• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

To be honest, I have been waiting for XIII from the day XII was first announced. I knew XII would be a stepping stone to move the system into the HD market so I was prepared for how it turned out with its CC brokeness and incomplete characters. However, I am a huge KoF fanboy so it is impossible for me to NOT get hype for a new KoF game. Heck, I am still waiting for new info on that KoF Online beat-em-up game and was sad when MIRA2 was officially cancelled.

No matter what happened with XII, I can't wait for XIII because I want to see how they will conclude the Ash-Those From The Past storyline.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
_dementia said:
they should hire sirlin to rebalance it
He is going to try balance Igniz or somethig...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
After the shit that was Samurai Shodown Sen and the massive disappointment that was KOF XII, I can no longer get hyped for new SNK games. They're going to have to earn my trust again before I buy another one of their new titles.

So for me, this is the "Official Wait and See Thread." Also I will not refer to the game as "KOF XIII," instead I think "KOF XII: Completed Edition" is a more fitting title.

Give me an actual FINISHED game this time around, plus GOOD online play, and I'm onboard. Otherwise, R.I.P. SNK, formerly one of my favorite game developers of all time.

Lyte Edge said:
...plus GOOD online play...

This is a tall order.

Japanese devs don't know shit about online play.

Small Japanese devs like SNK know even less about online play. Mandog's mouth wrote checks SNK's ass wasn't gonna cash with KoF12 and Ignition ended up with egg on their face.

I'm hyped along with you Fersis, but I'm not counting on online play being anything to write home about.

jett

D-Member
Well if that's been patched I guess it's all right, but still I don't really care for custom combos.

The reason I'm mostly interested in KOF13 is the beautiful spritework, really. :p Some people hated on the low-res of the sprites, but personally I think they're really fucking great, the art style, the design, the shading and the animation are all excellent.

otoh I find blazbue's sprites to be repulsive

Swittcher

Banned
KOFXII proved that just because you spent 15,000 man hours animating 2D sprites, you can still become the most disappointing fighting game released all year.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The Take Out Bandit said:
This is a tall order.

Small Japanese devs like SNK know even less about online play. Mandog's mouth wrote checks SNK's ass wasn't gonna cash with KoF12 and Ignition ended up with egg on their face.

I'm hyped along with you Fersis, but I'm not counting on online play being anything to write home about.

Blazblue.

After Blazblue, there's no longer an excuse for terrible online play in 2D fighters except laziness.

jett said:
Well if that's been patched I guess it's all right, but still I don't really care for custom combos.

The reason I'm mostly interested in KOF13 is the beautiful spritework, really. :p Some people hated on the low-res of the sprites, but personally I think they're really fucking great, the art style, the design, the shading and the animation are all excellent.

People hating KoF12 visuals have no god damn frame of reference. After over a decade of the same sprites, KoF12 sprites were an amazing upgrade.

BB sprites are technically nice; just ASW garbage character designs make them mega shit.

After the last few years and couple of games, SNKP has got to work hard to earn back my trust. I'll buy the next BlazBlue, Virtua Fighter or Street Fighter without batting an eye. King of Fighters XIII is going to have to be something pretty special to get me to buy it.

jaundicejuice said:
After the last few years and couple of games, SNKP has got to work hard to earn back my trust.

Because you're actively ignoring all the awesome KoF games that came before KoF12? :|

I'll buy the next BlazBlue...

Reno's been mentioning character balances in this edition are even more fucked up than the original release. Which is unfortunate, because I really want to love the game, but ASW isn't making it easy.

Virtua Fighter...

Only if SEGA can get that shit online on consoles not named Xbox.

or Street Fighter...

Gotta support that bronze medal winning netcode! :lol

Street Fighter 4 could have curried points if it had a competent online execution and stable netcode, but it's definitely bottom tier when stacked against BlazBlue and SF2HDR. Also have to love that "Quick Match" that isn't.

Hunahan

Banned
Hahaha. I told ya so.

I told ya all so.

I knew we'd get a new one this year. My KOFXII thread posts are all vindicated.

Can't wait. Hype +10.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SNK makes ONE horrible KOF game and people go nuts.

I didn't see people complaining about Capcom doing Capcom Fighting Jam, when that was release, god that game was bad. :lol

And plz, don't even compare KOF12 to SF4 or BlazBlue, because they all have their faults and pros.

SF4:
- 3D Polygon characters, easier and faster to do.
- Annoying Reward gameplay system for getting your ass kick
- Average to good online network
- Annoying unlocking system
- Lame Story Mode
- No Replay mode (Championship mode Replay sucks)
- Acceptable Balancing (with some exceptions)
- Boring Backgrounds (compared to other SF tittles)
- Horrible Music (there only 1 or 2 good songs and the remixes aren't that good)

BlazBlue:
- 12 characters only, which are nice looking but could be animated better
- Unbalance
- Great Story Mode
- Amazing Online
- Acceptable music (I like it, but lots of people don't)
- Ok Backgrounds... I think...
- Great Presentation
- Save any gotdamn Replay you want!
- Awesome replay mode!
- Great Battle system that punish you for been to defensive or bursting (I like that, but the game been unbalanced, doesn't make it shine)

KOF12:
- No Story (But when KOF comes with a story, its damn good)
- Bad to Average Online after patch
- AWESOME GAMEPLAY MECHANICS
- 22 Amazing animated characters
- New art style
- No Mai (Yay, from my part, I find her annoying)
- Missing a lot of favorites Characters ( this shouldnt be an excuse at all, since SF4 also miss a lot of favorties but I don't see people using it as an excuse )
- Saves every damn replay you want like BlazBlue
- Clan mode (sucks that online didn't let it work properly)
- Awesome music
- Great Backgrounds ( I find them eye pleasing )
- Balanced cast (team base battle helps the balancing more)

Can't think of any pros and cons on those 3 games, but damn people really like to make KOF12 look the worse. Yes it was a damn unfinished product, but the gameplay is amazing and balanced.

Yes there is 2 damn infinites, but they are damn hard to pull out and besides SF4 also have infinites, which are also hard to pull.

But I'm here because I can't wait to see what characters will appear in KOF13, I can't wait to see K and Kula in the new style! :D

Tain

I didn't see people complaining about Capcom doing Capcom Fighting Jam

Seriously? You've got pretty selective memory, then.

KOF12:
- No Story
- Bad to Average Online after patch
- AWESOME GAMEPLAY MECHANICS

Yes it was a damn unfinished product, but the gameplay is amazing and balanced.

I'm gonna need serious elaboration here.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
-DarKaoZ- said:

I didn't see people complaining about Capcom doing Capcom Fighting Jam, when that was release, god that game was bad. :lol

And plz, don't even compare KOF12 to SF4 or BlazBlue, because they all have their faults and pros.

But I'm here because I can't wait to see what characters will appear in KOF13, I can't wait to see K and Kula in the new style! :D

^ at least half of those pros and cons are incredibly subjective, to the point where they depend entirely on your personal taste. The only quantitative elements are a) netcode, b) extras, c) number of fully fleshed out characters, and d) glitches. All of which King of Fighters XII fails at.

All it takes is one game. And when you're a company that releases so few games per year, that one game means much more than a few bad apples from a larger publisher/developer.

I wanna see new characters in the new KoF style, too. I think everyone here that's complaining DOES want KoFXIII to be something special, but they're skeptical and they have a right to be because they spent their money in good faith on a product that was completely unfinished.

-DarKaoZ- said:

No, but to be fair; by that time the casuals were bored with fighting games and even the hardcore fans were laughing at Capcom recycling that old ass Morrigan sprite.

I'm sure there would have been an uproar if developer apathy didn't turn all but the hardcore's interest away at the door. :lol

What's funny is how people are trumpeting the "fighting game comeback", when it's just what I've been fuckin' saying since 2002:

Online play or GTFO!

See, even with busted ass online play fighting games can find an audience!

Anyhow, I really - really - really wish SNK would incorporate some of the Garou characters into KoF. Everybody wants Mai - I want more sexy pirate with B.Jenet!

Then we can settle Ninjas vs. Pirates online. ;)

Garou just had such amazing god damn character designs. Don't let them rot SNK! :mad:

Frankfurt

Banned
Don't forget what was missing from KOF XII:

.data:827B0660 # "elisabeth"
.data:827B0664 .long aDuolon_0 # "duolon"
.data:827B0668 .long aShen_0 # "shen"
.data:827B066C .long aKyo_0 # "kyo"
.data:827B0670 .long aBenimaru_0 # "benimaru"
.data:827B0674 .long aDaimon # "daimon"
.data:827B0678 .long aIori_0 # "iori"
.data:827B067C .long aMature_0 # "mature"
.data:827B0680 .long aVice_0 # "vice"
.data:827B0684 .long aTerry_0 # "terry"
.data:827B0688 .long aAndy_0 # "andy"
.data:827B068C .long aJoe_0 # "joe"
.data:827B0690 .long aAthena_0 # "athena"
.data:827B0694 .long aKensou_0 # "kensou"
.data:827B0698 .long aChin_0 # "chin"
.data:827B069C .long aKim_0 # "kim"
.data:827B06A0 .long aHwa_0 # "hwa"
.data:827B06A4 .long aRaiden_0 # "raiden"
.data:827B06A8 .long aRyo_0 # "ryo"
.data:827B06AC .long aRobert_0 # "robert"
.data:827B06B0 .long aTakuma_0 # "takuma"
.data:827B06B4 .long aRalf_0 # "ralf"
.data:827B06B8 .long aClark_0 # "clark"
.data:827B06BC .long aLeona_0 # "leona"
.data:827B06C0 .long aAsh_0 # "ash"
.data:827B06C4 .long aBoss_chara # "boss_chara"
.data:827B06C8 .long aDarkash_chara # "darkash_chara"
.data:827B06CC .long aMai_0 # "mai"
.data:827B06D0 .long aKing_0 # "king"
.data:827B06D4 .long aYuri_0 # "yuri"
.data:827B06D8 .long aIori98_0 # "iori98"
.data:827B06DC .long aBilly_0 # "billy"

Mai, Yuri, King, Takuma, King, Vice, Billy, Hwa Jai, Dark Ash, Iori with fireball and the boss. Those complete full teams, even (Hwa - Rayden - Billy).

Considering 4 of those are headswaps on some level (Hwa, Vice, Iori, Ash) and the boss shouldn't have a full movelist, it's actually possible they'll have them all complete, since they would make 5.5 characters a year (22 characters in 4 years) for XII.

I doubt they'll have the 3 new characters that were supposed to be in XII and had the early idle sprites made, though:

http://www.betomachado.com/?p=1154

Cowie

Would like for this to be good. Inadvertently dodged a bullet by missing out on kof12, but I was at least moderately interested.

My ulterior motive would be that.. I'm going to China later this year, which I understand means I'm basically required to play KOF if I frequent arcades. I'd like for there to be a sort of newish game I can learn on, rather than being god knows how late trying to learn 98um.

Souther

Banned
They should let the fans decide on 3 characters to add for this installment by taking a poll.

They did this when KOF 97 came out and thats how Yamazaki, Billy and Mary were included.

97 Special team.

Lyte Edge

This is a tall order.

Nah. Some certainly needed patches first, but SNK's games have been the only fighting games this entire console generation that have delved into the "completely unplayable online" status. XII ended up being even worse than some of SNK's XBLA games. I will still go and play '98 UM occasionally, but haven't touched XII since last summer.

People hating KoF12 visuals have no god damn frame of reference. After over a decade of the same sprites, KoF12 sprites were an amazing upgrade.

Some are awesome, others are just...WTF. Give me the old Ralf n' Clark over those XII-blobs any day. Not the biggest fan of Athena's sprite either.

I still like a lot of the art style that the older sprites had, too, but I'm not complaining. I do wish those sprites were actually 720P though.

Because you're actively ignoring all the awesome KoF games that came before KoF12? :|

And see, there actually was a good KOF released in 2009. Most of the posters here don't seem to have played it, but KOF 2002 Unlimited Match was a great release, and it ended up being popular enough to stay on the top 10 arcade charts and get a tourney or two. XII in comparison was virtually ignored.

Hunahan said:
Hahaha. I told ya so.

I told ya all so.

I knew we'd get a new one this year. My KOFXII thread posts are all vindicated.

Can't wait. Hype +10.

You told who? :lol Only an idiot would think that there wouldn't be a new KOF this year. There always is, in some form, a new KOF yearly. We all knew XIII -or KOF XII "Black"- was coming.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
My personal prediction is that the game is going to be MUCH better than KOF12 was, but will not dethrone KOF2002UM as the top KOF game in the country. I have a dislike for KOF but even I can admit that 2K2UM is pretty god damn fun to play and watch.

Lyte Edge

One advantage to SF4 going poly is that it will be a hell of a lot easier for Capcom to upgrade the game visually. Get used to seeing those XII sprites for a long, long time.

I'd be hyped but unlike Capcom with Super Street Fighter IV, SNK shown that they care more about what they want than what fans want.

I mean for crying out loud, how can they not put Mai in XII? That's like leaving Chun-Li out of SFIV!!!

Lyte Edge

Oichi said:
My personal prediction is that the game is going to be MUCH better than KOF12 was, but will not dethrone KOF2002UM as the top KOF game in the country. I have a dislike for KOF but even I can admit that 2K2UM is pretty god damn fun to play and watch.

I like '98 UM more myself, but yeah, new sprites or no, it's hard to complete with another version in the same series with freaking EVERYBODY selectable and more familiar game play -with new moves to boot-. Plus the game is the third version of 2002, which was one of the more popular entries in the series.

Not to sure how balanced 2002 UM is, although IIRC a lot of the overpowered characters are the home-only bosses/alternate versions.

Lyte Edge

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'd be hyped but unlike Capcom with Super Street Fighter IV, SNK shown that they care more about what they want than what fans want.

I mean for crying out loud, how can they not put Mai in XII? That's like leaving Chun-Li out of SFIV!!!

There's no way that Mai isn't going to be in XIII. No way.

I would like to know how many people clamoring for Mai actually use the character. :lol

Lyte Edge said:

I would like to know how many people clamoring for Mai actually use the character. :lol
Yeah, I don't play Mai either. :D

But the point is fan-service and legacy, and respect for the series.

Lyte Edge said:
Nah. Some certainly needed patches first, but SNK's games have been the only fighting games this entire console generation that have delved into the "completely unplayable online" status. XII ended up being even worse than some of SNK's XBLA games. I will still go and play '98 UM occasionally, but haven't touched XII since last summer.

XBLA games = Microsoft hand holding.

SNK needs to develop titles for multiple platforms with online play themselves in order to be relevant to the larger console market. MS isn't going to help you get decent netcode on a Sony system.

Some are awesome, others are just...WTF. Give me the old Ralf n' Clark over those XII-blobs any day. Not the biggest fan of Athena's sprite either.

I'll take it. I don't mind.

I still like a lot of the art style that the older sprites had, too, but I'm not complaining. I do wish those sprites were actually 720P though.

They're still gorgeous even not at 720P. I was watching the game on a huge HDTV and just soaking it all in, it was the 2D sequel to KoF, visually, that I wanted.

And see, there actually was a good KOF released in 2009. Most of the posters here don't seem to have played it, but KOF 2002 Unlimited Match was a great release, and it ended up being popular enough to stay on the top 10 arcade charts and get a tourney or two. XII in comparison was virtually ignored.

Well that's where Japanese / Western tastes differ. Last year we got KoF98UM and only the hardcore fans picked it up. Everybody else passed because it's an old ass 2D fighter, no online play, and on last generation hardware.

Hope they release 2002UM here at some point. Will probably get about as much play as the rest of my fighters though. Bought Samurai Shodown Anthology last year, god damn thing is still in the shrink wrap. None of my pals locally like fighters that involve more than button mashing (SC4 is a real hit) and I won't waste my time against a computer. :\

Would be double nice if they could get someone like Backbone to localize 2002UM and incorporate the netcode they developed for the Capcom fighters.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
SNK pocket fighter please.

fa1no3.gif

Shadow780 said:
XI was underrated too, didn't see much of a day here...

just pack 98UM and 02UM with GGPO netcode, I'll buy it @ $60.

You so crazy!

Release them on XBLA/PSN for $15 a pop. You'll be sending them to die at $60 in today's market.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I hope they get rid of the zoom-in on the sprites though. They make the sprites look hella ugly, but if they were always zoomed out they'd look pretty damn spiffy.

DIRTY-D

GuardianE said:
Blazblue.

After Blazblue, there's no longer an excuse for terrible online play in 2D fighters except laziness.

Blazeblue gets my GlazeGoo!

I hated the style of those Gothy, Tim Burton looking, Robert Smith morbid dudes with fishing gear and tassles. bah.

Knowing that SNK would milk the KOFXII sprites for the next 20 years, I'm glad I skipped XII so that SNK can make a better game for the sequels.

Hope XIII is good.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DIRTY-D said:
Blazeblue gets my GlazeGoo!

I hated the style of those Gothy, Tim Burton looking, Robert Smith morbid dudes with fishing gear and tassles. bah.

Even if you thought the art design was hideous or the music atrocious (neither of which I agree with), you cannot deny how buttery smooth the netplay was. That's what KoFXIII needs to strive for to be relevant.

ZoddGutts

Oichi said:
I hope they get rid of the zoom-in on the sprites though. They make the sprites look hella ugly, but if they were always zoomed out they'd look pretty damn spiffy.

That's what happens when they make the resolution of the sprites 480p in an era of 720p/1080p TV sets. Now were stuck with those resolution of those sprites for god who knows how many years.

Lyte Edge said:

Right here. Depends on the version available in the game though. I perfer the version from 99 on up because of the air game.

GuardianE said:
Even if you thought the art design was hideous or the music atrocious (neither of which I agree with), you cannot deny how buttery smooth the netplay was. That's what KoFXIII needs to strive for to be relevant.
blazblue also has massive input time windows compared to other fighters, so that really helps in the online setting

ccbfan

XIII is probably gonna be bad/mediocre anyways. XV or later is gonna be where its at.

It takes a least 3 KOfs before a good one pops up. (Not counting ports and remakes)

First good one was 98. Then 2002 was great then XI was OK.

XIII is probably gonna be a slightly tweaked system with the characters they took out plus 4 new characters, a storyline and a final boss.

jett said:

Marry me.

CPS2

ZoddGutts said:
Now were stuck with those resolution of those sprites for god who knows how many years.

I doubt that. They would've made the sprites in very high res then reduced them when putting them into the game. There's not really anything stopping them from using higher res sprites.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
ccbfan said:
XIII is probably gonna be bad/mediocre anyways. XV or later is gonna be where its at.

It takes a least 3 KOfs before a good one pops up. (Not counting ports and remakes)

First good one was 98. Then 2002 was great then XI was OK.

XIII is probably gonna be a slightly tweaked system with the characters they took out plus 4 new characters, a storyline and a final boss.

Not necessarily, in my case I prefer 97 over 98 and 00 over 02. XI is the most interesting KOF of all, I prefer to play KOFXI in Team Batle and not TAG Battle. (Tag = team mates jumping in etc).

And I know I'm not alone, they might not like 97 or 00 in specific, but they might enjoy other KOF besides 98 and 02.

outsidah

I'm a huge SNK fan (of their past work anyway) and used to buy up all kinds of SNK crap. All of their new stuff has been nothing but let downs. I'm tired of putting down money for their product day one only to have crap like KOF12 delivered to me.

I really tried to give it a chance, I didn't care the roster was small... but at least make the online PLAYABLE. There is no fun in having a modern fighter I paid $60 which I can't play with anyone because the netcode is broken. I don't bring buddies over to my house like when I was 12 to play a fighter... that's what online is for.

Top Bottom