im gonna have to update my W.I.P OT

Good stuff from SNKP.
N4Us should be happy with Benimaru's buffs.

Man that EX Raijinken xx Air Throw needs to be .GIF'd

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CadetMahoney said:
So after the elbow you can do Clark's super?

hmmm sounds well cheap.

MAX Cancel = He can land his Neomax After it. So not his Super (DM), but just the Super Super (NM), lol. Thanks to console changes, it'll only be 3 total meters in HD mode, so a nice buff compared to arcade, surely.

Will be a nice way to extend his HD combos, but that'd be 4 meters + Full HD bar outside of HD mode... costly, but a great option!

Translation cleared up, Re-discussed in post below.

Personally, I could have liked it to have been Drive Cancellable into another normal SAB, but that could have turned out rather broken, lol.

It seems like his hop might be fast enough to make into guarenteed mixups / blockstrings after heavy normals, which is something I've wanted for him ever since XII, lol. Along with Autoguard SAB, it gives a reason to fear trying to pressure him, which is great.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
CadetMahoney said:

hmmm sounds well cheap.
As a long time Clark user this pleases me.

It's going to interesting to see how neomax costing 2 meters in HD, will change things. The worst case scenario is that the game might be more defensive, since everyone will do big damage.

Shadow780 said:
Mai and Mature buffs are nice, my eternal girly team is gonna be amazing, lead by dive kick Yuri.

Nice , mine will be Yuri , Mai and Betty still depending on how the females play i might got 2 team but both will have Betty in them.

Terareflection said:
It's going to interesting to see how neomax costing 2 meters in HD, will change things. The worst case scenario is that the game might be more defensive, since everyone will do big damage.

Maybe for some chars , other i see being more attacking since it going to be easy to do major damage .
Neomax using 2 bars in HD made me change up my whole team order that i had in my head .
Still got to put in some games and lab work to see if things right .

Terareflection said:

It's going to make all characters in the second position more threatening at least, that's for sure.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Terareflection said:

It shouldn't change that too much. Just make a large amount of characters able to do what the high tiers already could do in "clutch" moments. The biggest thing it should lead to, is NM's actually being a worthy option to use, giving players a bigger reason to USE them, where as before, many people would have been able to land a near-sure kill if they just used their NM, but the high-cost kept them from considering the option.

N4Us

Wonder if reduced scaling on EX Collider will increase combo possibilities. Hard to hit with anything after that to begin with.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Updated the Prof's Quote up there, he cleared up some of the messier translations.

N4Us said:
Wonder if reduced scaling on EX Collider will increase combo possibilities. Hard to hit with anything after that to begin with.

Well, whatever you do after collider (I swear he says Corridor, lol) should hurt much more. So any DC'd DMs or such should be more viable. In-corner Iaido-Kick DC'd into Rolling thunder? Raijinken DC'd into EX Raikoken? Raikoken by itself? Re-Stand with a TigerKnee'd Console-edition Air EX Raijiken?

So many of Beni's changes answer to thinks I've always wanted him to have (A bigger use for that silly Drill, more use for air Raijinken), that they really DO wanna make me play him, lol. I think He and Vice will be a special part of my "CvS2 Nostalgia Throwback"
Team... Guess I could add King or Mai to that team as well... I did want an excuse to play Mai on consoles! Other than the fact she had my favorite normals, besides Takuma, at Otakon...

Grokbu

Dat updaaaaaate!

Drink pink combos? That'd be too awesome.
While already known, Clark's new SAB seems pretty great. Add to that his faster command dash and he's gonna be really dangerous.

I really do think that SNKP are doing such a great job balancing. Even high tier+ characters are getting buffs, many of them are fun buffs, which gives characters enjoying tools, too.

Don't get me started on Mai... She's going to be so fun to use.

alstein

CadetMahoney said:

hmmm sounds well cheap.

He needed something to power him up- he was considered bottom tier in arcade.

Mai got similar buffing.

I do like SNK's rebalance philosophy- I'm not a fan of the SRK "buff everyone" model, as that just leads to stupidity, but SNK gets it when they nerf people, as they always make sure you have a reason to still play the character by giving something new, even if it's super-situational.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
A few minor corrections / Updates:

Clark
* His Stepping (Forward+BD) is faster
* Weak SAB has full-body autoguard but comes out slower than before
- EX SAB>Flying Elbow can be MAX canceled
- EX Gatling Attack's invincibility runs out when its hit detection comes out. Projectile invincibility doesn't, even after hit detection comes out.
- If Fierce or EX Gateling gets blocked, the Afterattack throw won't come out any more
* Vulcan Punch can be canceled with another move on startup. This allows for some new combos like close Fierce punch (2nd hit)>VulcanPunch>SAB

Producer Yamamoto says: He's a throw character so we've buffed his throws. With moves like his Weak SAB, his front step, and being able to do a super cancel from a 1-frame throw, he should be able to fight like a real thrower.

So BioBooster on DC pointed out that Clark's new Cancel is to -SUPER- Cancelling, which, of course, makes more sense really (As MAX canceling is suppose to be what happens when you cancel a super into a Neomax), these terms are too loose XD.

SO rather than doing, say, an EX UAB to end a combo, you can now do EX SAB -> Flashing Elbow -> [SC] UAB. Of if you want to burn 3 meters, and only one drive cancel, combo into EX SAB -> Flashing Elbow -> [SC] EX UAB.

Mai
- Kaschousen comes out faster, also has quicker recovery
* Ukibane (down + B in air) has different trajectory than Arcade, recovery time has been changed
* Musasabi(from ground) can be canceled to Floating attack
* WK>FK is a chain combo. Can be used to connect into HD mode, and also gives Mai more damage on pokes
* EX air Shinobibachi added in game. Invincible until hit detection comes out.
- Crouching FP has more cancelable frames
- Weak Ryuenbu has more vertical hitbox
* Neomax comes out faster and freezes time when it reaches the edge of screen

Producer Yamamoto says: We've balanced her as a female ninja by giving her attacks that can make her fight more tricky from the air. Using Ukibane to trick the opponent and doing an attack string, or hit confirming from her crouching fierce punch have become effective tactics. Her Neomax has also been buffed.

"Floating Attack" there , was corrected to mean her "Ukihane" air dive command normal (d+B). So not every aerial moves she has, just that one (so far). Also note that This is (possibly) the first time she's been able to cancel the Towards-wall jump, normally, she can only cancel AFTER the off-the-wall jump portion.

This should be pretty useful, as she can special-cancel into the Musasabi-no-Mai leap from normals, in either forwards or backwards leap directions. Might give her some nice suprise mixups, similiar to Yuri's demon Flip -> Divekick pressure.

CadetMahoney said:

Pink-suited Terry's and Techni-colored Ralf's for everyone! (o_O)

That really isn't much help without any context. Also, is the sound supposed to be so fucking low? My speakers are at its highest and I can still only barely hear it =/

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, I really don't know where the "HERE'S AN ONLINE MATCH!" stuff came from. The only article they have mentioning KoF XIII today is one about "the next big games releasing", sooo... it's odd that the first online play screens we get from the game, is from something with this little actual context.

The sound was low for me too. I have no idea what they're doing, and it's all so awkwardly done that it almost feels like a mistake, rather than a featured presentation.

To decloud your mind from the odd stuff on presentation here, here's 3 more Console Edition vids from Paris Manga's event (though the first one was posted somewhere before), nicely brought to our attention by Nagare_Ryouma

PRO - 1/4 Finale - Hokuto-Youssef VS Pharaon
PRO - 1/2 Finale - eLivepro|Frionel VS Hokuto-Youssef <- This one had some great play all around.
PRO - 1/2 Finale - SBR Rickyo VS holy

SAB CA said:
So, KoF has been getting some odd videos on IGN today. A couple with Mai fighting braindead looking opponents... but... this one video here is a video of an ONLINE FIGHT?!?

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/10/14/king-of-fighters-xiii-extended-online-footage

Has the names at top of screen and everything. A Mockup, or actual fighting between 2 distanced locations? I see no articles on the site that explain any of it...
Yeah, it really doesn't mean much. You can't really tell the quality of the netcode(if it is real) from the vids, too.

SAB CA said:
So, KoF has been getting some odd videos on IGN today. A couple with Mai fighting braindead looking opponents... but... this one video here is a video of an ONLINE FIGHT?!?

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/10/14/king-of-fighters-xiii-extended-online-footage

Has the names at top of screen and everything. A Mockup, or actual fighting between 2 distanced locations? I see no articles on the site that explain any of it...

I feel like i recognize one of the names. Def would like to know where the location is taking place.

On the plus side, it shows that the Loadtimes aren't that bad. Plus its not blatantly bad netcode where the framerate stutters.

Fersis

SAB CA said:

What a weird way of showing the online.

So yeah dunno what to think.

Ill let Mr Jared blow Atlus up in the next Frame Trap episode.

Fersis said:
What a weird way of showing the online.

So yeah dunno what to think.

Ill let Mr Jared blow Atlus up in the next Frame Trap episode.

Id hold off until we find out the context behind the vids. For all we know, it could be an ign preview with the vid showing a connection between Atlus and IGN or SNKP and IGN (both in Cali....) Who knows. We'll see

Fersis

At least you know that Atlus is going to do a kickass job promoting the Persona fighter.
Fubarduck said that KOFXIII is Atlus 'training' for Persona ... he doesnt seem too far off.

Top Bottom