• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII - Console version detailed

Tizoc

In my fictional SvC3 roster, I have Heavy D! vs. Boxer.
...but am considering switching him with Shen Woo =/

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
robut said:
How about Orochi Brian where you turns into J. Max?
jmax-chrge.gif

I'd be perfectly fine with Brian just being replaced by J.Max / Getting some of his moves normally, and having J.Max as a 2nd Palette (set of 10 new colors + Helmet and "evil" football gear). Kinda like how I wouldn't mind if World Heros Ryoko and Fighters History Ryoko became an amalgam character that had the best of each character, lol.

Heavy D! VS "Boxer"

Vanessa VS Dudley

Shen Woo VS special guest star BONUS KUN!

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080810185539/snk/images/9/9a/Bonus-sprite1.gif

Or... Cody. Or something.

GrayFoxPL

SAB CA said:
I'd be perfectly fine with Brian just being replaced by J.Max / Getting some of his moves normally, and having J.Max as a 2nd Palette (set of 10 new colors + Helmet and "evil" football gear). Kinda like how I wouldn't mind if World Heros Ryoko and Fighters History Ryoko became an amalgam character that had the best of each character, lol.

What about Rasputin?

Fuck I'm scared of that guy.

"Keep close" "Zone in" kind of char.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Rasputin might jump the shark (orochi?) Just a LITTLE bit, and would probably fit in better with something like NGBC. Though, he definitely deserves to "Garden of Love" Ash one of these days, so we can all be disturbed / confused / cheering / running / something from the spectcle.

(Brocken VS Dictator SVC3!)

haunts

Bacon of Hope
leona is so dope. going to pick her up and try her in the next ranbat..

i am thinking shen, leona, kyo as my team order.

i def need more practice with her tho

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
haunts said:
leona is so dope. going to pick her up and try her in the next ranbat..

i am thinking shen, leona, kyo as my team order.

i def need more practice with her tho

Needed to have someone to carry those Charges, eh? Very cool! She's always been a fav, of mine, and I love the fact that her combos are more open ended and varied in XIII.

Guess you and N4US will get into some Leona Mirrors, if he doesn't pick Ash!

Will still miss the Kim of yours; though I'd understand why you wouldn't wanna drop Shen or Kyo for him.

Tizoc

SAB CA said:

Heavy D! VS "Boxer"

Rick Strowd VS Dudley
Fixed.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
DDTCombo presents: KOF XIII: Athena combo tutorial - Athena the Psychic-Powered Idol.

Eesh. It's gonna get hard for me not to wanna main Athena and Mai in XIII, lol. I love the Mai console changes, and Athena just has so much fun stuff, if you're willing to USE it, lol.

Tizoc said:

Naaa... I really like Rick (*insert wolf howl here*) But I think it'd be more interesting to see conversations and lines bassed between Dudley and Vanessa. "Lets fight... like gentle... err..." Both tie-wearing boxers, both of a decent age, both having loved ones they keep in their memories while fighting...

This doesn't mean I don't think Rick should be somewhere, though, lol. If for some reason Vanessa wouldn't make it in XIII, I'd take him on a team of DLC with Hon-Fu and someone else from Real Bout (Mary? Tung? Cheng Shinzan?), as reps from that game series...

Kioshen

Yay a new DDTCombo video :D. This game has so many interesting characters to play. I still don't know what team I'm going to roll since there's too many of them :(.

Grokbu

That Athena DDTC video was great!
Kioshen said:
Yay a new DDTCombo video :D. This game has so many interesting characters to play. I still don't know what team I'm going to roll since there's too many of them :(.
Tell me about it. It's gonna take quite some time figuring out my main team. The only one I'm sure about is Maxima.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Grokbu said:

I've had to watch it multiple times now! o_O Now I'm an Athena theme binge, too, lol. Back during KoF 94 / 95, it was the Psycho soldier themes I couldn't get out of my head... this still resurfaces now, lol. (Not to mention there's a bunch of Remixes and Image song variations I've yet to hear...)

BTW, the English Lyrics (And DUB) to the Athena Arcade game Themesong Are so funny.
Athena's name is magic Mystery... is what you see Her crystal is the answer fighting fair to keep us free She's just a little girl with power inside burning bright You'd better hide if you are bad... she'll get you She'll read your mind and find if you believe in right or wrong! "Fire," "Fire..." Psycho Soldier "Fire," "Fire..." Psycho Soldier~!​

Makes me smile to think of Leona's "....don't read my mind, please." Winquote to Athena in KoF XII. Guess she's a closet fan!

Tell me about it. It's gonna take quite some time figuring out my main team. The only one I'm sure about is Maxima.

*VAPUH REEESPECT!*

Kioshen

Grokbu said:

For me it's Terry Bogard after watching the iPW stream from Southtown. Seems like a fun character that's versatile and dependable.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
_dementia said:
Sooo, about this loading... Has it been fixed?

Not gonna know until we see it on retail systems / see a "Gold" burn. Gunsmith said the Paris Manga event version was the Press right before "Gold", and it still showed issues.

All we have to go by, is the fact that the PS3 installed version had no loading issues. That should really be good enough... all it can do is get better from there.

These dev systems lack the ram and HD's of their retail cousins. So they're not gonna work great with 2D games (especially ones that don't use many/any 3D poly elements). Hopefully, we'll see something more finalized soon.

Criminal Upper said:
Really tempted to pick this up, but I know all my friends will abandon it in a week, just like XII.

Those aren't real friends. Make new ones!

And as much as we've brought it up to Atlus, I'm sure SNKP has gotten an earfull on loading issues.

_dementia said:

Really be surprised if it's something SNK even knows is a problem.

Tempted to pick this up, but I know all my friends will abandon it in a week, just like XII.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
_dementia said:
You should havent any issues with the installed game.

Elixist

This game looks fuckin rad. Thx for the DDTC links never watched those before only watched a few dint want to spoil all the moves before i get a chance to play. I skipped on previous version cause of its problems, but i think ill cop this sometime for sure.

_dementia said:

Sorry to keep repeating myself, but if KOF XII didn't have loading trouble between rounds I can't see why the final version of XIII would. Don't you all think this would be the case?

Tizoc

SAB CA said:
DDTCombo presents: KOF XIII: Athena combo tutorial - Athena the Psychic-Powered Idol.

Eesh. It's gonna get hard for me not to wanna main Athena and Mai in XIII, lol. I love the Mai console changes, and Athena just has so much fun stuff, if you're willing to USE it, lol.
I got bored halfway TBH lol.

Naaa... I really like Rick (*insert wolf howl here*) But I think it'd be more interesting to see conversations and lines bassed between Dudley and Vanessa. "Lets fight... like gentle... err..."
Oh please those jokes are old ugh.
...and why you gotta choose hoes over homies, huh? I blame all those Vanessa H-images and doujins you've seen >=P

Both tie-wearing boxers, both of a decent age, both having loved ones they keep in their memories while fighting...
I don't think anyone cares about Vanessa's loved ones =V

Fersis said:
You should havent any issues with the installed game.
What if I don't want to install it? BBCS and SSF4 run fine without installation, so KoF XIII without install should load quickly.

Grokbu

SAB CA said:
BTW, the English Lyrics (And DUB) to the Athena Arcade game Themesong Are so funny.
Athena's name is magic Mystery... is what you see Her crystal is the answer fighting fair to keep us free She's just a little girl with power inside burning bright You'd better hide if you are bad... she'll get you She'll read your mind and find if you believe in right or wrong! "Fire," "Fire..." Psycho Soldier "Fire," "Fire..." Psycho Soldier~!​

Makes me smile to think of Leona's "....don't read my mind, please." Winquote to Athena in KoF XII. Guess she's a closet fan!
Heh. I like their attention to detail, like that win quote.
SAB CA said:
*VAPUH REEESPECT!*
Brofist.
sHmgF.png

EDIT:
patrickthehedgehog said:
Sorry to keep repeating myself, but if KOF XII didn't have loading trouble between rounds I can't see why the final version of XIII would. Don't you all think this would be the case?
I would think that would be the case too. And since all the consoles that this game has been played on has had less RAM than retail systems (as far as I know at least), I wouldn't think that loading would be an issue.

alstein

Tizoc said:
What if I don't want to install it? BBCS and SSF4 run fine without installation, so KoF XIII without install should load quickly.

BBCS sprites take up a lot less horsepower then KOF sprites, especially when you got 6 of them in a 3 on 3. KOF is more demanding on a console then SF or BB.

Tizoc

alstein said:
BBCS sprites take up a lot less horsepower then KOF sprites, especially when you got 6 of them in a 3 on 3. KOF is more demanding on a console then SF or BB.
I find that a bit hard to believe mate. ...but at the very least a mandatory install should get the job done like how MvC3 does it (1 GB install and everything loads smoothly)

Tizoc said:
I find that a bit hard to believe mate. ...but at the very least a mandatory install should get the job done like how MvC3 does it (1 GB install and everything loads smoothly)

Now that I think about it...I seem to remember KOF XII getting a forced install on PS3 after the first update.

patrickthehedgehog said:
Now that I think about it...I seem to remember KOF XII getting a forced install on PS3 after the first update.

Basically when everyone complained about load times in online, the reason turned out to be that the install was optional and people who didn't install took forever to play, so they made a patch which contained all the install data, greatly reducing load times.

I suspect XIII will have a similar case. Something something loading 6 characters one after the other when needed.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Tizoc said:
I got bored halfway TBH lol.
It is a bit long, but for a character you don't see much of, it's great seeing she has so much variety, and any little variation helps prove this. A lot of peole think the "lack of certain specials" means that the character of XIII lack depth compared to old KoF games. DDTCombo's vids prove that they don't in the slightest, and I think that's one of the strongest points of his later vids.

Just because you ONLY see 3 combos for Shen or K' all the time, doesn't mean that's all they have, for example. It's great to see it proven to an increasinly-larger audience, with a wider variety of characters.

Oh please those jokes are old ugh.
...and why you gotta choose hoes over homies, huh? I blame all those Vanessa H-images and doujins you've seen >=P

I don't think anyone cares about Vanessa's loved ones =V

Regardless of what anyone says, the reason matchups are interesting in VS series, are because of the ways the devs figure how to "equate" character designs to each other. Their story and background DO matter for these reasons. It can be as small as a special intro or minor outfit design changes, or as large as deciding on unique traits given to the characters move properties, to make this "priority matchup" one worth playing, or a tag team worth playing together.

There's nothing at all similiar between Duds and Rick. "I like to punch things. Me too. Let's fight!"; It's amazingly shallow, and lacks ANYTHING to work with, lol. That's not the way a good VS matchup is formed. My quote up there may be a "tired joke", but it's better than the reasons for Dudley VS Rick.

You know I'm all about getting the unique, original, interesting designs in there (And Rick's an Indian chara who'se not cut from the T.Hawk cloth, plus a darker-skinned boxer who isn't as foolish as 'rog, or as snoody as Duds, so he's pretty unique among 2D fighter characters), but when it comes to crossovers, you deliver on the characters that have interesting matchups. Any friend I've intro'd to KoF via 2K2UM mentiones wanting to see Vanessa Vs Dudley, lol.

BB is a bunch of frames of 2 characters, and their assets. KoF XIII is up to 6, + many more frames for the variety of background characters, and the stage elements, which are 720p pixel artwork, not 3D with texture data. Not to mention XIII's color info is more dynamic (5 or 6 shades per color, rather than 2 or 3). Also, dynamically changing backgrounds might require certain elements to be replaced between rounds (like the sky in the desert stage, or the new blimps per round for the Rooftop City stage). depending on how SNKP worked it out.

As mentioned before, I'd just make Win Poses mandatory, and stream the BG damage in-and-out during that time, to "mask" between-match load times, if need be, but we'll see how it works out.

It should load much quicker on official consoles, just by default. I really think things like the staggered-loading victory screens, and jumpy music between rounds, should be a non-issue on retail units by default.

Grokbu said:
Heh. I like their attention to detail, like that win quote.
Brofist.
sHmgF.png

SNKP really doesn't forget, lol. Just like how the KoF XI Concert Stage Theme is a remix of Athena's old song, lol. As much as people speak of "This isn't the same SNK that died before!" They do a VERY good job at respecting and remembering the old stuff.

And that Maxima image is perfect, lol. I wanted to find something similiar, too, but couldn't! +1!

gundamkyoukai said:
Nice combos , can't wait to play her .
I play her in every KOF as my zone char she is awesome that way.

I never was comfortable hop-zoning with her, lol. I always wanted to rush in, trick them with backwards jump phoenix arrows, and psycho-sword them out of every jump attempt, lol. I really like all the frametraps her normals provide in XIII, as seen with THIS Vid of Athena XIII play.

Amagon

SAB CA said:
DDTCombo presents: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0sF2ZN4Opw#ws" target="_blank" title="Go To The YouTube Page" class="ypg">KOF XIII: Athena combo tutorial - Athena the Psychic-Powered Idol.</a>

Naaa... I really like Rick (*insert wolf howl here*) But I think it'd be more interesting to see conversations and lines bassed between Dudley and Vanessa. "Lets fight... like gentle... err..." Both tie-wearing boxers, both of a decent age, both having loved ones they keep in their memories while fighting...

This doesn't mean I don't think Rick should be somewhere, though, lol. If for some reason Vanessa wouldn't make it in XIII, I'd take him on a team of DLC with Hon-Fu and someone else from Real Bout (Mary? Tung? Cheng Shinzan?), as reps from that game series...
Watch that video several times now. Really enjoy the variety of combos she has. Really surprise me. Not to mention that the music had me hooked too! Really can't wait to see the Kensou combo video next. He's been my main since 95' and really didn't like his moveset that much after 12. Hoping DDTC provide some kickass combos to satisfy my hunger!!! :)

Tizoc

SAB CA said:
It is a bit long, but for a character you don't see much of, it's great seeing she has so much variety, and any little variation helps prove this. A lot of peole think the "lack of certain specials" means that the character of XIII lack depth compared to old KoF games. DDTCombo's vids prove that they don't in the slightest, and I think that's one of the strongest points of his later vids.
I'd like to see him do Billy then, his movelist doesn't seem to inspire much lol.

Just because you ONLY see 3 combos for Shen or K' all the time, doesn't mean that's all they have, for example. It's great to see it proven to an increasinly-larger audience, with a wider variety of characters.
Whatev man, I'll just stick to the easy damaging combos and I'll be fine.

Regardless of what anyone says, the reason matchups are interesting in VS series, are because of the ways the devs figure how to "equate" character designs to each other. Their story and background DO matter for these reasons. It can be as small as a special intro or minor outfit design changes, or as large as deciding on unique traits given to the characters move properties, to make this "priority matchup" one worth playing, or a tag team worth playing together.
Dude I was joking, yeesh.

There's nothing at all similiar between Duds and Rick. "I like to punch things. Me too. Let's fight!"; It's amazingly shallow, and lacks ANYTHING to work with, lol. That's not the way a good VS matchup is formed. My quote up there may be a "tired joke", but it's better than the reasons for Dudley VS Rick.
Well I don't see what makes Vanessa vs. Dudley any more interesting.
...and you're being unfair: Just because YOU can't be half-assed to think of a smart dialog between the two, there can't be any and thus it will never work?

You know I'm all about getting the unique, original, interesting designs in there (And Rick's an Indian chara who'se not cut from the T.Hawk cloth, plus a darker-skinned boxer who isn't as foolish as 'rog, or as snoody as Duds, so he's pretty unique among 2D fighter characters), but when it comes to crossovers, you deliver on the characters that have interesting matchups.
Or you just put in whoever you want and/or whose playstyle you think would work well in a VS game.

Any friend I've intro'd to KoF via 2K2UM mentiones wanting to see Vanessa Vs Dudley, lol.
Well that's because-
1- They fap to Vanessa
2- They don't know who Rick Strowd is
3- They fap to Vanessa

BB is a bunch of frames of 2 characters, and their assets. KoF XIII is up to 6, + many more frames for the variety of background characters, and the stage elements, which are 720p pixel artwork, not 3D with texture data. Not to mention XIII's color info is more dynamic (5 or 6 shades per color, rather than 2 or 3). Also, dynamically changing backgrounds might require certain elements to be replaced between rounds (like the sky in the desert stage, or the new blimps per round for the Rooftop City stage). depending on how SNKP worked it out.
If (U)MvC3 can get away with a 1 GB install and the game runs fine, then so should KoF XIII.
Additional install shouldn't be necessary.

N4Us

SAB CA said:
Guess you and N4US will get into some Leona Mirrors, if he doesn't pick Ash!

It depends, I have my good/bad days with Leona. I was actually doing pretty good with her today in casuals. Same with Ash and Terry.

Surprisingly, it was Beni I was having major issues with today. Dropped 90% of my combos and kept getting whiffed moves when I didn't want them. Although I did discover a pretty awesome cancel into Rolling Thunder.

SAB CA said:
I never was comfortable hop-zoning with her, lol. I always wanted to rush in, trick them with backwards jump phoenix arrows, and psycho-sword them out of every jump attempt, lol. I really like all the frametraps her normals provide in XIII, as seen with THIS Vid of Athena XIII play.

Man i love zoning with her , i normally play attacking up close chars but doing a fireball then running forward and punching someone with her feels so good lol.
I guess it's because they got so much ways to get in so keeping people out is fun .

SolarKnight said:
He's Iori, pretty much 2k2 Iori at that, there is absolutely no way he is anything lower than A tier.
I really hope he doesn't have 2k2 Iori hop back-kick crossup. . . it was so fast in 2k2. I know they fixed normal Iori in this with that where you can only do it higher or something. Hope flame Iori doesn't have it. His normal fireballs better not charge stock. Lame ass Iori players doing fireballs from the end of the screen is so 98 just as long as they don't charge stock just by doing them.

Mista Koo

Tizoc said:
Well that's because-
1- They fap to Vanessa
3- They fap to Vanessa
Err I don't know either but from the first time I saw Vanessa I liked her. She has a better/more interesting character design and dresses like Dudley.

Tizoc

Mista Koo said:
Err I don't know either but from the first time I saw Vanessa I liked her. She has a better/more interesting character design and dresses like Dudley.
Well she's a hot redhead who boxes, what's not to like? lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
THE NO LIFE KING said:
Watch that video several times now. Really enjoy the variety of combos she has. Really surprise me. Not to mention that the music had me hooked too! Really can't wait to see the Kensou combo video next. He's been my main since 95' and really didn't like his moveset that much after 12. Hoping DTDC provide some kickass combos to satisfy my hunger!!! :)

Should world out pretty well; have you see any solid Kensou play from the videos? I really like what he's become, personally, but he was never a primary character of mine, so I know I can't judge as well. My brother has pretty much main'd him since the beginning, first identifying with his youth, and then really liking the later EX Kensou, psycho-powerless varieties, and what they made of him in KoF XI, which seemed like the perfect mix of what he's been and become.

XIII seems to carry that on to me, which I think is awesome. He has a great zoning game like always, but the addition of new normals, that running-push-away kick he ends his rekka's with, and the cancellable backflip (which has a great description of how awesome it is on the Shoryuken Kensou XIII Wiki) that he has, he seems very well rounded in being able to shift from a zoner, to a combo-monster, as long as he has those meters.

----------

Tizoc said:
I'd like to see him do Billy then, his movelist doesn't seem to inspire much lol.

Yeah, Billy might be the worse offender, but I'm sure he'll open up some. Though I do get the feeling he's less about the combos and specials, and more about the fancy normals.

Whatev man, I'll just stick to the easy damaging combos and I'll be fine.

Oh, that's fine. But still, I've seen many a time where a match could have been decided 2 or 3 combos ago, if people were better-versed with their characters. Such as the amount of times Chris-Tan in the ranbats could have used Teleport with Athena to continue a combo / go for the kill with Athena, in the IPW/ST Ranbats.

I'm a fan of easier, effective combos too, but XIII balances effort and strength very well for me. End a combo with an EX DM to save cancel meters, end it with 2 drive cancels to save super meters, end it with a drive and super cancel to save a bit of both of those... soo many options. So many ways to play the same characters.

Dude I was joking, yeesh.

But what comes afterwards says you weren't! XD

Well I don't see what makes Vanessa vs. Dudley any more interesting.
...and you're being unfair: Just because YOU can't be half-assed to think of a smart dialog between the two, there can't be any and thus it will never work?

It's not even that, though. Any good creative individual will try to find a relation between characters that they're going to pair up. They'll work those details up in different ways, to give them topics to interact over. On a personal level for the characters, Vanessa and Dudley are both more mature-targeted characters. They're both somehow refined; her as a mature woman of 30, who has a deceased husband, and a daughter, and Dudley as an upperclass socialite who enjoys the best things in life.

Along with the "deep", they'll look at the "surface", to make things obvious to the general consumer. Nessa and Duds already share white shirt, suspenders, green pants, and a boxing fighting style together.

If I was going to pair Rick VS Duds, I'd base it off the fact that Rick apparently worked for a Casion that probably was on an Indian reservation, and is close to nature. He's a showman who probably is a bit bitter to not have his own natural land or home. Dudley has a family tradition that has passed everything TO him; he was born into a much more gifted life. So it'd pretty much be the Rich yet Talented VS the Vagabond hard worker... I think we have enough of those pairs in fighters, lol.

Or you just put in whoever you want and/or whose playstyle you think would work well in a VS game.

But this really never happens. Not when the game is done well, anywho. Good designers want you to be drawn to these matchups, and to play around with all the curious ideas your fan-mind would contemplate at the mere mention of (Company VS Company). Sure they'll force some far-fetched ones in there, in order to serve certain brands and the like, but thankfully, all ideas of "cool", "badass", "cute", "sexy", and the like, are similiar enough to have popular characters pretty much hanging out with the same traits. So it's rarely a far, or difficult, stretch.

Well that's because-
1- They fap to Vanessa
3- They fap to Vanessa

They didn't know who Vanessa was either, until introduced to the game. So I doubt they "fap'd" to her! ;)

Seriously, though, Vanessa is an interesting character, especially for SF fans. She's more than just "A boxer with boobs", it does her design a disservice to speak of it as such. She's also one of the furthest from the Capcom boxer stereotypes possible, and she fights in a way that no female character would in the Capcom universe. (Even Viper, her closest style match, relies on tech to make up for her weaker body.)

I also like the fact that Seth and Ramon would be similiar enough to Dudley and El Furete, to where she might have something to say on that, as well. (I really like how MI2's Seth suddenly had Vanessa / Dudley like combos too! ) I'd enjoy playing 2K2UM of MI2 Seth in some other game series... his aerial mobility, counters, and command normals would be fantastic to see adapted.

Anyway...

If (U)MvC3 can get away with a 1 GB install and the game runs fine, then so should KoF XIII.
Additional install shouldn't be necessary.

I'll just say I hope you PS3 guys get install options, lol. On Xbox, XII's install was under 800 megs, and cleared up a lot of loading, and made the game run similiar to arcade. It is still very playable without install, though.

I hope the same happens here!

------

N4Us said:
It depends, I have my good/bad days with Leona. I was actually doing pretty good with her today in casuals. Same with Ash and Terry.

Surprisingly, it was Beni I was having major issues with today. Dropped 90% of my combos and kept getting whiffed moves when I didn't want them. Although I did discover a pretty awesome cancel into Rolling Thunder.

Heh, I can relate. Some days, I don't wanna see Leona in any KoF... she's not as easy to stage comebacks with, or to pressure people to mess up, unless they're impatient, and fall for repeat V-Slashers! I enjoy Leona mirrors though (as rare as they are), as I feel that really test who knows her the best, and knows when to use what normals, what not to attack after, and what not to get baited into.

I don't know WHY I've always sucked with Beni's Handou Sandangeri, but I do, haha. Except maybe in CVS2, where I HAD to main him, because his Dash-through DM was soo awesome. But Beni's combos are so risky in ways, and he's not the most easy to play all the time... I could easily understand you having a bad day with him :(

I wasn't aware of the fact his (C) Raijinken comboed off light attacks & heavy attacks (and knocks down), and (A) only off heavy attacks (and leaves standing), in this game. That's so backwards, haha. I was so suprised to see Raijinken combo off lights in general!

(Speaking of Beni makes me wonder why I've never managed to watch the Gunbuster anime, after all these years :( . Super Inazuma Kick!)

-----------

gundamkyoukai said:
Man i love zoning with her , i normally play attacking up close chars but doing a fireball then running forward and punching someone with her feels so good lol.
I guess it's because they got so much ways to get in so keeping people out is fun .

Yeah, good zoning Athena's annoy me a LOT! (T_T) Moreso than SF-style zoning, because she ALWAYS seems RIGHT there when she needs to be! It really shows a lot of solid prediction and solid thinking on your part; I always feel like my attempts to zone with her are super-obvious... then I go back to playing Whip! (>_>)

-----------

CadetMahoney said:
I really hope he doesn't have 2k2 Iori hop back-kick crossup. . . it was so fast in 2k2. I know they fixed normal Iori in this with that where you can only do it higher or something. Hope flame Iori doesn't have it. His normal fireballs better not charge stock. Lame ass Iori players doing fireballs from the end of the screen is so 98 just as long as they don't charge stock just by doing them.

Stock is only built in this game, by projectiles that land on someone, either as a real hit, or a block. Thus, you can't earn meter if your opponent is jumping / rolling through projectiles.

The only way to safely build stock at distance, is to whiff quick recovery "physical" attacks. The most spammed from arcade (Shen's SHEN WOO PUNCH CANCEL!, Maxima's back-hop Air Vapor cancel, and Elisabeth's Étincelle) have had their meter-building properties seriously nerfed/changed now, so even THEY can't stand away and whiff to build meter like before.

----------

Finaika said:
But she's married.

But her husband is dead, apparently! Guess that's why Ramon feels ok with hitting on her at every instance.

SAB CA said:
Stock is only built in this game, by projectiles that land on someone, either as a real hit, or a block. Thus, you can't earn meter if your opponent is jumping / rolling through projectiles.

The only way to safely build stock at distance, is to whiff quick recovery "physical" attacks. The most spammed from arcade (Shen's SHEN WOO PUNCH CANCEL!, Maxima's back-hop Air Vapor cancel, and Elisabeth's Étincelle) have had their meter-building properties seriously nerfed/changed now, so even THEY can't stand away and whiff to build meter like before.
That's good to hear. I know Yuri's qcb+p builds stock like crazy on miss, which is good. Her HCB + B might be a better safer alternative though since there's less frames and telegraphing.

In 2k2 Athena builds stock with fireballs (iirc). . . not too sure in this one. If she doesn't that means Yuri can counter her projectiles with qcb+A whilst still build stock. :)

Tizoc

SAB CA said:
But what comes afterwards says you weren't! XD
Well if you didn't take it too seriously I wouldn't have written more ;3

They didn't know who Vanessa was either, until introduced to the game. So I doubt they "fap'd" to her! ;)
Ahahahahaha
nice try ;P

Oh and I think that if you know how to get your game's design properly you can put in whoever you want, now granted Makoto and Dudley wouldn't work well with a system that has 3 or 4 buttons, but that doesn't mean you can give them 3 new normals to work with the system.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CadetMahoney said:
That's good to hear. I know Yuri's qcb+p builds stock like crazy on miss, which is good. Her HCB + B might be a better safer alternative though since there's less frames and telegraphing.

In 2k2 Athena builds stock with fireballs (iirc). . . not too sure in this one. If she doesn't that means Yuri can counter her projectiles with qcb+A whilst still build stock. :)

Yup, Yuri is generally blessed with being better than everyone, lol. (Yet noone cares...) Athena might have a safer stock-build with spamming reflectors (which still reflects hits, as well as projectiles, I believe), or safe B phoenix arrow pressure. If Yuri counter her fireball with Saiha, it'll probably count as a "hit", but I'd wager Yuri would build more meter... y'know, because she's Yuri!

-----------

Tizoc said:
Oh and I think that if you know how to get your game's design properly you can put in whoever you want, now granted Makoto and Dudley wouldn't work well with a system that has 3 or 4 buttons, but that doesn't mean you can give them 3 new normals to work with the system.

You can always "do what you want", but smart designers do what'll serve the most buyers the best, as that'll serve their companies the best, and keep them with their jobs! At least in games like this. You can have all-girl, all-guy, or all-muscle men cast if you wanna design for it, but in "the charm IS the characters!" games like KoF, or other crossovers, it's best to have some rhyme to what you're doing.

There'll always be a difference between just doing something... and doing it well!

-----------

Urban Scholar said:
We talking about Vanessa? She's my favorite KOF female character. Very classy design and I really did enjoy her animations in KOF XI. Whoo!

Just as I like the maturity of a character like Maxima, I also like it in Vanessa. I kinda wanna slap Chun Li in 3rd strike, she she starts her trademark "Yatta!" jumps/giggle, because they try to make her rather serious most of the time, except then. "How old are you suppose to be now? Stop th- dawwwh!"

There's very few women in fighters who act mature, without some childish element, but Vanessa pulls it off rather well. Her clothing design, voice, mannerisms... it all works much better than most.

(I never understood how a neophyte boxer like her, was able to learn to move so fast, as to appear to disappear in her SDMs, though... she still hurts her fist while punching, because she's kinda new, but can slip past blows and move like the wind, like a pro!)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Shotouts to Atlus for dropping the ball and not showing KOFXIII at Devastation.

Top Bottom