• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII - Console version detailed

And america gets nothing as usual, not that there would be a playable demo anywhere near where I live, but dammit, I wish Atlus weren't so insular with their games.

Mileena

Banned
So is the PS3 version gonna have that atrocious loading from the video above of the 360 version? That would be hilarious. Pretty much everyone I know is on the "if there's that loading in between characters in the final version I'm not buying this shit" fence.

corkscrewblow said:
So is the PS3 version gonna have that atrocious loading from the video above of the 360 version? That would be hilarious. Pretty much everyone I know is on the "if there's that loading in between characters in the final version I'm not buying this shit" fence.

The loading will be better after you install the game but there will be loading during the rounds there is no getting away from that .
The game has to load the new char coming in to fight .

corkscrewblow said:

Those are SRK fanboys. I tend to disregard them. They're the ones that say I'll play KOF if this and that are done then look for any flaw not to play it. Bad netcode? No buy! No mai? No bai! No K'? No pay Kash! No Kula? NO MULA! No Vice? No Dice!

Loading doesn't phase me. Anyone remember the Neo Geo CD loading times? If they were that, then complain. But these aren't even that bad.

branny

Did it really have to take ten seconds to get to the win screen? I like how Kula was so amazing that her loading even caused the music to stop, unless that was a recording error. (fake edit: Nvm, happened with Kyo, too.)

Douche McBaggins The 3rd said:
No mai? No bai! No K'? No pay Kash! No Kula? NO MULA! No Vice? No Dice!
No May Lee, no pay thee!

corkscrewblow said:
dude it's like 6-7 seconds after each character dies, that's abysmal.

Yep about 6 seconds , still we don't know if the game was install.
If it was then that is really poor to tell the truth so i hope not .

Arcade version is 2 secs , if they can get to about 3 secs i happy .

Mileena

Banned
Hopefully there's a forced install on the PS3 version. Don't wanna play randoms and have it take 7 seconds between rounds.

branny said:
Did it really have to take ten seconds to get to the win screen? I like how Kula was so amazing that her loading even caused the music to stop, unless that was a recording error. (fake edit: Nvm, happened with Kyo, too.)

No May Lee, no pay thee!
Like Gundam said, the game isn't installed.
Also here is the console intro.

corkscrewblow said:
Hopefully there's a forced install on the PS3 version. Don't wanna play randoms and have it take 7 seconds between rounds.

Fuck i forgot about that , i remember playing with GAF in SSF4 for so long then i play with some randoms .
I was like fuck why is this taking so long then it hit me they must have not install the game.

Terareflection said:
Like Gundam said, the game isn't installed.
Also here is the console intro.

Man 98 for dreamcast still has the best KOF opening of all time.
Then really close behind would be KOF '94 Re-Bout Intro .

Mileena

Banned
Yea it was bad, but even then it's just once before the match and not after every round. I'd rather they have it load 10 seconds before the match than 7 seconds after every character dies. Also I'm not trying to sound negative, I've been hyped for this for a while and just want it to be a great game after SF4, MvC3 and MK9 all being so disappointing.

I have no doubt that the final game will have the two second load times that XII had between rounds either uninstalled or installed. Same engine, same style of sprites. It's a blink of an eye in XII and if it didn't say "now loading" you wouldn't think anything of it. If load times are reduced to a couple seconds I really hope that they remove the text.

Perhaps the problem is the dynamic backgrounds. It's the only thing I can think of that is different in comparison to XII.

It's just natural that people will draw conclusions from these pre-release versions, but I really believe this will be a total non-issue come release day. If it remains in the final game I'll be right here bitching about it with everyone else.

corkscrewblow said:
dude it's like 6-7 seconds after each character dies, that's abysmal.

Shit 6-7 seconds and your're complaining? The Playstation ports were like 20-40 seconds for each ROUND. 6-7 seconds is NOTHING. The Neo Geo CD was 60-90 seconds of loading. You don't know pain until you know Neo Geo CD.

Shit 6-7 seconds and your're complaining? The Playstation ports were like 20-40 seconds for each ROUND. 6-7 seconds is NOTHING. The Neo Geo CD was 60-90 seconds of loading. You don't know pain until you know Neo Geo CD.

The good old days lolol .
On PS1\Neo Geo CD we used to play single player cause the loading was so bad .
Still 7 secs is to long in this day and age when the arcade version is 2 secs .

It's now 2011 though.

Mileena

Banned
Times change. Seven seconds in between rounds is not acceptable in 2011.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
the same people who arent getting the game because of a few seconds of loading time between rounds are the same people who wont be playing it after jerking it to mai for a week or two. they wont be missed.

seriously tho, even at PAX isnt wasnt really that bad. I was personally surprised to see "now loading" and am just going to assume it will be better in the final build but at the end of the day it wasnt nearly bad enough for it to take away from the enjoyment of the game.

haunts said:
the same people who arent getting the game because of a few seconds of loading time between rounds are the same people who wont be playing it after jerking it to mai for a week or two. they wont be missed.

seriously tho, even at PAX isnt wasnt really that bad. I was personally surprised to see "now loading" and am just going to assume it will be better in the final build but at the end of the day it wasnt nearly bad enough for it to take away from the enjoyment of the game.

Little lenient aren't you? I envisioning a few days tops. It's funny though. You can tell those people a mile a way. They never run, never backdash, never hop, always abuse SRK and fireballs.

But Mai? Her face is too messed up in this iteration. If anything it's going to be all about Vice and Mature. Now that's hot.

gundamkyoukai said:
Man 98 for dreamcast still has the best KOF opening of all time.
Then really close behind would be KOF '94 Re-Bout Intro .

Ugh, those intros are HORRIBLE. I can't believe people would rate those so high. "BUT GUYZ IT'S FULLY ANNIE-MAY-TED!"

Yeah animated piss-poorly.

Sure, the intro for 98 on the DC had cool music and an okay fight between Iori and Kyo, but the actual character designs look awful and flat.

94 Rebout is the exact opposite. The characters LOOK great (they really nailed Shinkiro's old artwork) but the animation is so laughably bad. GG/BB sprites are like theatrical-quality anime in comparison.

Skilletor

And those were still shitty load times.

Just like 7 seconds per character is between rounds when you play 6 different characters.

Finaika

But Mai? Her face is too messed up in this iteration. If anything it's going to be all about Vice and Mature. Now that's hot.
How is her face messed up?

Eww necrophilia D:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the loading yet.

Choppasmith said:
Ugh, those intros are HORRIBLE. I can't believe people would rate those so high. "BUT GUYZ IT'S FULLY ANNIE-MAY-TED!"

Yeah animated piss-poorly.

Sure, the intro for 98 on the DC had cool music and an okay fight between Iori and Kyo, but the actual character designs look awful and flat.

94 Rebout is the exact opposite. The characters LOOK great (they really nailed Shinkiro's old artwork) but the animation is so laughably bad. GG/BB sprites are like theatrical-quality anime in comparison.

Man as poor as the animation\art is in both it was awesome back in DC\PS2 days plus nostalgia factor .
They have not done any better to me since then so the bar not that high .

Then again I always wonder why SNK never bother to do a KOF anime other than those 4 shorts .
They have some much they could work with and loads of awesome chars .

Also SNK so poor it makes me cry , BB gets anime stuff , BandaiNamco does CG for there games , Capcom does all sort of stuff now.
What does KOF get nothing .

Mature

haunts said:
Well those load times are hard to handle. Six more seconds until they get to see Mai again? Let's be reasonable here!

I do have to agree that the animated intros are pretty bad. KOF intros always had the motion comic style and I am glad they are keeping it for XIII.

2000's intro is still the best one.

gundamkyoukai said:
Man as poor as the animation\art is in both it was awesome back in DC\PS2 days plus nostalgia factor .
They have not done any better to me since then so the bar not that high .

Then again I always wonder why SNK never bother to do a KOF anime other than those 4 shorts .
They have some much they could work with and loads of awesome chars .

Also SNK so poor it makes me cry , BB gets anime stuff , BandaiNamco does CG for there games , Capcom does all sort of stuff now.
What does KOF get nothing .

Yeah, I didn't mean to crush on your joyous nostalgia, because, in truth, I'm annoyed myself because they deserve better. :(

I'm surprised they haven't gotten Production IG to do a KoF intro (or like you said, a full fledged Anime). The GitS: SAC style works REALLY well for KoF IMHO. Even the (imo) horrible Falcoon characters looked good.

Anyway, it's not KoF, or even has the "fast paced" styling of a KoF intro, but the Real Bout Dominated Mind Intro is a good example of an anime intro done right (well for SNK I mean). The characters look great AND are animated smoothly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipp_BuKozt4

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Via SNKP, Iori WTPOF Videos!:

Basic / Advanced Combos:
Neomax:

Part of Today's Blog Update: Iori W/Flame Blog Post
------

As far as the openings... the new one is great, and we've seen there's an extender version which is even better!

As far as the old ones... I have to say, I really liked 2k2UMs, btw. Anywho, the anime ones from 98 DC and such were pretty nice. They might have skimped on animation and been in semi-crappy resolutions, but it was great to see the characters in a new art style, and most other games animations were not too much better at the time, anyway.

SNKP would do well to up their old franchises modern-popularity with some quality new OVAs or something. Wish they had a Madhouse-style animation made for them, rather than that live action movie... It'd be great to see things like the NEST or Orochi sagas in modern animation, or maybe even exploring the much-teased Dragon Saga with the Psycho Soldiers and Ron's betrayal and such.

alstein

Mature said:
Well those load times are hard to handle. Six more seconds until they get to see Mai again? Let's be reasonable here!

Hopefully online won't be full of people who haven't installed the game.

SNK really needs to not show the game unless it's installed- people are going to think that the long waits are the installed time, it's very easy to spread misinformation.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
alstein said:
EX Iori looks overpowered at first glance, but I'd need to see him in action, and it's very easy for chars to look overpowered in KOF.
His EX Yamibarai seems to replace his old KOF97 / 98 Eight Sake Glasses DM.
Everyone looks overpowered in KOF ^_^

Kioshen

corkscrewblow said:
Times change. Seven seconds in between rounds is not acceptable in 2011.

Seven seconds is acceptable on a work-in-progress build. You're doing it wrong if you're using a final build to do loktests to test balance changes. Of course the console version is going to have hiccups just like stupid people bitch and moan that the battlefield 3 BETA isn't stable or lacks polish.

Back in the day you wouldn't have had access to unedited early footage of a console port.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
BadWolf said:
That was useless though.
Totally useless. I never understood why they put the 'mash buttons to escape' thing. =/

alstein said:
EX Iori looks overpowered at first glance, but I'd need to see him in action, and it's very easy for chars to look overpowered in KOF.

He's Iori, pretty much 2k2 Iori at that, there is absolutely no way he is anything lower than A tier.

Posted by DarKaoZ at Dream Cancel
European publisher Rising Star Games product manager Yen Hau has done a Q & A session with Spanish KOF community SpekSNK, and there's a bit of new info there. The full text can be read from the link, below is a quick summary.

http://www.speksnk.org/foro/viewtopic.php?p=573616#p573616

-European release date is November 25. Japan is the same. (Japan is probably 24th in this case due to time zone difference. US is 22nd.)
-Netcode will be optimised for broadband and fibre optic connections, SNKP are still working on it. (Don't know when the interview was conducted, but it sounds rather recent)
-No demo before release.
-European version is slated to have a reversable sleeve. Aside on 4-disc preorder bonus, there's a reversable poster (art on one side, command list on the other) and art disc (includes artwork, wallpapers, videos and a visual story of the Ash Saga)

Also, I'll take the initiative to do the Blog translation this time around, give Toxico some breathing time from his usual hard chore.
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiii/blog/archives/2011/10/post_45.html

About Flame Iori

Good day everyone.
...Eh actually, it's pretty late already so it's more like "Good evening". (sweats)

Putting that aside, we've been doing a lot of explanations on the game modes so far. So for a change of pace, we're going to do something we haven't done in a while-- we'll talk about another additional character for the home console.

As people may already know from the PVs [Promo Videos], the third additional character [to the home console] is Iori with the power of flames, AKA flame Iori. He joining into the fight with his costume he wore back when he had his flames! In this article, we'll refer to the normal Iori as "Claw Iori" and the Iori with the power of flames as "Flame Iori" to make things easier to understand.

So let's get started and ask Producer Yama' about the charasteristics of Flame Iori.

Producer Yamamoto: To start off, in terms of direction attacks, he can't use the Geshiki Kui [3+C] that Claw Iori has, but he's regained his Geshiki Goufu In Shinigami [6+B], and he can use it instead.

Ah, so even his direction attack is different from Claw Iori.

Producer Yamamoto: Exactly. As for his specials, he has his old attacks such as Yamibarai, Oniyaki, and Kuzukaze. He also has his good old Aoibana as well, which can be used in the same way like before. Some of the EX specials have unique behaviors. For example, his EX Yamibarai stops the opponent for a limited time like his old Yasakazuki, and his EX Kototsuki is a different attack than his normal one. There might be other uses aside from hitting it regularly...

So that'll be something for us to find out when we use him. So next, let's hear about his supers!

Producer Yamamoto: In terms of his supers, he has his usual Yaotome and the Saika after-attack, and aside from that, he's also got back his Yamisogi. His Yaotome can be done as an EX attack, but it's important to take note that you can't do a Saika afterwards in that case. Also, the visual effects on his HomuraHotogi Neomax is really dynamic, so please try using it.

All the users are probably wondering whether "he's stronger" than Claw Iori. So what about that?

Producer Yamamoto: To be honest, neither of them is really stronger than the other. They both have different fighting styles so we hope people will pick them according to which style they prefer.

For example,
Claw Iori's normal Yaotome doesn't allow opponent to recovery roll / Flame Iori's normal Yaotome can be recovery rolled after it hits
Claw Iori's EX Yaotome can go through a Psycho Ball / Flame Iori's Yaotome will get hit by a Psycho Ball
So even if it's the same move, it can have a different attribute, and it should be interesting to check them out.

Alright. Are there any other noteworthy points regarding Flame Iori?

Yamamoto: Flame Iori has his own stage, and it's a remake of the rival team stage from KOF95, which was Iori's debut KOF title. And in the background, "those three guys" are trying to find their chance to get back into KOF. Also, there's some tidbits that might make old Iori fans react like "Oh?", so please look forward to the game's release.

"Those three guys" sounds interesting, and so does that little tidbit. Can't wait to play the game.
To wrap things up, here are the usual character introduction footages!

And that's all for now. Please try playing with Flame Iori.
See you next update!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
alstein said:
I'd love to see "those three guys" back in KOF period.

I still dream of how awesome Heavy D! would be with His own specials, His buffed up special from Shadowboxing buff, and then EX Versions on top of that. Either he'd have 3 tiers of special move buffs, shadows would give him free EX moves, or he's get EX's that don't count as EX's through shadow, allowing him to combo 2 EX's after each other for the price of 1...

Ralf kind stole his Soul Flower ground pound, but that's ok! Either they could make his work differently, or just replace it. And they'd better keep Dancing Beat! Too many characters lost their command unblockables, and it just makes sense for a Boxer to know how to break guards when up close!

D! in 98UM is too fun. Made me miss him in any KoF's since.

Lucky would bring some height variety to the game, and he's probably get some kind of unique trick, like being able to bounce his basketballs off the side of the screens for he moves, to land some tricky mixups and solidify his pressure strings.

Never cared about Brian, but it'd be cool to see him as an obviously-muscular character, the size of Goro. I'd rather see him replaced by some new girl on the team, and he can run in for her Neomax and assist with adding extra damage, lol. (Sorry robut! ;) )

He'd ape Raiden's shoulder rams, his air spinning would be like an od multi-hit version of Hwa Jai's aerial game, and... -shrug- I dunno.

GrayFoxPL

Flame Iori looks like 20 year old cake. He is dynamic like a yawning panda. Designers were so bored with him that they made his neomax a hop
. :p

Claw Iori > Pink flame Iori

How about Orochi Brian where you turns into J. Max?
jmax-chrge.gif

Top Bottom